Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Eve of Destruction - Ballad of Green Berets
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 15, 2020 17:47

Interesting read, IMHO, especially for those of us who were there, meaning back in the day. It's funny to hear the singer for the Spokesmen emulate the gravelly sound of Barry McGuire's voice. For me, I never heard of the Spokesmen or this song before this article. The article also brought back memories of how diversified pop radio was back in the 1960s regarding what went out over the airwaves.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: Eve of Destruction - Ballad of Green Berets
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 15, 2020 18:13

Unfortunate choice of a topic, IMHO.

I am afraid it may quickly tilt over into political fight.

d.f

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 15, 2020 18:25

I think it's the most babyboomerish song I know

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 15, 2020 18:57

That's what was great with the top 40 during that time. You had soul, rock, soft rock, bubblegum, novelty tunes, all in the top 40.
Eve of Destruction came out in 1965 a few years before a much larger protest movement. Maybe PF Sloan saw it coming on fast.

Date: October 15, 2020 19:09

No intention to start a political fight here. Just passing on something I read that made me think of what was on the radio back then and remembering all the different sounds we were exposed to.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:01

Nice tune . I do agree with the post that spoke of how diverse radio was back then versus today . As a kid messing around with the radio stations in Dads car exposed me to so much and diverse music . From Country and Western to Pop , to Soul , to Jazz , to Classical ,to Rock and the Blues . Do you know what else was great about radio back then ? There wasn't all the annoying political commentary shows as there are today .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:27

Not the mention the diversity of variety shows ala Ed Sullivan.

One might see Ray Charles, Roger Miller, Johnny Cash, The Temptations, any random rock band, etc. on any given show.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 16, 2020 16:34

I do miss that kind of radio. Everything has a format now because they they have a precise demographic they think they can get the most advertising $$ to pitch too.

My random Playlist that routinely plays at my home is a bit like this, and I get constant complaints ("I don't like country" , "I only like 80's", blah, blah, blah). Give it 10 minutes and I assure you'll hear a different format. People are too intolerant, if it's not 100% of what they like, they don't like any of it.

I commonly hear "I don't recognize any of this". Well how do you hear new music? I didn't recognize it either before the first time I heard it and liked it.

Oh and the other comment I frequently hear is "good God another Stones song?" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 00:25 by kovach.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2020 15:46

They're not great records to dance to. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-17 15:48 by tatters.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 17, 2020 17:21

I think the biggest difference in the 60s is that all we (the teens) had was our radios and, with some exceptions in the big cities, we all listened to the same music growing up. That may be a somewhat over generalized but it was the same with TV as well. We all saw the artists on Ed Sullivan, American Bandstand, or in the UK Top of the Pops etc. This contributed to our shared memories. That is not as much the case with current generations.

HBK

Date: October 17, 2020 23:06

"I think the biggest difference in the 60s is that all we (the teens) had was our radios and, with some exceptions in the big cities, we all listened to the same music growing up."

Yep, the age of the pocket size transistor radio. The Walkman of its day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home