Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shortest 'Modern-Era' Rolling Stones Concert
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 14, 2020 23:48

I would rather hear ten normally unperformed songs in a small venue than a three hour extravaganza in some stadium. Maybe I am alone on this.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2020 23:53

If its a REALLY-REALLY small venue you probably would be alone ...HHHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2020 01:51

SARS Benefit 2003 had just 16 songs and included Miss You w/Justin Timberlake which should only count as half a song ha.
Setlist also included Rock Me Baby with Angus and Malcolm Young guesting which evidently was a highlight of the Stones' set.
According to most in attendance, AC/DC's set blew the Stones away, and according to a few Rush also blew the Stones away.
While the AC/DC story seems possible I suppose, the Rush story seems to be a myth invented by some Canadians rooting for their Canadian band.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 15, 2020 02:42

deardoctor
You got me rocking
JJF

That's it. Thread closed. Thank you

You beat me to it. That show made up for it with all the other great acts. I was lucky enough to be in the 26th row.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 03:58

long shows as a norm began in 1981 with around 25 songs as a typical set list, for some of the 1989 tour, the set list grew to 28 songs for some shows. in 1986 knebworth was 30 songs but typically of that tour the average figure was 17.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:45

The 1978 Tour had very short shows. The Some Girls songs were relatively short, and played fast. Miss You was not the extended (way too long IMO) thing it has been since. I believe the show in Buffalo was well under 90 minutes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:53

Stones rendition of

“You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
during Global Citizen’s One World:.......April 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 09:42

buffalo7478
The 1978 Tour had very short shows. The Some Girls songs were relatively short, and played fast. Miss You was not the extended (way too long IMO) thing it has been since. I believe the show in Buffalo was well under 90 minutes.

Miss You on live in Texas is way over 8 minutes long

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 15, 2020 11:38

Cooltoplady
Big Al
I was enquiring about the length of the shows’ duration; not the number of songs. Private gigs don’t count grinning smiley

I don't think people bring stop watches to Stones concerts. You're asking a lot.

bv probably does! grinning smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 15, 2020 11:58

In 1998 tour:
20 songs Den Haag 2.15hours
21 songs Werchter 2.10hours

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 15, 2020 13:35

daspyknows
deardoctor
You got me rocking
JJF

That's it. Thread closed. Thank you

You beat me to it. That show made up for it with all the other great acts. I was lucky enough to be in the 26th rowg.

Must have been cool. Lucky you!

Date: October 15, 2020 13:36

tioms
In 1998 tour:

They could very well be the shortest in duration. Wasn't the average set-list around 23 songs during that tour?

It's interesting how it's gradually decreased since the Steel Wheels Tour: 27-28 songs; Urban Jungle was, what?, around 24 on average?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 15, 2020 15:10

Big Al
tioms
In 1998 tour:

They could very well be the shortest in duration. Wasn't the average set-list around 23 songs during that tour?

It's interesting how it's gradually decreased since the Steel Wheels Tour: 27-28 songs; Urban Jungle was, what?, around 24 on average?

The point tioms makes here is that more songs don’t necessarily mean a longer show, and also less songs don’t necessarily mean a shorter show.

A few experiences of mine:
1. I saw Edmonton first night, Canada, in 1994. They played 23 songs and the show duration was 2 hrs and 5 mins IIRC. Relatively short considering the number of the songs played.
2. I attended the Budokan in 2003. They played 19 songs over 2 hrs (can’t remember the exact length). Two days after, they played 20 songs at the Yokohama Arena — although I wasn’t there, it was reported that the show lasted less than 2 hrs.

I think, that Budokan is the only occasion of the above three where they played Midnight Rambler, usually the longest song of their live repertoire, made a difference, among other factors.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 15:19

RisingStone
Big Al
tioms
In 1998 tour:

The point tioms makes here is that more songs don’t necessarily mean a longer show, and also less songs don’t necessarily mean a shorter show.

A few experiences of mine:
1. I saw Edmonton first night, Canada, in 1994. They played 23 songs and the show duration was 2 hrs and 5 mins IIRC. Relatively short considering the number of the songs played.
2. I attended the Budokan in 2003. They played 19 songs over 2 hrs (can’t remember the exact length). Two days after, they played 20 songs at the Yokohama Arena — although I wasn’t there, it was reported that the show lasted less than 2 hrs.

I think, that Budokan is the only occasion of the above three where they played Midnight Rambler, usually the longest song of their live repertoire, made a difference, among other factors.

In South America they sometimes played 18 songs clocking in at over 2h15min

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 15, 2020 15:51

Big Al

Wasn't the average set-list around 23 songs during that tour?

One more thing: In 1998, they usually played 22 songs in North America, Japan and South America (as they did in North America in 1997), while they mostly played 21 songs in Europe — on the latter, they dropped You Can’t Always Get What You Want except for a few occasions, which was an encore staple previously.

I saw all but one of the 1998 Japanese shows, 5 out of 6. They played 22 songs every night (including the opening Tokyo show that I missed) and the show duration was invariably 2hrs and 20 mins.

Date: October 15, 2020 16:05

RisingStone

One more thing: In 1998, they usually played 22 songs in North America, Japan and South America (as they did in North America in 1997), while they mostly played 21 songs in Europe — on the latter, they dropped You Can’t Always Get What You Want except for a few occasions, which was an encore staple previously.

I saw all but one of the 1998 Japanese shows, 5 out of 6. They played 22 songs every night (including the opening Tokyo show that I missed) and the show duration was invariably 2hrs and 20 mins.

Thanks for the insight, there. I do find the steady decrease interesting. It was very noticeable to me on my first Stones tour: Licks. It was around 22 or 21 songs in North America - 23 on the opening-night, if I recollect correctly - before eventually dropping to 19 foe Europe. I've never really understood the general reasoning.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:16

The Isle of Wight festival 2007 show was pretty short and only 15 songs.

Taken from the IORR review:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Rough Justice
Love In Vain (with guest Paolo Nutini)
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Ain't Too Proud To Beg (with guest Amy Winehouse)
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
I Wanna Hold You (Keith)
Slipping Away (Keith)
Miss You (to B-stage)
Satisfaction (B-stage)
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

The Rolling Stones : 9:13pm - 10:46pm

But are we including festival shows in this? Or private ones? Or one-off specials such as superbowl?

Date: October 15, 2020 22:30

I was at this concert. I believe it was the first time they played "She Was Hot".

I remember Ronnie wearing a heavy coat and yes it was freezing cold.

DandelionPowderman
Chicago, October 11 2006, must have been a short one. Freezing cold, apparently:

You Got Me Rocking
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Sway
She Was Hot
Streets Of Love
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Little T&A (Keith)
Under My Thumb (to B-stage)
Rough Justice
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar (encore)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 17, 2020 13:33

The 121212 performance was pretty short.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home