Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Jack White on SNL
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:46

Not moved by this at all.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 15, 2020 21:27

Brothers and sisters....

Why are we fighting??

How many of you saw the previous week's musical guest, Megan Thee Stallion?

That, sadly, is the state of popular music.

I don't put Jack White among the all-time greats...but if you like guitar-based rock music, you should appreciate that a relatively younger artist is doing what he's doing.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 15, 2020 22:14

Younger artist?!

The guy is 45 and been in the industry for almost 25 years.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 22:34

Not usually moved by Jack but loved both of his SNL performances. Reminded me of Jimi's Band of Gypsies...only on steroids. A vast improvement over the torpid schlock that passes for music on SNL these days.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: October 15, 2020 23:48

The singing in the SNL performances reminds me a lot of Rage against the machine. Not for me.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 16, 2020 03:23

Jack White that same evening played another of his songs:

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 17, 2020 05:37

SomeTorontoGirl
Because so many of you are fans, I watched the SNL clip before commenting. And he was better than I expected. But not good enough to forgive him for what he did to Loving Cup in Shine A Light.

I dug him on Loving Cup as one of the highlights of the LP. What did he do that so offended you?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 17, 2020 14:07

exactly....I don't get the hate against this guy....must be envy.....just a wtf moment for me...if you love the Stones...if you love rock n roll...why hate JAck White....just stupid!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: October 17, 2020 16:54

I am sorry, but I do not like how he plays and shout. I do not hate him, but for me he makes terrible music. And the drummer... Does he play like that to get noticed?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 17, 2020 22:15

stonesstein
[[b]I dug him on Loving Cup as one of the highlights of the LP. What did he do that so offended you?[/b]

To me, it came off as nasal, whiney and wildly out of tune. I shudder to think of it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2020 22:43

I'm with ya SomeTorontoGirl - he ruined it just like Dave Matthews ruined Memory Motel, and Gwen Stefani ruined Wild Horses, and Axl Rose ruined Salt of the Earth, and Justin Timberlake ruined Miss You, and whoever else ruined whatever other song they performed with the Stones. There's only been a very small handful of performers who have been able to share the stage and guest vocally on a tune succesfully with the Stones, and none of the above are on the list IMO. There's been some mediocre/average guests (Dave Grohl on Bitch), but most have been terrible. Buddy Guy and Bonnie Raitt are the first two that come to mind that didn't taint the tune they guested on - they enhanced it and made it something special.

Date: October 17, 2020 23:27

I thought Axl did good. Grohl was awful.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:38

SomeTorontoGirl
stonesstein
[[b]I dug him on Loving Cup as one of the highlights of the LP. What did he do that so offended you?[/b]

To me, it came off as nasal, whiney and wildly out of tune. I shudder to think of it.

Its a girly sniveling voice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2020 23:41

girly sniveling lol....just like Axl is girly whining...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 18, 2020 00:25

capsula
And the drummer... Does he play like that to get noticed?

He's mostly a hip hop drummer, different approach and techniques.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 18, 2020 02:23

Hairball
I'm with ya SomeTorontoGirl - he ruined it just like Dave Matthews ruined Memory Motel, and Gwen Stefani ruined Wild Horses, and Axl Rose ruined Salt of the Earth, and Justin Timberlake ruined Miss You, and whoever else ruined whatever other song they performed with the Stones. There's only been a very small handful of performers who have been able to share the stage and guest vocally on a tune succesfully with the Stones, and none of the above are on the list IMO. There's been some mediocre/average guests (Dave Grohl on Bitch), but most have been terrible. Buddy Guy and Bonnie Raitt are the first two that come to mind that didn't taint the tune they guested on - they enhanced it and made it something special.

David Grohl and Mick did well here: honestly I don't remember the last time the Stones played IORR wit that kind of passion!
[youtu.be]
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 18, 2020 02:57

Hairball
...Buddy Guy and Bonnie Raitt are the first two that come to mind that didn't taint the tune they guested on - they enhanced it and made it something special.

They would be the same 2 I think of, at least since 2000. Buddy impressed me so much in SAL that I added Milwaukee to my 2015 tour schedule when I heard he was going to open. Figured they would have him out for Champagne and Reefer and I was not disappointed. grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 18, 2020 05:27

Tonights show is a repeat from '88 with musical guest Keith Richards & the X-pensive Winos.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: October 18, 2020 05:38

MisterDDDD
Tonights show is a repeat from '88 with musical guest Keith Richards & the X-pensive Winos.

[twitter.com]
cool!! Got it on.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 18, 2020 18:00

I don't quite get him either.

Went to see him once, loved it at first, then it just seemed to be the same stuff a half hour later, somewhat after that I got bored and left.

I did like the album he did with Loretta Lynn though on the Van Lear Rose album. Was going to post the original video of "Portland, Oregon" here but can't seem to find it! They looked like they were having a blast in the studio.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 18, 2020 18:43

loog droog
Brothers and sisters....

Why are we fighting??

How many of you saw the previous week's musical guest, Megan Thee Stallion?

That, sadly, is the state of popular music.

I don't put Jack White among the all-time greats...but if you like guitar-based rock music, you should appreciate that a relatively younger artist is doing what he's doing.

This!
Not a huge Jack White fan but would much rather see him then that Meagan Stallion or Cardi B crap! The sad state of popular music indeed! smileys with beer

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 18, 2020 19:56

That fancy drum set up has him running behind the beat often, otherwise good performance.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 20, 2020 02:28

that Jesus one is like voodoo chile @#$%& Mississippi queen.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home