Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Jack White on SNL
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 13, 2020 23:47

Jack channeling rockandroll his own way; maybe the last of a dying breed.
Keep on rocking Jack!
Rock and roll,
Mops

[youtu.be]

Re: OT: Jack White on SNL
Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: October 14, 2020 00:42

Wish like hell Jagger/Richards would boot Don Was and bring in Jack White to produce.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 14, 2020 00:48

My favorite current artist, and the fan community was going bananas during this performance. I get that he's not for everyone, but this saved 2020 for me. (Was even topical, with a song about the 1918 pandemic and his song Lazaretto which means a place for people in quarantine.)

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 14, 2020 00:53

The guy plays guitar like a 2 year old. He has a voice of a woman. Keep the white makeup Jack and go back to being a mime.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 00:55

Nice tribute to EVH.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2020 01:04

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 14, 2020 03:56

He was awesome ! a TRUE original in todays music world full of posers

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 14, 2020 04:36

Saw The White Stripes open for The Stones in Columbus in 2002, and went out for souvenirs and refreshments... they sounded rough IMO...

But, my best Stones bud is a fan so we went to see The Dead Weather at the LC Pavilion, and then Jack solo at Schottenstein Center when Lazzaretto was released, and he has grown on me. I like his respect for his roots and versatility, too.

Weird how an artist can chase ya down as time goes by...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:14

I'm kind of the opposite TKinOH - I liked the first couple of White Stripes albums, but lost interest after that. I sort of liked Steady as She Goes by the Raconteurs, but nothing else after has kept my interest - including all of his solo albums. I saw him at the Arroyo Festival in Pasadena a couple of years ago w/ a bunch of bands including The Pretenders, The Specials, and Neil Young headlining on the first night, and have to say Jack White was miserable/horrible - just really far removed from what he once was. While the SNL performance was OK, his style has become too spastic and erratic. Not really my cup of tea, but evidently he still has some fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-14 05:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:26

Yes, he still has millions of fans, and I'm one. You always hear just that touch of Zeppelin in his music, just like you always hear Chuck Berry in the Stones. Was lucky enough to see the White Stripes in 2005 at the Greek in Los Angeles. Incredible. We are lucky someone that talented, and relatively young, will be around to entertain us for a while.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:32

Weird drum setup....

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 14, 2020 06:12

Paddy
Weird drum setup....
Interesting drum setup.

I’m not a drummer, but the separation and tilt of the drums seems to trade speed for having more power when he lands. Daru Jones has to swing his arms more for each smack, which seems to give his drumming more oomph.

I’m curious what the drummers here think.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 14, 2020 06:28

Because so many of you are fans, I watched the SNL clip before commenting. And he was better than I expected. But not good enough to forgive him for what he did to Loving Cup in Shine A Light.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 14, 2020 08:34

SomeTorontoGirl
Because so many of you are fans, I watched the SNL clip before commenting. And he was better than I expected. But not good enough to forgive him for what he did to Loving Cup in Shine A Light.

Oh well, thanks for giving him a shot, anyway!

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 10:40

Cooltoplady
The guy plays guitar like a 2 year old. He has a voice of a woman. Keep the white makeup Jack and go back to being a mime.

Well... that was interesting.

Date: October 14, 2020 10:41

Jack White is seriously one of the best blues player around. When he plays the blues. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:07

I really enjoyed White Blood Cells circa 2002. The White Stripes were up there with The Strokes and The Libertines in my late-teen eyes. I used to play Fell In Love With A Girl over and over again. I lost interest in Jack White after Elephant, though.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 14, 2020 13:22

He was very good !

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 14, 2020 15:57

I first thought somebody played from the other side of the drums.
To the drummer this makes no sense.You'll often hit the rims.
Just another gimmick.Or did he have a contract for his heads? winking smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 14, 2020 16:29

that was great, thanks for posting.

Date: October 14, 2020 16:43

That was good!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 14, 2020 22:19

I never could understand why anyone bothered to listen to him. Very dull, too loud, like an amateur, only worse!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 15, 2020 03:13

mickschix
I never could understand why anyone bothered to listen to him. Very dull, too loud, like an amateur, only worse!

Some of us like the too loud and amateurish Approach to guitar playing and music.
grinning smiley

I was at the witnness festival in Ireland a long time ago now I guess and it pissed rain as it does in Ireland. I scooted into a tent to get out of the downpour just as a drummer and guitar player started their set. I stayed and thought they were really cool. Detroit as all hell...
Then 6 months later they were everywhere!

Date: October 15, 2020 03:59

GivenToFly15
Jack White is seriously one of the best blues player around. When he plays the blues. eye rolling smiley

are you kidding me?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 15, 2020 14:02

JW is great....what's the problem?

Date: October 15, 2020 17:57

mickschix

The guy is awful, you are right.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 15, 2020 19:33

I think he's great. I like some of his solo stuff better than any of his work in his various bands. The solo albums are just him in his candy store doing whatever...although I suppose that's true in his band work, too.

He is carrying blues-based rock on his shoulders in many ways, along with Gary Clark, Jr. I love his respect and knowledge of blues legends and even his interest in recording on old equipment/gear.

Date: October 15, 2020 19:57

Cooltoplady
GivenToFly15

are you kidding me?

I don't care what you think. If you don't want to listen to him, that's your problem. But don't pretend you know about his music, then.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:07

floodonthepage
I think he's great. I like some of his solo stuff better than any of his work in his various bands. The solo albums are just him in his candy store doing whatever...although I suppose that's true in his band work, too.

He is carrying blues-based rock on his shoulders in many ways, along with Gary Clark, Jr. I love his respect and knowledge of blues legends and even his interest in recording on old equipment/gear.
I agree and it was the second tune he did on SNL that you really could hear the blues influence seeping in or bleeding in , but it was very clear and distinct and you know what good for Jack White as it's so refreshing that someone is carrying on this most awesome treasure of Blues based Rock and Roll . He really is a throwback to an earlier era of music and how could i not like him ?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 15, 2020 20:39

GivenToFly15
Cooltoplady
GivenToFly15

are you kidding me?

I don't care what you think. If you don't want to listen to him, that's your problem. But don't pretend you know about his music, then.

I think the guy is a joke also. I don't know what is worst, his voice or his playing. If that's what you wanna call it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home