Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Recordings of 1967 shows
Posted by: TimDog ()
Date: October 13, 2020 00:20

What's the best 1967 Rolling Stones show that I should try to track down that's readily available? I'm interested in the best combination of performance AND good audio. I'm fascinated by that period just before Beggars Banquet. Thanks!

Re: Recordings of 1967 shows
Date: October 13, 2020 00:59

Paris, which was released on iTunes.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2020 08:56

DandelionPowderman

I don’t doubt it’s the best, but doesn’t the sound-quality really vary from track-to-track? The rendition of Paint it, Black from this performance is utterly fantastic. Keith’s playing superbly.

Date: October 13, 2020 10:11

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

I don’t doubt it’s the best, but doesn’t the sound-quality really vary from track-to-track? The rendition of Paint it, Black from this performance is utterly fantastic. Keith’s playing superbly.

The sound is pretty uneven, yes. Then again, we don't have a lot from that tour available. Honolulu (late) 1966 is the closest we've got in this quality, I believe.

Date: October 13, 2020 10:43

DandelionPowderman

The sound is pretty uneven, yes. Then again, we don't have a lot from that tour available. Honolulu (late) 1966 is the closest we've got in this quality, I believe.

Yes, I have the Honolulu show, somewhere. I suppose we could add the '65 Paris broadcast, and isn't their an Australian show available, too? I think I have an old CD of that buried somewhere.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 03:59

on amazon there is a vinyl recording of shows from paris and liverpool from 1965 sold by 2 different sellers, and advertised as being a blue vinyl limited edition, one of them is priced as£9.99 and the other as£269, can anyone tell me if these are genuine.

theres a lot of other stuff being sold in vinyl for live 1960,s gigs. wonder if these are rip offs, they dont seem official.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:29

I haven't heard any of them be of quality. Honolulu is practically unlistenable. Shame they didn't go to the trouble to record shows back then.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 14, 2020 05:56

>they dont seem official.

If you mean the ones I have seen, they are most definately not official and I would just offhand wager the best thing about them is they are pretty to look at, and have kool kovers, but whats on them is certainly not pretty to listen to. I would love to hear otherwise, and I would buy them in that case, but they just reek of bootleg poor quality recordings. I think there is a specialty label putting them out that is relying on the recent 50 year copyright deadline. Can probably find everything there to download free in much better quality right on this message forum.

jb

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 14, 2020 10:32

Now I had to go to youtube and have a listen. Really good! And they put a minute of Yesterday´s papers in Get off of my cloud! Those were the days! smiling smiley

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:08

here's one legal bootleg [rhythmandbluesrecords.co.uk]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 14, 2020 11:13

How is that a "legal" bootleg?

thanks
jb

Date: October 14, 2020 11:15

jbwelda

thanks
jb

Well, how is a bootleg ever legal?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2020 11:35

Okay Okay ... it aint 1967 but ya might
wanna check this one ..... radio broadcast inc advertisements ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 14, 2020 11:47

many broadcoasted shows older than 50 years are in the free domain now, everyone can release them, so that makes them legal bootlegs smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-14 11:47 by MononoM.

Date: October 14, 2020 11:55

MononoM
many broadcoasted shows older than 50 years are in the free domain now, everyone can release them, so that makes them legal bootlegs smiling smiley

I 'get' you smiling smiley

However, by definition, a bootleg can never be legal.

Date: October 14, 2020 11:58

its a grey area smiling smiley

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 14, 2020 12:29

On the question of legaility.

A release is legal if
1. The material is 50 years old or more
2. It has never been officially released
3. The material has been broadcast on TV or radio

Which is why the Stones releases here are not bootlegs:
[rhythmandbluesrecords.co.uk]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 14, 2020 12:34

Yes, I checked it out Rockman. Sweden is getting cold now...leaves falling in many colours...autumn...But this did warm me up! smiling smiley

Date: October 14, 2020 13:27

johnnythunders
Which is why the Stones releases here are not bootlegs
i prefer calling them legal bootlegs, as they are legal because of above, but they are not offical releases by the stones smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 14, 2020 13:46

Big Al
jbwelda

thanks
jb

If its been sanctioned by the artiste. Of course there's Bob Dylan's 'Bootleg' series but Humble Pie recently issued live recordings that were actual bootlegs. I know because one of them was a recording I made back in the 70s.

Date: October 14, 2020 14:00

Silver Dagger
Big Al
jbwelda

thanks
jb

If its been sanctioned by the artiste. Of course there's Bob Dylan's 'Bootleg' series but Humble Pie recently issued live recordings that were actual bootlegs. I know because one of them was a recording I made back in the 70s.

I think Dylan's 'bootleg' title is merely a reference to the fact that many of the recordings contained were, or could, have been bootleg previously. That's fantastic regarding the Humble Pie release. It must've been a good-quality recording you made. Did they pay you?

Date: October 14, 2020 14:05

MononoM
johnnythunders
Which is why the Stones releases here are not bootlegs
i prefer calling them legal bootlegs, as they are legal because of above, but they are not offical releases by the stones smiling smiley

Like Hot Rocks? winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-14 14:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: October 14, 2020 14:10

Big Al
Silver Dagger
Big Al
jbwelda

thanks
jb

I think Dylan's 'bootleg' title is merely a reference to the fact that many of the recordings contained were, or could, have been bootleg previously. That's fantastic regarding the Humble Pie release. It must've been a good-quality recording you made. Did they pay you?

Some of Dylan's official releases seem to be from bootleg sources. A couple of the shows on the 1966 live recording brick of CDs are not great audience recordings, and some of the songs on the 1969 Anniversary CD are apparently mp3 sourced.

Date: October 14, 2020 15:43

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2020 00:02

ROCKMAN

Date: October 15, 2020 02:24

Wish I could find the Akbar & Jeff comic strip where their T shirt emporium threatens to prosecute anyone who dares to bootleg their bootleg shirts. That panel should have been featured in Heylin's book.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home