Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How To Be A Rolling Stones Superfan
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 9, 2020 14:34

You must dutifully moan about the setlists on every tour without fail. Particularly if it includes Miss You.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2020 14:54

"How To Be A Rolling Stones Superfan"?

Get an ugly tattoo (like a 3rd grade rendition of the "lips") and stalk band members... thumbs up

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 9, 2020 15:06

You should probably hate Matt Clifford

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 9, 2020 15:33

You don't need to be rick to be a superfan. You just need to listen to their music, a lot, you need to love what they do and what they play, and you need to have your mind on them at all hours. Also, you need to dream about them at nights, and at daytime you need to wonder about when the next show will happen.

I have noticed the marketing machine is pumping out new packages of color vinyl etc of all sorts, of all the releases. They may be nice to own if you have a large house and a large income, but spending money on "stuff" does not really make you a superfan.

It is all about the love of the band, and their music. Loving them comes free of charge, luckily.

Bjornulf

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 15:45

bv
You don't need to be rick to be a superfan. You just need to listen to their music, a lot, you need to love what they do and what they play, and you need to have your mind on them at all hours. Also, you need to dream about them at nights, and at daytime you need to wonder about when the next show will happen.

I have noticed the marketing machine is pumping out new packages of color vinyl etc of all sorts, of all the releases. They may be nice to own if you have a large house and a large income, but spending money on "stuff" does not really make you a superfan.

It is all about the love of the band, and their music. Loving them comes free of charge, luckily.
how very true.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 9, 2020 17:15

NilsHolgersson
You should probably hate Matt Clifford

...and definitely hate Chuck Lavelle.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 17:21

First, you must win the lotteries.

Rod

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 9, 2020 19:19

Sounds like a lot of work. I think I’ll just be a dilettante.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 9, 2020 20:22

If you only have a couple of t-shirts that's really not being a superfan.

That's weak. That's a weakfan.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 9, 2020 21:25

When you spend $1000 on your favorite band over a weekend and then spend the next weeks saving on groceries and clothing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 22:15 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 9, 2020 21:49

Stoneage
Maybe the true sign of a superfan is the ability to truly appreciate Dirty Work?

Well I can say in all honesty that I try that more than twice a year

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 9, 2020 23:12

As a super fan, you must have posted at least 200 posts in the new album topic.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 9, 2020 23:16

GJV

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2020 03:53

GJV

You also must have started your very own new album topic.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2020 04:26

Have your girlfriend, who loves Beast Of Burden and sings it a lot, break up with you and suddenly part of that song rings true and you now hate the song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2020 04:54

Jagger drying underwear
backstage 1975 ..... only Superfan I know of ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 10, 2020 08:52

Daring to wear a different Rolling Stones necktie to work every time despite negative remarks from (merely male) colleagues and cheering up when when getting possitive remarks from (merely female) colleagues cool smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 10, 2020 11:19

georgie48
Daring to wear a different Rolling Stones necktie to work every time despite negative remarks from (merely male) colleagues and cheering up when when getting possitive remarks from (merely female) colleagues cool smiley

I used to relish wearing my Dropping Tongues tie to work. I'd always wear it when I had difficult meetings ahead. The distracting effect on other people was HUGE and always gave me a huge lift in my situation in discussions. Others found it very off putting!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 11, 2020 00:29

If you are lucky enough to be able to travel abroad to see our boys, take the opportunity to talk to and be friendly with fellow fans.

I live in Scotland but have made lifelong friends with several American and European fans. Plus had many great evenings before and after gigs with fans from all over the world.

But a Superfan moment happened in Amsterdam the night before the 2017 gig. In small bar where our tribute band were playing. After they'd finished, an Aussie guy was being a bit obnoxious (didn't seem like a fan - not sure why he was there)....boring everyone with his views about gay marriage etc.

He then proceeded to slag off Mick. Some of the young Irish lads I'd made pals with took exception to this.

Staring the guy right in the eye, my new Irish mate said - "Don't you slag off Mick Jagger. He's the second greatest rock star that ever lived".

Aussie guy, somewhat bemused that he was being eyeballed and challenged said, "Oh yeah, and who's the greatest?".

"Keith Richards!".....

Aussie guy exited with tail between legs shortly afterwards....(most Aussies are great!)

So I suppose being willing to face down a dickhead makes you a proper Superfan thumbs up...

Date: October 11, 2020 01:23

grinning smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 11, 2020 02:39

GasLightStreet
Have your girlfriend, who loves Beast Of Burden and sings it a lot, break up with you and suddenly part of that song rings true and you now hate the song.

Which parts?

(I so relate to this situation.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 11, 2020 04:21

So let's go home and draw the curtains

She was a total exhibitionist ....
Always wanted the lights on and curtains wide open ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 11, 2020 08:39

When you wear a Rolling Stones condom, but don't really need to.

Date: October 11, 2020 09:33

You mean like when you're a girl and your alone ??

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 11, 2020 10:13

CaptainCorella
georgie48

I used to relish wearing my Dropping Tongues tie to work. I'd always wear it when I had difficult meetings ahead. The distracting effect on other people was HUGE and always gave me a huge lift in my situation in discussions. Others found it very off putting!

I can imagine cool smiley
When (in particular during my work visits in the USA) men made those denegrating remarks I always responded with "hay man, it's only a necktie right?". Yes, but ...
In Mexico I always put on the multi coloured artistic logo's one. Everybody (no exception!) loved it! The French colleagues also liked my taste of neckties. Japanese merely smiled, the women giggled. In Holland funny neckties were popular anyway. Thanks to (not only winking smiley) those neckties the whole company knew I was a Rolling Stones fan grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: October 11, 2020 12:12

I haven't bought a Stones-shirt since 1990...
so I guess I can't be a superfan.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 11, 2020 13:48

treaclefingers
GJV

You also must have started your very own new album topic.

...or in other usless topics

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 11, 2020 13:53

So than there is still hope for us!hot smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 11, 2020 14:58

ErwinH
I haven't bought a Stones-shirt since 1990...
so I guess I can't be a superfan.

No worries .. You can get Stones T-Shirts at Flea Markets, TJ Maxx, even Carnaby Street Store( Although the Tongues in that store are the wrong shade of red).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2020 16:08

Haha... I always have associated the term 'superfan' to our moderator and to the way I've seen him using it: referring to the people who follow the Stones from gig to gig all over the world.

But funny article that one... Never thought being a superfan or even 'just' a fan of anything is a question of rational choice or of a free will. As something someone would like to identify oneself, like it was such a cool thing to do or something. I think it is more like a fate... 'A some kind of chemical reaction' as Mick once put it.... It hits you and then you go and follow your destiny.... Asking 'do you want to be a Stones superfan?' is more like asking 'do you want to be an alcoholic?' than 'do you want to be an active supporter of human rights?', and then give a list of recommendations of what to do... Probably most people just prefer a drink or two here and there, not to be drunk all the time (or longing for a next drink all the timegrinning smiley)...

When I think of myself, 'being a Rolling Stones fan' is not very high on the list when I think of my best qualities, or at least not something I particularly am proud of. But then again, when I met someone - anytime, anywhere - who happens to share my feelings toward that particular music group, I rate that trait very high... it goes beyond all the boundaries set by anything (language, politics, profession, culture, class, age, etc.). Like there is such a mutual understanding that goes from soul to soul. And being affected so passionally by their doings, gives me personally so much satisfaction, even though sometimes it feels like a guilty pleasure...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-11 16:19 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home