Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Reconsider Van Morrison
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 8, 2020 20:48

OK, he's a mean spirited drunken troll who's taken alot of flak here on IORR for his COVID conspiracy nonsense but has anyone surpassed this for pure soul? This guy gets it..back me up, Van fans!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Reconsider Van Morrison
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 8, 2020 21:07

Sure, Roryfan. He's forgiven. Everything. He's an artist. He can't help himself. The music speaks for itself.

Date: October 8, 2020 21:32

He's been releasing top quality albums for decades. Fantastic songwriter and singer!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 8, 2020 21:40

He is a great artist

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 8, 2020 21:41

I Have been a Van fan since the sixties and first saw him live in 1973. His records are sometimes uneven but mostly wonderful and I've always liked his shifting between styes and collaborators. He is also on a recent run of very good LPs in rapid succession and his voice is incomparable.

Having said all that, let's be honest, he is a bit of a jerk. His latest stance is one example. Some of his antics are just quirkiness, like insisting that certain gigs start at 5:00PM on a weeknight because of his sleep schedule or body rhythms. Or playing most of a show with his back to the audience. We love him in spite of his shortcomings I guess.

HBK

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2020 21:44

Will never not love some of the beautiful music he's created.
Just as that can't be undone, nor can his other words and actions.
An ignorant opinion can easily be forgiven as we all are entitled to that, but actions, if he releases the promised virus related songs and his petitions for openings etc. are much tougher.

Definitely still love his music, but his genius has lost some luster for me.
Sad when an icon/musical idol disappoints (for me I feel similar about Roger Daltry.. would never pay to see him live or buy a record again) but that's life.
No ones perfect.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 8, 2020 21:45

Date: October 8, 2020 22:35

MisterDDDD
Will never not love some of the beautiful music he's created.
Just as that can't be undone, nor can his other words and actions.
An ignorant opinion can easily be forgiven as we all are entitled to that, but actions, if he releases the promised virus related songs and his petitions for openings etc. are much tougher.

Definitely still love his music, but his genius has lost some luster for me.
Sad when an icon/musical idol disappoints (for me I feel similar about Roger Daltry.. would never pay to see him live or buy a record again) but that's life.
No ones perfect.

Agreed (but what did Roger do?)

Date: October 8, 2020 22:46

I hate Roger Waters for his anti -Israel statements.But please don’t take it personally.This forum should be about the Stones not politics

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 8, 2020 22:47

Great artist, and there are very few of them. Most guys in music are just paying the bills. I would even put the Stones in that category the last few decades.

Date: October 9, 2020 02:28

Taylor1
I hate Roger Waters for his anti -Israel statements.But please don’t take it personally.This forum should be about the Stones not politics

I think you mean anti Israel government-statements. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have anything bad to say about the country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 02:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 9, 2020 03:21

While Van may be an assholla, the music is great,

This may be true of some of our heroes too.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 9, 2020 03:35

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 9, 2020 04:26

Taylor1

Then why bring it up? confused smiley

Date: October 9, 2020 04:29

Taylor1
Really? Listen I don’t wanna debate you about it.Just read his statementHe sang the lyrics we will take the land back from the Jordan River to the sea.Nice

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 04:33 by Taylor1.

Date: October 9, 2020 05:19

DandelionPowderman

Just made a few comments on US politics that really pisssed me off.
More than once.. One comment made quite a few headlines if you want to google as I really don't want to post here and stir sht up.
Falls in the he's entitled to his opinion category which I really should just let go, but it crossed a line for me.

Enjoyed the last time I saw them at Desert Trip very much, but definitely know that was the last time for me.

Date: October 9, 2020 11:55

MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman

Just made a few comments on US politics that really pisssed me off.
More than once.. One comment made quite a few headlines if you want to google as I really don't want to post here and stir sht up.
Falls in the he's entitled to his opinion category which I really should just let go, but it crossed a line for me.

Enjoyed the last time I saw them at Desert Trip very much, but definitely know that was the last time for me.

Ah, I see!

I thought this satire piece was funny, though smiling smiley

[www.themideastbeast.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 9, 2020 12:13

I was at Desert Trip I, and I was very pleased with Roger Waters' commentary on Trump and the government of the apartheid state of Israel.

MisterDDDD, I don't know to what statements of Roger Daltrey you are referring. Our boys have from time to time made statements in one form or another about the US government i.e. Sweet Neocon.

If u don't want to bring up specifics about Daltrey's statements here, send me a link or two. My email is not hidden. Would be most interested.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 12:18 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 9, 2020 13:19

sounds like a complete ass hole. I won't buy new (or any of his) music. What's done is done and yes he is an incredible artist.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:47

100% with plexi and his first statement of his last post.

jb

Date: October 9, 2020 19:21

jbwelda
100% with plexi and his first statement of his last post.

jb

Same.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2020 15:44

Having the expectation that our musical 'idols' should agree with us in other every facet of life is probably setting yourself up for big disappointment.

While I found Van Morrison's views a bit startling, that isn't going to prevent me for enjoying the music.

Though I will say I found the Pete Townshend news where he claimed he was simply doing 'research' far more disconcerting and haven't had the same interest in the band since.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 10, 2020 23:35

I've commented previously that I love a lot of Van the Man's music, however have seen him live about half a dozen times, and good as the music is, his grumpy, obnoxious behaviour is extremely off-putting. He was horrible to a 12 year old girl who tried to give him a birthday cake. WTF?

I saw footage of Daltry where he was asked about Brexit, and whether it would cause problems for The Who touring Europe - basic logistics/border checks etc.
Perfectly reasonable question from the journalist, and Daltry was very aggressive and nasty in his pro-Brexit response. It's online somewhere. Totally out of order from Daltry, and I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw that.....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 11, 2020 00:15

Some people are amusing assholas - IORR rocks and rolls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home