Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 14, 2020 07:12

I know the ones post Dave reunion he was just like "we just want people to have fun" hence Kool & The Gang and the Marley ones. Can't speak for their earlier ones, but I know the later ones were actually about hyping the crowd up and deliberate, not not wanting to get one upped.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 14, 2020 07:39

Youth......................

[www.youtube.com]

From the comments
Austin Shaw
5 years ago
Somewhere there's a carwash missing its mop strips...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 14, 2020 09:36

For me it was a relieve to hear on Howard Stern that Eddie and Sammy had been texting for the past months. I am glad to hear that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 14, 2020 15:52

I saw Van Halen in my old hometown Arnhem in the Netherlands, at The Luxor, in the mid 1990's. It was some kind of radio show, with not more than 400 people or so. I really didn't like any of it, the singer was terrible...If I remember well it was Eddie's birthday that day.

Mathijs

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 21:14

DGA35
Rattler and TK, do you recall the opening acts in the 80s and 90s? One thing I didn't like about original VH was the terrible opening acts
81 The Fools, 82 After The Fire, 84 some rockabilly band that got booed big time. Played maybe 20 minutes then off the stage. Actually felt sorry for them. 86 got a couple Canadian acts, Tom Cochrane w/Red Rider and a reformed BTO. 91 Alice In Chains, 95 Our Lady Peace, another Canadian band.

The only opening acts I can every remember seeing for any band was Twisted Sister, and they were boo’d

And Bon Jovi, which I thought then was so out of place with whatever act that was headlining.

Oh and Dream Theatre...saw them open for Rush, there were people there to see them more, instead of the headliner. Something that puzzled me greatly.

And Elvis Costello who opened for Steely Dam, I had 4th row seats and Costello was playing and I made an off the cuff remark about time to get a beer while the opener plays. No one cares about the opener. The guy next to me was there to specifically see Elvis Costello.

I bought him a beer, but I’m sure the nerd remained offended.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 14, 2020 21:16

Mathijs
I saw Van Halen in my old hometown Arnhem in the Netherlands, at The Luxor, in the mid 1990's. It was some kind of radio show, with not more than 400 people or so. I really didn't like any of it, the singer was terrible...If I remember well it was Eddie's birthday that day.

Mathijs

Figures...blah blah blah Nobody cares

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 22:21

Mathijs

Mathijs

That would have been 95 when they toured Europe with Bon Jovi. Still can't believe VH would be opening for Bon Jovi!

Date: October 15, 2020 00:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.setlist.fm]

Looks like it was this show.

This is also the first I'm hearing about Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi. Never knew that. God damn, they certainly fell for awhile there. And that was even before they REALLY fell like 3 years later!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 15, 2020 00:48

What act(s) opened up for them on the OU812 tour in 88? Anybody know or remember?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 15, 2020 01:02

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did Keith or Ronnie ever do tapping or any of the EVH techniques?

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 15, 2020 01:30

I believe that Luxor gig in Arnhem was on a promo tour in early '95... they returned to Europe that summer opening in stadiums for Bon Jovi.

They chose to open those bigger shows opening to get exposure to more fans since they never toured extensively outside the US after about '80 w DLR. They did headline smaller European venues with Sammy in '93 though...

I've had a great boot of the Stockholm '84 Monsters of Rock show since forever, one of the handful they did w AC/DC that ended up being the last shows with the original VH lineup. Donington '84 was one of these gigs.

Date: October 15, 2020 05:13

wonderboy
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did Keith or Ronnie ever do tapping or any of the EVH techniques?

I don't know of them doing it, but I always thought Steve Hackett's playing on Genesis' Supper's Ready was Eddie Van Halenesque BEFORE Eddie Van Halen.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 15, 2020 05:23

RollingFreak
wonderboy

I don't know of them doing it, but I always thought Steve Hackett's playing on Genesis' Supper's Ready was Eddie Van Halenesque BEFORE Eddie Van Halen.

He never took credit for the finger tapping. Never did. There are videos of Django Reinhart finger tapping in the 30s and 40's WAY BEFORE Steve Hackett.

Date: October 15, 2020 05:31

Cooltoplady
RollingFreak
wonderboy

He never took credit for the finger tapping. Never did. There are videos of Django Reinhart finger tapping in the 30s and 40's WAY BEFORE Steve Hackett.

Not saying he did. Just saying I always thought of that section as Van Halen esque even though its before them. I know that Eddie never claims to have invented it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 15, 2020 13:45

TKinOH

they never toured extensively outside the US after about '80 w DLR. They did headline smaller European venues with Sammy in '93 though...

It's interesting to note on setlist.fm that, in the U.K. alone, Van Halen performed 22 shows in 1978: it then took them another sixteen years to total the same number of performances on the island. I know the fandom here and across Europe wasn't quite at the same level as in the States, but did they have a phobia of crossing the Atlantic? grinning smiley

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 15, 2020 14:58

Big Al
TKinOH

they never toured extensively outside the US after about '80 w DLR. They did headline smaller European venues with Sammy in '93 though...

It's interesting to note on setlist.fm that, in the U.K. alone, Van Halen performed 22 shows in 1978: it then took them another sixteen years to total the same number of performances on the island. I know the fandom here and across Europe wasn't quite at the same level as in the States, but did they have a phobia of crossing the Atlantic? grinning smiley

I believe it was a combination of things; weaker record sales in Europe, expense of touring, as their career moved on Eddie grew to really dislike the traveling and poor management. Hence the opening for Bon Jovi (more of a European fan base and really popular in Italy)

The expense of touring has prevented many bands breaking into certain global markets. South America for instance.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 15, 2020 17:06

Big Al
but did they have a phobia of crossing the Atlantic? grinning smiley

I'm reading the excellent Noel Monk (manager) book Running with the Devil, apparently Dave was terrified of flying!

Date: October 16, 2020 00:48

Ted Templeman's book is a good read, too...

In '78 they were on the road with Sabbath for the majority of their tour, which included the UK & Europe. Starting in '79, they were headlining in the US, so I'd assume their profit margin increased and they concentrated on the States mostly...

Those were the days when a band would say "We'll see ya next year, Dayton...", and most of them did! And slowly over time, the schedules got stretched and returns were less frequent...

Date: October 16, 2020 01:20

TKinOH
Ted Templeman's book is a good read, too...

In '78 they were on the road with Sabbath for the majority of their tour, which included the UK & Europe. Starting in '79, they were headlining in the US, so I'd assume their profit margin increased and they concentrated on the States mostly...

Those were the days when a band would say "We'll see ya next year, Dayton...", and most of them did! And slowly over time, the schedules got stretched and returns were less frequent...

Exactly. When I look back at how long the original band was together, six albums in seven years! VH played Vancouver in 79,80,81,82 and 84, five times in six years! They literally did nothing but record, tour, repeat. It was so common back then to see bands putting out albums every year. The constant grind of being together non stop for so long takes its toll. Alice Cooper said that was the problem when the original AC band broke up. 71-74 non stop recording and touring. Stones did this too, 63-66.

Date: October 16, 2020 01:47

Rob Halford talks about the quick turnaround in his new book "Confess", also...

These bands were like indentured servants to their label back in those days. They owed the label a new record and big money to the label for paying their bills on tour.

Crazy also is the fact of seeing your heroes 3, 4 or 5 months later, still on the road, making another swing through your neck of the woods. Dayton and Cincinnati, 70 miles and months apart, then Dayton started to fade when the sheds really took over. So for me it became Cincinnati, Columbus or Indianapolis, one of which almost always fell on a day off...

Date: October 16, 2020 07:19

shadooby
What act(s) opened up for them on the OU812 tour in 88? Anybody know or remember?

88 was the Monsters of Rock tour. Closest they came to Van was the Kingdome in Seattle. Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken and Kingdom Come. 30 shows. After that tour ended, they did an arena tour of the US with a band called Private Life opening. That tour ended Jan 89 with shows in Japan and Hawaii.

Date: October 16, 2020 16:18

Eddie van Halen's father Jan van Halen playing the woodwind, and meet the van Halens.

Jan van Halen.

Date: October 16, 2020 16:25

wonderboy

As far as I know a single tap by Mick Taylor every now and then.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 16, 2020 16:27

TheflyingDutchman
Eddie van Halen's father Jan van Halen playing the woodwind, and meet the van Halens.

Jan van Halen.

Woodwind ? He is playing the clarinet ...

Date: October 16, 2020 16:35

electricmud
TheflyingDutchman

Jan van Halen.

Woodwind ? He is playing the clarinet ...

woodwind
noun [treated as singular or plural]
wind instruments other than brass instruments forming a section of an orchestra, including flutes, oboes, clarinets, and bassoons:

OK? winking smiley

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 16, 2020 16:41

Ffffank you , Sir smileys with beer

Date: October 16, 2020 16:48

electricmud
Ffffank you , Sir smileys with beer

Enjoy the music, a bit Django style.thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2020 17:31

Some great acoustic tapping from Van Halen II "Spanish Fly"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2020 21:22

RollingFreak
Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.setlist.fm]

This is also the first I'm hearing about Van Halen opening for Bon Jovi. Never knew that. God damn, they certainly fell for awhile there. And that was even before they REALLY fell like 3 years later!
I think in 1996 after they told Sammy Van Haggar to take a hike they brought in Gary Cherone from Extreme - wow talk about out of place like a duck out of water -i mean it was really bad and all we wanted was to hear Eddie tear it up which he most certainly did . Fast forward to 2004 and they reunited with Sammy and i seen them in a arena and they kicked major butt and it was very very good .Then a short 3 years later they bring back David Lee out of moth balls and storage and we just ate it up , then seven years later with David Lee again and that was the last time for me seeing them . There was a You Tube clip that i should have posted that had all of Eddie's times on David Letterman sitting in with Paul Shaffer and the Worlds Most Dangerous Band . Eddie was so good and tearing it up on his Kramer Hockey stick headstock Strat style guitar playing thru a old Marshall head ( probably a Plexi ) with the logo blacked out with the infamous tape , i did not know what the cab was or what speakers were in it , but he was playing fire scorching leads .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2020 01:06

TheGreek
RollingFreak
Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.setlist.fm]

I think in 1996 after they told Sammy Van Haggar to take a hike they brought in Gary Cherone from Extreme - wow talk about out of place like a duck out of water -i mean it was really bad and all we wanted was to hear Eddie tear it up which he most certainly did . Fast forward to 2004 and they reunited with Sammy and i seen them in a arena and they kicked major butt and it was very very good .Then a short 3 years later they bring back David Lee out of moth balls and storage and we just ate it up , then seven years later with David Lee again and that was the last time for me seeing them . There was a You Tube clip that i should have posted that had all of Eddie's times on David Letterman sitting in with Paul Shaffer and the Worlds Most Dangerous Band . Eddie was so good and tearing it up on his Kramer Hockey stick headstock Strat style guitar playing thru a old Marshall head ( probably a Plexi ) with the logo blacked out with the infamous tape , i did not know what the cab was or what speakers were in it , but he was playing fire scorching leads .

There's this one...

This!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home