Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: dropped ()
Date: October 10, 2020 07:28

I only check out 2 message boards-IORR and vhlibks

OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 10, 2020 14:45

DGA35
Reading online today that VH manager Irving Azoff said that Wolf and Alex will go through the VH vaults at Eddie's 5150 studios to look for material suitable for release.

Irving Azoff interview with Ray Waddell, posted by Pollstar October 8:

[www.pollstar.com]

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 10, 2020 16:10

TKinOH

Thanx for this!

I consider myself a VH freak, but never knew about this collab with Waters...

For those not familiar with "Complete Zero", seek it out and enjoy the demos from '77, with enough additional material for another great album that was never released, plus the seeds of other tracks that came later on...

Van Halen - Fur Elise (guitar solo live) ...a famous classical piece.

Date: October 10, 2020 16:19

TKinOH

Thanx for this!

I consider myself a VH freak, but never knew about this collab with Waters...

For those not familiar with "Complete Zero", seek it out and enjoy the demos from '77, with enough additional material for another great album that was never released, plus the seeds of other tracks that came later on...

If you haven't already, check out (contains 95%+ of their unreleased):

Best of Unreleased Vol. 1 & 2 ('74-'80)
Roots Vol. 1-3 (Club Days Revisited)

other live covers:

Brown Sugar (cover '75)
If You Can't Rock Me (demo)
Rock and Roll (Zeppelin cover)
Summertime Blues ('83, The Who/E.Cochran cover)
Twist & Shout
Trampled Under Foot
Won't Get Fooled Again
DLR-Crosstown Traffic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-10 16:21 by KevinM.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: October 10, 2020 17:41

Really enjoyed this. Thanks.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 12, 2020 00:45

[www.youtube.com]

nice tribute by Jack White awesome performance - did not try and emulate EVH was perfect with his tribute

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 12, 2020 01:45

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

nice tribute by Jack White awesome performance - did not try and emulate EVH was perfect with his tribute

Really? This guy plays guitar like he’s deaf. He has to stop his singing and guitar playing and go back to being a mime

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 12, 2020 01:48

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Some of the many tributes for EVH...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2020 02:08

After 1984 and Roth's solo career taking off with CRAZY FROM THE HEAT and EAT 'EM AND SMILE and with Van Halen become Van Hagar, I got 5150 and EAT 'EM AND SMILE after a few listens I lost interest in both even though DLR's album was a lot more fun. I found Steve Vai boring as hell (just like Jeff Beck with Jagger's solo albums). 5150 sounded like it was recorded in the cheese drawer of a fridge full of fake cheese - it sounded incredibly ridiculously processed. The stupidity was able to expand with the brilliant OU812 and then the even dumber (and not real acronym) FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE.

That aside, it was similar to what happened with Aerosmith - it impossible not to hear some songs, like Right Here Right Now, Best Of Both Worlds, Why Can't This Be Love, Finish What You Started and Poundcake. Just as Aerosmith had the same 3 songs as singles on GET A GRIP Van Halen had 3000 singles with the word Love in them. Sammy brought the cheese to Van Halen.

It got really old.

The music wasn't nearly as good either. Eddie got into more trickery and the songs lost their wildness. It didn't sound like Van Halen.

OK so so what. That's how some people feel about AC/DC. No big deal.

The difference between the two is astounding though: AC/DC never had control and ego issues that Eddie Van Halen had. Eddie ruined Van Halen with his control freak outs and the treatment of Michael Anthony. 3 different singers and bouncing between the first and second a few times? WTF.

After how many years? I can't remember but it was a long time, he got Roth actually back in the band and Eddie pulled out some tunes they'd done for VAN HALEN and that became Tattoo and a few others on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. It was the only song on the LP that sounded like Van Halen.

As great of a wizard Eddie was on the guitar he had a horrible artistic business sense riddled by his ego. It's really a shame.

Date: October 13, 2020 05:08

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-13 17:19 by Cooltoplady.

Date: October 13, 2020 05:29

GasLightStreet
After 1984 and Roth's solo career taking off with CRAZY FROM THE HEAT and EAT 'EM AND SMILE and with Van Halen become Van Hagar, I got 5150 and EAT 'EM AND SMILE after a few listens I lost interest in both even though DLR's album was a lot more fun. I found Steve Vai boring as hell (just like Jeff Beck with Jagger's solo albums). 5150 sounded like it was recorded in the cheese drawer of a fridge full of fake cheese - it sounded incredibly ridiculously processed. The stupidity was able to expand with the brilliant OU812 and then the even dumber (and not real acronym) FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE.

That aside, it was similar to what happened with Aerosmith - it impossible not to hear some songs, like Right Here Right Now, Best Of Both Worlds, Why Can't This Be Love, Finish What You Started and Poundcake. Just as Aerosmith had the same 3 songs as singles on GET A GRIP Van Halen had 3000 singles with the word Love in them. Sammy brought the cheese to Van Halen.

It got really old.

The music wasn't nearly as good either. Eddie got into more trickery and the songs lost their wildness. It didn't sound like Van Halen.

OK so so what. That's how some people feel about AC/DC. No big deal.

The difference between the two is astounding though: AC/DC never had control and ego issues that Eddie Van Halen had. Eddie ruined Van Halen with his control freak outs and the treatment of Michael Anthony. 3 different singers and bouncing between the first and second a few times? WTF.

After how many years? I can't remember but it was a long time, he got Roth actually back in the band and Eddie pulled out some tunes they'd done for VAN HALEN and that became Tattoo and a few others on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. It was the only song on the LP that sounded like Van Halen.

As great of a wizard Eddie was on the guitar he had a horrible artistic business sense riddled by his ego. It's really a shame.

I gotta agree with you on Van Hagar. OU812 & 5150 were mediocre, so much so that I haven't listened to either since they were released...but they aren't Van Halen. I would've liked for original VH to have released a Live double LP, even if they did so to kick off their 2009 (iirc) reunion with DLR. I just read the 5150 vault contains some stuff, Wolfgang & Alex are tasked with the deep dive. Diver Down baby!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 13, 2020 06:54

Was a bit shocked to read David Crosby's response to EVH passing: Meh.

No wonder Graham Nash and Neil Young don't like you!

Date: October 13, 2020 07:04

Eddie was awesome on guitar. Holy crap could he do some amazing things. So fluid and precise with everything he did.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 13, 2020 13:47

GasLightStreet
...he got Roth actually back in the band and Eddie pulled out some tunes they'd done for VAN HALEN and that became Tattoo and a few others on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. It was the only song on the LP that sounded like Van Halen...

I agree with most everything else except this. With this album, they got their balls back, and the guitar has the same - or very similar - energy as the first album.

Date: October 13, 2020 16:32

FrogSugar
GasLightStreet
...he got Roth actually back in the band and Eddie pulled out some tunes they'd done for VAN HALEN and that became Tattoo and a few others on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. It was the only song on the LP that sounded like Van Halen...

I agree with most everything else except this. With this album, they got their balls back, and the guitar has the same - or very similar - energy as the first album.

I haven't listened to it in a while but I've had Tattoo in a number of playlists because that song sounds 'classic' VH. I'll give the album another listen.

Date: October 13, 2020 19:37

GasLightStreet
Eddie was awesome on guitar. Holy crap could he do some amazing things. So fluid and precise with everything he did.

hmmm....your post just above this one you rip him apart, the music . the songs and sound. Now you praise him Which post was the one when you were drunk?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 13, 2020 21:23

Interview with Stevie Salas by Mario Escovedo on death of Eddie Van Halen:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 13, 2020 21:56

I just listened to a tape of Van Halen's last show ever from the Hollywood Bowl. Eddie was still amazing on it. I think Wolfgang is an excellent musician but I was missing Michael Anthony on the tape. His backup vocals were always underrated. I am going to give Wolfgang's record a listen when it comes out.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 13, 2020 22:52

DGA35

Saw that unfolding in real time so to speak.
He took a lot of heat, deservedly so, on Twitter.

He posted these comments later in his defense..

"Hendrix changed the world of guitar. Nobody else really ...look I get it ..many of you loved Van Halen ....and the one time I met he was nice ....and he was talented ...meh to me means I don’t care that much ....and I don’t ...doesn’t mean he wasn’t good ,he was but not for me"
[twitter.com]

"yes you Van Halen fans I did just toss off an answer that was not cool ...the even more embarrassing truth is ..I didn't even remember he had just died or I would have kept my mouth shut....I do make mistakes ...no offense intended"
[twitter.com]

Date: October 13, 2020 23:24

Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet

hmmm....your post just above this one you rip him apart, the music . the songs and sound. Now you praise him Which post was the one when you were drunk?

I didn't "rip him apart", it was only about the direction they took. That has zero to do with his guitar playing ability. If you actually read it, especially the last sentence, you'll see that.

Date: October 13, 2020 23:46

GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet

I didn't "rip him apart", it was only about the direction they took. That has zero to do with his guitar playing ability. If you actually read it, especially the last sentence, you'll see that.

I did read it. I guess you know the guy well......not!

Date: October 14, 2020 00:01

Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet

I did read it. I guess you know the guy well......not!

It's an observation based on taste as well as listening to the two different eras. Liking Van Halen and not caring for Van Hagar, even though I do like Sammy and some of the things Van Hagar did, has nothing to do with whether I "know the guy well" or not. Why you don't understand that is your choosing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2020 00:34

DGA35

David Crosby aka "Croz" has become synonymous with douchebag.
In fact if you look up douchebag in the dictionary, there he is!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 14, 2020 04:29

I don't know much about his personality, I just never cared for his music.

I'll take the Troggs over anything Crosby played on...although I must admit, I thought it pretty neat when I saw the surprise Byrds reunion at the Fred Walecki Benefit.

Date: October 14, 2020 04:54

I love The Stones, but EVH was the one artist that, given the chance, I'd choose to walk in his shoes and have that talent on guitar, even for just a day... I just loved everything he did on guitar.

It did change in '86 when Sammy came on board, but I never missed a tour. I looked at it like the original VH was a great band, and we ended up with 2 really good bands with Hagar in VH and Dave's solo band...

It's a real shame that the probable reunion of the Classic lineup with Michael Anthony didn't come together soon enough, the tour woulda been huge.

As it stands, my last time seeing King Edward was in Charlotte in 2015. 23 Halen gigs since '81, only tour I missed was in '82 for Diver Down, but at 17 you can't always get to 'em all I guess!

My tinnitus has increased greatly in the last week, courtesy Edward Van Halen!

Date: October 14, 2020 05:39

TKinOH
I love The Stones, but EVH was the one artist that, given the chance, I'd choose to walk in his shoes and have that talent on guitar, even for just a day... I just loved everything he did on guitar.

It did change in '86 when Sammy came on board, but I never missed a tour. I looked at it like the original VH was a great band, and we ended up with 2 really good bands with Hagar in VH and Dave's solo band...

It's a real shame that the probable reunion of the Classic lineup with Michael Anthony didn't come together soon enough, the tour woulda been huge.

As it stands, my last time seeing King Edward was in Charlotte in 2015. 23 Halen gigs since '81, only tour I missed was in '82 for Diver Down, but at 17 you can't always get to 'em all I guess!

My tinnitus has increased greatly in the last week, courtesy Edward Van Halen!

Wow, that's a lot of shows! I first saw VH in 81, too. All shows in Vancouver. 81, 82, 84, 86, didn't play Van in 88, 91, 95, 07, 12, didn't play Van in 15. They did play in 04 but I skipped it. My biggest complaint about the Van Hagar years is that Hagar refused to play a lot of classic era VH. Same few songs over and over, Jump, Panama, You Really Got Me. Good thing about Cherone is that he sang songs from both eras.
It would have been awesome to see a reunion with Mike Anthony but at least we did get a final album thanks to Wolf. As Dave said in 07, 3/4 original 1/4 inevitable.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 14, 2020 06:13

Saw them in ‘79 (actually got to meet all of the band at an in store meet and great signing at a Peaches Record Store)

1980, 1981, 1982, 1984. All in Cleveland

2004..San Antonio
2008..San Antonio
2012..San Antonio
2015..Austin

The 1981 show was my favorite...I thought the band was done after seeing them in 2004, Eddie looked so bad onstage.

He was dazzling in 2015.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: October 14, 2020 06:35

Let's try Total Recall, VH-style...

81 Dayton... my first-ever gig! Just Wow!
84 Dayton
84 Cincinnati 1st show
86 Cincinnati 1st show
88 Pontiac Monsters 2nd show, Silverdome was empty, but Ted showed up!
88 Indianapolis Monsters
88 Cincinnati
91 Indianapolis Alice in Chains opening
92 Cincinnati
93 Cincinnati
95 Dayton
95 Cincinnati
98 Cincinnati
04 Greensboro Opening Night
04 Cincinnati
07 Indianapolis
07 Detroit at The Joe
08 Cincinnati
12 Louisville Opening Night
12 Indianapolis
15 Indianapolis
15 Charlotte

Those Monsters of Rock gigs in 88 were a blessing indoors w A/C w temps outside hitting 100F both days...

I hope there wasn't a Columbus gig in 04 I forgot about, which would make 23. Had tix for 4 more in 2012 that were cancelled, too...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-14 07:27 by TKinOH.

Date: October 14, 2020 06:53

Rattler and TK, do you recall the opening acts in the 80s and 90s? One thing I didn't like about original VH was the terrible opening acts
81 The Fools, 82 After The Fire, 84 some rockabilly band that got booed big time. Played maybe 20 minutes then off the stage. Actually felt sorry for them. 86 got a couple Canadian acts, Tom Cochrane w/Red Rider and a reformed BTO. 91 Alice In Chains, 95 Our Lady Peace, another Canadian band.

Date: October 14, 2020 07:05

DLR always said they picked weak openers 'cause they had spanked Sabbath in 78, didn't he?

81 The Fools
84 Autograph, I guess DLR was buds w the lead singer
86 BTO, good gig
88 Monsters of Rock... Epic shows!
88 Private Life? Or was that 92 in Cincy?
91 Alice in Chains, love those guys
93 Vince Neil w Steve Stevens, killer show
95 Our Lady Peace in Cincinnati, Collective Soul in Dayton, but hoped for Brother Cane (great 2 nights at the Nutter Center w Queensryche the next night!)
98 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
04 ?? An evening with VH?
07 Ky-Mani Marley
08 Ryan Shaw? Looks like he was opening?!? Haha
12 Kool & The Gang, very cool pick
15 Kenny Wayne Shepherd

I'd have to do some research to be sure on some of these gigs, simply because I just didn't care going in!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-14 07:20 by TKinOH.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home