Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 22:43

Saw online that TMZ is reporting Eddie passed away today from throat cancer.

My favourite guitarist of all time. First concert I saw was Van Halen in 1981 just weeks before the Oakland shows that the Unchained video was from.

Rest In Peace.

Eddie Van Halen, Virtuoso of the Rock Guitar, Dies at 65 (New York Times)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 11:26 by bv.

Re: OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2020 23:12

Heard on the radio news channel while driving home...very sad.
The first Van Halen album from 1978 was massive, as were the next several albums, but that first one was hard to beat and will always be the best imo.
He was no doubt a pioneer with his unique style of playing, his intense tone, and all around virtuosity...so many wanted to learn his tricks...a MONSTER of rock...damn....sad.....

I remember first hearing this track in '78...seems like it was yesterday...and it's still amazing...

RIP Eddie....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 23:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 6, 2020 23:17

I'm crushed...

The best ever in my era...

May 23rd, 1981... Van Halen at Hara Arena in Dayton, my first show... changed my life!! I couldn't believe EVH was better than on their albums...

No words...

Date: October 6, 2020 23:38

TKinOH
I'm crushed...

May 23rd, 1981... Van Halen at Hara Arena in Dayton, my first show... changed my life!! I couldn't believe EVH was better than on their albums...

No words...

June 2 1981 Vancouver Pacific Coliseum, a little over a week after you saw them and a little over a week before the Oakland shows.

Date: October 6, 2020 23:38

TKinOH
I'm crushed...

No words...

thumbs up

I only saw them once and that was at the massive three day US Festival '83 where they headlined the second night. Even though David Lee Roth was completely drunk, obnoxious, and completely out of it slobbering his way through the set, Eddie was front center with his guitar playing and he saved the night. That monster guitar tone echoed across the massive festival grounds, and it still echoes through my head when I think of that festival.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 6, 2020 23:40

RIP

VH - Unchained

VH - Happy Trails

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 23:41 by KevinM.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 23:43

One of my all time favorites......very sad day.

Date: October 7, 2020 00:28

Lots of tributes pouring in - here's a few:

From his son Wolfgang:

I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning.
He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift.
My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop.

From Al Di Meola:

It comes with great sadness to hear about Eddie Van Halen’s passing on. I always regarded Eddie as someone who completely revolutionized a way of playing
in a whole new style that inspired a generation of guitar players. With what he offered to the world in music terms thus he became a legend!
I was fortunate to have met with him on several occasions. May he Rest In Peace!

From Flea:

Oh man, bless his beautiful creative heart. I love you Eddie Van Halen, an LA boy, a true rocker.
I hope you jam with Jimi tonight. Break through to the other side my brother.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 7, 2020 00:46

RIP Eddie. This 1 hitting pretty hard. sad smiley

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 7, 2020 00:56

May he rest in peace.

OT: Eddie Van Halen RIP
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 7, 2020 00:58

Safe journey, Eddie. RIP.

[www.latimes.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:12

One of the greats. Sad news.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:13

crholmstrom
RIP Eddie. This 1 hitting pretty hard. sad smiley

Yes.

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:14

Sad news indeed,

Saw the mighty Van Halen in concert since the Women and children First 1980 Invasion Tour and pretty much every tour after as well.

He will be missed greatly.

RIP Eddie

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:27

He fought against cancer for ages it seems.
Holy shit. A true legend gone. Van Halen I
and Fair Warning are among my favourite hard
rock albums. RIP Edward

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:32

very sad to hear of the passing of Eddie Van Halen,I got to see Van Halen back in 1978,r.i.p.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:03

God bless

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:07

Very sad news. He was a great musician.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:15

Saw Eddie open for the Stones in New Orleans in 78 and again in Orlando in 81. They opened their 1995 tour in my hometown of Pensacola Florida.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:28

“VAN HALEN written in cement by Eddie Van Halen and his brother Alex in 1976 on a sidewalk around the corner from their childhood home in Pasadena - still here 44 years later. Evidently there used to be a liquor store here, which they referred to as ‘Van Halen Headquarters.’”

[twitter.com]

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:46

I'm just staggered, shocked and saddened.

He was the reason i grabbed a tennis racquet and stood in front of the family stereo and pretended to play eruption for hours on end. When my friend Suhnton (pronounced Sin Tonne) played his version too me I freaked out, I couldn't believe that he learned Eruption..

So many good times especially in Summer were soundtracked by VH, 5150 in the summer of 86, 1984 in 84, @#$%&. in 1991..

Now the future

let's get the back log of Concert Video's out there, Largo 82, US Festival 83, 1984 Tour, Michael Anthony has 1st Gen copies of so much stuff, he's mentioned that a few times on Eddie Trunk

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 7, 2020 04:49

Shawn20
Saw Eddie open for the Stones in New Orleans in 78 and again in Orlando in 81. They opened their 1995 tour in my hometown of Pensacola Florida.

I was wondering if you would comment or not. If you have the stub, please post it.

Date: October 7, 2020 05:14

TooTough
He fought against cancer for ages it seems.
Holy shit. A true legend gone. Van Halen I
and Fair Warning are among my favourite hard
rock albums. RIP Edward

Classic pic from the back of the Diver Down album. Opening for the Stones 1981 Orlando. Not many opening bands do a final bow, look at the crowd with their fists in the air!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 7, 2020 05:43

VH best tunes for driving your hot rods in my opinion.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 7, 2020 06:35

I was 14 in 1984, and a freshman in high school. At that time, Van Halen WAS rock and roll.

Eddie certainly left his mark on the history of the electric guitar. He created a unique signature sound that helped define rock guitar at the time, along with his unquestionably virtuoso skills on the fingerboard.

Date: October 7, 2020 06:36

SKILLS
I'm just staggered, shocked and saddened.

He was the reason i grabbed a tennis racquet and stood in front of the family stereo and pretended to play eruption for hours on end. When my friend Suhnton (pronounced Sin Tonne) played his version too me I freaked out, I couldn't believe that he learned Eruption..

So many good times especially in Summer were soundtracked by VH, 5150 in the summer of 86, 1984 in 84, @#$%&. in 1991..

Now the future

let's get the back log of Concert Video's out there, Largo 82, US Festival 83, 1984 Tour, Michael Anthony has 1st Gen copies of so much stuff, he's mentioned that a few times on Eddie Trunk

Yes, please open up the vaults! There are bootleg vids on Youtube but it would be nice to get an official release from 78-84. There must be a full Oakland 81 concert, they wouldn't film over a couple nights just to film a few songs.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: October 7, 2020 07:45

So sad what a loss.The first album blew me away when i herd it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 7, 2020 09:05

Very sad news. A Van Halen fan, or not, Eddie’s pioneering techniques and influence cannot be denied. A legend of the electric guitar.

His solo on Beat It is probably the most instantly-recognisable guitar racket in pop music.

Rest in peace, Eddie Van Halen

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 7, 2020 10:18

He was smoking ciggies since age 12. At least according to one account. This is what killed him in my book. He was a boomer idol so end of this/ ... May God Bless. Hmnnn I had an aunt who smoked cigs from age 12 and she passed at age 83

Anyhow respected how Eddie shredded so joyously on me favorite VH tunes.I never saw them live but on 1980's MTV you had VH in high rotation.

Once more RIP --EV

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 7, 2020 10:37

RIP, a true legend who left his mark. Wish I'd seen him play live.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home