Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Whose departure negatively affected the band the most?
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 7, 2020 10:48

That's quite clear:
Bill!

Then Stu!

Date: October 7, 2020 12:30

Obviously Bill. And Taylor.

No Bill no Stones sound anymore.

(I know the present bass player is an extraordinarie one, he played with Miles Davis and technically is beyond what this band needs and so on...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 12:34 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 12:42

bobo
Bill = yes
Stu = yes
Brian = no
Mick T = not at all
With all due respect to Stu , he is the least important of any of them .He barely played on their albums.What he played was mostly inconsequential.Hopkins was the greater loss

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 7, 2020 12:58

What if they replace Charlie, then Ronnie, then Mick, and Keith just continues under the name The Rolling Stones till the end of time?

Date: October 7, 2020 13:30

Taylor1
bobo
Bill = yes
Stu = yes
Brian = no
Mick T = not at all
With all due respect to Stu , he is the least important of any of them .He barely played on their albums.What he played was mostly inconsequential.Hopkins was the greater loss

This is incorrect.

Date: October 7, 2020 13:31

24FPS
Wyman, for the chemistry alone. The real core of the Stones is Keith, Charlie and Bill. You remove one leg from that three legged stool and it's not the same. Bill could improve a song, envelop the sound and give it form. Darryl has nothing personal about his playing. You could hear humor in Bill's playing, like the rubbery notes on She's So Cold. Darryl simply fills a hole.

People underestimate Bill as a musician. He could also play keyboards, and marimbas and steel drum. His sensitivity was a bit overwhelmed by Brian's, but it became more apparent once Brian was gone.

Mick is not in "the real core"? smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 14:08

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
bobo
Bill = yes
Stu = yes
Brian = no
Mick T = not at all

This is incorrect.
Name the songs he played on live? Name the songs he played on the albums? Maybe5percentof their songs from1963 to1982? And with few exceptions they are not memorable or crucial to the song like Nicky on Sympathy,She’s a Rainbow or Billy on Shine a Light.Agreat guy,early member and integral inner member.But his musical contributions are minor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 14:09 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 7, 2020 14:20

Taylor1

But his musical contributions are minor.

Yep, always coming up with those minor chords...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 7, 2020 14:43

As far as I know, Nicky Hopkins' earliest contributions were during the Between the Buttons sessions, so surely all earlier piano performances are courtesy of Ian Stewart? I'm entirely sure how many recordings feature him, but he's quite present in mix on performances such as Can I Get a Witness and Down the Road Apiece.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: October 7, 2020 14:45

Bill!!

His unique bass playing: nothing to add!

But... since he left, their visual stage appearance is out of balance.

Not to forget: the Stones were for almost 30 years a five peace band. Which was important for their live choreography!!

Charlie – doing his job in the back.

Mick - frontman!!

Ronnie – clowning around on the left wing

Keith – center position, holding it together like a sergeant major

Bill – right wing, standing like a rock, focused on his playing and maybe on nice ladies in the audience

To me, that was “The Rolling Stones“. A strong unit with an incredible collective aura – much more than the sum of it´s parts.

Luckily I whitnessed that spectacle 1990 in Cologne. And Bill was an integral part of it. Hardly moving, but fully awake.

Since then, the Stones on stage seem to be an army squad after heavy losses with some young unexperiences replacements.

Priest

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:00

Virgin Priest

Since then, the Stones on stage seem to be an army squad after heavy losses with some young unexperiences replacements.

Priest

Love it. Great description.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:10

WorriedAboutYou
In your opinion, whose departure impacted the band the most?

If you could rewind the clock, which member would you rather was still in the Stones?

Bill.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:11

Munichhilton
Ian or Bill. I think Darryl is fantastic though so maybe Ian. I don’t like his replacement as much as Bills...

Good point. I felt bad saying Bill too.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:46

I would say Bobby Keys but that would sort of trash the latest iteration as Mick once put it when asked about Ronnie

Date: October 7, 2020 15:47

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
bobo
Bill = yes
Stu = yes
Brian = no
Mick T = not at all

This is incorrect.
Name the songs he played on live? Name the songs he played on the albums? Maybe5percentof their songs from1963 to1982? And with few exceptions they are not memorable or crucial to the song like Nicky on Sympathy,She’s a Rainbow or Billy on Shine a Light.Agreat guy,early member and integral inner member.But his musical contributions are minor.

Seemingly, you have some research to do.

An example: Even She Was Hot wouldn't have been the same without his piano.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:59

Agree 100% that Stu remains THE backline giant but can't imagine anything he did ever affected them negatively

Date: October 7, 2020 16:58

A few selected gems with Stu. It's easy to forget that he also played on all the albums during the "golden era", along with Nicky and Billy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 17:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 7, 2020 17:40

Very interesting to read so many replies about Bill, not that I disagree, just that I expected more of a vote for Taylor.

The worst thing about Taylor leaving was his replacement, Wood just bought nothing (or wasn't allowed to) to the band sonically and his playing was compromised - not that I dislike Wood - he was a phenomenal player in the Faces but his style is completely different in the Stones, I really miss that sound and tone he had in the Faces. In the Stones it's difficult to hear him at all.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 7, 2020 18:27

WorriedAboutYou
Very interesting to read so many replies about Bill, not that I disagree, just that I expected more of a vote for Taylor.

The worst thing about Taylor leaving was his replacement, Wood just bought nothing (or wasn't allowed to) to the band sonically and his playing was compromised - not that I dislike Wood - he was a phenomenal player in the Faces but his style is completely different in the Stones, I really miss that sound and tone he had in the Faces. In the Stones it's difficult to hear him at all.

Which is why he blends in so well.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 7, 2020 18:45

It's obvious whose departure effected the band the most, if you can't work that one out you can't work anything out.
Ronnie was, and is incapable of filling Taylors shoes, the thought that what might have been had Taylor been talked into staying never leaves, it's music's loss, because the Stones with Taylor are beyond comparison to any band, including one with dear old Ronnie.
They just complimented each other so well, Jagged wrote his best stuff with Taylor, Keith grew as a writer and player, the rhythm section was incredible, they were just the perfect band until Taylor left and who knows what heights they might have reached had he stayed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 18:46 by stone4ever.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 19:40

D*mn it DandelionPowderman ... (winking smiley),

Just adding these four, not even by far the greatest, songs, covering a wide range of albums, and make me listen to them during 10/15 minutes, makes me once more aware what a magnificant band the Rolling Stones are. Timeless with Flight 505, nasty with Sweet Virginia, sneaky with Short & Curlies and caring with Let it Bleed ...
To me it's not about having left the band and leaving a worse band behind.
All, Brian, Ian, Mick T and Bill left behind this magical "bit" of contribution that made the band into this timesless juwel. Time changes, so do we and so does the band, but the magic is still there ... Living In A Ghost Town cool smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 7, 2020 19:47

James Phelge

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill

We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to himi

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

——-
But really, for me, it’s Bill Wyman. The Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, and Ron Wood eras all have brilliant creative peaks, but there has been little of that since Bill left.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 7, 2020 20:02

stone4ever
It's obvious whose departure effected the band the most, if you can't work that one out you can't work anything out.
Ronnie was, and is incapable of filling Taylors shoes, the thought that what might have been had Taylor been talked into staying never leaves, it's music's loss, because the Stones with Taylor are beyond comparison to any band, including one with dear old Ronnie.
They just complimented each other so well, Jagged wrote his best stuff with Taylor, Keith grew as a writer and player, the rhythm section was incredible, they were just the perfect band until Taylor left and who knows what heights they might have reached had he stayed.

Amen.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: October 7, 2020 20:11

I agree it was Bill, in terms of greatest negative impact. But even then, they continued on, especially live, staying great. So even Bill leaving did not have that much of a negative impact. I like Darryl Jones a lot - he's a great guy and a worthy replacement, but their new songs, after Bill left, weren't as good - and part of the reason was no Bill (another reason, probably more impactful, was the creativity of Mick and Keith was declining).

The greatest overall impact of anyone leaving was both Brian and Mick Taylors departures. Brian's departure brought in Mick Taylor, who added a different blues based sound that fit fantastically with the musical talents of the other four. That had a major impact overall - much more positive than negative. It was similar when Mick T left, Ronnie fit in great (but differently). Ronnie didn't add anywhere near as much as Mick T, but Ronnie fit in better and his presence helped them remain what they are today - so a huge positive impact in that sense, along with the negatives associated with Taylor's departure.

Date: October 7, 2020 20:31

georgie48
D*mn it DandelionPowderman ... (winking smiley),

Just adding these four, not even by far the greatest, songs, covering a wide range of albums, and make me listen to them during 10/15 minutes, makes me once more aware what a magnificant band the Rolling Stones are. Timeless with Flight 505, nasty with Sweet Virginia, sneaky with Short & Curlies and caring with Let it Bleed ...
To me it's not about having left the band and leaving a worse band behind.
All, Brian, Ian, Mick T and Bill left behind this magical "bit" of contribution that made the band into this timesless juwel. Time changes, so do we and so does the band, but the magic is still there ... Living In A Ghost Town cool smiley
smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 8, 2020 17:44

Whenever someone mentions how Brian started the band and was the leader/driving force in the beginning lots of fans and Keith has to pretend that Stu started the band. Is Stu THE strawman for fans who dislike Brian and or Bill? Let me be clear, Stew was an important part in many songs and their sound but to me Nicky had a much much more important role both in the studio and live. Same goes for Billy.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 8, 2020 17:51

Nikkei
I would say Bobby Keys but that would sort of trash the latest iteration as Mick once put it when asked about Ronnie

Bobby? We all miss Bobby. But Karl hasn't missed a beat. It hasn't effected the band at all. Karl has brought some life into the horn section.

Date: October 8, 2020 17:53

<Is Stu THE strawman for fans who dislike Brian and or Bill?>

That's an easy one! No smiling smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 8, 2020 18:53

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
Ronnie was, and is incapable of filling Taylors shoes, the thought of what might have been had Taylor been talked into staying never leaves, it's music's loss, because the Stones with Taylor are beyond comparison to any band, including one with dear old Ronnie.

Amen.

Cheers, my pleasure, good to see you're still around Redhotcarpet smileys with beer

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 8, 2020 19:35

DandelionPowderman

That's an easy one! No smiling smiley

In my case,yes.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home