Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman CBE
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 4, 2020 21:05

Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. When did that happen? Can someone enlighten me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-04 23:06 by Stoneage.

Re: Bill Wyman CBE
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 4, 2020 23:09

Stoneage
Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. When did that happen? Can someone enlighten me?

As far as I know that's FAKE NEWS. He has not had any Honours like that. What's your 'source' for this?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 4, 2020 23:12

It may be fake news, CC. That's why I was asking for more info. The reason I ask is because Wikipedia states he has a CBE.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 4, 2020 23:20

I can't find any more sources so I'm quite convinced the information on Wikipedia is wrong. BV can close this thread now if he so wishes.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 4, 2020 23:22

He will always be a prince of bass to me

Date: October 4, 2020 23:40

Worth noting for those without the knowledge of the UK Honours system that a CBE is a fairly high honour.

Older readers will recall the Establishment fuss when The Beatles were awarded MBE's. The "M" refers to being Members of the Order of the British Empire.

That's about the lowest Honour available.

The level above that is simply OBE.

And the one above that in turn is the Commander of the Order of the British Empire. CBE.

That's fairly significant and is one that attracts a LOT of attention when awarded.

See [en.wikipedia.org] some more on this.

I'm pretty sure that if Bill had got this I'd have noticed. :-)

(But happy to be proved wrong. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 4, 2020 23:52

Don't worry, CC. You're most certainly right. You can even skip the "most certainly" in that phrase. For some reason someone has printed a CBE after Bill's name on Wikipedia.
I'm sure it will be corrected.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2020 00:02

My mother’s uncle has a CBE. Heck was formerly the curator of the Victoria and Albert museum.

Date: October 5, 2020 00:32

Big Al
My mother’s uncle has a CBE. Heck was formerly the curator of the Victoria and Albert museum.

That's exactly the sort of Establishment person who gets a CBE.

(BTW I'm impressed. "The" Curator at the V&A is pretty good!).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 5, 2020 00:36

I've edit out the false CBE from his Wikipedia page. (Which only goes to show how 'careful' we all need to be when referring to information there!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 5, 2020 02:14

CBE: Certified Bass Expert

jb

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 5, 2020 10:18

jbwelda
CBE: Certified Bass Expert

jb

thumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 5, 2020 11:56

Funny to see you English still deal with that Empire thing. Hasn't the British Empire come to an end in the late 1940s? Didn't the collaboration change to the Commonwealth? Amazing, they still stick to it.

Date: October 5, 2020 12:18

Meise
Funny to see you English still deal with that Empire thing. Hasn't the British Empire come to an end in the late 1940s? Didn't the collaboration change to the Commonwealth? Amazing, they still stick to it.

You are completely correct. It's madness.

Just the same as having as their Head of State someone who is supposed to be powerless but is in fact very influential, and who only has the job because some remote ancestor was more of a butcher on a battlefield than anyone else!

The class system still rules there as well. Most "Conservative" Prime Ministers have attended the same school - supported by long lines of in-bred nobility leading to the current buffoon in power there.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 5, 2020 12:21

Meise

Absolutely. Empire is a dirty word and I've heard they are going to be re-naming these medals of honour and linking it with the UK's dubious slave-dealing past.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: October 5, 2020 16:06

This is the first time that I have seen a thread on this great website degenerate so rapidly into utter nonsense!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 5, 2020 17:58

CaptainGlassback
This is the first time that I have seen a thread on this great website degenerate so rapidly into utter nonsense!

You haven't read the "Blondie is under the stage playing for Keith" threads.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2020 22:27

a thread on this great website degenerate so rapidly into utter nonsense!

Ya shoulda been here when Don Was mentioned
hitting a brickwall on one particular song ....

from then on one guy included it in
every sentence he wrote for then next two years

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 5, 2020 22:33

Oh Bill's a Commander alright.
From Rt. 66 and forward 25 years.
Them Royals w Andrew make Bill's evolution as the world's quitest super sex King lookie tame.
Bill was a wanted man, not a buying them.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: October 5, 2020 23:01

Now this is becoming a great post!!! Firstly 'our' Bill is a far greater person than any of our 'german royal family'. (Despite that comment I am in fact a truly Devout Royalist!). The criticism of Andrew is the fakest of all fake news that MSM feeds to the most gullible of the gullible! Thank you CoolTP for pointing me to the Blondie post!! Wow! A great read. Mostly hilarious! Now for a personal admission!!!! Having watched them live since '65, I have, since New Bingley Hall, Stafford, ('76?), when I began to ask myself how a human being so smashed could play 'like a demon'. Knowing deep down that The Genius before me was genuine I still used to stare intently at his guitar and was able to report back each time that there was no faking!! No surprise for me. I have not bothered with that daft 'study' for the last 20 years of attendance as with age there is no point fighting my way down the front to study the frets....as I always have to go back out for a slash during Miss You!!! It's a 'male age' thing!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2020 00:53

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home