Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Do you still listen to Blue and Lonesome?
Date: October 8, 2020 00:59

filstan
DandelionPowderman
filstan
DandelionPowderman
How can a (more or less) live recording in the studio be over-produced?

It's under-produced. The drums are hardly EQ'ed and the guitars sound as old school as they get to my ears. I've heard way worse modern mastering, too.

Perhaps overproduced is the wrong term. If not overproduced, Blue and Lonesome was mastered in a certain way that created a specific sound. Again, to my ears despite the high quality of musicianship, Blue and Lonesome does not have a natural sound to it except for Micks vocals and superb harp playing. That said I still like the album.

You have the cd or the vinyl?

I have just the CD for this album. Was tempted to buy the vinyl...

I have both. The cd sounds a little harsh, imo. The vinyl sounds a little more organic and 'softer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2020 01:01

5 CD Deluxe sets
1 CD Deluxe Japanese pressing
3 Vinyl

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 8, 2020 01:17

Well no wonder it sold so well, Rockman himself almost cornered the market!

jb

Date: October 8, 2020 01:44

I'm kinda like a bra ... Gotta support the stones

Hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2020 02:24

Those CD Deluxe sets were being sold for apprx. $10 a piece (regular price apprx. $45) via AmazonUK w/free shipping during a massive sell to help build up sales not long after B&L was released. Even though I didn't care much for the album, I bought three of them. Gave one away for X-mas, opened one to play and to see the contents (and played it maybe three times), and still have one brand new and sealed. Truth be told, there's nothing really "deluxe" about it other than it came in a slightly larger box than a cd, included a few postcard/photos, along with a mini booklet. There were no extra tracks whatsoever, and in the end it's probably only worth the $10 they were being sold for....maybe $15 because of the nice looking box itself.

Date: October 8, 2020 03:08

Man you're so negative
Always looking for the low shot ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2020 03:20

Just an honest and truthful opinion - it didn't come anywhere near what every other Stones Deluxe set has offered.
Even Keith's Talk is Cheap Deluxe included everything but the kitchen sink! But this one left a lot to be desired, and was sort of pointless IMO.

Date: October 8, 2020 03:39

Ya know what I mean ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 9, 2020 16:38

DandelionPowderman
filstan
DandelionPowderman
filstan
DandelionPowderman
How can a (more or less) live recording in the studio be over-produced?

It's under-produced. The drums are hardly EQ'ed and the guitars sound as old school as they get to my ears. I've heard way worse modern mastering, too.

Perhaps overproduced is the wrong term. If not overproduced, Blue and Lonesome was mastered in a certain way that created a specific sound. Again, to my ears despite the high quality of musicianship, Blue and Lonesome does not have a natural sound to it except for Micks vocals and superb harp playing. That said I still like the album.

I have just the CD for this album. Was tempted to buy the vinyl...

I have both. The cd sounds a little harsh, imo. The vinyl sounds a little more organic and 'softer.

Thanks DP. This was my complaint with the CD. Rough on the ears when played loud after a few tracks. I had read that the vinyl was easier on the ears. I see it's a reasonable offer at $25 by Amazon. While it probable makes sense from a SQ standpoint to make it a double album, it would have been nice if it was pressed as a single LP for convenience purposes.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 17:49

For me, the standout track on this album is “Hate To See You Go”, and I still listen to this song regularly. The rest of the album is fine but not among my favourite Stones albums, and I tend to play it less frequently.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:14

It's all outstanding to me! When I first discovered early Stones, I was fascinated by the great covers, Jimmy Reed, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Solomon Burke. I loved reading up on these greats and listening to their own music.

I sort of accepted they were past that phase, but deep down I always wished them did some of those covers again, sort of like what they did with Little Baby on Stripped (admittedly, not all that great a cover, but still pretty cool).

My best Stones buddy is the same way, to us, it was heaven to get an album like Blue & Lonesome at this late stage in their career. I just assumed most Stones fans were like us, I get shocked each time I read something negative about this release, it doesn't make sense to me. This is such a great album to have, I put it right up there behind the 'big four' ... maybe not # 5, but certainly in my top 10!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 18:16 by LeonidP.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 10, 2020 04:37

Of course I still listen to it and every time I hear something new to love about it! What's NOT to like!? It's the STONES doing what they do best!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 10, 2020 06:51

...the short answer is yes! I still listen to Blue and Lonesome. I think it is a great later day Stones blues feast for the ears that they probably should have released earlier in their career.

However, as much as I like the Stones Blue and Lonesome, the one blues tune that I CONSISTENTLY come back to (that doesn't even feature all the Stones on it) ended up on the obscure (and eventual bargain bin) release of Jamming with Edward: "It Hurts Me Too." There is something in the way Jagger delivers that rough vocal as he conveys real heartache and anguish-even if it was just a quick throw-away jam. He gets it right.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-10 13:46 by Sighunt.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:42

NilsHolgersson
When you watch the Four Flicks documentary and the Stones are in the studio just jamming some blues songs.. I think it's the best thing ever, I don't even know what song it is, maybe Jagger makes up the lyrics on the spot.. You better leave that man alone.. or you're gonna lose your happy home

Hey Nils, I totally agree - it's a marvelous track! A few years ago I asked the IORR experts what song this is, and according to Rockman (thanks Rockee!) it's a rough take on Buddy Guy's "Leave My Girl Alone", found on his album "Left My Blues In San Francisco".

The fact the Stones didn't release it (and instead put out mediocre, forgettable stuff like "Don't Stop", "Keys to Your Love", and "Stealing My Heart") is a real lapse of judgment, IMO. I'd love to find it on a bootleg somewhere, if it exists.

Here's Buddy himself performing the original track. This is the real deal.

Drew

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 00:43 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:55

No. I am much more happy now...

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:56

Yes.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:59

Sorry, never bothered with Blue and Boring. I don't think the album has made much of an impact either. Nice album design though.
Easily recognized in the supermarket. It probably sold well.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 3, 2022 22:04

Yes. Love it!

Date: February 3, 2022 22:22

Of course .... its The Stones doin' blues....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 4, 2022 00:50

Yes, I play it from time to time, and it is great !

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 4, 2022 01:01

yes love it

listen to it all the time

bought it on cd and two copies on vinyl

on to play with my light tracking 70's and 80's carts

and another to wear out with my heavy tracking
early 60's late 50's carts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 01:02 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 4, 2022 02:23

Yes...to sleep. Blue and boring.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 02:50

No

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 02:57

As with most of the Stones later output, I'm more inclined to listen to particular tracks these days than to play the entire album. I find "Blue & Lonesome" is enjoyable as a whole, but I particularly like a few of the tracks above the others. "Hate To See You Go" is the standout for me and is on my regular playlist.

I find it a tad amusing that the album isn't actually called "Blue & Boring", given the Stones penchant for including double-B's in their titles (Between The Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Black & Blue, Bridges To Babylon, A Bigger Bang). Makes me wonder if "Beast Of Burden" was ever considered for the Some Girls album title track. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 03:00 by sf37.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: February 4, 2022 03:58

I only listen to my two favorite songs... "video: [youtu.be]Little Rain" and "Hoo Doo Blues", I would have preferred a couple of more downtempo blues.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 4, 2022 04:04

The Tattoo You Deluxe set was most recent REAL listening I've done with Stones.

Been buying Jazz catalogue albums from the 50s and 60s on vinyl and loving that.

As I mentioned in another thread Easy Sleazy(ish) new music is what I'd really like to hear from the Stones right now.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: February 4, 2022 04:51

B&L Rips. I think stellar only flaw is Mick over singing on the last song. Wish he would have went understated on that one.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 4, 2022 06:06

It's a great album. Eric is fantastic on Everybody Knows About My Baby, and You Shook Me. Ronnie is really good on Hate To See You Go. I can actually sit down and listen to this one. In fact, I meant to. I reached for it and realized I'd let somebody borrow it. Oh well. I can rip a copy from my ITunes library. I know there will never be another Stones album like it, spontaneous, done quick. And of course with Charlie gone, the magic has eroded even further. I'm just grateful we got it. It was suggested on here for years.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 4, 2022 06:12

Not always the album. Certain tracks mostly.

So... yes.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2022 07:11

Not lately, but glad I saw this thread. I will change that!

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home