Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Do you still listen to Blue and Lonesome?
Date: September 29, 2020 18:28

I maybe listened it two or three times when it came out, but never since. I found it quite boring and uninspired. If it's not the worst Stones album ever, for me it is sure in the Down 5. Better don't tell anyone about it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 29, 2020 18:50

I am really surprised and a little shocked to hear people diss the Stones attempt at connecting with their origins and also spread a little of the sugar around to those who are in abject poverty (and their survivors). Makes me wonder sometimes just how committed these people are to the Rolling Stones as a musical entity and not just as some fetish they indulge in.

>Wouldn't that be a world first? 8 country and 2 reaggae tunes for instance?

Reggae is country music; just from another country.

I basically consider most "country" music as done by the Stones a parody. Jagger just doesn't seem to take it very seriously and uses that joke "american country" accent or phrasing that turns every song into a parody of the true style. He does that a lot but especially with "country" music.

I would be all for an album of reggae covers in the same style as Blue and Lonesome and make sure the proceeds go to original artists and not their producers. I think that would be a fitting tribute to another genre they have borrowed extensively from. First though they would need to brush up on reggae riddims and how to play a decent one drop.

jb

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:05

jbwelda

I basically consider most "country" music as done by the Stones a parody. Jagger just doesn't seem to take it very seriously and uses that joke "american country" accent or phrasing that turns every song into a parody of the true style. He does that a lot but especially with "country" music.

jb

Sweet Virginia ...., Far Away Eyes ...., man, do I love these songs! Great lyrics!
smileys with beer

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:08

No Spare Parts right in there.

I didn't say I didn't appreciate them, its just the delivery is very tongue in cheek and not very serious country music sounding.

jb

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 29, 2020 20:16

I DO still listen to Black and Blue. Does that count?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 20:23

jbwelda
No Spare Parts right in there.

I didn't say I didn't appreciate them, its just the delivery is very tongue in cheek and not very serious country music sounding.

jb

I agree. It's a typical Stones approach on music, be it country, reggae, or whatever. It has a typical Stones marking and that makes the band unique IMO.
Six more weeks to go until the Unzipped Exhibition ... but that's another story cool smiley

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:20

I haven’t since it was released. I listened to Aerosmith’s Honkin’ on Bobo more.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:52

I sometimes listen to it, but I don't like the production. They recorded every song in one or a few takes, but they didn't mind the dynamics. And I still miss Bill with his swingin' bass.

Besides I like there own blues originals more.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:29

Yes. Beats GHS by a long way. I'm Gonna Leave You Baby, before I Commit a Crime...

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:35

I still listen to it (and did so last week) and still like it. But I like all their albums and still listen to all of them.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:38

I can't believe people calling themselves true life long Stones fan not listening or putting down the album on this board. Well guess what? You're not a true Stones fan.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:45

Cooltoplady
I can't believe people calling themselves true life long Stones fan not listening or putting down the album on this board. Well guess what? You're not a true Stones fan.

We only have differing opinions.

I can be a huge fan - and I am - without blindly loving everything they put out. Ditto Beatles, Zep, etc. .

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:56

Its a good album but.....it's a covers album. GHS is all original material. Apples to Oranges.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:58

TumblinDice76
Its a good album but.....it's a covers album. GHS is all original material. Apples to Oranges.

True, but the Stones have always been great at covers (at least to my ears). Imagination, Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, Going to a Go-Go, just to name a few — Fantastic!

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:14

I bought it the day it was released and have listened to it many times. Been following and listening to the Stones since 1964. Funny, I just listened to the Album last week. I think it's a great album and I dig every song. Of course, the Rolling Stones are my favorite Group.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:47

Cooltoplady

Being a "true fan" of any band or artist includes being critical of things that either aren't good or that one doesn't like.

Are you a true pizza fan? Going by what you describe as a true fan then you should love pizza with cauliflower, pineapple and popcorn covered in peanut butter.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:08

I put B&L into a mix of LPs of all types of rock and blues on my computer which feeds into my home system. It always brings a smile when one of those tunes comes up. Good stuff.

HBK

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:19

Going by what you describe as a true fan then you should love pizza with cauliflower, pineapple and popcorn covered in peanut butter.

doubt ya'd find one like that in
Italy but bet they have 'em in Bali ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 30, 2020 01:12

ChrisL
TumblinDice76

True, but the Stones have always been great at covers (at least to my ears). Imagination, Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, Going to a Go-Go, just to name a few — Fantastic!

Not to forget Harlem Shuffle...

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: September 30, 2020 01:38

I listened to it about a month ago. My iTunes library says I've listened to every song at least a 100 times since released.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 30, 2020 01:47

Very enjoyable album, but I've never had the urge to listen a second time.

One and done.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 30, 2020 02:54

Yes, listened to it today in the car - Just a fool reminded me of a couple of shows last year and Europe the year before..........yeah, enjoyed it.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: September 30, 2020 02:54

Just listened to it today & was again blown away by the depth of emotion in the playing & vocals.

If they could bring this kind of emotional level to an album of new material we'd have another classic 4-star album.

The selection of songs they picked were great too. I'd personally love to see 'Blue & Lonesome Vol. II'

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2020 04:35

Rockman
Going by what you describe as a true fan then you should love pizza with cauliflower, pineapple and popcorn covered in peanut butter.

doubt ya'd find one like that in
Italy but bet they have 'em in Bali ...

I have it on high authority that there is no popcorn or peanut butter in Bali. Bali is full of rocks and the people roll there so, you know, it's a rock'n'roll island.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 30, 2020 04:41

Horribly over compressed. Worst sounding Stones album ever. Please do not ever record at that studio again.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 07:23

Great album that brought the Stones full circle. Haven't played it in its entirety in a few months but I'll give it a full spin again tomorrow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 30, 2020 09:58

When it came out, I listened it for months very heavily, probably more than any 'new' album by anyone for ages, but since then not so much. But that doesn't mean I don't like it any longer or it is not a very good album (it is). Namely, by that criterion I would say the same about EXILE or LET IT BLEED... It belongs to the albums I put on when I happen to have a right mood. It always works and like someone nicely said, it always puts a smile on my face. What else could you ask? I like every track - the album is such a coherent, sweet and short piece but each track also works individually - but my favourites are "Hate See You Go" and "Just Your Fool" (it is also those two songs that accidently pop up in different places - radio, bars - and oh damn how great and distinctive they then sound!).

I am so proud that they put BLUE & LONESOME out. Such a great latter-day statement. A cool move by so many accounts. As a listening experience it really is a 'straight-to-the-bone, no bullshitting' album. Only The Stones could have done it.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-30 10:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2020 10:12

Their best album of the post Wyman era. The only Stones album post Wyman I listen as regularly as I do the albums from the Golden Age. Even more than something like Dirty Work or Undercover.

The real stars of the album are Ronnie and Mick, though Charlie does swing. And Eric's two numbers are great. I think it would be impossible to do a follow up Volume 2, because it would be too forced. This was quick, down and dirty without worrying about their reputation. Most importantly it retains their blues credibility stretching all the way back to the first album. In fact the only blues song they ever recorded that went flat was Down In The Hole.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2020 11:28

Would anyone agree that Keith is a little subdued on this album? There's some nice guitar-work, certainly, - Ride 'Em On Down, for instance - but, as 24FPS says in the above post, Ronnie - along with Mick's harp and vocals - is the real star. His playing is excellent and dominating throughout. It's as if Keith took a backseat, somewhat.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2020 11:44

Yeah i dunno Al .... Keith is not a show
off player ... check him out when he's on
anothers album .... never glaring but always
there deep down in the mix .... If he was a
brick layer hed be layin the foundations not the main wall .....

theres a lesson there for all of us ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home