Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Do you still listen to Blue and Lonesome?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 29, 2020 02:16

It never clicked with me. Big fan of their early blues, though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 29, 2020 02:40

Cooltoplady
Elmo Lewis
Listened to it twice.

Big Stones fan, big blues fan, but somehow it didn't click with me.

That doesn't make sense.

As KRiffhard says - It's too boring

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 29, 2020 02:41

glimmertwin1
Elmo Lewis
Listened to it twice.

Big Stones fan, big blues fan, but somehow it didn't click with me.

+1 I will give it a spin the next weeks !

Cool

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 29, 2020 02:42

Rockman
How many here play the first two or
three Stones albums .... Ya very
rarely ever see 'em get a mention here ..

TRS ... !2x5 ... Now .... ALL Classic Stuff

Yes, love those. TRS is called England's newest Hitmakers in the USA.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 29, 2020 02:45

Still listening to it. Wonderful album. Love the live energy flowing through it... Vinyl at home, CD in the car.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 29, 2020 03:19

I listened to B & L twice then lost interest in it. The Stones played well but, to my ears, there was no dynamic to the music to keep me interested. They were that "groovy covers band" as put by one of the Dylan characters in the movie "I'm Not There". Regarding early original Stones albums, they still groove with some really cool songs on them. The American release called "The Rolling Stones Now" I played nearly every day for years. It got me through sad, bad, happy, glad, rockin', partyin', just sittin' back and listenin' times. I played it for people who weren't aware of it and the Stones r&b and blues background. They went wow about how tight and cool a listen the album is. They only knew the Stones through some popular songs.

Date: September 29, 2020 03:51

I like this at first but over time do not listen to it as much. Both the song selection and the songs are done very well although they do sound a bit like they are forced songs and not just something they grooved on for a while and polished out.
There are no "rocker" on the disc to pick up the tempo so it is a disc I have to be in a certain mood to listen to.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 29, 2020 06:25

I love it, every song! Haven't listened to the album in a couple months but it will certainly go back in the rotation. I would guess I played it about 25 times so far!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2020 06:42

Heck I lived with it for over a year ....
Musta spun like 25 times a day .... Esp on the way to my riders home ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 29, 2020 07:12

Oh yeah? ... well i played it 25 times in one hour (78 rpm speed, of course)

Date: September 29, 2020 07:14

Okay you win ... cant top that ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 08:27

I wouldn’t call myself a huge John Wayne fan…I know the voice of course, I dig the Stones connection etc. but I don’t think I’ve ever sat through one of the Duke’s movies. However, I proudly display ‘The Official John Wayne Handy Book for Men’ on my coffee table. Why? Because in 2018 that was the trendy thing to do. In 2016, the people bought Blue & Lonesome for the same reason. But not me, pilgrim. A serious Stones fan eschews peppermint candy. Blue & Lonesome is peppermint candy.

Date: September 29, 2020 08:44

Official John Wayne Handy Book for Men !!!!!!!!!!!!! .....

Geeeeez rather have a few early copies
of Hustler layin about on the kitchen table ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 29, 2020 09:29

dmay
I listened to B & L twice then lost interest in it. The Stones played well but, to my ears, there was no dynamic to the music to keep me interested. They were that "groovy covers band" as put by one of the Dylan characters in the movie "I'm Not There". Regarding early original Stones albums, they still groove with some really cool songs on them. The American release called "The Rolling Stones Now" I played nearly every day for years. It got me through sad, bad, happy, glad, rockin', partyin', just sittin' back and listenin' times. I played it for people who weren't aware of it and the Stones r&b and blues background. They went wow about how tight and cool a listen the album is. They only knew the Stones through some popular songs.

Little Rain being the exception?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:46

It's an enjoyable romp through some of their very-favourite blues and rhythm-and-blues numbers.

However, if I'm honest, it isn't an album I would now listen to on a whim. It'd take a thread, such as this, to remind me of it's existence. With that in mind, maybe I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 29, 2020 11:08

Wrong question, I think. The correct one would be: Will they release Blue And Lonesome II or III or IV and so on?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2020 11:12

RobertJohnson
Wrong question, I think. The correct one would be: Will they release Blue And Lonesome II or III or IV and so on?

They could do a lot worse.

I still like B&L a lot and...and would certainly welcome further volumes.

It takes them nicely full circle for me .

Date: September 29, 2020 11:21

Maybe they'd be better off doin an album
of limp lullabies for all the old dudes on here .... HHHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 29, 2020 12:18

Rockman

Yeah I agree Terry! Sometimes one wonders, B & L is, except maybe for the kinda strange treatment of Can't Quit You (sounds too clean and "Mayallish") what the boys are all about.

Hoodoo Blues is the best, dirtiest little piece of just pure pleasure since at least Champagne and Reefer with Buddy Guy in 2006.

Little Rain and the title track are amazing and the fact that I made my band finish our live shows with Just Your Fool between 2004 to 2006 is a cool personal thing. Commit A Crime is another favourite I'm so happy they finally cut.

A Volume II would be most enjoyable I'm sure but my wet dream is that they cut a COUNTRY album. That would make a grown man cry!smileys with beer

They could throw in a couple of cool reaggae tunes for good measure. Wouldn't that be a world first? 8 country and 2 reaggae tunes for instance?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 12:21 by MadMax.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 12:51

Rockman

Carefull, Rockman grinning smiley
Many of us (you too) old dudes are tough cookies ... and not only while in "lockdown". Too many softies around these days winking smiley They should get an injection of solid old 60s Stones music to start with ... and learn to grow up grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 29, 2020 13:21

I only listened to it 3 or 4 times, when it came out. That was more than enough. If I want to listen to the Stones playing blues covers (and sometimes I do), I prefer listening to their first album.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:03

I did at the weekend, at full volume, as I was driving through the *#&%^#)@(*%&$ traffic in Saigon.

So yes, I still do! smileys with beer

Date: September 29, 2020 14:07

hey should get an injection of solid old 60s Stones music to start with

HHHHHaaaaaaaaa ... I was raised on that stuff ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:21

matxil
I only listened to it 3 or 4 times, when it came out. That was more than enough. If I want to listen to the Stones playing blues covers (and sometimes I do), I prefer listening to their first album.

thumbs up

Date: September 29, 2020 14:35

Bit boring, but play Just Your Fool almost everyday.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2020 15:07

MadMax
A Volume II would be most enjoyable I'm sure but my wet dream is that they cut a COUNTRY album. That would make a grown man cry!smileys with beer

They could throw in a couple of cool reaggae tunes for good measure. Wouldn't that be a world first? 8 country and 2 reaggae tunes for instance?

With you on that too.

They do country with a lot more authenticity than most so called "Country" artists ...and Keith has a very real feel for Reggae.

Date: September 29, 2020 15:21

Spud
MadMax

With you on that too.

They do country with a lot more authenticity than most so called "Country" artists ...and Keith has a very real feel for Reggae.

Give Willie Nelson's reggae album a try - Countryman

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 15:49

Rockman
hey should get an injection of solid old 60s Stones music to start with

HHHHHaaaaaaaaa ... I was raised on that stuff ....

I know winking smiley
Don't you think that LIAGT contains a fair bit of those roots? It's in their blood, just like Brian's spirit winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 29, 2020 18:05

I like it, still spin it from time to time. Just like i treat you, my fav. If I were to spin only groundbreakin albums it would be a little sad down here

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2020 18:11

RobertJohnson

They could have (Keith mentioned the possibility), and they should have as there hasn't been a new album of originals since. Not that it would be any better, but it would at least be something.
B&L was the result of them hitting the wall whilst attempting to work on that supposed new album of originals, and seems they still haven't recovered from it. Yes they've released ONE new/original tune since then, but the rest of their energy has been focused on reworking/regurgitating work from the distant past. With no more touring for the foreseeable future, maybe they'll get around to B&L II, III, or IV...something's better than nothing imo.
But who knows...maybe the new album of originals they started and never finished....the one that they repeatedly said "sounds good" and "working on it"...nah....that's probably hoping for too much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 18:14 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home