Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tom Petty Live Anthology
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 28, 2020 02:58

I ordered this a couple weeks ago (four CD compilation of live recordings for those who may not know), and have been playing it on and off since I got it. This probably isn't news to a lot of people, but as an only sometime fan of the band, I was really REALLY impressed by this set.

For one thing, the cover songs...f'in ROCK! Cover some really great stuff too: Something In the Air (I forget who did this, but I always associate it with Pete Townsend), Green Onions (sounds like Booker T and the MGs to the note), their version of I'm a Man echoing the Yardbirds at their most crucial, Mystic Eyes (another scorcher), Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, the title song from the James Bond film Goldfinger, the Grateful Dead's Friend of the Devil (surprisingly well delivered and recorded in San Francisco, deadheads present must have gone wild) and I probably missed some in there. All of these tracks approach or exceed the originals in pure excitement and musicianship. I thought they all were surprisingly outstanding.

Then there is the idea that over the course of 4 disks, each with over 60 minutes on them, there is nary a repeated song. If only the Stones could do that with their endless live releases. And all the hits and the lesser hits are here and in very good nick, I almost think better performances than original recordings. And even though they are taken from different shows at different venues (possibly different band personnel?), they are all mixed in a manner that makes it a pretty seamless listening experience.

What this all showed me, again not a particularly big fan of Tom Petty, was what a great and versatile musician he was, and what a rocking band he had assembled and maintained through the years. I had totally underrated him after hearing a lot of his more mainstream hits, good as they were, but I mostly dismissed them along with a lot of commercial music in those days. Serious mistake that I am glad to be rectifying here and now.

If anyone has any interest in this artist and doesn't have this set (or the coveted 7 or 8 disk vinyl set) my advice is to pick one up right away. The "normal" 4 cd version goes for only around 25 USD on ebay, thats what I paid for mine including shipping. As for myself I just pre-ordered the super deluxe version of Wildflowers on the strength of what I hear here.

jb

Re: OT: Tom Petty Live Anthology
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 28, 2020 03:53

[youtu.be]

Thunderclap Newman Produced by Pete Townshend, who was friends with one of the members. Excellent album btw. Look for Jimmy McCulloch, later of Wings fame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-28 04:00 by KSIE.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: September 28, 2020 04:41

jbwelda
I ordered this a couple weeks ago (four CD compilation of live recordings for those who may not know), and have been playing it on and off since I got it. This probably isn't news to a lot of people, but as an only sometime fan of the band, I was really REALLY impressed by this set.

For one thing, the cover songs...f'in ROCK! Cover some really great stuff too: Something In the Air (I forget who did this, but I always associate it with Pete Townsend), Green Onions (sounds like Booker T and the MGs to the note), their version of I'm a Man echoing the Yardbirds at their most crucial, Mystic Eyes (another scorcher), Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, the title song from the James Bond film Goldfinger, the Grateful Dead's Friend of the Devil (surprisingly well delivered and recorded in San Francisco, deadheads present must have gone wild) and I probably missed some in there. All of these tracks approach or exceed the originals in pure excitement and musicianship. I thought they all were surprisingly outstanding.

Then there is the idea that over the course of 4 disks, each with over 60 minutes on them, there is nary a repeated song. If only the Stones could do that with their endless live releases. And all the hits and the lesser hits are here and in very good nick, I almost think better performances than original recordings. And even though they are taken from different shows at different venues (possibly different band personnel?), they are all mixed in a manner that makes it a pretty seamless listening experience.

What this all showed me, again not a particularly big fan of Tom Petty, was what a great and versatile musician he was, and what a rocking band he had assembled and maintained through the years. I had totally underrated him after hearing a lot of his more mainstream hits, good as they were, but I mostly dismissed them along with a lot of commercial music in those days. Serious mistake that I am glad to be rectifying here and now.

If anyone has any interest in this artist and doesn't have this set (or the coveted 7 or 8 disk vinyl set) my advice is to pick one up right away. The "normal" 4 cd version goes for only around 25 USD on ebay, thats what I paid for mine including shipping. As for myself I just pre-ordered the super deluxe version of Wildflowers on the strength of what I hear here.

jb

I made the same suggestion years ago on this board that the Stones could do something like this. Hits, rarities, covers etc., from throughout their career, all sounding like one long show.

Petty’s Anthology Live, is a super collection. I especially love “Louisiana Rain” and “Learning To Fly.”

Hey Mick...it’s not too late!

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: September 28, 2020 04:49

It's certainly brilliant. I feel very fortunate to have a mint copy as well signed by the man himself.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: September 28, 2020 05:20

Paulhanrahan
It's certainly brilliant. I feel very fortunate to have a mint copy as well signed by the man himself.

That’s very cool. How’d that come about?

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: September 28, 2020 15:04

jbwelda

jb

Good read JB thumbs up always thought his creativity with lyrics were succinct, meaningful in the most efficient way - no room for fluff if you get my meaning. Live Anthology is one of my favorites for sure.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 29, 2020 18:15

Paulhanrahan

Nice one!! How did this come to pass?

Date: September 29, 2020 18:58

The thing I like most about the cover songs they perform is that they do them like they mean it, not like they are just filling time and making fun of a genre. Some do not like when artists cover others' songs, note for note, but I find it invigorating to hear close covers of forgotten songs, done seriously like they see the true meaning and power of the original song. Too often bands like the Rolling Stones just "cover" songs in a slap dash manner, as throw aways, but that is not what we got from Tom Petty and his outfit. This set really opened my eyes to the versatility that was in that band and what I would have to imagine was the insight from the leader into what songs they should do and how they should do them.

The other thing I like about this set is that they are laying down great versions of their own songs, and not just tossing them out there to satisfy the "greatest hits" listeners or using them as some jumping off point for crappy solos and extended wanking. They sound like they are playing them from the heart even though they probably have played the songs thousands of times. Again, something the Stones could learn from.

Great set and now I am going to try to score the vinyl box set...truth be told its what i wanted from the beginning but I decided to try the cheap CD and see if I thought the bigger investment would be worthwhile. I have decided...

jb

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:04

I had wanted Springsteen to release a set like this after his monumental crowd requests from a few years back...

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: September 30, 2020 05:45

Re the signed copy, I picked it up from an auction s few years ago in the US.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: September 30, 2020 06:21

The 4 cd box set American Treasure is also a great set to have.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2020 23:46

LSTNT

As is "Wildflowers & All the Rest". Listening now. It's awesome!

Date: October 17, 2020 00:54

I am just now listening again to the live anthology. Sterling stuff here, wish I had paid more attention when the cat was alive.

I got the super duper Wildflowers on order and am anxiously awaiting its arrival

jb

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: October 17, 2020 21:40

You’ll love the 9lp box, JB. The home demos bring a tear to the eye.

Date: October 18, 2020 01:48

I went back and double checked my order for the Wildflowers set. I guess I chickened out on the super deluxe 9lp because turns out I ordered the 3 lp set.

And it appears the vinyl is in stock and shipping so too late to cancel I guess (though the big A is pretty lenient about that). Kind of kicking myself right now. Maybe I will take the plunge on the 9LP set though, got some extra covid cash.

jb

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 18, 2020 02:37

Great set. A nice mix of originals, singles, album tracks and covers.

Only regret for me is that I have to go elsewhere for the Beatles cover “I Need You” and the J.J. Cale cover “13 Days”. Both recordings surpass the originals, IMO, and would fit in great on this anthology.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: October 18, 2020 06:13

crholmstrom
LSTNT

As is "Wildflowers & All the Rest". Listening now. It's awesome!

Yes, I picked up the 5 cd Super Deluxe package. Absolutely stunning.

Date: October 18, 2020 08:06

So I understand if you order the 4 cd set from the Tom Petty official store, they include downloads for all plus the fifth cd. Thats at 50$ vs 150$ if I remember right.

I am kind of loathe to put out much money on CDs anymore, but that seems like a decent deal vs the 250 for the 9 LP super deluxe edition (as opposed to the ultra super deluxe version which is sold out and was fetching 500, for some extra trinkets but the same music).

jb

OT: Tom Petty - "Wildflowers & All The Rest"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 18, 2020 19:10

Manna.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home