Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: We've had GHS, We've had Steel Wheel Live, What's Next ?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 29, 2020 20:33

DandelionPowderman
It's what's not on the album that would make ER Deluxe a brilliant release. I reckon you're familiar with many of the very good outtakes from these sessions?

Oh, and it IS 40 years now smiling smiley

For the most part, the 1968-1976, they finished and released the songs they found worthy, but it's a complete different scenario with 1977-1980, there's a big number of great tracks, never finished, but mighty close. Emotional Rescue Deluxe could be surprise many people by being the best of the Deluxe lot.....save for live recordings.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:02

TumblinDice76
I think the biggest problem with an Emotional Rescue Special Edition is...Mick Jagger doesn't really like the album. He just said in an interview about She's So Cold that he never really cared for the song SSC or the album EO. Same with Black and Blue. Its hard to imagine a Special Edition of albums that didn't sell overly well and Jagger himself wouldn't be excited to work on. GHS on the other hand is a favorite of Mick's and Keith is rather fond of it as well. So while GHS is not up there with the big 4, it's highly regarded by Mick and Keith.

I don’t doubt the veracity of any of this, but GHS just went to No. 1 in Britain and they must be thinking they could do the same with other albums.
Maybe I’m just dreaming.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 21:28

ChrisL-I actually like EO as well, but then I also really like half of DW. Sometimes Jagger is very blunt. My spin on in came after reading his bluntness on She's So Cold which I have always liked and have never gotten to hear live (the one Chicago show I miss...) but always wanted. I hope they keep pumping these out and I will keep buying. The only release I haven't gotten is the Roundhouse show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2020 22:07

TumblinDice76
I think the biggest problem with an Emotional Rescue Special Edition is...Mick Jagger doesn't really like the album. He just said in an interview about She's So Cold that he never really cared for the song SSC or the album EO. Same with Black and Blue. Its hard to imagine a Special Edition of albums that didn't sell overly well and Jagger himself wouldn't be excited to work on. GHS on the other hand is a favorite of Mick's and Keith is rather fond of it as well. So while GHS is not up there with the big 4, it's highly regarded by Mick and Keith.

Its also not a highly regarded album by the band's fanbase. It did sell pretty well I think (it topped the UK charts - their last for 14 years) considering there was no tour behind it and no big hit single (like Some Girls and Tattoo You had)

At least GHS has the advantage of being from the 'Golden Era' even though its not as highly regarded as the albums that preceded it. There's nothing really 'iconic' about ER from a marketing perspective and with no live material to pad out an expanded release, its hard to imagine them putting one out.

A pity, because on simply musical terms alone there's potentially enough material there for that era to be reappraised favourably with a deluxe reissue

Date: September 29, 2020 22:31

I like it, too, TumblinDice76, but I’m from that era.
As for a live release, they could conceivably put one of the 1981 shows out with it, since they did Let Me Go and She’s So Cold on that tour. Or even LA in 2015 when they did Emotional Rescue live for the first time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:57

jbwelda
Re: Black and Blue?

>Well, for one, it was a panned album.

Panned album? So what? Someone "pans" every album they ever put out until they realize the genius and then all of a sudden its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Irrelevant, totally.

>Two, it was 40 years for ER this year.

Obviously you have a different way of looking at the calendar than they do.

Emotional Rescue? I think they are smart enough to realize what a dog of an album that was. Talk about your panned albums (and for good reason if you ask me). I think Muddy Waters said it best: its dogshit.

jb

As Gazza pointed out, if someone in the band doesn't think much of it... and Mick has stated that the amount of sales can dictate his liking of an album. So that's how it's relevant.

The 40 years is just absurdly obvious anniversary to take advantage of, as they've done with 2 of their last 3 hits comps.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:08

Gazza
A pity, because on simply musical terms alone there's potentially enough material there for that era to be reappraised favourably with a deluxe reissue

This material could end up on a Tattoo You deluxe box set...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:29

I get the distinct impression Mick Jagger will put out anything that someone convinces him will sell, regardless of what he may blab about it on any given day. What he "says" is often contradicted the very next day, and that has been a pattern since the early days. He admits it himself, that he plays roles day to day and that is part of it.

And at some point, it really is the record company in charge and if Mick don't want to participate, they will cook up something to put out. And it well might be better than the ego-fest that Mick generally conjures up.

>as they've done with 2 of their last 3 hits comps.

But we are not talking about compilations here, we are talking about reissuing old product with some incentives thrown in to get the suckers/seekers to buy it once again. and again. and again. Compilations are compiled for a whole different market, and that little trick about throwing two or three "new" tracks onto them is designed to coerce the hard core into buying what would essentially be redundant product to them. That's the heart of Stones merchandising: hard core capitalism, supply and demand, and self perpetuating markets.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-30 01:08 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:32

he plays roles day to day and that is part of it

Hhhaaaaa .... but we all do that jb .....
life's just a big stage play ,,,

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:38

Yeah but nobody writes down what we say and spreads it all over the world like its some gospel or something.

Wait, thats what we are doing on the inter webs!

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2020 00:42

Chicks love posing ..... but hey
i kinda love that latest crazy of
em' wearing exercise tights everywhere .. ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2020 01:39

Gazza

This material could end up on a Tattoo You deluxe box set...

You could be pedantic and argue that the bonus material on any of the recent deluxe box sets could just as easily (or more accurately, given the way they added outtakes from a different era to those albums - eg 'Scarlet') have belonged to a Tattoo You deluxe box set.

Posted by: RAnderson ()
Date: September 30, 2020 16:00

I’d really love a Zip Code it No Filter release. Give us a couple newer things to mix in with the classics.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 1, 2020 11:34

All future releases must have good mastering and mixing. The last releases are rather disappointing, some got worse than the available bootlegs (Miami 94). But assuming this, I would like to see the three shows in NY 69 released in full, the rest of LA 75 in full and El Mocambo 77 (both evenings).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-01 11:37 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: October 1, 2020 22:21

I'd like to have an official release of athe last show of the 1978 US Tour, Oakland, 26 of July.

Perhaps the best show of that tour.

Date: October 1, 2020 22:24

MidnightGambler
I'd like to have an official release of athe last show of the 1978 US Tour, Oakland, 26 of July.

Perhaps the best show of that tour.

Is this the concert where everyone tossed their shoes onto the stage?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 1, 2020 23:05

I agree
With a 78tour stadium show
They have a proshot-sbd new Orleans??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-01 23:06 by mariano.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 2, 2020 01:22

jbwelda
I get the distinct impression Mick Jagger will put out anything that someone convinces him will sell, regardless of what he may blab about it on any given day. What he "says" is often contradicted the very next day, and that has been a pattern since the early days. He admits it himself, that he plays roles day to day and that is part of it.
Mick was not referring to this type of release, he was referring to a possible new album, also he did not say that ... but he explained that if an album has a considerable commercial success, for him it is a good album, even if when released he wasn't thrilled.
I hope I have explained, English is not my mother tongue.

Stones future projects....
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 20:28

With the GHS and Atlantic City 1989 releases, how many more projects do the Stones still have in their possession? I count 4:

1. Love You Live Remaster and reissue. Here the Stones could release the entire El Macombo 1977 show as "El Macombo sides"
2. Black and Blue reissue. I know not a popular LP but could look good paired with the Paris 1976 TV concert.
3. Emotional Rescue reissue. Plenty of unsued tracks from Pathe Marconi 1977 as a 2nd disc
4. Tatoo You reissue. Plenty of unsued tracks from Pathe Marconi 1977 as a 2nd disc

Any others I may have left out?

Re: Stones future projects....
Date: October 2, 2020 20:31

Dirty Work remastered with 1970s production techniques.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 2, 2020 20:55

Four Flicks reissue is was I read

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 2, 2020 21:15

I think only one Paris 2017 gig had extra cameras.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 2, 2020 22:25

NilsHolgersson

Four Flicks was released end of 2003 - so still a few years until the 20th Anniversary.

But 2021 is the 30th Anniversary of 'Live at the Max' and Flashpoint. So maybe a 4K-version of 'Live at the Max' ?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 2, 2020 23:26

Irix
NilsHolgersson

Four Flicks was released end of 2003 - so still a few years until the 20th Anniversary.

But 2021 is the 30th Anniversary of 'Live at the Max' and Flashpoint. So maybe a 4K-version of 'Live at the Max' ?

I don't hope...I will skip such a release, although I like Atlantic '89.
More from Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle isn't neccessary, and there are two Tokyo '90 shows already.
Enough is enough...
And they didn't care much about the 'anniversary' thing in the past...

Date: October 3, 2020 00:10

shortfatfanny

They brought the BluRay of 'Live at the Max' for the 20th Anniversary. 'Totally Stripped', 'San Jose 1999', 'Bridges to Bremen/Buenos Aires' and 'Steel Wheels Live' have also been released ca. 20 & 30 years later.

[Blu-ray.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-03 00:35 by Irix.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2020 00:31

illyad1960
With the GHS and Atlantic City 1989 releases, how many more projects do the Stones still have in their possession? I count 4:

1. Love You Live Remaster and reissue. Here the Stones could release the entire El Macombo 1977 show as "El Macombo sides"
2. Black and Blue reissue. I know not a popular LP but could look good paired with the Paris 1976 TV concert.
3. Emotional Rescue reissue. Plenty of unsued tracks from Pathe Marconi 1977 as a 2nd disc
4. Tatoo You reissue. Plenty of unsued tracks from Pathe Marconi 1977 as a 2nd disc

Any others I may have left out?

Seeing that a majority of the tracks on TY are from the ER sessions wouldn't it be strange to just have 1977 tracks seeing that TY is from 1972-1979?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 3, 2020 03:35

Irix
shortfatfanny

They brought the BluRay of 'Live at the Max' for the 20th Anniversary. 'Totally Stripped', 'San Jose 1999', 'Bridges to Bremen/Buenos Aires' and 'Steel Wheels Live' have also been released ca. 20 & 30 years later.

True,but I was thinking of the re-release of studio albums in deluxe format...( Exile,SG,SF,GHS )

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 3, 2020 04:34

Yeah, I kind of feel like this thread is 2 questions merged into 1. It should be: 1) Which studio album will be next to get the Deluxe treatment? 2) What will the next live release be? Their kind of running out of non Abko releases to do. The remaining options are: IORR, BAB, ER, TY, Undercover, DW, SW,VL, BTB, and ABB. Plenty of live options though! Gotta feel like Paris '76 is getting close.

Date: October 3, 2020 09:55

shortfatfanny

I was thinking of the re-release of studio albums in deluxe format...

Super-Premium-Deluxe of 'Dirty Work' then in 2033 .... winking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 3, 2020 10:55

Tattoo You reissue

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home