Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15
Re: Keith Richards Hollywood Palladium
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 8, 2020 03:20

DandelionPowderman
jbwelda
yeah I thought it was pretty weak myself, just didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

I didn't really hear anything crucial on the old release to be honest, but it was a decent listen. Don't particularly like Steve Jordan's drumming style, nor Waddy Wactell's guitar either. But it is what it is and apparently Keef likes playing with them.

Ziggy Modeleste on drums would be preferred. And Stanley Clarke on bass.

jb

Zigaboo and Clarke are both fantastic, but with the Barbarians they were just about the most untight rhythm section I've ever heard smiling smiley

Well, being "fantastic" - it don't mean a thing if they ain't got that swing (count Darryl in here, too...)!

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 8, 2020 11:04

Maindefender
Just ordered the cool looking X-pensive winos maroon tee shirt of Keith's site. Some sold out sizes, I would imagine a few IORR's have also ordered...>grinning smiley<

That shirt has been available to buy for a while now. It was available a few months back anyway. Hence the sold out items probably.

Date: October 8, 2020 12:20

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
jbwelda
yeah I thought it was pretty weak myself, just didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

I didn't really hear anything crucial on the old release to be honest, but it was a decent listen. Don't particularly like Steve Jordan's drumming style, nor Waddy Wactell's guitar either. But it is what it is and apparently Keef likes playing with them.

jb

Zigaboo and Clarke are both fantastic, but with the Barbarians they were just about the most untight rhythm section I've ever heard smiling smiley

Well, being "fantastic" - it don't mean a thing if they ain't got that swing (count Darryl in here, too...)!

The Meters did have 'that swing' smiling smiley

Date: October 8, 2020 17:05

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
jbwelda

jb

Absolutely, yes, but what I meant is that sometimes the sum is lesser than its parts - putting individually "fantastic" musicians together in a group does not always work.

Whereas in the Stones, the sum was always greater than its parts imo - and that's part of their magic...

Date: October 8, 2020 17:29

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
jbwelda

jb

Absolutely, yes, but what I meant is that sometimes the sum is lesser than its parts - putting individually "fantastic" musicians together in a group does not always work.

Whereas in the Stones, the sum was always greater than its parts imo - and that's part of their magic...

Well-said.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 8, 2020 17:37

Okay, so you all think Keith's band here is great then? You like the loud, boom-boom, drums and the wandering bass. And all the quite primitive arrangements?
Well, good for you then. Personally, I can enjoy the odd number here and then but I can't stand watching the whole gig.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 8, 2020 18:26

Stoneage
Okay, so you all think Keith's band here is great then? You like the loud, boom-boom, drums and the wandering bass. And all the quite primitive arrangements?
Well, good for you then. Personally, I can enjoy the odd number here and then but I can't stand watching the whole gig.

I think for this release I prefer the visual over the audio. That T&A is just like you state, loud and boom boom. Glad have the Mistral boot

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 8, 2020 18:45

My God you guys rip and disect everything to pieces, not even this show gets a pass, you just anorak and trainspot the life out of everything, as Nils Lofgren recently said, Keith's guitar seems to write the songs, something so evident with the Winos, and something sadly missed in the Stones of late with Jaggeds Stones by numbers insistence . This Palladium show along with all Keith's solo shows is Raw and it moves you, it's From the neck down, it's not perfect, go @#$%& yourselves if you want perfect, this isn't the band for you, stick with the Eagles or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-08 18:48 by stone4ever.

Date: October 8, 2020 18:51

What did your unedited post say...>grinning smiley<. (just kidding)

Date: October 8, 2020 18:58

Maindefender
What did your unedited post say...>grinning smiley<. (just kidding)

Said tuck instead of @#$%& winking smiley, it's not pointed at you mate , it's the other old relic Stoneage, dude needs to stick with She's The Boss and stay away from the men's stuff spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 8, 2020 19:54

stone4ever
My God you guys rip and disect everything to pieces, not even this show gets a pass, you just anorak and trainspot the life out of everything, as Nils Lofgren recently said, Keith's guitar seems to write the songs, something so evident with the Winos, and something sadly missed in the Stones of late with Jaggeds Stones by numbers insistence . This Palladium show along with all Keith's solo shows is Raw and it moves you, it's From the neck down, it's not perfect, go @#$%& yourselves if you want perfect, this isn't the band for you, stick with the Eagles or something.

Keith's main defender at work, comparing apples with oranges as The Palladium show and "Stones of late" are divided by app. 30 years.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2020 20:12

Keith had lots of energy in the late 80s, but the Winos, especially in 1988, aren't swinging, rolling or even walking, they're stomping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-08 20:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 8, 2020 22:37

Stoneage
Glad have the Mistral boot

i second that

Date: October 9, 2020 00:48

retired_dog
stone4ever

Keith's main defender at work, comparing apples with oranges as The Palladium show and "Stones of late" are divided by app. 30 years.

Well yes, you have a good pint there, Keith can't be compared today to Keith in the 80s, he's long past his sell by date, although She's The Boss and the Palladium show are 4 years apart and show the intentions of the Glimmer Twins, a mile apart. While Micks looking over his shoulder to see what Bowie and Michael Jackson are doing, Keith's just doing what he does best and blasting it out with those distinctive intros and riffs, I'm sure even you miss that today Retired-dog
The thing to remember was the Winos were not Keith's choice, he wanted to work with Mick, i don't see why Stones fans are so critical of Keith's first solo album and tour, what else could he do.

Date: October 9, 2020 04:20

stone4ever
retired_dog
stone4ever

Well yes, you have a good pint there, Keith can't be compared today to Keith in the 80s, he's long past his sell by date, although She's The Boss and the Palladium show are 4 years apart and show the intentions of the Glimmer Twins, a mile apart. While Micks looking over his shoulder to see what Bowie and Michael Jackson are doing, Keith's just doing what he does best and blasting it out with those distinctive intros and riffs, I'm sure even you miss that today Retired-dog
The thing to remember was the Winos were not Keith's choice, he wanted to work with Mick, i don't see why Stones fans are so critical of Keith's first solo album and tour, what else could he do.

My take is that by Undercover, it became more and more apparent that creatively, the Stones were more or less a spent force. Judging by the tons of imo subpar UC outtakes that appeared in recent years, one could only imagine that they must have had a hard time to get this album together, not to even mention Dirty Work where things got even worse.

So I can understand that Jagger tried to do something different, leaving the well-trodden path. While Mick tried to reach a new audience, Keith chose to please the traditional Stones fan base. Nothing wrong with either of them, the're both artists and as such free to do whatever they want. The only thing I regret is that with the best Stones-compatible material from their solo albums, we could have had at least one, if not two great Stones albums and some stuff that probably would even appear in Stones live shows until now.

But as it stands, we got just four Stones studio albums of original material since Dirty Work, that's four in nearly 35 years. I think that's telling enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 04:23 by retired_dog.

Date: October 9, 2020 15:29

retired_dog
stone4ever
retired_dog
stone4ever

My take is that by Undercover, it became more and more apparent that creatively, the Stones were more or less a spent force. Judging by the tons of imo subpar UC outtakes that appeared in recent years, one could only imagine that they must have had a hard time to get this album together, not to even mention Dirty Work where things got even worse.

So I can understand that Jagger tried to do something different, leaving the well-trodden path. While Mick tried to reach a new audience, Keith chose to please the traditional Stones fan base. Nothing wrong with either of them, the're both artists and as such free to do whatever they want. The only thing I regret is that with the best Stones-compatible material from their solo albums, we could have had at least one, if not two great Stones albums and some stuff that probably would even appear in Stones live shows until now.

But as it stands, we got just four Stones studio albums of original material since Dirty Work, that's four in nearly 35 years. I think that's telling enough.

4 studio albums in 35 years, very telling, and the time it's taken to make this last awaited album tells us categorically they can't work together.
The flip side of saying that we might have had at least 2 good Stones albums from their solo albums is that we could have missed out completely, for instance it's very possible we could have received at least 2 good solo albums from Mick and Keith in the time it's taking to make this latest Stones album. Time really isn't on their side and they are wasting what little time they have left creatively. Hopefully during lockdown the boys have been preparing some solo tracks, as far as the Stones album is concerned they need to give it up and just release the half dozen tracks they have, just knock them out as singles or something, to be honest this new album is taking so long they need to kill the lie that is Mick and Keith, they are completely cancelling themselves out, both are capable of better apart at this stage as the few Mick orientated Stones efforts and CH serve to prove.

Date: October 10, 2020 18:14

stone4ever
retired_dog
stone4ever
retired_dog
stone4ever

4 studio albums in 35 years, very telling, and the time it's taken to make this last awaited album tells us categorically they can't work together.
The flip side of saying that we might have had at least 2 good Stones albums from their solo albums is that we could have missed out completely, for instance it's very possible we could have received at least 2 good solo albums from Mick and Keith in the time it's taking to make this latest Stones album. Time really isn't on their side and they are wasting what little time they have left creatively. Hopefully during lockdown the boys have been preparing some solo tracks, as far as the Stones album is concerned they need to give it up and just release the half dozen tracks they have, just knock them out as singles or something, to be honest this new album is taking so long they need to kill the lie that is Mick and Keith, they are completely cancelling themselves out, both are capable of better apart at this stage as the few Mick orientated Stones efforts and CH serve to prove.

I see what you mean. I also think that in creative terms, being the Rolling Stones has increasingly turned into a burden over the years. With such a rich back catalog, it gets more and more difficult to add anything of real substance that would not be dismissed as catalog filler, nothing new, just "more of the same, but not as good".

I think both Mick and Keith are trying to avoid this by setting the bar maybe a bit too high, resulting in a considerable lack of new original material in recent years (in fact: decades). In that regard, "Blue And Lonesome" was a successful attempt to escape this "block".

As I have mentioned before here on this board, I could live with "Out Of Our Heads" - style of albums, consisting of a handful of new songs, bolstered out with decent covers from their Rock'n'Roll, R & B, Soul, Blues, Country & Reggae universe - "Old, New, Borrowed & Blue"! Just imagine "A Bigger Bang" with studio versions of "I'll Go Crazy" and their 1970 arrangement of "Roll Over Beethoven" instead of "Sweet NeoCon" and "Infamy" for example - it could have resulted in a considerably more listenable and overall enjoyable album.

However, for solo albums as an escape that the creative burden that being the Rolling Stones obviously is for them I think it's too late. They're simply too old by now to change their game again and the market situation does not justify such a move - too much effort for too little returns. Keith did "Crosseyed Heart" mainly for the glory, but you can't repeat such a move endlessly. Mick gave up after "SuperHeavy" already.

Concerning new original material, I've often said already that their 60th Anniversary is the date to look forward to. As it looks now, it will be that way.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-10 18:28 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2020 21:43

retired_dog
...as it stands, we got just four Stones studio albums of original material since Dirty Work, that's four in nearly 35 years. I think that's telling enough.

That is crazy, yet it's the new normal, with 1982-89 being the beginning with just the tours. Very long tours. Too many shows maybe. And from 1989 onward lightyears between albums and tours except from VL to BTB.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 20, 2020 13:01

Mojo magazine - December 2020

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2020 13:12

Lovely stuff Keef .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 20, 2020 13:15

On Sunday There Are No Mornings-GREAT album title that!!!!grinning smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 20, 2020 13:27

Yeah!! I´ll be there, Keith!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 20, 2020 14:32

WHAT HAPPENED WITH BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN?
Always the same: somehow either incomplete or with bad sound...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 21, 2020 04:18

TooTough

Yeah!! I´ll be there, Keith!

grinning smiley

Date: October 26, 2020 21:14

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is now available, sounds fantastic..thumbs up

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 26, 2020 22:46

Maindefender
ok, and where ?

Date: October 26, 2020 23:04

Dorn
Maindefender
ok, and where ?

I saw it on iTunes

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 27, 2020 22:53

New Hate it when you leave T-shirt on the Keith site:

[store.keithrichards.com]

Posted by: rollman ()
Date: October 28, 2020 05:17

I saw The New Barbarians in Denver, '78 and was blown away.
I saw Keith Richards and the X-Pensive Winos in Chicago, '88, again blown away.
I have the Mistral boot, which is great. Connection from the official release
isn't on it and was added from another show. Before They Make Me Run IS on it.
That one isn't part of the re-release is it?

Date: November 9, 2020 19:03

Maindefender
Dorn
Maindefender
ok, and where ?

I saw it on iTunes

You Don't Move Me also landed on iTunes. All the bonus tracks are out..thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1306
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home