Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2 Shows-concept schedules in the early 70´s
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 23, 2020 06:38

As a huge fan of Stones archaeology , reading all kinds of concert reports ,
but born in 1976 I always wondered how the Stones managed to play that many double dates, specially from the 69 tour onwards, look at the schedules of 1972, 1973...

From 1969, the shows were not the 25-35 minutes quickie anymore, of course not like the post-"Vegas"-shows of more than 2 hours, but - looking at the setlists - definitely an energy-sapping and exhausting run!

It´s quite amazing to me imagining Keith, really going thru a hard time health wise playing the whole dramaturgy of a Stones show TWICE a day, and - in these days- VERY FEW OFF DAYS!

Would some of you who saw them in the Seventies please report about that? Maybe some of you die-hards been to 2 shows a day every now and then?

I´d find it really exciting to read about that!!!

Re: 2 Shows-concept schedules in the early 70´s
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 23, 2020 06:50

At the Oakland show in 69, shows actually, they never effectively cleared the crowd after the early show (running hours late due to equipment problems along with the typical general tardiness), so those from the early show who wanted to, stayed around for the second show and seat surfed. Presumably many of the late show ticket buyers gave up and went home before they were allowed in because even with the two crowds together it was only lightly packed except up front. If I remember right, the second show started about 2 or 3am with an advertised start time of 10pm. The sun was coming up as we left the place afterward. And I had to be at work at 8am, thats why I had bought an early show ticket.

jb

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 23, 2020 10:23

There were some reasons for the double-show concept:

- They were much younger back then and had lots more energy. For insstance, Mick Jagger sang quite 'natural' without much effort up until 1973. Only on the last number Street fighting man he pushed to the limit.
- There were some ballads in the setlist (eg. Love in Vain, Prodigal son, Angie).
- The setlists were rather stale so after two or three concerts they were used to it.
- Generally the shows lasted for 75 minutes so all in all they performed for two and a half hours. This is not too much for a bunch of young guys, and it is not longer than a normal show during the last years when they were over 70(!).
- As for drugs and alcohol you do wonder how artists managed to remember the chords and the lyrics. But even a heavy alcoholic like Eric Clapton gave great concerts while drinking huge amounts of alcohol (as you can read in his autobiography. Playing guitar is one thing but at reading his book I Always wondered that he did not confuse or Forget the lyrics and that his voice was in pretty good shape (contrary to Jagger on the 1975 US tour).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 23, 2020 13:35

jbwelda
At the Oakland show in 69, shows actually, they never effectively cleared the crowd after the early show (running hours late due to equipment problems along with the typical general tardiness), so those from the early show who wanted to, stayed around for the second show and seat surfed. Presumably many of the late show ticket buyers gave up and went home before they were allowed in because even with the two crowds together it was only lightly packed except up front. If I remember right, the second show started about 2 or 3am with an advertised start time of 10pm. The sun was coming up as we left the place afterward. And I had to be at work at 8am, thats why I had bought an early show ticket.

jb
Pretty wild memory of a Frank Zappa 2 shows in one night . We had tickets for the early show @7pm . Then security ( boo ) started chasing everybody out to get the second show attendee's in . So we went and hid out in the bathrooms and then we had to wonder around for the second show which we did see which was a 2 for 1 special that night . I think tickets were under $10 bucks and it was a great price to pay to watch Frank Zappa . I remember him sitting back on that tall stool like chair with the padded back and rocking out , he sure could play a guitar !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2020 14:06

This is an issue also occured to my mind as listening BRUSSELS AFFAIR a lot lately again. Yeah, we have now a kind good representation of both shows of the day thanks to the official version of the famous bootleg. I think as a concert act that day back then in Brussels was the busiest and most energy-consuming day in their life. Taken how damn well they play in both concerts - so focused and full of energy, sounding like to me giving in both all they got - it is just.. how can I describe it.. mind-blowing.

One could say that of playing altogether about two and half hours and 30 songs is not that physically over-exhausting since they have done that since then 'as older' (and many musicians do that every damn day...), but I think that view doesn't quite give justice for the physical and mental energy playing an individual show asks for. A Stones show already then weas a kind of drama consisting of different phases. I mean, you start like fresh, with a right concentration and focus - not just continuing from once you stop but starting it all over from the scratch again - start with a dramatic bomb, reflect the audience, build up the tension and atmosphere, highs and lows, ending up with a high-energetic flow... It is not jamming or playing through emotions, but making about every tune like a show highlight one gives maximal effort - since that what the Stones sounded like back then. They were so bloody tight and concentrated - and most of the songs were arrangewise compact pieces, with not much room for never-ending extended, loose-jamming versions yet (even though they, especially Taylor, were able to do incredible things within those tight formal conditions). Surely the routine helped, for example, by the time of Brussels shows, so they were in a kind of autopilot by being so familiar with the set. But still...

I especially wonder how Jagger as the ring-master was able to do all that twice a day. Listening BRUSSELLS AFFAIR he really doesn't give himself easy-time - he really hadn't that kind of trained professionalism yet - but seems to give all he has for about each song. Even with the slower songs - such as "Angie" and "Can't Always Get" - he sounds like really putting focus and effort to his vocals, not faking anything. And singing incredibly well (like Richards decades later mentioned when judging the bootleg). And this is just what we hear - not see him performing. Listening to the hottest version of "Street Fighting Man" ever alone makes one wonder how on earth he could start it all again in just a few hours...

Altogether, I think in that very day - 17th of October, 1973 - The Rolling Stones truely were the greatest rock and roll band in the world, setting the record so high that it is impossible to reach for anyone ever, even for themselves again (even though we probably could say this of some other, not so-well documented two-set days during European Tour as well, but you get the point).

Of those 'explanations' saltoftheearth above mentioned, I think the first one - they were much younger back then and had lots more energy - is the best one I can think of. Add there a suitable consumption of dope....

- Doxa

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 14:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 23, 2020 14:31

This is something I've been thinking about too since finding out about the two shows a day-schedule some 20 years ago. How on earth could ya start a show in the afternoon and then doing it all over again a couple of hours later and sounding so good? You can't just wake up at around 11 am and perform like that in 4-5 hours and then doing it again with those results, building all that excitement.

Keith for example, starting out with the casual drink at 2.30pm? Just having a small brunch (as early as possible as he mentions not to digest so soon before a show as he wrote in LIFE) and then a big line and here we go? Would they then take a nap between the shows? With all that adrenaline pumping? Maybe for Charlie, Bill and Mick T it wasn't such a big deal but for Mick Jagger and Keith? It is truly astonishing!

I would love to read more about this and how they would cope.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: September 23, 2020 15:32

The two shows at Louisiana State University on 1st June 1975 will be the longest in a single day.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2020 16:06

Valeswood
The two shows at Louisiana State University on 1st June 1975 will be the longest in a single day.

That's true - and I need to say, I have totally forgotten that one - that's the opening day for the tour. Damn, 45 songs performed that day altogether, having about 8 new songs and a new guitarist (and some other dudes). That probably is something like four hours on stage...

What was the deal back then? I mean they performed at Dunkirk Hall of Louisiana State University. That sounds like a rather low profile affair. Was that a kind of warm up gig for them still? To rehearse the new set in action, etc. They did not do any two-gig dates after that one.

Now can't recall any bootleg of those gigs. Do they exist?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 16:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 16:25

Doxa
Valeswood

That's true - and I need to say, I have totally forgotten that one - that's the opening day for the tour. Damn, 45 songs performed that day altogether, having about 8 new songs and a new guitarist (and some other dudes). That probably is something like four hours on stage...

What was the deal back then? I mean they performed at Dunkirk Hall of Louisiana State University. That sounds like a rather low profile affair. Was that a kind of warm up gig for them still? To rehearse the new set in action, etc. They did not do any two-gig dates after that one.

Now can't recall any bootleg of those gigs. Do they exist?

- Doxa

They did two-gigs dates after that in Munster and Cologne 1976 and in Oshawa 1979. I think that were the last ones.

Date: September 23, 2020 19:06

Doxa
This is an issue also occured to my mind as listening BRUSSELS AFFAIR a lot lately again. Yeah, we have now a kind good representation of both shows of the day thanks to the official version of the famous bootleg. I think as a concert act that day back then in Brussels was the busiest and most energy-consuming day in their life. Taken how damn well they play in both concerts - so focused and full of energy, sounding like to me giving in both all they got - it is just.. how can I describe it.. mind-blowing.

One could say that of playing altogether about two and half hours and 30 songs is not that physically over-exhausting since they have done that since then 'as older' (and many musicians do that every damn day...), but I think that view doesn't quite give justice for the physical and mental energy playing an individual show asks for. A Stones show already then weas a kind of drama consisting of different phases. I mean, you start like fresh, with a right concentration and focus - not just continuing from once you stop but starting it all over from the scratch again - start with a dramatic bomb, reflect the audience, build up the tension and atmosphere, highs and lows, ending up with a high-energetic flow... It is not jamming or playing through emotions, but making about every tune like a show highlight one gives maximal effort - since that what the Stones sounded like back then. They were so bloody tight and concentrated - and most of the songs were arrangewise compact pieces, with not much room for never-ending extended, loose-jamming versions yet (even though they, especially Taylor, were able to do incredible things within those tight formal conditions). Surely the routine helped, for example, by the time of Brussels shows, so they were in a kind of autopilot by being so familiar with the set. But still...

I especially wonder how Jagger as the ring-master was able to do all that twice a day. Listening BRUSSELLS AFFAIR he really doesn't give himself easy-time - he really hadn't that kind of trained professionalism yet - but seems to give all he has for about each song. Even with the slower songs - such as "Angie" and "Can't Always Get" - he sounds like really putting focus and effort to his vocals, not faking anything. And singing incredibly well (like Richards decades later mentioned when judging the bootleg). And this is just what we hear - not see him performing. Listening to the hottest version of "Street Fighting Man" ever alone makes one wonder how on earth he could start it all again in just a few hours...

Altogether, I think in that very day - 17th of October, 1973 - The Rolling Stones truely were the greatest rock and roll band in the world, setting the record so high that it is impossible to reach for anyone ever, even for themselves again (even though we probably could say this of some other, not so-well documented two-set days during European Tour as well, but you get the point).

Of those 'explanations' saltoftheearth above mentioned, I think the first one - they were much younger back then and had lots more energy - is the best one I can think of. Add there a suitable consumption of dope....

- Doxa
Outstanding Post !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:48

saltoftheearth
There were some reasons for the double-show concept:

- They were much younger back then and had lots more energy. For insstance, Mick Jagger sang quite 'natural' without much effort up until 1973. Only on the last number Street fighting man he pushed to the limit.
- There were some ballads in the setlist (eg. Love in Vain, Prodigal son, Angie).
- The setlists were rather stale so after two or three concerts they were used to it.
- Generally the shows lasted for 75 minutes so all in all they performed for two and a half hours. This is not too much for a bunch of young guys, and it is not longer than a normal show during the last years when they were over 70(!).
- As for drugs and alcohol you do wonder how artists managed to remember the chords and the lyrics. But even a heavy alcoholic like Eric Clapton gave great concerts while drinking huge amounts of alcohol (as you can read in his autobiography. Playing guitar is one thing but at reading his book I Always wondered that he did not confuse or Forget the lyrics and that his voice was in pretty good shape (contrary to Jagger on the 1975 US tour).

Not sure if you meant "stable" or "stale" confused smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:30

One word: cocaine

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 23:42

The 2 shows-concept was already very common in the sixties. They were so used to do it that way, that even after the "facelift" (Mick Taylor instead of Brian Jones) they "simply" continued to do that. My guess is that some clever quy (promotor) came up with a better concept, just one concert and many more fans per concert, make the shows a bit longer, and so on. And then adjustment to age became the next thing, eventually arriving at 14-15 shows per mini tour. Very practical.
During the 72-73 tours more and more uppers made it all look easy, but in fact it was a torture. Amazing how they managed to find yet another approach and another approach to take us fans all the way into 2019!
See what happens in 2022 cool smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 24, 2020 00:23

For many artists in the music business in the 60’s, even up to the early 70’s, there was nothing special or unusual about two shows per day. Those package shows, both Fillmores East and West etc...look at the ads, posters and flyers from those times. It almost looks like the standard of the day. And the duration of the show, even the top bill, was invariably shorter back then. If the bill topper played over an hour, that was often called a ‘long show’.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 24, 2020 02:55

I was twelve in 1969. My mom and my friend's mom planned to take me and my brothers and our friends to see the Stones in Philadelphia at the Spectrum.
We originally had tickets for a 4:00 pm matinee show which was cancelled just a few days before the show.
On the day of the show, we were dejected.

A Happy Ending, After All!
The night of the concert, our much older cousin had gone down to the Spectrum, hoping to buy a ticket. A few hours before the show, we got a call from him outside the Spectrum. He had found this guy with dozens of tickets to that night's show. He even got the ticket guy to talk to us on the phone. Ticket Guy tells us that he is sympathetic to the plight of people who had purchased tickets to the cancelled show, and he is willing to swap tickets from the cancelled afternoon show for tickets to the sold out evening show. He'd redeem the cancelled tickets later at the box office for face value, he explained. He promised to save eight tickets for us. Imagine this nowadays.

We piled frantically into the car, and drove to the Spectrum, 45 minutes away. We were going to see the Rolling Stones after all! Our entourage was comprised of the two moms plus six boys, ranging in age from ten to sixteen.

We found our cousin, who introduced us to the generous Ticket Guy. He was surrounded by many people, all eagerly buying tickets. Not surprisingly, he had raised his price a bit since we had spoken to him. He was now asking for $10 for the tickets. Imagine that. For us, however, Ticket Guy kept his word, exchanging the tickets at face value: just $7.50.

Imagine any of this nowadays!

I remember thinking at the time, that we must be an odd looking group... We probably looked like a lot of people you'd see at a Stones concert nowadays.

Date: September 24, 2020 04:04

You nailed it, DOXA!!! Gives me goose-bumps to read your words.

Doxa

- Doxa

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 24, 2020 06:05

These guys were professionals. Shows in the seventies were a piece of cake after surviving the shows of the early and mid sixties. Most were a riot as we all know, with dangerous projectiles being thrown, police wanting to arrest them and fans trying to kill them. Even though the shows were short, they were still very draining I would think. Playing before a seventies crowd was much much different, and way more laid back in the main. Jagger wasn't running all around like a clown trying to avoid singing, he actually knew most of the lyrics and was more or less singing instead of shouting. So its not like it was a super hysterical performance. Way more concentration on playing the music unlike previous times (and, ironically, later times as well).

And as mentioned, two shows a day was almost the preferred format in the sixties. Whether it favored the promotor or the performer, it was done often. They were pop stars and thats how pop stars toured in those days.

jb

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 24, 2020 09:51

What amazes me most is that Mick never lost his voice in those days despite his singing to the limits. I'm a singer in a band myself and never had any singing education. Mick Jagger didn't have any singing education either until the grand tours starting with Steel Wheels.
I know what it means being on stage and singing for hours. That is why I absolutely appreciate Mick's ability to get through those tough times without shows being cancelled due to a possible voice loss or sour throat, which he had suffered from during latet tours.

Date: September 24, 2020 10:05

See what happens in 2022 cool smiley[/quote]

Interesting you mention that...makes me realize that - if the boys only manage to keep on trucking 40 ridiculous years - The Rolling Stones will be able to celebrate their 100th birthday as a band!!!
smileys with beer

Date: September 24, 2020 13:37

mosthigh
One word: cocaine
That was the fuel or the Gatorade of the 70's.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 24, 2020 16:50

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 24, 2020 22:38

Not surprising if ya got me Honky Tonk rockin'! Doing the laundry, the missus is missing but I am Mad 4 It!

Probably will doing a lot of catching up tomorrow but now it's GHS bonus disc, Stones in BA 1998 Ronnie lookin' for the right gal and waiting on a Atlantic City 1989 Super Deluxe scheduled for delivery in the morning! I get ya all you lot digging LIB! Mono mmm smells like caviar....

Ya'all have a brilliant night and don't be to rough on me, I'm just a poor boy doing the laundry and singin' for a rock n roll band.

Just laid a bet on a Telecaster from 1966 who I choosed to be painted in olympic white. MMmm for those 1998 moments......smileys with beer

Anyway not surprising they are doing it twice back in the autumn of 1973 if they just stick to Whiskey slammers (as showed in the press conference in, what I believe München) and the Merck stuff. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-24 22:40 by MadMax.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 25, 2020 00:23

It came out of the jazz/nightclubs where acts routinely did two or more shows a night.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:00

On the1972 tour they did two shows on July 25 1972,and the second show that night was one of the 10 best shows the band ever did.So I guess they weren’t tired

Posted by: winos ()
Date: September 25, 2020 03:41

In Melbourne in February 1973 in searing heat the Stones played 3 shows in 2 days. Apparently the doctor advised Jagger not to perform again on the Saturday night but he did.....

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2020 03:53

YEAH .... and the Saturday night show was amazing ...

Esp Midnight Rambler Mick on all fours whipping the stage...

"Oh Babeeee you shouldn't do that ...."..... SLAM !!!!!!
Keith caught in the spotlights bad teeth the shade of green ....

Three shows in two days .... Body buzzed for weeks ...AMAZING

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: September 25, 2020 06:23

schillid
I was twelve in 1969. My mom and my friend's mom planned to take me and my brothers and our friends to see the Stones in Philadelphia at the Spectrum.
We originally had tickets for a 4:00 pm matinee show which was cancelled just a few days before the show.

The night of the concert, our much older cousin had gone down to the Spectrum, hoping to buy a ticket. A few hours before the show, we got a call from him outside the Spectrum. He had found this guy with dozens of tickets to that night's show. He even got the ticket guy to talk to us on the phone. Ticket Guy tells us that he is sympathetic to the plight of people who had purchased tickets to the cancelled show, and he is willing to swap tickets from the cancelled afternoon show for tickets to the sold out evening show. He'd redeem the cancelled tickets later at the box office for face value, he explained. He promised to save eight tickets for us. Imagine this nowadays.

We piled frantically into the car, and drove to the Spectrum, 45 minutes away. We were going to see the Rolling Stones after all! Our entourage was comprised of the two moms plus six boys, ranging in age from ten to sixteen.

We found our cousin, who introduced us to the generous Ticket Guy. He was surrounded by many people, all eagerly buying tickets. Not surprisingly, he had raised his price a bit since we had spoken to him. He was now asking for $10 for the tickets. Imagine that. For us, however, Ticket Guy kept his word, exchanging the tickets at face value: just $7.50.

I remember thinking at the time, that we must be an odd looking group... We probably looked like a lot of people you'd see at a Stones concert nowadays.

What a wonderful read that was. Thank you for posting. Just harkens back to a wondrous period of time that is now gone forever.

Date: September 29, 2020 06:06

Anyway, I try to imagine those days in the mid 70s with 2 shows - I know they were in their early 30s and the drugs did work for some of them these days...

...but still it is an exhausting schedule!

Even LISTENING to 2 Stones shows (by the likes of 1972, 1973 or 1976)
in a row is a roller coaster.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: October 4, 2020 16:01

Wow! Some really interesting posts... 10 dollars and 2 shows. Please can someone invent a time machine. Would like to be there

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 4, 2020 17:13

Mr. Jimi
schillid

What a wonderful read that was. Thank you for posting. Just harkens back to a wondrous period of time that is now gone forever.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home