Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: RollingStone Magazine (500 Best Albums Of All Time)
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:20

I love Joni Mitchell, but can't for the life of me understand why Blue is the album that's always been held in such high regard, her uncontested and unquestioned masterpiece. I much prefer the 1972 followup LP, For the Roses, which didn't even make the Top 500.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 22:20 by tatters.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:21

What kind of psychopath does these lists in reverse order.

And the list itself? To quote a famous, fabulous lady... “I dissent.’

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:34

In 1970, nobody would have predicted that a Beach Boys album would rank higher than all Beatles, Stones, and Dylan albums in a 2020 Rolling Stone list. Not even Mike Love.
(And Mike Love wouldn’t have picked Pet Sounds as their top album.)

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:49

I'm sorry, but I saw Boyz 2 Men on the first page, and lost all interest in this list.

I own thousands of records and they are all better than whatever that is.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 23, 2020 23:14

Political correctness vs reason. Lauryn Hill is 10 when Revover is 11 and Blood on the Tracks 9? Irrelevant choice.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2020 23:27

Big Al
What does everyone think of this list, generally?

Creedence Clearwater Revival, 'Cosmo's Factory' on place 413 that tells a lot......and they included the greatest hits or compilations that makes no sense to me

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2020 00:00

These lists are always silly, and the only interest I have is how well the Stones have fared against the Beatles simply out of curiosity.
Unfortunately for the Stones, they always end up behind. Whether it's polls made by fans, musicians, critics, or whoever, it's Beatles for the win.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 24, 2020 01:14

KillRill
Political correctness vs reason.

The same goes for the Time 100 most influential people of 2020..
[time.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 24, 2020 01:27

I noticed The Who didn't fare too well. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Quadrophenia anywhere on the list at all.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 24, 2020 02:50

I skimmed through all 500. What idiots put this list together?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2020 02:56

remember the old days of these greatest album lists...

UK mags would have Sgt Pepper at No1
US mags would have Jacko's Thriller at No1 ...... what a laugh

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 24, 2020 14:56

Bob Dylan’s New Morning make the list??

That record is the bomb. I can play that thing all day long and never get tired of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-24 14:56 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: September 24, 2020 15:16

Maybe they should try to pick the best 50 from each decade? And let people from that decade rank them?...

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: September 24, 2020 15:40

I see a lot of comments that this list is silly, or don't understand why some rap album makes the top 10, etc.

Although I don't like rap and hiphop at all, I can understand why albums from this genre make the list. Some of these artists are hugely influential. You may or may not like it, but in its own genre the albums from Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Beyonce, etc are probably groundbreaking. I mean, the list is not called the Rolling Stone greatest ROCK albums of all time, right?

That said, some choices are highly debatable. I think the blues genre is highly under-represented. And why only British and American artists? But overall, I can understand most choices and think it's a good starting point to discover 'new' music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 24, 2020 15:42

matxil
Big Al
matxil
JordyLicks96
In the updated '500 Best Albums Of All Time' list these are where the Stones albums were placed:

SOME GIRLS (468)
AFTERMATH (330)
BEGGARS BANQUET (185)
STICKY FINGERS (104)
LET IT BLEED (41)
EXILE ON MAIN STREET (14)

[www.rollingstone.com]

No Tattoo You ??

When there's thousands of albums to consider, I guess something's gotta give! I love Tattoo You, but i'm totally unsurprised bu it's omission.

Yes, but I would rate TATTOO YOU higher than SOME GIRLS, AFTERMATH and STICKY FINGERS.

If I would rate the top 7, it would be from best to slightly less great:
1) EXILE
2) LET IT BLEED
3) BEGGAR'S BANQUET
4) TATTOO YOU
5) STICKY FINGERS
6) AFTERMATH
7) SOME GIRLS

Love Tattoo You and willing to give you some wiggle room, but as far as higher than Sticky Fingers...that is a bridge too far.

Date: September 24, 2020 15:44

ShaTurd
Maybe they should try to pick the best 50 from each decade? And let people from that decade rank them?...

that's an excellent idea.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 24, 2020 20:35

"Are You Experienced?" is #30....and the Beach Boys are #2.

yeah....OK. Try again.

Any list that doesn't have Hendrix in the Top 5...is garbage.

Full stop.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 25, 2020 00:08

As soon as I saw John Mayer (486) and ahead of The Stooges (488), the list lost all credibility to me. I think they just tossed a bunch of albums in a pile and randomly picked out the first (or last) 450 or so.

In 1987 RS put out a 'Top 100 Albums of the Last 20 Years' issue, and I found that list much more comprehensive - the creed being they were rated by influence on music and culture in general. it definitely raised my (then teenage) awareness of what was what - and why. Sure, a lot more music has been released since, but if I were a neophyte looking for a jumping off point, this current list would befuddle me (more than it already does).

Date: September 25, 2020 02:17

This going to sound very obviously biased, but you could probably take the entire Beatles catalogue, and half the Stones catalogue, and put them on the list in lieu of some of the entries they currently have, and have a significantly stronger list.

...and I only say half the Stones catalogue for some very obvious reasons!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:27

Top ten albums Exile/Sticky/Beggars/Bleed/White Album/Abbey Road/Help/ Hard DaysNight/Joshua Tree/Thriller/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-25 02:34 by Taylor1.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:40

Not to offend anyone but this list is SHIT..Love Marvin gaye,but better than Dylan,Bruce,Beatles, Stones..pleaaaaassseeeee. sad smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:47

treaclefingers
This going to sound very obviously biased, but you could probably take the entire Beatles catalogue, and half the Stones catalogue, and put them on the list in lieu of some of the entries they currently have, and have a significantly stronger list.

...and I only say half the Stones catalogue for some very obvious reasons!

Agreed 100%, though I'll add my own version:

Bealtes + Stones '63-'83, Led Zep, Yes '69-'80, The Who '65-'82, Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd '67-'87, Rush '74-'84, Van Halen '77-'84. + Bob Marley, The Kinks, Clapton, MUSE, Nirvana.

if there's any room left, then add: Bowie '71-'84, Peter Gabriel (1st 5 solo LP's), Boston, u2, etc. etc.

I wonder what our world would be like if Steven Tyler & Aerosmith didn't try to rejuvenate their career in '85 by doing a duet of 'Walk This Way' w/Run DMC. They introduced Rap/Hip-hop/R&B (modern vs.) to the mainstream, Hollywood, & it spawned 2-3 generations of impressionable (less than intelligent) youths w/Bad taste in "music" & changed the entire world, not just musically either. The urban feel influenced music/art/movies/culture/fashion etc. is like an out of control weed/crab grass & disproportionately so vs. the demographics in which it festers. Had they not done that I wonder how long it would have taken to seep into the mainstream. How big would it have gotten? You can't go anywhere, see any commercial or program on tv/movies/streams w/o it. Another reason I don't watch tv/netflix, I'd rather read & listen to music, stream NHL hockey, Moto GP etc.. I feel like we're on the precipice of living in an dystopian urban paradox.

In the immortal words of our beloved Mr. George Harrison: "Rap is crap!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-25 05:34 by KevinM.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:55

Voodoo Lounge,Steel Wheels, and Bridges to Babylon are better albums than What’s Going On.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: September 25, 2020 04:39

Led Zep 4 at number 58……and The Band at 59.....ridiculous!!

I think RS is covering too many genres of music with too much hip hop and rap stuff in the list.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 25, 2020 05:35

Someone mentioned "Tattoo You".

I would rate "Tattoo You" higher than
"Some Girls".

It really should have been included
somewhere, maybe in addition to
"Some Girls".

On a side note, I looked over the top
50, and I have 30 of those in my
collection.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 26, 2020 11:37

Chacho

On a side note, I looked over the top
50, and I have 30 of those in my
collection.

I have 23 of the top-50 in my collection. A few of those I don't own, I really should do.

I'd be interested to know how many have Dr. Dre's The Chronic and Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready To Die as part of their collection. I have both. Awesome early-90's hip-hop.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 26, 2020 12:32

Some Girls and Aftermath? ...And no Goats Head Soup or Get Yer Ya Yas Out? What a stupid list. I'd even take Steel Weels or Tatoo You before the two first ones. Lists are stupid anyways.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 26, 2020 13:07

S.T.P
Some Girls and Aftermath? ...And no Goats Head Soup or Get Yer Ya Yas Out? What a stupid list. I'd even take Steel Weels or Tatoo You before the two first ones. Lists are stupid anyways.

I do prefer Tattoo You to Some Girls, personally. It's such a great sounding record. In my opinion, it's their fifth best album, just behind the 'big four'

Date: September 26, 2020 16:51

Big Al
S.T.P

I do prefer Tattoo You to Some Girls, personally. It's such a great sounding record. In my opinion, it's their fifth best album, just behind the 'big four'

ditto

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 26, 2020 17:40

Rip This
a lot to be disappointed about in that list...to say the least.....yikes som eof those "top" records I have no interest in whatsoever

More than some. eye rolling smiley

Way to much Rap and Hip Hop. Dark Side of the Moon 55, Disraeli Gears 170 and nothing else in top 200 from Pink Floyd or Eric Clapton. Really? Beyonce's Lemonade is the 32nd best album of all time and Kanye West having 2 in the top 100 including 17 is ridiculous.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home