Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
RollingStone Magazine (500 Best Albums Of All Time)
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 05:28

In the updated '500 Best Albums Of All Time' list these are where the Stones albums were placed:

SOME GIRLS (468)
AFTERMATH (330)
BEGGARS BANQUET (185)
STICKY FINGERS (104)
LET IT BLEED (41)
EXILE ON MAIN STREET (14)

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 20:00 by JordyLicks96.

Re: RollingStone Magazine (500 Best Albums Of All Time)
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 23, 2020 05:47

Thanks for posting this JordyLicks96

Who Voted for the 500 Greatest Albums? More than 300 artists, journalists, and industry figures — everyone from Beyoncé to Taylor Swift to members of U2 — helped determine the all-new list

While the Top 500 list is highly debated/subjective, the list of 300+ voters is littered with Hip-hop/Rap/R&B (modern vs.), that the top 500 list becomes a joke. Conversely, there's very few classic rockers, modern rockers: Rick Wakeman, Adam Clayton, Mick Avory, Eric Burdon, The Edge etc. No integrity there, at least not for me.

No members of: Beatles/Stones/Led Zep/The Who/Yes-1 member/JH Experience/The Doors/Pink Floyd/Rush/Van Halen/Nirvana/Muse/Bob Marley's Wailers/Clapton etc.

The Kinks represented by Mick Avory.

They should split these into to genres for accuracy & credibility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 05:49 by KevinM.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2020 06:14

Interesting to see the Beatles have 5 albums in the top 50, and glad to see Revolver has risen above Sgt. Pepper which seemingly used to always be #1 in Rolling Stone mag. polls.
I'd also rank both the White album and Rubber Soul above Sgt. Peppers, and not sure if Abbey Road belongs at #1 (I'd say the White album), but overall the Beatles are well represented.

Rubber Soul (35)
White album (29)
Sgt. Peppers (24)
Revolver (11)
Abbey Road (5)

eye popping smileyRe: RollingStone Magazine (500 Best Albums Of All Time)
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 23, 2020 09:51

Top 5...really??

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 23, 2020 11:14

What are the top 5? Past lists have been a bit classic-rock heavy and cliched. I quite liked the NME's list from a few year's back. A more contemporary view.

Edit: OK, iv'e viewed the list. Better, but not sure if I agree!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 11:16 by Big Al.

Date: September 23, 2020 11:23

Hairball
Interesting to see the Beatles have 5 albums in the top 50, and glad to see Revolver has risen above Sgt. Pepper which seemingly used to always be #1 in Rolling Stone mag. polls.
I'd also rank both the White album and Rubber Soul above Sgt. Peppers, and not sure if Abbey Road belongs at #1 (I'd say the White album), but overall the Beatles are well represented.

Rubber Soul (35)
White album (29)
Sgt. Peppers (24)
Revolver (11)
Abbey Road (5)

I think Revolver overtook Sergeant Pepper some time ago. Like you, I'd also rank the White Album and Rubber Soul higher than Sergeant Pepper.

My Beatles top-5 would be :-

Revolver
The White Album
Rubber Soul
Abbey Road
Sergeant Pepper

* Rubber Soul and The White Album could swap positions, easily. I've never loved the latter-period Beatles the same way as so many do. Sometimes I even feel I enjoy the Beatlemania years more!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 23, 2020 11:23

JordyLicks96
In the updated '500 Best Albums Of All Time' list these are where the Stones albums were placed:

SOME GIRLS (468)
AFTERMATH (330)
BEGGARS BANQUET (185)
STICKY FINGERS (104)
LET IT BLEED (41)

[www.rollingstone.com]

No Tattoo You ??

Date: September 23, 2020 11:27

matxil
JordyLicks96

SOME GIRLS (468)
AFTERMATH (330)
BEGGARS BANQUET (185)
STICKY FINGERS (104)
LET IT BLEED (41)

[www.rollingstone.com]

No Tattoo You ??

When there's thousands of albums to consider, I guess something's gotta give! I love Tattoo You, but i'm totally unsurprised bu it's omission.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 11:47

Hairball

Rubber Soul (35)
White album (29)
Sgt. Peppers (24)
Revolver (11)
Abbey Road (5)

Nice to see this sequence. I always preferred Rubber Soul and Revolver, as well as Abbey Road well over Sgt. Peppers, which to me was a heavy overstatement of the Beatles capabilities (too much George Martin I would say).
Mind you, I'm a Stones fan. For the rest, polls don't mean much to me. They're based on ever changing opinions (just like mine grinning smiley)
smileys with beer

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 23, 2020 11:59

Big Al
matxil
JordyLicks96

SOME GIRLS (468)
AFTERMATH (330)
BEGGARS BANQUET (185)
STICKY FINGERS (104)
LET IT BLEED (41)

[www.rollingstone.com]

No Tattoo You ??

When there's thousands of albums to consider, I guess something's gotta give! I love Tattoo You, but i'm totally unsurprised bu it's omission.

Yes, but I would rate TATTOO YOU higher than SOME GIRLS, AFTERMATH and STICKY FINGERS.

If I would rate the top 7, it would be from best to slightly less great:
1) EXILE
2) LET IT BLEED
3) BEGGAR'S BANQUET
4) TATTOO YOU
5) STICKY FINGERS
6) AFTERMATH
7) SOME GIRLS

Date: September 23, 2020 12:01

I'd rather listen to Past Masters Volume 1. than Sergeant Pepper. The album makes my top-5 based more on recognition and importance, than listening enjoyment. I'd rather listen to Help! and A Hard Day's Night; especially the latter. The joyousness of the '64 Beatles eclipses much of what came a few years later.

Date: September 23, 2020 14:51

Hairball

Rubber Soul (35)
White album (29)
Sgt. Peppers (24)
Revolver (11)
Abbey Road (5)

Where's A Hard Day's Night? Ranks first on my Beatles-list. Not a bad track on it smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2020 14:56

DandelionPowderman
]

Where's A Hard Day's Night? Ranks first on my Beatles-list. Not a bad track on it smiling smiley

It does on my list, too, sometimes. It's certainly their finest pre-Rubber Soul album.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 23, 2020 15:02

The White Album has maybe 4 great songs, the rest are split between ok songs and outright crap (e.g. Honey Pie)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2020 15:13

When I saw Wu Tang and Notorious BIG ahead of Blonde On Blonde, I knew it was bogus.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2020 15:40

Well, the best - and who knows, probably the only good - thing in that list is that the over-blown hype over SGT PEPPER starts to be over. Not to belittle its significance at the time - the idea of a concept album and all that shit - but there is not other album in the history of recorded music that is soooo over-rated by all accounts. If we are just looking at musical quality, and forget all the bullshit, there are better Beatles albums. Keith's comparison of Mick's solo albums to MEIN KAMPF is much more accurate in regard to SGT PEPPER (although I need to confess to me it was news that 'everyone' owns a copy. Of the people I know only one political historian owns a copy of MEIN KAMPF... and shit, not that many people I know own a Jagger solo album either...) I guess now at the streaming age the amount of people having nerves to listen SGT. PEPPER from the beginning to the end starts to be a rather small number. And in regard to this 'album of all albums' for a good reason.smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 23, 2020 16:29

What does everyone think of this list, generally?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 23, 2020 17:24

Big Al
What does everyone think of this list, generally?

Just a few thoughts.

To see Britney Spears in this list, is like having Tavernello (cheap Italian wine) in a 5 star restuarant wine list ...

Almost entirely made up of USA/UK produced music. Not one single record from Brazil, Italy, France ... I mean 3 or 4 Janet JAckson and no Gil, Veloso, Elis Regina, Mina, Battisti, Dalla, Gainsbourg, Django Reinhardt (just to name a few)?

Surprised not to see Sting in the list (unless I missed him)

Only 5 (more or less) jazz albums?

Blues? The usual 3/4 and that's it

C

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2020 18:52

I hated these things back before the internet. Not having TATTOO YOU included is pathetic. Not sure why magazines etc, especially Rolling Stone, which is completely lost, bother with these kind of things that are completely subjective to begin with.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:00

Big Al
DandelionPowderman
]

It does on my list, too, sometimes. It's certainly their finest pre-Rubber Soul album.

There's a very good chance it's somewhere in the top 500 and it certainly should be (as should all of the Beatles albums imo), but I only looked at the top 50.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:19

What nonsense. Marvin Gaye number 1? that album isnt even rock music. There are about 50 albums better than Whats Going On, including Exile, Sticky, Bleed ,and Beggars. Picking Gaye is just political c.

Date: September 23, 2020 19:26

Taylor1
What nonsense. Marvin Gaye number 1? that album isnt even rock music. There are about 50 albums better than Whats Going On, including Exile, Sticky, Bleed ,and Beggars. Picking Gaye is just political c.

I do look at the top-20 or so and wonder, admittedly. There’s some mighty fine albums there - especially Aretha’s -, but I have to question whether this would’ve been the list I’d compiled last year. I really hate to think this, but...

Date: September 23, 2020 19:33

Despite the wondering I express in my above post, I do kinda like the diversity at the same time. RollingStone has been criticised for being too ‘classic rock’ in the past, no? I recollect they gave A Bigger Bang 5 stars!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:44

I'm so old, I remember when Rolling Stone was cool, informative, and interesting.

Random Notes and their reviews were mandatory reading in the 70's.

My, how the mighty have fallen!

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure the even Emotional Rescue is better than most of these.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:45

It has been a long time since I listened to the only very few albums that I have got from Marvin Gaye. However, to me even his own album, MPG, is much to prefer to WHAT'S GOING ON. That was a highly strange choice.

Date: September 23, 2020 19:56

Elmo Lewis
I'm so old, I remember when Rolling Stone was cool, informative, and interesting.

Random Notes and their reviews were mandatory reading in the 70's.

My, how the mighty have fallen!

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure the even Emotional Rescue is better than most of these.

Well said!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 19:59

The Beatles:

Let It Be (342)
Help! (266)
A Hard Day's Night (263)
Meet the Beatles! (197)
Rubber Soul (35)
White Album (29)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (24)
Revolver (11)
Abbey Road (5)

Date: September 23, 2020 20:58

I like the fact Meet The Beatles! made the list. It may be judged differently by non-Americans - in fact, Americans under a certain age, too -, but there is absolutely no denying it’s significance.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 23, 2020 21:57

Taylor1

Well they couldn't put a White Male on #1, that wouldnt be woke

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 23, 2020 22:03

a lot to be disappointed about in that list...to say the least.....yikes som eof those "top" records I have no interest in whatsoever

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home