Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Urban Jungle 7th of July 1990 legendary?
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 10:42

Shouldn't the 7th of July 1990 Wembley, London recordings be honoured with a deLuxe?
Wasn't that the day in 1962 on which the guys had that notorious phone call where they announced themselves as The Rollin' Stones?
Personally I already have a Sound Board quality recording (BBC) for ages and it still frequently batters the speakers of my car. Even more so, because an English friend, by surprise, had arranged concert tickets for that day after I had told him long before that my dream was to see the Stones perform in their "home town" (I saw them before in Bristol in 1971). We only needed to cross the Channel.
Great memories ...
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 16:56 by georgie48.

Re: Urban Jungle 7th of July 1990 legendary?
Date: September 20, 2020 11:26

Agreed. However, They would have to release the show first smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 20, 2020 11:50

georgie48

Wasn't that the day in 1962 on which the guys had that notorious phone call where they announced themselves as The Rollin' Stones?

The phone call by Brian to Jazz News where they announced themselves as the Rollin' Stones must have been before 2-Jul-1962 since Brian's letter about their first gig at the Marquee Jazz Club was from that date:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:34

georgie48
Shouldn't the 7th of July 1990 Wembley, London recordings be homoured with a deLuxe?

no, we have seen enough releases from 89/90 and there are enough bootlegs from those shows. They should rather release stuff that's not in general circulation

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:34

I never noticed the Earl Phillips on Drum's before

Date: September 20, 2020 12:39

Irix
georgie48

The phone call by Brian to Jazz News where they announced themselves as the Rollin' Stones must have been before 2-Jul-1962 since Brian's letter about their first gig at the Marquee Jazz Club was from that date:

[iorr.org]

Thanks Irix!
I wasn't quite sure, but I should have checked my archive firstgrinning smiley
I do have a copy/photo image of that letter too. Some still have doubts about that letter. Brian saying "I understand Mick Jagger, our singer has phoned you ...". Mick and Keith have mentioned in interviews that there was a phone conversation with the Marquee Club during which they were asked for a name of their band and then turned to Brian, who was present, who came up with the name The Rollin' Stones via Muddy Waters' record "on the floor". So to me the "I understand" part of the note suggests that he wasn't present during the phone call that Mick had. So then there may have been at least two phone calls ?!?
Or ... I wrongly interpret the phrase "I understand". English native speakers would know ...
Anyway, you're right, the notorious (famous) phone call was either on or before July 2, 1962.
smileys with beer

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: September 20, 2020 16:32

As this was my first Stones gig I have to wholeheartedly agree with the OP!(even if the date doesn't quite match the letter)

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 21, 2020 14:00

There is a great bootleg I own. Get it it! I love it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2020 14:12

SKILLS
I never noticed the Earl Phillips on Drum's before

Yeah, who the heck was he?

Date: September 21, 2020 14:51

That's the one I meant, Schwonek! Thanks for scanning it.

And SKILL and Koen, this Earl Phillips guy was a notorious US Blues/Jazz drummer, apparently well known by Brian. Tony Chapman was "a bit" unreliable with keeping promissed appointments, so at the time of writing the drummer was an uncertain factor. So Brian was creativegrinning smiley. Mick Avory (later Kinks) was asked, but eventually didn't join the Stones, because Chapman apparently turned up in time for the Stones' first ever gig in the Marquee Club.
smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2020 15:55

georgie48

Shouldn't the 7th of July 1990 Wembley, London recordings be honoured with a deLuxe?

If Universal Music re-releases 'Live at the Max' it could get the same Deluxe-treatment like 'Steel Wheels Live'.

There could also be an extra Disc (like Rare Reels or the Tokyo-DVD) and could contain then the concert from Wembley Stadium, 7-Jul-1990. Just a thought.

Date: September 21, 2020 17:16

Nice idea, but ... Live at the Max should then also circulate again in iMax theaters. It was such a great experience seeing the band members 15 meters tall in front with great surround music!
I like your idea of combining Tokyo and Wembley 1990 as deLuxe! Steel Jungle on the Ilses cool smiley
smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2020 17:30

georgie48

It was such a great experience seeing the band members 15 meters tall in front with great surround music!

No problem in today's Home-Cinemas with 4K-Projectors and Dolby Atmos Surround-Sound.

In 2020 there should have been even 8K resolution introduced to the (Japanese) mass market during the (now postponed) Summer Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal makes an 10K-Scan of the 70 mm IMAX film ....

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 21, 2020 17:36

Brian naming himself "Leader" must have annoyed Mick & Keith.Only if one is elected or if his accomplishments in regard of the band are essential and unique can he be the One. Sorry to digress from the topic. Brian is great.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: September 21, 2020 17:45

rollmops

Brian naming himself "Leader" must have annoyed Mick & Keith.

Read again the Stones-history. Brian was the one who wanted to form a Band. M. Jagger, Dick Taylor and K. Richards joined in .... [en.Wikipedia.org] .

And they were billed as "Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones" - [iorr.org] . Therefore "our singer" , "Vocals" in Brian's letter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-21 17:50 by Irix.

Date: September 21, 2020 19:44

Irix
rollmops

Read again the Stones-history. Brian was the one who wanted to form a Band. M. Jagger, Dick Taylor and K. Richards joined in .... [en.Wikipedia.org] .

And they were billed as "Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones" - [iorr.org] . Therefore "our singer" , "Vocals" in Brian's letter.

Originally two other Blues purists (Brian originally considered himself a Blues purist) named Geoff Bradford and Brian Knight did quit the pre-Stones sessions, apparently because they didn't like Keith's and/or Mick's musical taste.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: September 22, 2020 01:44

Is this date the last date of the tour? Bill’s last gig?

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 22, 2020 02:22

Speaking of the I-Max print, the Blu Ray that came out a few years ago has a remarkable picture, and is the only way to view the full widescreen I believe, unless I missed a DVD release apart from the existing 4:3 DVD which misses half the picture.

When I updated to a 4K 65' it was one of the first titles I played and it was amazing

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 22, 2020 08:04

What became of Tony Chapman after he left the Stones? Is he alive today?

plexi

Date: September 22, 2020 08:14

vertigojoe

After July 7 another 20 concerts followed. Bill's last gig was on August 25, 1990 in, again, Wembley. If I remember well, the last two shows (both Wembley) were done on a reduced size Steel Wheels stage.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 22, 2020 08:26

georgie48
vertigojoe

After July 7 another 20 concerts followed. Bill's last gig was on August 25, 1990 in, again, Wembley. If I remember well, the last two shows (both Wembley) were done on a reduced size Steel Wheels stage.

.... and they were filmed for At The Max....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 22, 2020 10:18

timbernardis
What became of Tony Chapman after he left the Stones? Is he alive today?
plexi

It look he is alive. The only info I found was on Wikipedia. Apparantly James Karnbach spoke with him (interview?) quite a while ago.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: September 22, 2020 15:39

To me the UK/Europe performances both on tattoo you and steel wheels tours deteriorated from the last US shows just months earlier.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2020 16:47

longlongwinter
To me the UK/Europe performances both on tattoo you and steel wheels tours deteriorated from the last US shows just months earlier.

I'm not sure if the Stones' performances deteriorated after those tours' respective North American legs, but the set-lists were probably a little shorter; a happening that became more noticeable from the Lick tour onward's. They performed what, around 24 songs during the Euro show's in 1990? It was down to 19 for the Licks tour.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 22, 2020 17:52

Irix
rollmops

I have read many biographies of the Stones, but I don't remember Brian being the founder, but it was Brian who chose the name (the rolling stones). The reviews tell of Mick and Keith decided to form a band, one night they found themselves in a well-known club and listened to Brian playing, they were fascinated by Brian's way of playing the slide guitar and asked him if he wanted to join them. This is the story that many books tell ...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2020 18:34

longlongwinter

All that I've listened to they sound the same, although Hang Fire, in 1982 I think, has horns in it? Otherwise the bulk of the set list for each of those tours hardly changed between the 2 years for each tour other than, especially with STEEL WHEELS, putting new songs in as the tour progressed.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 22, 2020 20:00

This was my first ever Stones show and to say I was massively excited is an understatement.I even bailed my own graduation night to go along.

Adding to the great vibe was that I won my tickets by phoning in on some TV show (does anyone remember 01 for London).

Slept in the boot of the car too.

Great days!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2020 20:03

schwonek
There is a great bootleg I own. Get it it! I love it.

It is! I have it! So much better than FLASHPOINT.

Date: September 22, 2020 20:12

longlongwinter

Different side of the Atlantic, different audiences, different athmospheres. Everything just different ...
I remember my first concert in the USA, 1994 Giant Stadium, New Jersey. I was amazed to see people sitting on chairs on the field! Slower song, people returned sitting on their chairs, amazing. I don't think deteriorating is a proper discription. Just different ... it wouldn't be fair to say that European fans are more spontanious than American fans. Just different ...
smileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2020 21:45

Testify

I have read many biographies of the Stones, but I don't remember Brian being the founder, but it was Brian who chose the name (the rolling stones). The reviews tell of Mick and Keith decided to form a band, one night they found themselves in a well-known club and listened to Brian playing, they were fascinated by Brian's way of playing the slide guitar and asked him if he wanted to join them. This is the story that many books tell ...

Books .... as reliable as the Internet. I've read in a RS-Book 35 years ago that Keith's missing 's' in his surname came from 'differences' with his father - but that's not true. Instead, A.L. Oldham believed that 'Keith Richard' would 'look more pop' and 'Cliff Richard does all right with that name, doesn’t he?'.

Brian, the RS-founder: Bill Wyman 'complained' in 2015 about the Dartford Station plaque, said guitarist Brian Jones created The Rolling Stones and enlisted the other members - [www.BBC.com] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] . A discussion about RS-member's correct order: [iorr.org] .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home