Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2022 11:31

Started out a bluesman
but soon hit the harder stuff .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 29, 2022 13:47

Pietro
I sometimes wonder what he would be doing if he were still alive. He was deep into psychedelics. He would've outgrown that and become a great blues musician, I bet.

Jimi was doomed to die early. The gods loved him. They wanted him for themselves.

I think he would've ended up doing jazz. There were hints he was heading that direction at the end of his life.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 29, 2022 15:48

A couple of interesting documentaries here on the Are You Experienced album and the first UK tour.

Are You Experienced - [www.youtube.com]

First UK Tour - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 29, 2022 22:01

crholmstrom
Pietro
I sometimes wonder what he would be doing if he were still alive. He was deep into psychedelics. He would've outgrown that and become a great blues musician, I bet.

Jimi was doomed to die early. The gods loved him. They wanted him for themselves.

I think he would've ended up doing jazz. There were hints he was heading that direction at the end of his life.

Miles Davis thought that, too (as far as I remember).

I was very into Hendrix stuff when I was much younger. Some 30 years later I listen to Hendrix rarely. But when I do I just listen to his blues stuff (especially to live versions 'Red House')

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 29, 2022 22:16

slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

I was very into Hendrix stuff when I was much younger. Some 30 years later I listen to Hendrix rarely. But when I do I just listen to his blues stuff (especially to live versions 'Red House')

Hell yes! Red House is where it's at! Love the version on Blues.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 30, 2022 00:19

NashvilleBlues
slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

True. Me too.
Especially that version from San Diego's Sports Arena, May 25. 1969 is like something holy to me ... can't find just one note he plays in there which is not perfect... truly amazing!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 30, 2022 01:28

waterrats
NashvilleBlues
slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

True. Me too.
Especially that version from San Diego's Sports Arena, May 25. 1969 is like something holy to me ... can't find just one note he plays in there which is not perfect... truly amazing!

Masterpiece.

OT: "Jimi: The official 80th birthday edition" book
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 27, 2022 20:43

JIMI is the ultimate tribute to the greatest guitar player in rock and roll history, celebrating what would have been Jimi Hendrix's 80th birthday on November 27, 2022. This comprehensive visual celebration is an official collaboration with Jimi's sister, Janie Hendrix, and John McDermott of Experience Hendrix L.L.C. JIMI significantly expands on the authors' previously published titles, including An Illustrated Experience, and features a new introduction by Janie, extensive biographical texts, and a trove of lesser known and never-before-published photographs, personal memorabilia, lyrics, and more. Additionally, JIMI includes quotations by legendary musicians, such as Paul McCartney, Ron Wood, Jeff Beck, Lenny Kravitz, Drake, Dave Grohl, and others who have spoken about Hendrix's lasting influence.

In the four years before his untimely death at age 27, Jimi Hendrix created a groundbreaking musical legacy, one that includes revered classics such as "Purple Haze" and "Voodoo Child." His signature guitar playing, provocative songwriting, and charismatic performances have continued to inspire legions of musicians and fans alike.

[jimihendrix.chroniclebooks.com]

Re: OT: "Jimi: The official 80th birthday edition" book
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: September 27, 2022 21:03

AI by Alper Yesiltas shows us a 2022 Jimi.

Link found at [www.rtl.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-27 21:07 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 27, 2022 21:51

Nice cover on the book. I'm excited to check it out. Happy Birthday to Jimi. drinking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 27, 2022 22:33

I don't think there's anything left to know. He only lived to 27. He is not only the greatest rock guitarist, he is the genre's greatest musician. He is one of the few rock musicians to transcend rock and be considered one of the greatest musicians ever, period. He is up there with Buddy Rich and Charlie Parker.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 27, 2022 22:34

frankotero
Nice cover on the book. I'm excited to check it out. Happy Birthday to Jimi. drinking smiley
It's not before the 27ht of novembersmileys with beer

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 28, 2022 02:31

More good news (from France) regarding Jimi's birthday :

[www.khabarnonstop.com]

OT: German Mail issues Jimi Hendrix stamps
Date: August 3, 2023 19:24

Re: OT: German Mail issues Jimi Hendrix stamps
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 3, 2023 20:10

child-of-the-moon

[shop.deutschepost.de]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 4, 2023 04:57

BlueTurns2Grey

hmmm...Jimi Einstein

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 5, 2023 02:57

treaclefingers
BlueTurns2Grey

hmmm...Jimi Einstein

First thing I thought!!
It’s also kinda true. Jimi was the Einstein of guitar!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 5, 2023 05:42

I'm pretty sure he would have changed his style lol

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 5, 2023 07:40

NashvilleBlues
waterrats
NashvilleBlues
slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

True. Me too.

Masterpiece.

I second that! When I first heard this version of Red House on Hendrix in the West, it knocked my socks off. Arguably the best live version of this song he recorded. Even appreciated it more when I was stoned out of mind listening to it in my bedroom! LOL

I collected a lot of Hendrix recordings at one time. I would also tend to agree with what others have posted as I think he would have been headed in the jazz domain (and possibly more funk/R&B/soul via Band of Gypsys type music)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-05 07:42 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 5, 2023 08:37

waterrats
NashvilleBlues
slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

True. Me too.

This is what I needed to hear. Thank you! smileys with beer

Date: August 5, 2023 12:34

This whole album is smokin' hot. But yeah Red House stands out. Little Wing and Voodoo Child especially rock me to the core.

Date: August 6, 2023 01:20

TravelinMan

His playing might have changed into the direction of a cross-over between Frank Zappa and John McLaughlin, the clean guys in the business. Like they played in the late 6-tees, early 7-tees.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2023 08:20

Jimi was not only the greatest guitar player who ever lived he may very well have been the greatest musician who ever lived.period.

In modern times it’s popular to say Eddie Van Halen,Jimmy Page or maybe Jeff Beck is the Goat.it’s laughable.
These are great players but they are “playing guitar” either doing gimmicks, regurgitating things they heard while learning to play or trying to go “ next level”.

Jimi was…. I’m not sure it’s even appropriate to say what he was doing to the electric lady.that guitar at different times is talking, crying, laughing, screaming and always telling a story.

And he could sing.none of the monster rock guitar players can sing.Clapton, ok but Erics best work during Cream you can find on the Freddie King albums he took it from.
Jimi’s voice is as instantly recognizable as his guitar playing- if I say “Here comes Dolly…… you immediately have that song going in your head.
Now I said if a Six …..

Fckr was from another planet.

Date: August 6, 2023 08:27

Perfect lem motlow. That's my sentiments exactly.smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2023 12:07

lem motlow
Jimi was not only the greatest guitar player who ever lived he may very well have been the greatest musician who ever lived. Period.

This is a tongue-in-cheek comment, right?
How about Bach or Mozart? Or Miles Dizzy or Duke?

Listen to some JHE audience tapes and youll notice that yeah he had some awful off-gigs just like anybody else.
And RE his 70 year his studio output was underwhelming to say the least.

And psychologically I find it interesting that he was such a sub : he obeyed a tyranical manager, he toured when he did not want to, his records were released with a cover he did not choose.
I could not see Mick and Keef being led like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-06 12:10 by dcba.

Date: August 6, 2023 12:40

slewan
crholmstrom
Pietro

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 6, 2023 22:44

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

His playing might have changed into the direction of a cross-over between Frank Zappa and John McLaughlin, the clean guys in the business. Like they played in the late 6-tees, early 7-tees.

I should have quoted the picture. I meant I'm sure he would have changed his clothing style. For all we know, he might have started wearing flannel

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 7, 2023 12:20

dcba

And psychologically I find it interesting that he was such a sub : he obeyed a tyranical manager, he toured when he did not want to, his records were released with a cover he did not choose.

Hendrix was 24 when he turned huge, one of the biggest attractions the world has ever seen besides the Beatles. When the Stones were 24 they just had released a couple of albums with mainly covers, with artwork done by their manager. It wasn't until Aftermath Mick and Keith started to take over control.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: August 8, 2023 07:03

Mathijs

When the Stones were 24 they just had released a couple of albums with mainly covers, with artwork done by their manager. It wasn't until Aftermath Mick and Keith started to take over control.

Mathijs

They were 24 in 1967 and 1968.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 8, 2023 09:53

Mathijs
dcba

Hendrix was 24 when he turned huge, one of the biggest attractions the world has ever seen besides the Beatles. When the Stones were 24 they just had released a couple of albums with mainly covers, with artwork done by their manager. It wasn't until Aftermath Mick and Keith started to take over control.

Mathijs

Was that before or after they lost their publishing and signed a deal that caused them to fight with Allen Klein to get their money for years to come.
Maybe dopey would’ve been more impressed if Jimi had a story about how he stood there wearing sunglasses, the big gun.
What kind of weirdo calls someone a “sub” anyway.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home