Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 18, 2020 23:40

>To take it a step further and lay praise on the twins for the 1969 US Tour for
>making touring professional and modern where they made the model for large shows
>for instance arenas and stadiums .

Actually their equipment completely broke down most of that tour. The Ampeg amps for one thing, just not up to the rigors of road use. And I am not sure they carried their own PA with them...kinda doubt it.

I would say for numerous reasons, including coming to their rescue in Oakland 1969, the Grateful Dead deserve more credit for the move to real sound systems supplied by the band instead of the theatre or promoter.

But back to Hendrix, yeah he could have done a lot more if he had lived. Not sure I would have been one of his followers though, he pretty much burned out in front of our eyes if you ask me. Probably would have been much less low-key than he was originally, that was the direction I think he was going. More concentration on the music and less on the clown-man-ship. And he was increasingly politically aware so I think he would have continued on in that vein had he lived.

jb

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:00

Insel Fehmarn, Germany, Sunday, Sept. 6th, 1970

only followed by a Jam Session Ronnie Scott’s (with War)
London, September 16th 1970

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 00:04 by TooTough.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:40

Rank Stranger
Tonight on ARTE TV:

[www.arte.tv]

and here...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:42

----->>>>> [www.genesis-publications.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:47

Not exactly the feel good story I was expecting when I saw a couple headlines about Ronnie Wood buys Hendrix' vintage guitar tbh.. Missed this at the time, but wonder if she still has it. Looks similar to the one posted above at his last performance but.. I've no clue in identifying guitars..cool smiley

[www.contactmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 00:49 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 19, 2020 03:17

jbwelda
>...

But back to Hendrix, yeah he could have done a lot more if he had lived. Not sure I would have been one of his followers though, he pretty much burned out in front of our eyes if you ask me. Probably would have been much less low-key than he was originally, that was the direction I think he was going. More concentration on the music and less on the clown-man-ship. And he was increasingly politically aware so I think he would have continued on in that vein had he lived.

jb

Re: "he could have done a lot more if he had lived"

I'm not sure how familiar you are with his entire catalog (or how much you like Hendrix), but if you haven't already, do a deep dive into his unreleased/outtakes/sessions/demos etc. I'd guesstimate about 150-200+ songs that I've found (that weren't from his 4 LP's). There's another ~70+ I have yet to find. Some of these are with other artists: Curtis Knight, Stephen Stills etc., but most are just Jimi, with or w/o the Experience or Band Of Gypsys. Even his volumes of live tracks are often so different than the studio versions, it's worth looking into. I also think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the styles of music he was putting out (but not officially releasing).

I've spent many hours (5k) researching & compiling rarities/unreleased lists of my favorite artists over the last 7 years. The Stones, The Beatles, Jimi, Led Zep & The Who have by far the most, in that order of unreleased. Honorable mention to Yes, Rush, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Van Halen (DLR era) who have a decent amount, but nowhere near the 1st 5, at least that I've found.

Most of Led Zep's unreleased (relative to the other groups) is live cover songs, often with poor audio.

Let me know if you want links/resources etc, I'm happy to share my findings.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 03:34 by KevinM.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2020 03:18

A few more from Insel Fehmarn, Germany, Sunday, Sept. 6th, 1970:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I used to have this poster on my wall when in high school during the late 70's/early '80's...Jimi tripping out in the studio listening to his latest creations...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 19, 2020 03:31

Thank you for your kind invite, Kevin. I was being hasty writing that post and made some errors, biggest being I meant to say he was increasingly low key. This: "Probably would have been much less low-key than he was originally," should have read: "Probably would have been much more low-key than he was originally,".

But I did follow his posthumous releases, at least for a while. Honestly, I didn't hear much there that I cared for. Personally I liked Electric Ladyland best of all his official releases while he was alive, but mostly liked the Experience in its original form. Band of Gypsies did nothing for me and still don't. Part of that comes from Buddy Miles' involvement, nothing the guy did did anything for me in the least. And that is the sad part about Hendrix if you ask me: he started consorting with lower level musicians because, I always thought, he had a low self esteem at the heart of it and being with people like Miles let him shine a little brighter without really having to try. And thats the vibe I got post Electric Ladyland: that he didn't really care to try. Part of the death spiral I suppose. But I am sure he would have pulled out of it eventually, and probably start putting out interesting stuff again at some point, probably either with his original sidemen or with completely different people. Imagine Hendrix meets Prince for instance.

jb

Date: September 19, 2020 04:04

Some of his greatest songs were on the posthumous Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge albums imo, even though they might not have been as complete or finished as they might have been had Jimi lived. From Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) and the instrumental Pali Gap on Rainbow Bridge, to just about all of Cry of Love...essential Hendrix. Both albums were later compiled together for First Rays of the New Rising Sun released in the '90's which was supposedly the concept and title of the album Hendrix was working on at the time of his death, but one key tune that album is missing is the live Hear My Train which was on Rainbow Bridge. A few years ago they re-released both the original Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge on vinyl, and I couldn't help but buy two copies of each! My original '70's vinyls were a bit worse for wear to put it mildly, so to have brand new copies was somewhat of a miracle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 04:06 by Hairball.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 19, 2020 17:58

Nice read regarding other musicians weighing in on Hendrix as a musician and guitar player. Made me think of McCartney and his praise of Hendrix and how PM has played Hendrix during shows.

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: September 18, 2020
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 20, 2020 00:14

MisterDDDD

Fair enough. Hadn't noticed the caption stating it was '70
Apologies, you are right, the pic should have matched the caption, thought it was generic.

It's okay pal! winking smiley What I was trying to say is the JH of 1970 looked considerably older and worn-out than the one from 67. As if he was consumed from the inside. Otoh our beloved stones aged very slowly : it's hard to tell if a certain pic of Mick or Keef is from 68 69 or 70.

Date: September 20, 2020 00:26

I read somewhere Pink Floyd rehearsed Layla a few times. I'd love to hear this if you have found it.

KevinM
jbwelda
>...

jb

Re: "he could have done a lot more if he had lived"

I'm not sure how familiar you are with his entire catalog (or how much you like Hendrix), but if you haven't already, do a deep dive into his unreleased/outtakes/sessions/demos etc. I'd guesstimate about 150-200+ songs that I've found (that weren't from his 4 LP's). There's another ~70+ I have yet to find. Some of these are with other artists: Curtis Knight, Stephen Stills etc., but most are just Jimi, with or w/o the Experience or Band Of Gypsys. Even his volumes of live tracks are often so different than the studio versions, it's worth looking into. I also think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the styles of music he was putting out (but not officially releasing).

I've spent many hours (5k) researching & compiling rarities/unreleased lists of my favorite artists over the last 7 years. The Stones, The Beatles, Jimi, Led Zep & The Who have by far the most, in that order of unreleased. Honorable mention to Yes, Rush, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Van Halen (DLR era) who have a decent amount, but nowhere near the 1st 5, at least that I've found.

Most of Led Zep's unreleased (relative to the other groups) is live cover songs, often with poor audio.

Let me know if you want links/resources etc, I'm happy to share my findings.

Date: September 20, 2020 00:56

Steve Miller Band Shares ‘Peppa Sauce,’ an Instrumental Tribute to Jimi Hendrix Recorded on Sept. 18, 1970 – the Day Hendrix Died

Steve Miller

It was 50 years ago today, Sept. 18, that Jimi Hendrix passed away — one of the most talented and gifted guitarists the world has ever seen, gone at just 27 years of age.
That same fateful day in 1970, the Steve Miller Band took the stage at Pepperland, a now-defunct venue in San Rafael, California.

At the gig, the Steve Miller Band busted out a blistering musical homage to Hendrix in the form of “Peppa Sauce,” a seven-minute instrumental jam from the group that is about as on-point a musical tribute can be.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Hendrix’s passing, Miller shared the track on Friday.

thumbs up

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 20, 2020 05:48

georgemcdonnell314
I read somewhere Pink Floyd rehearsed Layla a few times. I'd love to hear this if you have found it.

KevinM

I don't have Layla, but I'll be on the lookout for sure.

In the meantime, check out The Who & Pink Floyd - live New Year's Eve '68.

New Year's Eve - live in Paris 1968 The Who & Pink Floyd

+ The Small Faces - The Troggs - Joe Cocker - Fleetwood Mac

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 20, 2020 07:31

Jimi was the first musical hero in my then still young life. I was still in primary school, and a few months after I had discovered him he already died. I still remember the newspaper front pages saying "Jimi Hendrix dead", in giant letters covering almost all of the page. But by then I was already hooked. My second LP ever was a Jimi Hendrix album called "In The Beginning" – where, as I found out later, he didn't even play on most of the tracks (my first LP ever was the Stones' first album). But shortly after that one I got "Band of Gypsies" – not the worst choice for getting deeper into Jimi's music.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 20, 2020 18:06

Awesome photos here from Hairball. thanks a lot.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2020 05:27

I never heard him much from way back, I recall Purple Haze on the radio a bit. Then one of my buddies gave me his cassette copy of Axis: Bold As Love ... I think I played it for a month straight!

Songs like Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, etc. are so beautiful, I was mesmerized just listening to the guitar work. I recall then getting a live album, Band of Gypsys 2, and fell in love w/ Hey Joe! Of course then I got all his albums at that time.

I stopped buying them because then they started releasing too many and at the time I just felt it was the record company just cashing in, I probably missed out on some good stuff since!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 22, 2020 04:38

No one sounds like him. They try, but fall short of the glory. I think Bloomfield had a wider range, but Hendrix had a feel no one could touch.

Date: September 22, 2020 04:43

Hairball
Steve Miller Band Shares ‘Peppa Sauce,’ an Instrumental Tribute to Jimi Hendrix Recorded on Sept. 18, 1970 – the Day Hendrix Died

Steve Miller

It was 50 years ago today, Sept. 18, that Jimi Hendrix passed away — one of the most talented and gifted guitarists the world has ever seen, gone at just 27 years of age.
That same fateful day in 1970, the Steve Miller Band took the stage at Pepperland, a now-defunct venue in San Rafael, California.

At the gig, the Steve Miller Band busted out a blistering musical homage to Hendrix in the form of “Peppa Sauce,” a seven-minute instrumental jam from the group that is about as on-point a musical tribute can be.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Hendrix’s passing, Miller shared the track on Friday.

thumbs up

This is extraordinary. Probably one of my new favorite songs.

Original project for the 80th birthday of Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: November 9, 2022 09:18

Frenchman Stéphane Korb was a teenager when he attended one of Jimi Hendrix's two concerts at the Olympia on January 29, 1968. Since then, he has become passionate about the guitarist.

Stéphane, whom I have known since 2005, contacted me about an initiative that I found quite original:

On the day of our common hero's 80th birthday, November 27th , he will unveil at 6:15pm (that is 10:15am in Seattle, the Voodoo Child's birth time) 10157 NFTs created from one of the pictures he took in 1968 (because Jimi Hendrix spent 10157 days on earth !).

The entirety of the NFTs will be available on the website www.opensea.io

Infos and details to follow through the Twitter account : @korb_stephane

Stay tuned

Re: Original project for the 80th birthday of Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 9, 2022 12:48

Cool. Looking forward to it. Also the new live CD next Friday. smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 10, 2022 18:03

Some people don't care for Band of Gypsys. To me it is the absolute best live album of all time. They put out a boxset called Songs For Groovy Children with all the shows from that Fillmore gig. Incredible. There's so much more there than the single album release in 1970.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-10 18:04 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 21, 2022 21:32

There is now available the CD of the concert in april 1969 at the la forum. Previously that had been available in a box called stages. That was available in the early 90s I think the spectacular i dont live today take is the one once included on the 2lp the Jimi Hendrix concerts. That was available in the 80s.
Anyway this CD also sports a fantastic version of Spanish castle magic. As well as long jams on tax free and voodoo Chile.
Being more a fan of the live recordings of the experience without noel redding this is my favourite Hendrix concert with the original experience.
Highly recommended

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-21 21:33 by Whale.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 21, 2022 22:16

My guess is around 71 he would have sued Mike Jeffries to be freed from his managing contract. The trial and its legal tangles would have prevented him from working for a lenghty period of time... which would have saved his life.

In 70 he was totally burnt out from too much touring, too much pressure too much recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-21 22:27 by dcba.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: November 21, 2022 23:45

I attended a Jimi Hendrix concert at the San Diego Sports Arena, May 1969, the only thing I remember about this concert event was the announcement for the upcoming Rolling Stones concert date, Nov 10th 1969.

At the time of Jimi's death Michael Bloomfield made a comment about the last time he had seen Jimi (1970) Michael stated that Jimi had the Keith Richards look on his face "the face of death" no food, no sleep, to much stuff.

Michael Bloomfield died about 10 years later of an overdose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-21 23:47 by Zotz.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 22, 2022 00:17

Whale
There is now available the CD of the concert in april 1969 at the la forum. Previously that had been available in a box called stages. That was available in the early 90s I think the spectacular i dont live today take is the one once included on the 2lp the Jimi Hendrix concerts. That was available in the 80s.
Anyway this CD also sports a fantastic version of Spanish castle magic. As well as long jams on tax free and voodoo Chile.
Being more a fan of the live recordings of the experience without noel redding this is my favourite Hendrix concert with the original experience.
Highly recommended

Ah nice!

I really enjoy the Experience with Mitch on drums and Billy on bass. Fantastic stuff from 1970.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 29, 2022 02:58

I sometimes wonder what he would be doing if he were still alive. He was deep into psychedelics. He would've outgrown that and become a great blues musician, I bet.

Jimi was doomed to die early. The gods loved him. They wanted him for themselves.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 29, 2022 03:39

Pietro
I sometimes wonder what he would be doing if he were still alive. He was deep into psychedelics. He would've outgrown that and become a great blues musician, I bet.

Jimi was doomed to die early. The gods loved him. They wanted him for themselves.

He was already capable. I love the Jimi Hendrix Blues album.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 29, 2022 04:14

Pietro

He was a blues musician from the beginning playing many different styles.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home