Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Jimi Hendrix stuff
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 18, 2020 01:21

September 18, 2020

Friday september 18, 1970 - Friday september 18, 2020

Photo taken at EMP Seattle in 2000.

YM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 18:25 by bv.

Re: September 18, 2020
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 18, 2020 02:17

RIP

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 18, 2020 03:25

Where's the OT police when you need them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 03:25 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2020 04:00

Well we've got Beatles stuff on
'ere for all the children so what
can ya do but thrash Starfooker at high volume

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 18, 2020 04:50

Yazid Manou

YM

So sad. I was at The Isle of Wight festival a few weeks prior so experienced (pun intended) his final UK performance.

At the time I was commuting to work by train, and a few days after his death some graffiti appeared on a wall alongside the track that simply said "Bye Bye Jimi".

So sad.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2020 04:58

Was watching an old 1970 Led Zep press conference w/Plant and Page today, and they had just found out earlier that day that Jimi had passed away.

Starts at about 2:33: Led Zep Press Conference 1970

RIP JIMI

Date: September 18, 2020 05:17

Hairball
Was watching an old 1970 Led Zep press conference w/Plant and Page today, and they had just found out earlier that day that Jimi had passed away.

Starts at about 2:33: Led Zep Press Conference 1970

RIP JIMI

Wow.. pretty raw having found out only a half hour before the presser.
The female reporter seemed to be going after them hard on the drugs angle.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: September 18, 2020 06:14

My 1st show ever April 5,1968 Jimi at Newark symphony Hall! Will never forget it. Day after MLK got shot. Parents none too happy about us going-but we went anyway. Was lucky to see Jimi 2 times after that. Still miss him.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2020 12:10

mrjones
My 1st show ever April 5,1968 Jimi at Newark symphony Hall! Will never forget it. Day after MLK got shot. Parents none too happy about us going-but we went anyway. Was lucky to see Jimi 2 times after that. Still miss him.

Do you remember if it was a "normal" setlist with classic songs played one after the other or one long jam/elegy to MLK?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 18, 2020 13:36

"Jimi called me up one night and said "I'm going to see the Stones tonight, do you wanna go?" I grabbed my camera bag and met him at the backstage entrance to Madison Square Garden and we went up to the dressing room and hung out with the Stones. This was on the occasion of Jimi’s birthday November 27,1969." --Eddie Kramer

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 18, 2020 13:57

Robert Johnson changed Keith's world from black and white to technicolor. Jimi did same for mine.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 18, 2020 14:14

Jimi Hendrix - it’s 50 years ago Jimi passed away; one of the greatest guitarplayers for me

Date: September 18, 2020 14:23

Yazid Manou
September 18, 2020

YM

The sound of silence.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 18, 2020 14:54

Rest in peace Jimi. I can only imagine what you would have accomplished and/or what musical directions you would have gone into had you continued to grace us with your presence. Just so ahead of your time!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 14:55 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2020 15:34

With Mick and Keith, as with the whole band, I get the feeling that they defined and perfected the style and art of rock, and they were like born to be model rock stars but nothing else. But with Dylan and Jimi I get the feeling that rock music always should be grateful for them picking up rock and roll as the vehicle of their artistic expression. And they transformed the genre into dimensions that changed it forever, and was actually seen as an art form, not just 'pop', to be taken seriously.

That most of Jimi's legacy is screwed up by whatever guitar @#$%& inspired by him and his followers should not hide the true genius and talent of the man. The greatest rock musician ever lived.

- Doxa

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 18, 2020 15:42

RIP

He changed the way guitar is played.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: September 18, 2020 16:34

dcba
mrjones

Do you remember if it was a "normal" setlist with classic songs played one after the other or one long jam/elegy to MLK?
He played mostly songs from Are You experienced. couple others too. short set-late show cancelled-place only half full maybe-great seats-told everyone to move up. Last song I believe was if I don't live today. threw guitar at the speakers!! a group called soft machine opened the show.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:17

Micky Dolenz recalls ill-fated Monkees tour with opening act Jimi Hendrix: ‘Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing’

[www.yahoo.com

I always found this particular billing to be a fascinating piece of musical and artistic history: A friend (since deceased) of my oldest brother went to one of the shows (I think he was in Florida at the time) where Hendrix opened up for the Monkees. This guy told my brother he couldn't believe what he saw as Hendrix was doing his sexy/suggestive thing with the guitar in front of these young, impressionable teens who were there with their parents and they were booing him. Boy, I would have loved to have been at that show to witness the novelty of the most mismatched musical billing in history!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 20:07 by Sighunt.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:20

Alas, I never got to see him perform live. His music still speaks to me this day and is part of my ongoing listening experience, no pun intended. I still look at him as the greatest electric guitar player ever in rock, perhaps the greatest electric guitar player considering how he revolutionized the use of the instrument. Like others have noted, you can only wonder where his muse would have taken him had he lived. Here's some links to him that showed up on a Dylan site in memory of his death.

[bestclassicbands.com]

[andnowitsallthis.blogspot.com]

[www.dw.com]

[www.independent.co.uk]

[www.openculture.com]

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix. Thanks for the music Jimi.

Date: September 18, 2020 17:32

Great article about Jimi in RS.
Tops my list of artists I wish I would have seen live.
I was only 11 when he passed, but from the same neighborhood and there were at least a couple opportunities.. My older brother relayed the experience many times from a gig at a nearby baseball stadium. Such a huge loss.. still resonating 50 years on.

Jimi’s Last Ride
Epic plans, earthly troubles and sweet music: the guitar god’s frenetic final months and lost recordings

On the evening of August 26th, 1970, Jimi Hendrix walked through the street-level door at 52 West 8th Street in New York’s Greenwich Village into paradise. Electric Lady Studios was the guitarist’s own state-of-the-art recording facility, and he had personally supervised many of its psychedelic details, like the mural of an elfin woman at the console of a spaceship. Tonight was the official opening party. Guests including guitarist Johnny Winter, Yoko Ono and Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood enjoyed Japanese food in Studio A, where Hendrix usually had stacks of amplifiers.
Hendrix, however, avoided the crush. One of rock’s most flamboyant showmen but a reserved, intensely shy man offstage, he was remote and despondent, spending much of the night sitting in a barber chair in a quiet corner of the reception area.
It would be his last night at Electric Lady. Hendrix died in London three weeks later. He was 27.

The studio that was supposed to be Hendrix’s sanctuary was also a source of stress and frustration. He was scrambling for money despite hit-record sales to fund the construction at Electric Lady; changing band lineups; and battling his manager. But even at a low ebb, he was looking, as he put it in one song at the time, “Straight Ahead.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:33

Tonight on ARTE TV:

[www.arte.tv]

Date: September 18, 2020 17:44

MisterDDDD

Jimi’s Last Ride
Epic plans, earthly troubles and sweet music: the guitar god’s frenetic final months and lost recordings

On the evening of August 26th, 1970...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Too bad the pic is from 1967... eye rolling smiley

Date: September 18, 2020 17:52

dcba

eye rolling smiley Who cares?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 17:54 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 18, 2020 18:02

One can only wonder how his career would have evolved. Such a loss.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:43

The greatest.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 18, 2020 19:46

MisterDDDD
dcba

Who cares?

I do, and physically the Jimi of 1970 was quite different from the one of 1970. Therefore the rag's pic editors could have pulled their thumb out of their arse and find a proper contemporary picture.

In the old days you had to make phone calls... In 2020 it's as easy as clicking on a link... winking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:59

Doxa
With Mick and Keith, as with the whole band, I get the feeling that they defined and perfected the style and art of rock, and they were like born to be model rock stars but nothing else. But with Dylan and Jimi I get the feeling that rock music always should be grateful for them picking up rock and roll as the vehicle of their artistic expression. And they transformed the genre into dimensions that changed it forever, and was actually seen as an art form, not just 'pop', to be taken seriously.

That most of Jimi's legacy is screwed up by whatever guitar @#$%& inspired by him and his followers should not hide the true genius and talent of the man. The greatest rock musician ever lived.

- Doxa
To take it a step further and lay praise on the twins for the 1969 US Tour for making touring professional and modern where they made the model for large shows for instance arenas and stadiums . Prior to the 1969 US tour audiences had difficulty hearing there favorite bands and artists . It was the Stones that started using modern technology and updated sound projection Public Address systems where the audience for the first time got to listen and hear the artist perform . Before with all of the screaming the sound was only being projected to the audience with on stage amps . It was the Stones that modernized the PA systems along with so many other things we take for granted in todays modern era .

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 20:04

The Greatest.

Ever.

f'n drugs...what a f'n waste. ugh.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 18, 2020 20:35

Jimi, the guy I call the greatest musician of them all, plus a beautiful soul (I believe). 50 years already passed, thanks to him for the amazing music and maybe even more important, the vibes. We were lucky to have him in my opinion.

Date: September 18, 2020 21:42

dcba
MisterDDDD
dcba

Who cares?

I do, and physically the Jimi of 1970 was quite different from the one of 1970. Therefore the rag's pic editors could have pulled their thumb out of their arse and find a proper contemporary picture.

In the old days you had to make phone calls... In 2020 it's as easy as clicking on a link... winking smiley

Fair enough. Hadn't noticed the caption stating it was '70
Apologies, you are right, the pic should have matched the caption, thought it was generic.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home