Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guitar or drum
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 13:50

Which is tougher to play? I feel guitar. In drums you just need to beat the skin hard. Like Keith he has to stand for hours which is tough for any human

Re: Guitar or drum
Date: September 11, 2020 13:53

Physically? Definitely drums.

And he's not really standing still all the time. He's also walking, running, bending and hopping about.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2020 14:01

Not that its got anything ta do
with ya question but when guys like
Napoleon went inta battle they had drummers ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 11, 2020 15:02

DandelionPowderman
Physically? Definitely drums.

And he's not really standing still all the time. He's also walking, running, bending and hopping about.

No wonder Bill quit...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 11, 2020 15:06

grinning smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 15:24

pftw04
Which is tougher to play? I feel guitar. In drums you just need to beat the skin hard. Like Keith he has to stand for hours which is tough for any human

If you think playing drums is just about "beating the skins hard", you don't have a clue about music.

There's a reason why Drums (and Bass) are called the engine or rhythm section of a band.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 15:48

Drums are easier to start off with as a beginner, at least in terms of "banging out" a beat.

To become accomplished at the instrument, both are as hard as each other. However, some people will find one or other easier to learn depending on their own talents.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 11, 2020 17:42

Reminds me of an old joke I (who plays guitar) like to tell my kid (who plays drums):

Q: What do you call the guys in front of the drummer?

A: Musicians.

I can say cost-wise, from buying my kid a couple of kits over the years for birthdays and Christmas...drums are expensive! And replacement heads. Of course you can always add a lot of peripherals to guitars, and depending on the guitar can get pretty expensive too, but I think drums beat the cost of guitar by a long shot. If that's a factor in your decision...

P.S. I'm not a very good guitar player but my kid has won jazz awards in high school so I must admit he's a much better musician that myself so takes my jokes as intended...jokes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 17:44 by kovach.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 11, 2020 19:01

Im sorry but this has to be the stupidest question of all time.

Date: September 11, 2020 19:43

Semi-related, I know there's a lot out there, but is there a preferred songbook by fans with music written out to learn Stones songs (or anyone else for that matter)?

Date: September 11, 2020 19:48

Cooltoplady

Ok that made me laugh! Kinda like asking if Elvis played guitar better than Neil Peart played drums, or if Jeff Beck played guitar better than they guy from Duran Duran played drums. It is pretty subjective! grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:47

kovach
Cooltoplady

Ok that made me laugh! Kinda like asking if Elvis played guitar better than Neil Peart played drums, or if Jeff Beck played guitar better than they guy from Duran Duran played drums. It is pretty subjective! grinning smiley

Depends if the drummer from Duran Duran hit the skins as hard as he could. I guess you have to stand up to do that or get a running start.

Date: September 11, 2020 21:49

pftw04

Let me guess....you have a desk job and work from home.

The 4 dimensions of physical activity include (1) mode or type of activity, (2) frequency of performing activity, (3) duration of performing activity, and (4) intensity of performing activity
Definition. The physical activity level can also be estimated based on a list of the (physical) activities a person performs from day to day. Each activity is connected to a number, the physical activity ratio. The physical activity level is then the time-weighted average of the physical activity ratios

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 21:55 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:03

sjs12
Drums are easier to start off with as a beginner, at least in terms of "banging out" a beat.

To become accomplished at the instrument, both are as hard as each other. However, some people will find one or other easier to learn depending on their own talents.

I think this is true. For drums, as long as you play in time it doesn't matter too much of you hit the snare, or the tom or the hi hat. With guitar, you have to have timing, and hit the right string/hold the right fret.

(I am talking about playing at a beginner level. I play both guitar and drums at what might generously be called an intermediate level)

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:30

I don't know what's harder to play. But you need some power. This 10 year old talent is playing drums AND guitar AND bass...
Enter Sandman

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:26

sjs12

This is about it.....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2020 04:06

pftw04

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Is water wetter when it's rain or an ocean? Well, you know, rain can come down really hard all over everywhere, the ocean is there all the time so it's the tougher accomplishment.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 12, 2020 04:17

Probably depends on what you have more of an aptitude for. It seems like for the most part you're either good at one or the other. Are there any well known drummer / guitarists ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 04:19 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2020 04:31

ryanpow
Probably depends on what you have more of an aptitude for. It seems like for the most part you're either good at one or the other. Are there any well known drummer / guitarists ?

Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl. Can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Date: September 12, 2020 05:31

Tab Benoit

Date: September 12, 2020 05:40

The Phantom lived by jungle drums ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2020 05:50

Jungle Jim too ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 12, 2020 06:33

GasLightStreet
ryanpow

Oh yeah, Dave Grohl, of course! I didn't realize Macca played drums too. He's quite talented, that fellow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 06:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 12, 2020 07:27

Which is more difficult? I don't know...how long is a piece of string? I'm a drummer. Yes, maybe a lot of people could whack a snare drum in time to a piece of music, but listening to any song will tell you that's not all there is to it. Take a relatively simple song like JJF. Your right foot is playing a particular pattern while your right hand is playing a different pattern and your left hand is playing yet another pattern. And suppose you want to do a little fill on the toms. Which hand do you start with? (Yes, it makes a difference.) And what about dynamics? It's not just bang! bang! bang! full strength all the time. (Thats why Charlie swings.) Can you do all that in time with the song and with the other guys in the band and make it all mesh? Can you do it faster? Slower? I often find that playing a slow song well is more of a challenge than the up-tempo stuff. I was in a wedding band that often got requests for Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. Yikes! Slow does not always mean easy. Not saying drums are "harder," only that there's a lot more going on than many people realize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 07:39 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: September 12, 2020 15:49

I play drums. Never took a lesson. I feel it like some ancestral calling. We all have a drum inside which we call heart. Its kind of natural to me. Never got the guitar right. They say drummers are the musicians best friends....

Date: September 12, 2020 16:52

GasLightStreet
ryanpow

Dave Grohl...you call that guitar playing?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 12, 2020 17:09

pftw04
In drums you just need to beat the skin hard.

It's unfitting to write that on IORR as Charlie Watts probably has the lightest touch of all the rock field. cool smiley

Date: September 12, 2020 23:34

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

Oh yeah, Dave Grohl, of course! I didn't realize Macca played drums too. He's quite talented, that fellow.

Back in The USSR, Ballad Of John and Ono, Dear Prudence. Come and Get It by Badfinger Nartha My Dear.......etc

Date: September 12, 2020 23:36

Cooltoplady
ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

Back in The USSR, Ballad Of John and Ono, Dear Prudence. Come and Get It by Badfinger Nartha My Dear.......etc

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 13, 2020 19:52

Cooltoplady
ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

I think John Lennon famously quipped when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, responded by saying he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home