Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dancing with Mr..DEE (aka "Four and In") ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2020 09:50

Thanks to the new "Experience" on www.rollingstones.com [experience.rollingstones.com] I think one of the mysterious outtakes of the GHS sessions has been identified : "Four and In" appears to be "Dancing with Mr D" !

Clues :
- Track Sheet : note "MR DEE" on Track 14 ! WTH is MR DEE anyway ?

- Index of Master Tape :

- Zoomed in :

One down, several to go :
"Give Us a Break" : 4:15
"Miami" (Hearbreaker ?) ?
After Muddy and Charly
First Thing
Jamaica

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 11:11 by gotdablouse.

Re: Dancing with Mr..DEE (aka "Four and In") ?
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 11, 2020 10:22

gotdablouse

One down, several to go :
"Give Us a Break" : 4:15
"Miami" (Hearbreaker ?) ?
After Muddy and Charly
First Thing
Jamaica

+

Men Eating Woman 1 (Instrumental, 10:52) & Short vocal version (3:54)...not the longer vocal version. (Sessions Jan-Mar '73, Village Recorder, LA,CA).

Zabadoo

Date: September 11, 2020 11:14

Yeah there are a few more but only "Give Us a Break" appears to have reached the mastering stage. I listened to "Fast Talking" but can't see any reason why it would have been called "Give Us a Break" unless Mick rewrote the lyrics completely. Suspiciously absent from the master reel is "Heartbreaker" but again, no hint of "Give Us a Break" in the lyrics and the timing does not match, but it could have been edited of course.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2020 19:05

gotdablouse
Yeah there are a few more but only "Give Us a Break" appears to have reached the mastering stage. I listened to "Fast Talking" but can't see any reason why it would have been called "Give Us a Break" unless Mick rewrote the lyrics completely. Suspiciously absent from the master reel is "Heartbreaker" but again, no hint of "Give Us a Break" in the lyrics and the timing does not match, but it could have been edited of course.

There were more than one master reel, seeing that Heartbreaker is on Master Reel 2.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 11, 2020 19:30

Yeah, I pointed this out. “First Thing” is Winter.

Give us a Break could be Tops maybe.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 11, 2020 19:32

Arghhhh
They ignored Separately on the deluxe...what a gorgeous instrumental that hopefully 2020 Mick vocals wouldn’t have altered...

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:20

I thought that “Four And In” was the alternate title to “Dancing In The Light” rather than to “Dancing With Mr. D”, is it not? Or am I mistaken?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2020 03:48

sf37
I thought that “Four And In” was the alternate title to “Dancing In The Light” rather than to “Dancing With Mr. D”, is it not? Or am I mistaken?

It's the working title of Dancing With Mr Dee.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 12, 2020 04:02

GasLightStreet
sf37

It's the working title of Dancing With Mr Dee.

Thanks for confirming, GasLightStreet, much appreciated.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 12, 2020 04:15

Love these session log pictures!! Hopefully there'll be more of them for the other albums for the new "Experience." Also just wondering, where has it been said that the title "Miami" is the working title for "Heartbreaker?"

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 14, 2020 06:52

TravelinMan

Where/how did you confirm this? Thanks.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 14, 2020 07:14

KevinM
TravelinMan

Where/how did you confirm this? Thanks.

The tape box above confirms it.

Though,really, what the title is referring to is that it was the first song they worked on for the session - the two Micks, before/without Keith present at the sessions.

Thus the title “First thing sans Keith” and Winter written next to it.

Date: September 14, 2020 12:19

sf37

It would seem that you are indeed mistaken based on the details and pictures I took the time to share in the first message. Another "clue" I suppose (re : the email fiasco in the Japan Bonus Tracks thread spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

--------------

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 14, 2020 12:52

Separately is such a beautiful song.Why they didn’t put it on the album in 1973is a surprise.And I don’t like what Mick Taylor did with it later when he released it. I thought he ruined it with his arrangement and lyrics.With respect to Dancing With Mr D, is that Keith on slide?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-14 13:11 by Taylor1.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 14, 2020 14:55

Taylor1
Separately is such a beautiful song.Why they didn’t put it on the album in 1973is a surprise.And I don’t like what Mick Taylor did with it later when he released it.

You just answered your own question I guess... If MT released it on a solo album it's probably because he wrote the vast majority of it.

Date: September 14, 2020 15:10

gotdablouse
sf37

It would seem that you are indeed mistaken based on the details and pictures I took the time to share in the first message. Another "clue" I suppose (re : the email fiasco in the Japan Bonus Tracks thread spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Where is that thread and what is the fiasco?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 14, 2020 15:24

dcba
Taylor1
Separately is such a beautiful song.Why they didn’t put it on the album in 1973is a surprise.And I don’t like what Mick Taylor did with it later when he released it.

You just answered your own question I guess... If MT released it on a solo album it's probably because he wrote the vast majority of it.

And because he has officially released it, I guess the song would be like a deal done, a Taylor solo tune, no matter deriving from Stones sessions. That said, it would be interesting to hear what would Jagger do with it. The same with "Leather Jacket". Lost opportunities. Great potential in both songs, and I also think they never actualized good enough in Taylor's hands.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-14 15:24 by Doxa.

Date: September 14, 2020 15:55

dcba
Taylor1

+ that the more we know about the track, the more likely it is that it stems from the IORR-sessions, and not from GHS.

Date: September 14, 2020 16:05

DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

+ that the more we know about the track, the more likely it is that it stems from the IORR-sessions, and not from GHS.

Why do you say that when its title is written on GHS tapes?

Taylor said Separately was written in the South of France with Richards. He didn’t say where it was recorded, but it features Hopkins playing piano and Jimmy Miller on percussion.

Date: September 14, 2020 16:25

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

Taylor said Separately was written in the South of France with Richards. He didn’t say where it was recorded, but it features Hopkins playing piano and Jimmy Miller on percussion.

There a debate going (scroll down), where Nico Zentgraf had some good arguments (imo) on why the recording more likely was from the IORR-sessions.

Earlier, it was speculated whether it stemmed from the Exile-sessions because of VideoJames's book. But Karnbach pointed out that there was an inaccuracy in the editing of his book - and that this was a mistake.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-14 16:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 14, 2020 17:14

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

There a debate going (scroll down), where Nico Zentgraf had some good arguments (imo) on why the recording more likely was from the IORR-sessions.

Earlier, it was speculated whether it stemmed from the Exile-sessions because of VideoJames's book. But Karnbach pointed out that there was an inaccuracy in the editing of his book - and that this was a mistake.

Link doesn't work.

The fact there are multiple sources for it being recorded in Jamaica (tape boxes, Dec. 1972 New Musical Express article), and Taylor himself saying Jimmy Miller played on it, doesn't make sense for it to be started in Munich.

Date: September 14, 2020 17:38

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

Link doesn't work.

The fact there are multiple sources for it being recorded in Jamaica (tape boxes, Dec. 1972 New Musical Express article), and Taylor himself saying Jimmy Miller played on it, doesn't make sense for it to be started in Munich.

My bad. I was talking about Fast Talking.

Date: September 14, 2020 17:51

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

Link doesn't work.

My bad. I was talking about Fast Talking.

Gotcha!

Now that I agree with. It very well could have stemmed from IORR and I was actually thinking that myself. They used Leslies on that album, and Taylor used similar effect pedals on Living in the Heart of Love and others.

Date: September 14, 2020 19:37

Doxa
dcba
Taylor1

And because he has officially released it, I guess the song would be like a deal done, a Taylor solo tune, no matter deriving from Stones sessions. That said, it would be interesting to hear what would Jagger do with it. The same with "Leather Jacket". Lost opportunities. Great potential in both songs, and I also think they never actualized good enough in Taylor's hands. I actually didn’t answer my own question. What I said was why wasn’t it put on Goats Head Soup in 1973.Jagger could have added lyrics and then it would have been a Jagger /Richards /Taylor song.Or left an instrumental as Taylor /Richard.Maybe it would have been on Black n Blue or a later albumhad Taylor not quit.

- Doxa

Date: September 14, 2020 19:48

Actually I didn’t answer my own question.My question was why wasn’t it put on Goats Head Soup in 1973 when Taylor was still in the band.Then Jagger could have added lyrics and it would have been a Jagger /Richards/Taylor song.Or it could have been left an instrumental and been credited to Richards /Taylor.Maybe at the time they felt they had too many slow songs for the album already.Maybe if Taylor hadn’t quit a year later they might have put it on a later album. Keith in an interview in 1974 when commenting onTony Scadutos book about Jagger said Brian never wrote a song , but he thought Mick Taylor had the makings of a great writer , and he and Mick were working with him on that.Its ironic that a few months later Taylor mayhave quit over writing credits.And in his solo career he didn’t write much good music

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 14, 2020 20:03

I listened to Dancing with Mr. D backwards and could not hear "Four and In". It was simply a nominated song title.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2020 03:13

on 45 RPM or 78 RPM ... ????

ROCKMAN

Date: June 29, 2022 08:20

“Give Us A Break” was probably the working title for Short & Curlies. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that two years ago!

Date: June 29, 2022 12:46

That makes sense, would explain why a song that was mastered for GHS and wasn't used didn't make it on the deluxe version.

--------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home