Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Diana Rigg RIP
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 10, 2020 22:05

Just read online that she passed at age 82 from cancer. Was a 60s icon as secret agent Emma Peel in The Avengers and most recently as Olenna Tyrell on Game of Thrones. Rest In Peace.

Dame Diana Rigg: Avengers, Bond and Game of Thrones actress dies at 82 (BBC News)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-13 13:19 by bv.

Re: OT: Diana Rigg RIP
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 10, 2020 22:17

I was a kid watching The Avengers in the 1960s and getting tingles looking at Diana Rig. RIP.

John Steed and Emma Peel, talk about a cool duo. They are both gone. Slipping away.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 10, 2020 22:25

I wasn't born when the Avengers were on but seen reruns. Natalie Dormer, who portrayed her daughter on GOT, actually looks like she could be her daughter!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 10, 2020 22:53

Loved the Avengers back in the 1960s. She was so cool and sexy. RIP Ms Rigg.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 10, 2020 23:26

She was a truly a great actress and extremely versatile in her acting performances.

R.I.P. Diana

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 10, 2020 23:29

Watched those Avengers episodes Saturday afternoons back in the late 60's when they were first shown in the US, couldnt have been more than 9 or 10 but Emma Peel really got my attention. What a woman! Safe travels Diana Rigg and say hello to Patrick Macnee when you get there!

Posted by: syndy ()
Date: September 10, 2020 23:59

She was a one of my childhood icons with Patrick Macnee. She was the first women that I have seen in Tv, who never was frightend and didn't scream all the time. A real gem of the swinging 60's.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 11, 2020 00:33

She was fabulous

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 11, 2020 00:57

Braincapers
She was fabulous

Yes she was! RIP Diana Rigg.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 11, 2020 01:22

Now thats funny.....

“I used to get a lot of odd fan mail, but my mum enjoyed replying to it. She'd tell overexcited teenage boys, 'My daughter's too old for you. What you need is a run around the block.'"

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 11, 2020 01:36

A truly great and memorable no-nonsense lady RIP.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 11, 2020 02:31

The headlines calling Diana a "Game of Thrones Star" are written by young people with no clue of the impact she made playing Emma Peel in The Avengers.

Here is a Wikipedia entry on Wonder Woman, which cites the characters' 1968 non-super-powered era, which was influenced by....Diana Rigg as Emma Peel!

In 1968, under the guidance of scripter Denny O'Neil and editor/plotter/artist Mike Sekowsky,[16] Wonder Woman surrendered her powers to remain in "Man's World" rather than accompany her fellow Amazons to another dimension where they could "restore their magic" (part of her motivation was to assist Steve Trevor, who was facing criminal charges).

This new era of the comic book was influenced by the British television series The Avengers, with Wonder Woman in the role of Emma Peel.[17] With Diana Prince running a boutique, fighting crime, and acting in concert with private detective allies Tim Trench and Jonny Double, the character resembled the Golden Age Black Canary. Soon after the launch of the "new" Wonder Woman, the editors severed all connections to her old life, most notably by killing Steve Trevor.
[18]

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 11, 2020 02:36

RIP Ms. Rigg

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: September 11, 2020 03:44

A beautiful talented woman

Date: September 11, 2020 05:07

A flashbacK: She starred in a BBC miniseries called "Mother Love" which was shown on PBS here in the U-S-of-A back in 1989. Really good, really creepy. A friend of ours told us it reminded him of his own mom. She was Mrs Peel but so much more.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 11, 2020 13:32

R.I.P. Loved her performance as the Bond Lady ( Thereza ) in On Her Majesty's Secret Service 1969

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 11, 2020 17:36

Emma Peel, fantastic character, so well-portrayed by the gorgeous and talented Diana Riggs. RIP.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 11, 2020 18:07

It's amazing how many of the online tributes I've seen, presumably written by people much younger than myself, mention only GOT in the headline. I guess you have to be around my age (sixty-one) to know what she's really famous for.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 11, 2020 18:17

loog droog

The headlines calling Diana a "Game of Thrones Star" are written by young people with no clue of the impact she made playing Emma Peel in The Avengers.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this. You mention "Avengers" to anyone under fifty, and they may remember the disastrous 1998 Uma Thurman film, but certainly not the 1960s TV show. And it's far more likely that when they think "Avengers" it's only the Marvel Comics franchise that comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 18:20 by tatters.

Date: September 11, 2020 18:34

Somebodies did a tribute to Mrs Peel/Ms Rigg on utoob.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 12, 2020 11:02

dmay
Somebodies did a tribute to Mrs Peel/Ms Rigg on utoob.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 12, 2020 13:27

Don't forget, guys, she was brilliant in the theatre. Her Medea by Euripides was brilliant. I saw it when I was doing my Classics degree, and she was amazing.

She also appeared in a great Dr Who with her daughter, Rachael Stirling, highlighting that talent, in some instances, is genetic.

Also, not forgetting a throughly underrated film, from the 1970s, Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price. Both Price and Rigg own the film.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home