Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. New Ready Steady Go book by Andy Neill.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 9, 2020 17:52

I know a couple of RSG and 60's music fans who got this book in the last week.

I was only 11 years old when I first saw RSG ,but it's had an everlasting memory that was great to watch live TV and for all us youngsters mainly.thumbs up

On early every Friday evening when The Stones,The Who,The Beatles,Tamla Motown acts ,James Brown Special, Otis Redding Special and so much more between August 1963 and December 1966.

Otis Redding starting off with................'Satisfaction'.

Both friends who have got the book are well pleased with it and was over £40 but you can get it on Amazon and others for just over £27 now.
A couple of reviews here.
Going to order mine this afternoon. thumbs up

New Ready Steady Go Book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-10 00:13 by crawdaddy.

Re: O.T. New Ready Steady Go book by Andy Neill.
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 10, 2020 01:14

It's impossible to overstate the influence RSG! had on the music scene in the UK in the early 1960's!

If you want to understand the background of bands like The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Animals, The Small Faces, etc etc then you have to learn about RSG!

It also gave a huge number of artists from the USA (Motown, Stax, etc) very significant exposure in the UK.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 10, 2020 01:58

The Rolling Stones on Ready Steady Go. thumbs up

Great to see the nice Brian in the short interview, and also Stu a few times in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-10 17:48 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 10, 2020 08:47

"The weekend starts here!" I adored that show. Thanks for posting this, will definitely get the book.

Date: September 10, 2020 17:34

For anyone interested there is a great FaceBook Group for RSG with a lot of stuff about the new book.
It's a closed group to members only.
Vicki Wickham who was working on RSG right from the start contributes on some of the posts I have noticed.

RSG Facebook Group

Can't wait to get my book in the post. smileys with beer

Date: September 19, 2020 15:22

Cannot praise this book high enough.
Absolutely superb in every way.
Just over £26 now from Amazon and many other places. smileys with beer

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 20, 2020 00:31

Ready Steady Go! and The Old Grey Whistle Test. Probably the two greatest music television programmes of all time.

Date: September 20, 2020 02:12

Big Al
Ready Steady Go! and The Old Grey Whistle Test. Probably the two greatest music television programmes of all time.

Definitely . smileys with beer

Date: September 20, 2020 02:19

crawdaddy
Big Al

Definitely . smileys with beer

The Tube (also a Vicki Wickham thing) was also pretty darned good.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 20, 2020 18:28

Yes! Vicki Wickham is one of the very few of 60's production staff still around.

Of course she was also manager of Dusty Springfield since her very early days as a solo performer.

Dusty was almost a regular on RSG if my memory is correct.

My all time favourite British/Irish female singer. thumbs up

Date: September 21, 2020 01:24

crawdaddy
Yes! Vicki Wickham is one of the very few of 60's production staff still around.

Of course she was also manager of Dusty Springfield since her very early days as a solo performer.
Are you saying that while she was producing RSG! that she was also, at the same time, managing Dusty?

I hope not, 'cos that would be seriously inappropriate!

And I write that as a great fan of RSG! and of Dusty.

Dusty had a better repertoire, and lasted longer, but hearing a Helen Shapiro track played over the sound system inside Studio 2 at Abbey Road was a revelation on the quality of Helen's singing voice!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 21, 2020 03:45

I guess this eas already posted but it's very worth re-posting it here.

The Story of Ready Steady Go! - BBC documentary

Very enjoyable documentary with lots of great stories from that era. I love what Michael Lindsay-Hogg says about Paint it Black. More details: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: September 21, 2020 05:04

Cristiano Radtke
I guess this eas already posted but it's very worth re-posting it here.

The Story of Ready Steady Go! - BBC documentary

Very enjoyable documentary with lots of great stories from that era. I love what Michael Lindsay-Hogg says about Paint it Black. More details: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Music TV at its very best!

Personally (with my tongue only partly in my cheek) I reckon that watching that programme should be mandatory for everyone on IORR. To better understand the formative years of The Rolling Stones.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 22, 2020 02:52

CaptainCorella
crawdaddy

Are you saying that while she was producing RSG! that she was also, at the same time, managing Dusty?

I hope not, 'cos that would be seriously inappropriate!

And I write that as a great fan of RSG! and of Dusty.

Dusty had a better repertoire, and lasted longer, but hearing a Helen Shapiro track played over the sound system inside Studio 2 at Abbey Road was a revelation on the quality of Helen's singing voice!

I must admit that after my post about Vicki,I assumed from reading about her that she was manager since the early days , but in this article about Dusty the Musical,it seems she was manager after 1986.
I had missed that show somehow,and would have loved to see it on stage.

Vicki Wickham

Yes! Helen Shapiro was another really good U.K. female singer in the 60's alongside Lulu, Cilla, Sandie Shaw, PP Arnold ( who I always think of as U.K.),and a few more.
Great Days for live music on TV and playing small venues all over the U.K. smileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2020 17:03

I've got a feeling this is the only colour clip of RSG.......... with The Zephyrs playing.
Cathy McGowan and Patrick Kerr dancing away as well.

Comes from a BBC documentary I think.

Shame no colour footage, (as far as I know), of the big name bands and artists who performed on RSG, but plenty of black and white stuff thankfully. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-22 17:09 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2020 18:19

David Bowie and Rod Stewart both performed on RSG!, as did the Beck/Page Yardbirds lineup. It's such a shame so much was wiped. I believe the Jimi Hendrix Experience - their television debut - appeared on the last-ever episode in December 1966.

Date: October 3, 2020 00:14

I have had my first really good look through this great book today as the weather here in S.W. London has been crap with rain ,wind and cold all day long.

Received it a few days ago and a bargain with an e-bay £5 voucher bringing the price down to £21.

Received the book within 5 days from the on line bookshop on e-bay and it is so much more than I was expecting.

Info I found out was that The Birds with Ronnie Wood, played in a talent spin off called Ready Steady Win 29/06/1964 playing 'You're on my mind'.................... but didn't win.

Also David Bowie playing RSG on 04/03/ 1966 and Jimi Hendrix 16/12/1966, just a couple of dates before RSG finished altogether.

The Artwoods played on RSG three times in the early days.

So much in this great book that I have only just looked at the surface............and there is so much more to see.

I probably appreciate RSG more , as I was 11 years old when it started in 1963 and 14 years old when it was all over on December 23rd 1966..........just a few days before I turned 15. smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 3, 2020 00:20

crawdaddy

Shame no colour footage, (as far as I know), of the big name bands and artists who performed on RSG, but plenty of black and white stuff thankfully. thumbs up

In a way that's appropriate because in those days most families I knew, including mine, didn't own a color TV, so I only ever saw RSG in black and white and that's how I'll always remember it.

Date: October 3, 2020 01:16

crawdaddy

Info I found out was that The Birds with Ronnie Wood, played in a talent spin off called Ready Steady Win 29/06/1964 playing 'You're on my mind'.................... but didn't win.

Interesting... I had no idea about that. There is actually a RSW album that I'll have to find and dig out to see if he's on it.

Strangely some lads from my school, one of whom I knew quite well, were on RSW and won their heats and (their account) decided to 'throw' the final as they didn't want to become professional musicians. ("The guitar's alright as a hobby but you'll never make a living at it")

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 3, 2020 01:19

Aquamarine
crawdaddy

In a way that's appropriate because in those days most families I knew, including mine, didn't own a color TV, so I only ever saw RSG in black and white and that's how I'll always remember it.

RSG largely, not totally, preceded the broadcasting of television in colour in the UK.

(I first saw a colour TV in a school organised tour of a factory in London. My impression of it was greatly affected by the fact that when, at the end of the tour, the guide turned on the demonstration model.... and it burst into flames!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 3, 2020 17:26

I can remember RSG so well as when it ended in 1966 I was working Saturdays and school holidays in Sainsburys new supermarket in Kingston.
Main topic of conversation with all us youngsters working there was who were playing on RSG the night before.

I remember so well the James Brown special ,which sadly is not one of the nine saved programmes out of 173 episodes and four specials.
It seemed so strange to see this guy singing his great songs and collapsing on the floor and being helped up by members of The Famous Flames.

The Sound of Motown special was also saved, and I can remember our dear Mum taking us kids to see the same acts at the ABC cinema, Kingston when they were on tour in March 1965 .
I remember watching Ready Steady Win now and then ,as it lasted for 12 weeks.
I remember The Bo Street Runners winning the Final and not a lot was heard from them after that.

Date: October 4, 2020 07:31

crawdaddy
I remember watching Ready Steady Win now and then ,as it lasted for 12 weeks.
I remember The Bo Street Runners winning the Final and not a lot was heard from them after that.

My friends were in The Thyrds.

The RSW! album (mine's a 80's reissue) relates that the membership of the Bo Street Runners was fluid. All sorts of people passed through... including Mick Fleetwood!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 28, 2020 23:31

crawdaddy
I know a couple of RSG and 60's music fans who got this book in the last week.

I was only 11 years old when I first saw RSG ,but it's had an everlasting memory that was great to watch live TV and for all us youngsters mainly.thumbs up

On early every Friday evening when The Stones,The Who,The Beatles,Tamla Motown acts ,James Brown Special, Otis Redding Special and so much more between August 1963 and December 1966.

Otis Redding starting off with................'Satisfaction'.

Both friends who have got the book are well pleased with it and was over £40 but you can get it on Amazon and others for just over £27 now.
A couple of reviews here.
Going to order mine this afternoon. thumbs up

New Ready Steady Go Book.

Santa was kind enough to give me this book.

Brilliant stuff, and I can't recommend it sufficiently highly. Importantly gives credit to the relationship between the show and The Stones.

Very well written and researched.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 29, 2020 16:48

I got this book for a friend who I knew would really love it.
I bought it myself back in September and feel I still have only scratched the surface of what it contains.
I reckon I saw 90% of all the RSG programs, missing only the ones where our family had our yearly fortnight holiday, usually on the Sussex coast.

I can still vividly remember the Specials they had on James Brown, Otis Redding, The Stones and the Tamla Motown Special.

Great Days when I was aged 11 to 14 years old.thumbs up

Date: December 29, 2020 22:44

crawdaddy
I got this book for a friend who I knew would really love it.
I bought it myself back in September and feel I still have only scratched the surface of what it contains.
I reckon I saw 90% of all the RSG programs, missing only the ones where our family had our yearly fortnight holiday, usually on the Sussex coast.

I can still vividly remember the Specials they had on James Brown, Otis Redding, The Stones and the Tamla Motown Special.

Great Days when I was aged 11 to 14 years old.thumbs up

Indeed. About the only time it has been appropriate to describe a (mere) TV show as EXCITING!

For those who do not know what happened after ATV stopped the show... The video tapes were stored (yay! better than the BBC, long story). Then they were going to be destroyed and Dave Clarke (of the 5) to his immense credit (I have to admit) bought them all.

He then started to release chopped up versions of the shows - always featuring his band looking as if they had had a special slot in the middle. Sad fiction.

More recently the ownership has changed hands, and it's my greatest desire for the new owners to simply release uncut shows 'as is'. That really would be fantastic.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 5, 2021 11:40

It's a great book. Highly recommended.

Date: May 5, 2021 16:29

Just come across this lengthy interview with Andy Neill who put this together and is a nice addition to anyone who bought the book.
He gives a great insight as to what it was like in the making of RSG.

Also the area of London it was made in as well as the various people involved with the program.

Still loads of stuff in the book I haven't read yet and so glad I got it. smileys with beer

Date: May 5, 2021 19:24

I bought the book a couple of months ago. It's amazing! Well worth checking out.

Date: May 6, 2021 02:14

Thanks for posting Tina.

I'm not sure Ike and Tina's performance on RSG was saved, as I can't see it anywhere, but it's a memory I still have from back then.smileys with beer

[www.the-world-of-tina.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home