Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Meet Session Superstar Nicky Hopkins
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: September 16, 2020 22:49

MisterDDDD
Nicky Hopkins deserves to be in the HOF (who do we petition cool smiley)
Don't pay too much attention to it, but found this from 2000, where he should have been included in the new category.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Gives Five Unsung Sidemen Their Due

Odds are the names James Jamerson, Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, Scotty Moore and Curtis Ousley would be identified correctly on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” by only the most studious rock aficionado.

But it’s a lock that anyone who has listened to pop music in the last 45 years has heard them play. Repeatedly.

These five musicians performed on hundreds of the biggest hits of the rock era behind Elvis Presley, the Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Little Richard, Fats Domino and dozens more.

Their contributions to rock are staggering, but they’ve received only a fraction of the recognition heaped on the star performers they backed.

That’s why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year added a new inductee category called Sidemen. Blaine, Palmer and Moore, who was not only Presley’s original guitarist but also his first manager, plan to be on hand tonight at the Waldorf Astoria in New York for their inductions into the new wing, while honors will be given posthumously to Ousley--better known as saxophonist King Curtis--and Jamerson.

“We finally have a vehicle where we can recognize the musicians who have probably played on more of the songs people are familiar with than the stars themselves,” said Terry Stewart, president and chief executive of the Cleveland-based Hall of Fame. “The parts you remember--the hooks, the riffs, the starts, the finishes--were created in their heads.
[www.latimes.com]

Also this from Wiki-
"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, established in 1983 and located in Cleveland, Ohio, United States, is dedicated to recording the history of some of the best-known and most influential musicians, bands, producers, and others that have in some major way influenced the music industry, particularly in the area of rock and roll.[1] Originally, there were four categories of induction: performers, non-performers, early influences, and lifetime achievement. In 2000, "sidemen" was introduced as a category.

The only category that has seen new inductees every single year is the performers category. Artists become eligible for induction in that category 25 years after the release of their first record.[2] In order to be inducted, an artist must be nominated by a committee that selects a number of candidates, the highest being 16 for the 2020 class."
[en.wikipedia.org]

Hal Blaine is easily a Top 10 drummer for me from Wiki: "Blaine is reputed to have played on more than 140 top-ten hits, including approximately 40 number-one hits."

A good friend of mine (40yrs old) is a drummer (the last 30 yrs), but not by trade, Stones are his favorite band (seen them 12x etc). Been in multiple bands etc. Yet he'd never heard of Hal Blaine. Hal Blaine's work on The Ronettes 'By My Baby' is what hooked me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-16 22:51 by KevinM.

Date: September 22, 2020 20:27

loog droog
Overlooked so far is his epic piano on Sympathy For The Devil.

(Take a moment to reflect on that)

thumbs up

On the original the only guitar is Keith's solo.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 23, 2020 01:36

The piano has always been a crucial element in the Stones performances and catalogue. I often think that without their various piano/keyboard players (most notably Ian Stewart and Nicky Hopkins but Ian McLagan was right up there too), their songs would not sound half as enticing. It has always been the secret ingredient that moves their music along.

jb

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 24, 2020 10:56

It'd be fascinating to glance over, at least, a semi-comprehensive list of Nicky Hopkins' session credits. I know that many of those he participated in during the late-60's and 1970's are quite well-documented, but what about the early-to-mid 60's. His participation during the Who's My Generation and Kink's Face to Face sessions - Between the Buttons, too! - is very well known, but what else? What top-10 singles feature his piano-playing, etc?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 24, 2020 16:09

Not sure how comprehensive this list is, lists 182 credits going back to '64.
[rateyourmusic.com]

Good article w video of 15 classics he played on..
15 Rock Classics Improved by Nicky Hopkins
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2020 10:37

MisterDDDD
Not sure how comprehensive this list is, lists 182 credits going back to '64.
[rateyourmusic.com]

Good article w video of 15 classics he played on..
15 Rock Classics Improved by Nicky Hopkins
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Thank you, MisterDDD! thumbs up

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 26, 2020 14:49

Elmo Lewis
timbernardis
what is Crohn's disease?

plexi

A digestive issue.

Google it.

So he died because he couldn't digest anchovies?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 26, 2020 14:51

Was his autobiography ever published in any form or fashion?

plexi

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home