Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which Song Would You Cut/Replace...and for Which?
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 27, 2020 19:48

Swayed1967
I would take a Tattoo You approach to transforming this album - a rockin' side and a softer side.

1. Criss Cross - Baffles the hell out of me to this day that Mick and/or Keith thought Mr. D worthy of opening the album...
2. All The Rage - Probably the weakest of the new releases but Mr. D and Can You Hear The Music are abominations...
3. Star Star- This has always been a song in need of a fig leaf - let's hide it in the middle of the first side...
4. Hide Your Love (Alternate version)- Wow. This and Mr. D were always my first cuts when doctoring this record but the new version is magnificent - highlight of the record...
5. Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - Could've ditched the doo doos but kept the parenthesis by retitling this Heartbreaker (Black Lives Matter)...
6. Scarlet - My favorite of the new releases even though it drips blood in a few places - that chorus and Jagger's breathy delivery gives me chicken skin...
7. 100 Years Ago - Piano version of course but with Taylor’s solo etc. tacked on at the end)
8. Angie - no comments needed for these last three classic ballads...
9. Coming Down Again
10. Winter

You have a nice flow here but it's not GHS. Like you say, more like a Tattoo You.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 27, 2020 20:49

While Coming Down Again sounds like what it is - a junkie ballad from a guy too wasted to care, people who matter (the Stones) deemed it worthy to be on GHS back when. I wish they had put Chris Cross Man on GHS instead of CDA, but they didn't ask me. (Imagine that?)

As for All the Rage, it's no more a GHS song that the Exile "remake" trax like Plundered and Dancing in the Light and Follow the River. It's Mick Jagger solo overdubbing on studio instrumental pieces from 1972-1973. Sorry, not the Stones of 1972-1973 taking the idea into song-hood. Listen to Mick's vox for ggodness sake. Does it even sound like him in 1973? No. All the Rage is a fun ditty, but, despite its commercial-move inclusion by Mick in the GHS Deluxe, I won't desecrate GHS by even associating it with the LP. Has anyone heard the instrumental of it?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2020 19:45

stonesstein
While Coming Down Again sounds like what it is - a junkie ballad from a guy too wasted to care, people who matter (the Stones) deemed it worthy to be on GHS back when. I wish they had put Chris Cross Man on GHS instead of CDA, but they didn't ask me. (Imagine that?)

As for All the Rage, it's no more a GHS song that the Exile "remake" trax like Plundered and Dancing in the Light and Follow the River. It's Mick Jagger solo overdubbing on studio instrumental pieces from 1972-1973. Sorry, not the Stones of 1972-1973 taking the idea into song-hood. Listen to Mick's vox for ggodness sake. Does it even sound like him in 1973? No. All the Rage is a fun ditty, but, despite its commercial-move inclusion by Mick in the GHS Deluxe, I won't desecrate GHS by even associating it with the LP. Has anyone heard the instrumental of it?

To me "Coming Down Again" is one of the three best Stones songs ever that feature Keith as vocalist. The other two are "You Got the Silver" and "All About You".

I belong to those who consider that this song captures a certain lethargy in the band after having fulfilled the four preceding studio albums.

As such "Coming Down Again" is the key song to all that GOATS HEAD SOUP embodies.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 28, 2020 20:04

Witness
To me "Coming Down Again" is one of the three best Stones songs ever that feature Keith as vocalist.
[...]
As such "Coming Down Again" is the key song to all that GOATS HEAD SOUP embodies.

It's not only you. Heck, it's even in the top 2 "Richards" for me.

Date: September 28, 2020 20:20

stonesstein

Too wasted to care? I hear a heartfelt performance - a beautiful song.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 28, 2020 20:26

DandelionPowderman
stonesstein

Too wasted to care? I hear a heartfelt performance - a beautiful song.

Same.
Beautiful, and fit perfectly with the album and the times.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 28, 2020 20:39

Nobody puts CDA in a corner...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 28, 2020 20:41

Would have been nice if Keith was asked about Coming Down Again for the deluxe release. Was that also a Swiss hospital song?? Drying out can bring more introspective stuff IMO. Interesting Jagger's take on unfinished songs for deluxe versions like All The Rage and adding new lyrics. To be 77 and bang them out is a borderline miracle, the man is amazing...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 30, 2020 07:06

exilestones
... everyone is cutting Silver Train! I love Silver Train. I know it's not really soupy.

Anyone cutting Silver Train is nuts, it kicks serious arse!

Per the topic, I'd leave it as is. The new songs are great to have but you can't mess w/ my Goats Head Soup, sorry!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 07:27

stonesstein

This is a GREAT statement. CDA is the backbone of GOATS HEAD SOUP.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 1, 2020 15:04

Rolling Stone Interview from 9/6:

RS: "Do you remember how you wrote "Coming Down Again?"
KR: (Laughs) "Let's say that it speaks for itself"

That's that...lol

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 1, 2020 16:35

The only songs that were finished were Criss Cross and Through The Lonely Nights. I think the weakest song on GHS is Can You Hear The Music, BUT I actually find that much improved with the flute solo. It gives the song a memorable character, rather than a meandering song trying to find itself.

You could replace Silver Train (keep it as a b-side) with Criss Cross, without upsetting the Apple cart too much. It would make the album even more funky, which maybe they were hesitant to do because it already seems really funky for them.

Funk rock: Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago, Criss Cross

Blues rock: Mr D, Hide Your Love, Silver Train, Star Star

Ballads: Coming Down, Angie, Winter, Lonely Nights

Etc.: Hear the Music

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 1, 2020 16:41

GasLightStreet
Dancing With Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Criss Cross
Angie
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear The Music
All The Rage
Short And Curlies
Star Star

Short and Curlies??? Good grief. One of the Stones worst ever songs. Absolute crap.

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2020 02:12

Short and Curlies ..... Nicki Minaj should do a version of it

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home