Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Tracktalk: All the Rage
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 5, 2020 23:57

Rockman is the oracle, as usual.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2020 00:17

I know all the bad chicks .... hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2020 00:26

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Semi- decent tune musically, though a bit cliche - sounds like a band trying to sound like the Stones...almost a like a weird tribute band that have written their own "original" tune.
Overall prefer the bootleg version, but never liked it much either - that and this new version sounds like something that even the inferior Georgia Satellites or Black Crowes would have rejected.
And have to say, it's hard to get past Mick's silly and annoying vocals...sounds like a goose squawking...cartoonesque...high-pitched...like someone imitating/mocking Jagger.
In contrast, his new vocals on Criss Cross and Scarlet - however little may have been added - are way more subtle and even undetectable. Great job on those!
Can see why this tune was forgotten about, why they didn't pre-release like they did with Criss Cross and Scarlet, and why they didn't waste time with remixes.
Video is decent w/the vintage footage, but a bit spastic w/the lyrics, and these types of videos sort of get old fast anyways - watching once was enough.

In order of preference:

Criss Cross = A+ or a 10
Scarlet (single mix) - C or a 5
All the Rage - I (as in incomplete) or a 1

My memory might be failing me, but didn't you say "I love everything about it" when I said it didn't really take off after the fantastic intro.

Anyways, I like it better with the new vocals.

No your memory is OK, but I said "I like everything about it" and was referring specifically to the intro of the bootleg - either I was unclear or you misinterpreted - maybe a bit of both.
The rest of the tune was always sort of average imo (especially when compared to the superior Criss Cross), and now hearing the updated version, it's really anticlimactic - easily my least favorite of the revived leftovers.
Funny now to hear Mick say (to paraphrase) - "they're all good and could have been on the album", and then in another interview (when reminded of saying GHS was more focused than Exile back in the day), he replies:
“I say stupid things like that when I’m promoting albums...You gotta take that with a pinch of salt.” I'd have to think the "they're all good and could have been on the album" is also one of those stupid comments.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: September 6, 2020 05:22

Can't help wonder if Jagger, having Jimmy Page onboard for GHS 2020's Scarlet, was in a STAR STAR 1978 mindset when he titled this contained track:

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage
I could not see the reason why
If I ever make it back to fun city girl
I'll make you jump all night

[youtu.be]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-06 06:24 by muffie.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 6, 2020 13:53

Hairball
Semi- decent tune musically, though a bit cliche - sounds like a band trying to sound like the Stones...almost a like a weird tribute band that have written their own "original" tune.
Overall prefer the bootleg version, but never liked it much either - that and this new version sounds like something that even the inferior Georgia Satellites or Black Crowes would have rejected.
And have to say, it's hard to get past Mick's silly and annoying vocals...sounds like a goose squawking...cartoonesque...high-pitched...like someone imitating/mocking Jagger.
In contrast, his new vocals on Criss Cross and Scarlet - however little may have been added - are way more subtle and even undetectable. Great job on those!
Can see why this tune was forgotten about, why they didn't pre-release like they did with Criss Cross and Scarlet, and why they didn't waste time with remixes.
Video is decent w/the vintage footage, but a bit spastic w/the lyrics, and these types of videos sort of get old fast anyways - watching once was enough.

In order of preference:

Criss Cross = A+ or a 10
Scarlet (single mix) - C or a 5
All the Rage - I (as in incomplete) or a 1

I agree, though I'd probably be a little more generous w/ All the Rage and give it a 6....

It does seem "incomplete" (good word choice)...it sounds like 3 different songs patched-together to me....a Brown Sugar-esque intro w/ lyrics/chorus that don't jive as well as they should....I like it, but it's wonky.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 6, 2020 17:11

Love it. Shades of Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: September 6, 2020 18:43

Several reviews describe it as Brown Sugar-éduqué. I really don't hear BS at all... Criss Cross' riff is similar to BS, that's true. Actually, ATR belongs to the Good Time Women/All Down the Line (alternate bonus take) family : straight rock'n'rollers

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 7, 2020 05:53

Love it.
A little slutty, a little nutty.
Catchy little rocker.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: September 7, 2020 08:04

Not a bad song I think there's other outtakes that are better that could've been used like the classic Travelin man' from the Exile sessions. It sounds a bit like the Faces.

I noticed in the video at 2:40 minutes in there's a great side shot from their 1973 show at Kooyong in Melb. I was too young to go, greatest regret of my life but I've since made up for it with 13 Stones gigs in 3 countries!
The Stones did attend a party in Melbourne in the same street as where my wife grew up.

Rockman will no doubt remember the hot days of the weekend.....!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: September 7, 2020 08:15

Rockman will no doubt remember the hot days of the weekend.....!

Heck yeah .... three shows in two days ....
temp was like somewhere around 40-42c ( 104 Fahrenheit ) that weekend ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 7, 2020 11:06

muffie
Can't help wonder if Jagger, having Jimmy Page onboard for GHS 2020's Scarlet, was in a STAR STAR 1978 mindset when he titled this contained track:

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage

[youtu.be]

IIRC, on some of the 1975 versions of Starf-cker, Jagger sang it as "Jimmy Page was quite a rage/I wish he'd stop messing with my wife"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2020 21:53

Rip This
treaclefingers
Love it! Channeling the New York Dolls?

.. Both this one and Criss Cross...the NYD force is strong here.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 7, 2020 22:30

muffie

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage

[youtu.be]

Weren't the words "all the rage" in the bootleg version, titled "You Should Have Seen Her Ass"?

Date: September 7, 2020 22:35

ab
muffie

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage

[youtu.be]

IIRC, on some of the 1975 versions of Starf-cker, Jagger sang it as "Jimmy Page was quite a rage/I wish he'd stop messing with my wife"

On LA Friday, wasn't it?

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: September 8, 2020 01:47

I can hear Mott The Hoople covering this. Ian Hunter could sing the crap out of this. Perfect.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 8, 2020 07:05

Topi
muffie

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage

[youtu.be]

Weren't the words "all the rage" in the bootleg version, titled "You Should Have Seen Her Ass"?

Yes. It’s in there a few times once you know what you’re listening for.

Instead of singing about her ass, Jagger just decided to put it in the Criss Cross video for all to see.

Date: September 8, 2020 07:26

Butt she's so cute travelinman ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2020 11:13

guezeg
Several reviews describe it as Brown Sugar-éduqué. I really don't hear BS at all... Criss Cross' riff is similar to BS, that's true. Actually, ATR belongs to the Good Time Women/All Down the Line (alternate bonus take) family : straight rock'n'rollers

I think a classical Stones sound is defined by "JJ Flash", "Honky Tonk Women" and "Brown Sugar", so if one notices something familiar - Stones sounding like Stones - that is to be explained by picking up some of those three songs. True experts, of course, see more nuances and variations... winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 11:13 by Doxa.

Date: September 8, 2020 12:14

<Criss Cross' riff is similar to BS, that's true>

How?

What's similar to Brown Sugar (and All Down The Line) is what Keith does on the verses. It's similar to the guitar playing on the verses in those songs, not the opening riffs.

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: September 8, 2020 14:25

I totally dig "You Should Have Seen Her Ass" (some of the riffing foreshadows "Little & A"), and was hoping to have a clean mix of it on GHS deluxe. But once again Mick can't leave well enough alone, and on "All the Rage" he overdubs his contemporary vocals which totally SUCK if you ask me. Same as on "Do You Think I Really Care" from Some Girls, or "Pass the Wine" from Exile... I'd much rather he leave his original, soulful, scratch vocals -- or simply release an instrumental mix -- than add his nasal, overwrought singing that he's been doing for decades now. It's bad enough that the Stones don't make good, new music anymore, but even worse when they take old gems and ruin them. Harrumph!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 8, 2020 15:54

TravelinMan
Topi
muffie

Jimmy Page
Is Quite A Rage

[youtu.be]

Yes. It’s in there a few times once you know what you’re listening for.

Instead of singing about her ass, Jagger just decided to put it in the Criss Cross video for all to see.

Also, Jimmy's daughter is named Scarlett

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:26

DandelionPowderman

How?

What's similar to Brown Sugar (and All Down The Line) is what Keith does on the verses. It's similar to the guitar playing on the verses in those songs, not the opening riffs.

I always found that funny. All that means is that Keith hammers on the fourths ala Brown Sugar. It doesn't actually sound like Brown Sugar, just that style of riffing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:50

ShootsWaterRats
I totally dig "You Should Have Seen Her Ass" (some of the riffing foreshadows "Little & A"), and was hoping to have a clean mix of it on GHS deluxe. But once again Mick can't leave well enough alone, and on "All the Rage" he overdubs his contemporary vocals which totally SUCK if you ask me. Same as on "Do You Think I Really Care" from Some Girls, or "Pass the Wine" from Exile... I'd much rather he leave his original, soulful, scratch vocals -- or simply release an instrumental mix -- than add his nasal, overwrought singing that he's been doing for decades now. It's bad enough that the Stones don't make good, new music anymore, but even worse when they take old gems and ruin them. Harrumph!

In this case, an instrumental version might have been the right call. thumbs up

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 8, 2020 20:07

KRiffhard
I think that on this reissue Mick has done a great job! I really like his voice on 'Scarlet' outro, the little addition on Criss Cross ("Back to back, back and front
Head to head...") and the whole "All the Rage" performance.
I was afraid that he would use too Clean vocals and nasal voice...but this time he didn’t!!!

need help
i have this one for yeras somehwere on one of those billion boots (can not remember where) but under a different name

Date: September 8, 2020 21:01

Dorn
KRiffhard
I think that on this reissue Mick has done a great job! I really like his voice on 'Scarlet' outro, the little addition on Criss Cross ("Back to back, back and front
Head to head...") and the whole "All the Rage" performance.
I was afraid that he would use too Clean vocals and nasal voice...but this time he didn’t!!!

need help
i have this one for yeras somehwere on one of those billion boots (can not remember where) but under a different name

Different names:

Criss Cross: Criss Cross Mind/Criss Cross Man/Save Me
All The Rage: You Should Have Seen Her Ass

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 8, 2020 23:41

DandelionPowderman
Dorn

need help

Different names:

yes, that´s it, tks

what a boring new title, what boring lyrics.
they should have kept the title, kept the lyrics - added some verse(s) - cleaned up / improved the sound - and that´s it
that´s how they were back than, in the early 70´s, no reason to deny it, forget about "political correctness"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 9, 2020 03:18

Dorn
DandelionPowderman
Dorn

need help

Different names:

yes, that´s it, tks

what a boring new title, what boring lyrics.
they should have kept the title, kept the lyrics - added some verse(s) - cleaned up / improved the sound - and that´s it
that´s how they were back than, in the early 70´s, no reason to deny it, forget about "political correctness"

Well then don't listen to it, delete it from your download if you got one, skip it on the vinyl or CD or block it, etc.

It's not the end of the world, it's just a song.

Perhaps you could listen to it a few more times, not be stuck on that version that you know, give it a chance. It's not 1973, it's 2020.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 9, 2020 04:04

I love it. The opening riff on this song is unique in that it is in a lower register. I always concentrate on the Keith riffs as they are truly remarkable.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: September 11, 2020 17:12

Rip This
treaclefingers
Love it! Channeling the New York Dolls?

.. Both this one and Criss Cross...the NYD force is strong here.

Agree! Was just about to post along those lines.....But I'll just agree with you both thumbs up

Date: September 12, 2020 08:22

Dolls and Crows could only dream
of slapping tagether a song as loose as Ass/Rage ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home