Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Post Tattoo You albums
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:08

It's (again) all a matter of personal taste. I would say that 80% of all the popular music by other musicians after Tattoo You is total crap. Maybe 75% of music made before Tattoo You is also total crap. So it should never have been made at all (off course I exaggerate ...).
What a terrible world we would live in if the Stones would have been made redundant in 1969 or 1981?
Also image us bunch of Stones fans (many would never have been Stones fans if the band had stopped in 1981) living without bv's great IORR site. What a boring life we would have!
I would say, put on your favorite Stones (or other) music and forget about stuff you don't like. Life is too short to waste it on things you don't like.
Anyway ... for this occasion I'm gonna put up "I can't get NO Satisfaction" cool smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 17, 2020 11:02

Undercover would be a great album without "Wanna Hold You", "All The Way Down", "Too Tough" and "Must Be Hell". The greatest songs on it are "Undercover", "Tie You Up" and "Feel on Baby".

From DW, "One Hit" is great, "Sleep Tonight" is good, "Winning Ugly" should get rid of the 80s production and it might get good. The rest should never have existed.

Steel Wheels is an average album: mostly not great and nothing really bad. The only really good songs are "Almost Hear You Sigh", and "Slipping Away". "Between a Rock" has potential, but it should have been worked more.

Voodoo Lounge, the only songs worth to remember (nothing great but at least good) are "Love is Strong", "Sweethearts Together" and "Baby, break it down". The rest is redundant.

Bridges to Babylon: keep "Saint of Me", "Out of Control" and "Thief In The Night". "Anyway You Look At It" is really nice and should have been on the album. Maybe rework "Flip the Switch". The rest is mediocre.

ABB: "Laugh, I Nearly Died" is great. The rest is good at best. "Streets of Love" is not so awful bad as people say it is, but it's not very good either. Of course, "Sweet Neocon" and "Infamy" should never have existed.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 17, 2020 12:05

matxil
Undercover would be a great album without "Wanna Hold You", "All The Way Down", "Too Tough" and "Must Be Hell". The greatest songs on it are "Undercover", "Tie You Up" and "Feel on Baby".

From DW, "One Hit" is great, "Sleep Tonight" is good, "Winning Ugly" should get rid of the 80s production and it might get good. The rest should never have existed.

Steel Wheels is an average album: mostly not great and nothing really bad. The only really good songs are "Almost Hear You Sigh", and "Slipping Away". "Between a Rock" has potential, but it should have been worked more.

Voodoo Lounge, the only songs worth to remember (nothing great but at least good) are "Love is Strong", "Sweethearts Together" and "Baby, break it down". The rest is redundant.

Bridges to Babylon: keep "Saint of Me", "Out of Control" and "Thief In The Night". "Anyway You Look At It" is really nice and should have been on the album. Maybe rework "Flip the Switch". The rest is mediocre.

ABB: "Laugh, I Nearly Died" is great. The rest is good at best. "Streets of Love" is not so awful bad as people say it is, but it's not very good either. Of course, "Sweet Neocon" and "Infamy" should never have existed.

Don't like "Undercover Of The Night". "All The Way Down" and "Too Tough" suffer from the thin guitar sounds and the 80s production. "Tie You Up" and "Feel On Baby" are great. There is an outtake of "Wanna Hold You" that is much better then the released version, much better mix, especially the guitar sound.

Favorites from

Dirty Work: Title song, "One Hit", "Sleep Tonight", "Had It With You"
Steel Wheels: "Almost Hear You Sigh" (which is a leftover from the Keith solo sessions), "Continental Drift"
Voodoo Lounge: "Love Is Strong", "Moon Is Up"
B2B: best album since Tattoo You, like every song except "Gunface"
ABB: "Rough Justice", "Let Me Down Slow", "Rain Fall Down", "Oh No, Not You Again", "Laugh, I Nearly Died", "Under The Radar"

Not so bad all in all.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 17, 2020 20:36

Stoneage
To play the cynic: Basically everything after Tattoo You is redundant. They could have quit in 1982. Wouldn't have made a difference. By the late seventies, everything was done. Nothing more to add.

If I were to play that cynic, I had to declare TATTOO YOU to be redundant as well. Only with "Waiting on a Friend" really to keep. On the other hand, every song on UNDERCOVER is to treasure, their last great album.

However, I am not a cynic, and I don't want to play cynic.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 17, 2020 21:25

Until recently I was hardcore "nothing post Tattoo You" was worth listening to (except She Was Hot and verses of Feel On Baby).. With covid and too much time on my hands I took a friend up on his challenge to really listen to the newer stuff.

Surprise, surprise: I LOVE A Bigger Bang. Picked up the re-release and spin it almost daily.

Guess it took me a long time to let go of who they were to me in my youth and allow them to make music as a somewhat different, albeit not as rebellious, band. They still rock, just differently smiling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 18, 2020 04:27

I've been listening to t bone Burnett radio on Pandora lately and every so often something from sw, vl or or abb will come on, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound pretty good. I Don't think they've played anything from bridges on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 04:31 by ryanpow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2020 20:45

Witness
Stoneage
To play the cynic: Basically everything after Tattoo You is redundant. They could have quit in 1982. Wouldn't have made a difference. By the late seventies, everything was done. Nothing more to add.

If I were to play that cynic, I had to declare TATTOO YOU to be redundant as well. Only with "Waiting on a Friend" really to keep. On the other hand, every song on UNDERCOVER is to treasure, their last great album.

However, I am not a cynic, and I don't want to play cynic.

Heartily agree with you on Undercover. For me the last album they tried some new things, and it worked splendidly.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home