Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keef Amp Purists
Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: September 1, 2020 04:29

Not to the extreme for sure but looking at low power amps from Fender like the Champ, the Pro Junior IV and the Blues Junior IV.
Am getting my Tele fixed up relatively to Keefs ( early 50's bridge pup / brass bridge plate & saddles and looking for that amp which will get me closest to that
Keef tonality.
The Champ at 5W is under powered so it's between a Blues Jr.IV and the Pro Jr.IV.
The Blues Jr is a very versatile amp with a Master Volume / EQ section etc.
Probably the wiser choice but if it can't get close to Keef then the jig is up.
Suggestions please from you players in the crowd.
Thanks
BP

Re: Keef Amp Purists
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2020 05:20

Get over the lack of power and stick with the Champ. Those Blues 1234 whatever, sure, but if you want the true sound, the Champ is the best place to start.

Date: September 1, 2020 06:34

Thanks for that Gas Light!
I know that he has on many occasions used the Champ in the studio.
BP

Date: September 1, 2020 18:36

banditpanda
BP

I've not read every guitar magazine etc but the one amp Keith seems to talk about the most regarding the studio and his emotions with it is the Champ. It's partially the reason I have had them and they're awesome for getting a great sound. I've used them for gigs with just a two guitar show or a band and when the band needs to be quiet the Champ is perfect for just cutting through without having that remove head volume that can be so specific in its direction.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 1, 2020 18:39

GasLightStreet
banditpanda
BP

I've not read every guitar magazine etc but the one amp Keith seems to talk about the most regarding the studio and his emotions with it is the Champ. It's partially the reason I have had them and they're awesome for getting a great sound. I've used them for gigs with just a two guitar show or a band and when the band needs to be quiet the Champ is perfect for just cutting through without having that remove head volume that can be so specific in its direction.
This is where the vintage Fender Tweed Champ in the studio can be cranked to produce a really nice tone to record with along with the clean tone at lower volume . This is no accident !

Date: September 1, 2020 18:54

Was playing some gigs with a Champ, the guy I was performing with kept complaining about how it honked. He has no clue about amps. Nobody else has ever complained about the sound. I started bringing it just to piss him off. I kept reminding him that he didn't like how I got too loud and with the Champ I can't do that.

Date: September 1, 2020 19:30

GasLightStreet
Was playing some gigs with a Champ, the guy I was performing with kept complaining about how it honked. He has no clue about amps. Nobody else has ever complained about the sound. I started bringing it just to piss him off. I kept reminding him that he didn't like how I got too loud and with the Champ I can't do that.

Lol..Kind of have the same feeling myself even in my basement. Currently play in front of 2 stacked 12" cabs so you know wikth the head on top prolly comes up to elbow height.
Trouble picturing myself playing in front of a mid calf high Champ or Pro Jr.
BP

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 1, 2020 22:44

Give the Blues Junior IV a chance . I owe this amp. It‘ s different to all other Blues Juniors . Now with a 12‘ Celestion speaker , warmer sound and better reverb.
Sounds terrific with a stonesy Telecaster , works great with pedals and easy to carry. Sounds great even on bedroom levels .

Tom

Date: September 1, 2020 23:17

electricmud
Give the Blues Junior IV a chance . I owe this amp. It‘ s different to all other Blues Juniors . Now with a 12‘ Celestion speaker , warmer sound and better reverb.
Sounds terrific with a stonesy Telecaster , works great with pedals and easy to carry. Sounds great even on bedroom levels .

Tom

Thanks for that Tom.
BP

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2020 10:04

Judging from pictures of them working in the studio, and judging from the sound a Tweed Champ gives, I do not think they used them a lot in the studio. In fact, up until the late 1970's or even early 1980's they didn't seem to use Tweed amps a lot. In the 1970's it was Fender silverface Princeton's and, mostly, Deluxe Reverbs and Twins, with some Ampegs in the early 1970's. For the 1978 Pathe Marconi sessions they started using Boogie MKI's, and the first pics of Tweed Deluxes show up. But up until Dirty Work it's mostly Boogie MKI's and IIB's, and the first sign of a low power Tweed Twin in 1985.

The Champ is a great amp for practicing, but the small speaker and box makes it sound very nasal. You really need to put in a 10" speaker, or a 12" for the Princeton.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home