Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: When will Rock and the nostalgia for the Sixties and Seventies end?
Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: September 1, 2020 06:37

"The average twenty-something reviewer might not have even heard a single Beatles or Rolling Stones song before they take a listen. Many of them have never even heard of the Rolling Stones."

I don't believe that.
BP

Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: September 1, 2020 07:23

The first exposure to music comes from the home.
If a child's parents are singing Beatles songs, has'70's rock playing on Spotify or whichever, watches performance Blu Rays of the Stones in Havana,maybe has a collection of 60's / 70's vinyl albums playing on a kick ass system, has Warhol hanging on a wall, then that music gets embedded. When that child takes to the streets and school, exposure to all kinds of music and more than likely peer pressure will take them down another music path.Then again they may inherit their parents music collection and play it for their kids! lol
Of course that is a white man's perspective.
I will venture to say that the 60's / 70's music were a white people's phenomenon more so than persons of color.( props to Berry/Richard/Brown/Sly et al )
With the oncoming change of demographics in the American population the answer to the question is within the next 20 years.
Sorry for the wind!
BP

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 2, 2020 08:46

MileHigh
There are millions of kids that play Fortnite and other games every single day and they burn lots and lots of hours. That's an example of the squeeze-out right there. They won't even know who Bob Dylan is because they spent 5000 hours playing Fortnite while they were growing up.

Some games trigger interest in the older music - GTA Vice City got a whole lot of young people listening to 80s music. Maybe some future GTA game set in the 60s/70s could do the same for the music of that era

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 2, 2020 11:53

I just remembered this funny story and keep in mind that it was ELEVEN years ago.

[abcnews.go.com]

Aug. 14, 2009 -- Talk about a complete unknown.

Bob Dylan was detained by police in Long Branch, N.J. last month, when a young officer failed to recognize him, police said. The officer proceeded to go to earnest lengths to ensure the hooded, disheveled, rain-soaked music legend was, in fact, who he said he was.

Dylan, 68, one of the most celebrated, eccentric artists in American history, was in the area on July 23 as part of a national concert tour -- a fact lost on 24-year-old Long Branch police officer Kristie Buble.

To hear the young New Jersey police officer describe it, the scene was like something out of one of Dylan's epic songs: It was pouring rain, Dylan was soaked and wandering alone, far from the traveling home of his entourage of tour buses.

When Dylan wandered into the yard of a home that had a "For Sale" sign on it, the home's occupants became spooked by his appearance and called police with a report of an "eccentric-looking old man" in their yard, Long Branch Police said. One of the occupants even went so far as to follow Dylan as he continued on down the street.

A publicist for Dylan who was on his way to a Dylan concert in Fresno, Calif., told ABCNews.com he had not heard the story, but would look into the incident.

But Buble said the man told her he was Bob Dylan.

"We got a call for a suspicious person,'' Buble said. "It was pouring rain outside, and I was right around the corner so I responded. By that time he was walking down the street. I asked him what he was doing in the neighborhood and he said he was looking at a house for sale."

"I asked him what his name was and he said, 'Bob Dylan,' Buble said. "Now, I've seen pictures of Bob Dylan from a long time ago and he didn't look like Bob Dylan to me at all. He was wearing black sweatpants tucked into black rain boots, and two raincoats with the hood pulled down over his head.

"So I said, 'OK Bob, what are you doing in Long Branch?' He said he was touring the country with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp. So now I'm really a little fishy about his story. I did not know what to believe or where he was coming from, or even who he was.

"We see a lot of people on our beat, and I wasn't sure if he came from one of our hospitals or something," Buble said.

She asked for identification, but Dylan said he had none. She asked where he was staying and he said his tour buses were parked at some big hotel on the ocean. Buble said she assumed that to be the nearby Ocean Place Conference Resort.

"He was acting very suspicious,'' Buble said. "Not delusional, just suspicious. You know, it was pouring rain and everything."

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: September 2, 2020 16:27

likely never

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 2, 2020 16:47

To quote The Who:

Long Live Rock
Be it dead or alive

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 2, 2020 21:06

I think the reverence to the 60s and 70s will fade as we all grow older, meaning our generation.

I am on TikTok (because there are a lot of funny motherf**kers out there), and I see a lot of the younger generation show the same reverence to vintage Axl Rose and James Hetfield pictures from their heyday...much like we had for bands like the Stones, etc.

Nothing makes you feel older than seeing teenagers post pics of James Hetfield from 1989 with comments about how cool it would have been to see them back in the day.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 2, 2020 22:49

I think the nostalgia for that era already has ended, but the best music from that period isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 2, 2020 23:25

I think the times we live in have changed in such a profound way that it can't be compared to just another decade liked the 20s, 30s, 60s, etc. And so we can't look in retrospective trying to guess what will happen in the future to a certain part of our culture today.

The accessibility of contents we have today is so great that people are consuming whatever they want at a certain moment and change it easily within minutes - and everybody is cool with that. There's no more the need to belong to a certain group and follow strictly the idiosyncrasyes of that group - be it in dressing, in the language used, in the music and groups to follow. It's a very diverse and connected world today, and kids are growing in that. All the musical heritage will exist in their worlds, be it in its original form, or mixed with other styles - that's the way art in itself evolves, and it will continue to be that way.

So people will listen to the Stones, Beatles, Dylan etc and probably new diehard fans will appear too, new experts learning from places like this forum, and from its users, maybe some already gone. But they will also listen to a bunch of other stuff, and jump from styles within a blink of an eye.

The biggest loss in these new times, in my opinion, will be authenticity. It will be a lot more about the momentary experience, and less about the deeper meaning of things. It's the price to pay for the speed and short span attention we live in.

But - in a purely individual point of view - the cultural availability and the freedom to enjoy it anytime is a wonderful thing, if you have the taste and foundations to appreciate the best things created by mankind.

Date: September 3, 2020 00:58

The only thing from the 70s young people seem to remember is Grease

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-03 00:59 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 3, 2020 01:17

Never. The greatest era for rock and roll.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 3, 2020 01:31

we should be happy we live in the youtube age, where we get what we want now and can change within seconds, compared to when i grew up in the 80,s and had to save to buy an lp or vhs video. no pressing buttons and getting choices from hundreds of concerts or promo videos of many bands. hopefully with this youtube age people can always learn more about musics golden age and its up to us older ones to teach younger generations what was brilliant about the 60,s and 70,s. when i was young, older people told me the 60,s was the best for music, i thought they were just oldies being sentimental, now i know the truth.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 3, 2020 03:32

KevinM
I was at the store the other day & 2 girls, ~20 yrs. old, were wearing Beatles t-shirts. 1 was wearing it because her new BF gave it to her, but couldn't name 1 song or album. The other was a fan, but hadn't heard of The Rolling Stones & never heard Satisfaction, couldn't name songs/albums. I gave her pointers on what bands to check out etc & she was grateful. I always try to make it a point to talk to these kids if possible & let me know there's other great music they've never had exposure to. Here in North Florida (near the beach), Jimi Hendrix has a big following among the surfer community.

Why do guys do this? My girl and I look younger than we are. Constantly getting questions about band shirts. Like you have to pass some test to wear a t shirt. Her last reply, whats the last track on emotional rescue and the perv waddled away. Lol

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: September 3, 2020 16:20

A FUNNY/NOT FUNNY STORY...

Years ago, while travelling to London, I commented to a work colleague that we were very fortunate that our line of work takes us to many cities around the world. On this London layover, a few of us were going to Brighton as well. I said to my younger colleague, "We'll be going to the same places as mentioned in The Who's song Pinball Wizard (From Soho down to Brighton...)"
---BLANK STARE---
So I quickly thought of updating my reference and used Elton John's Pinball Wizard
---BLANK STARE---

At that point I knew better than to even MENTION anything about The Rolling Stones

FUNNY/NOT FUNNY

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 3, 2020 16:26

Hey, Hey, My, My.....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2020 16:37

24FPS
The Rock of the sixties and seventies will be viewed as we view the Impressionists, an extraordinary time that produced incredible, varied work. It was an explosion we lived through. There is no such movement in art of any kind to match it. But there weren't many movements that came after the Impressionists either.

wow...brilliant. Never thought of it in those terms. I do believe you are correct. I bought the idea that every generation likes their generation of music best (which is mostly true) and dislike the music of their parents.

The fact though is that the Stones and 60s-70s music generally IS the music of my parents, and I've always preferred that to the music of the 80s/90s.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: September 3, 2020 19:39

...When you saw McDonald's ads with hip-hop music, that was the beginning of the end...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 3, 2020 19:41

It will only end when it no longer sells.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2020 20:15

24FPS
But there weren't many movements that came after the Impressionists either.

Not to be a nitpicker, but there have been quite a few movements since then including Post Impressionism, Expressionism, Cubism,
Futurism, Surrealism, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art, Minimalism, and Conceptual Art to name just a few.

> Timeline of Western Art,
> Modern Art Movements: 1870s to 1980s.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 3, 2020 20:29

treaclefingers
24FPS
The Rock of the sixties and seventies will be viewed as we view the Impressionists, an extraordinary time that produced incredible, varied work. It was an explosion we lived through. There is no such movement in art of any kind to match it. But there weren't many movements that came after the Impressionists either.

wow...brilliant. Never thought of it in those terms. I do believe you are correct. I bought the idea that every generation likes their generation of music best (which is mostly true) and dislike the music of their parents.

The fact though is that the Stones and 60s-70s music generally IS the music of my parents, and I've always preferred that to the music of the 80s/90s.

The thing with the Rolling Stones is, however, that they by now cover at least three generation of parents cool smiley
So for many "children" it's impossible to dislike the music of their parents ...
smileys with beer

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: September 3, 2020 20:33

[Deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-03 20:34 by CJFP.

Date: September 7, 2020 21:54

georgie48
treaclefingers
24FPS

The thing with the Rolling Stones is, however, that they by now cover at least three generation of parents cool smiley
So for many "children" it's impossible to dislike the music of their parents ...
smileys with beer

ha ha...very true!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 7, 2020 22:30

NilsHolgersson

Also Abba.
The play has kept them current. Saw Mama Mia at a high shool last year and all the kids knew the songs.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 7, 2020 22:51

torontostoner

Years ago, while travelling to London, I commented to a work colleague that we were very fortunate that our line of work takes us to many cities around the world. On this London layover, a few of us were going to Brighton as well. I said to my younger colleague, "We'll be going to the same places as mentioned in The Who's song Pinball Wizard (From Soho down to Brighton...)"
---BLANK STARE---
So I quickly thought of updating my reference and used Elton John's Pinball Wizard
---BLANK STARE---

At that point I knew better than to even MENTION anything about The Rolling Stones

FUNNY/NOT FUNNY

Well, there may be some glimmer of hope for the generations to come. A friend’s daughter is in her early 20s. Apparently I’m their only ‘cool’ (more like bonkers) friend. But after introducing her to whisky (when she hit legal age) and telling of some adventures on tour, she said ‘when I get older I’m going to drink whisky and see the Rolling Stones!’ My single proudest moment! grinning smiley

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 7, 2020 23:17

SomeTorontoGirl
torontostoner

---BLANK STARE---
---BLANK STARE---

FUNNY/NOT FUNNY

Well, there may be some glimmer of hope for the generations to come. A friend’s daughter is in her early 20s. Apparently I’m their only ‘cool’ (more like bonkers) friend. But after introducing her to whisky (when she hit legal age) and telling of some adventures on tour, she said ‘when I get older I’m going to drink whisky and see the Rolling Stones!’ My single proudest moment! grinning smiley

You’re a true role model for most of us, STG, so I’m glad others are catching on!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 8, 2020 01:53

NEVER...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 01:57 by shadooby.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 8, 2020 04:03

banditpanda
"The average twenty-something reviewer might not have even heard a single Beatles or Rolling Stones song before they take a listen. Many of them have never even heard of the Rolling Stones."

I don't believe that.
BP

You don't have to. But it's true. So, you know, beliefs and all that - they aren't facts.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 8, 2020 06:21

In the video for the number one song in the US this week (by Korean boy band BTS) the lead vocalist, who looks like a teenager, had posters of Abbey Road and Aladdin Sane on his bedroom walls!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 06:22 by drbryant.

Date: September 9, 2020 22:06

wonderboy
NilsHolgersson

Also Abba.
The play has kept them current. Saw Mama Mia at a high shool last year and all the kids knew the songs.

Yes, the movies too

Date: September 12, 2020 01:23

NilsHolgersson

I doubt young people 'remember' anything from the 70s actually, at least those under the age 40.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home