Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
When will Rock and the nostalgia for the Sixties and Seventies end?
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 31, 2020 03:23

If you watch music reaction videos on YouTube the average thirty-something reactor only knows one or two songs from big bands from pre-1980. The average twenty-something reviewer might not have even heard a single Beatles or Rolling Stones song before they take a listen. Many of them have never even heard of the Rolling Stones.

So when does it all truly feel like a bygone era? Granted YouTube has given the Sixties and Seventies a bit of a second life. But forget about YouTube and think about the common popular culture.

I think it's going to be relegated to the history books within about 10 years. When our favourite band members pass on, and the two remaining Beatles, the remaining members of Led Zeppelin, etc, when they are all gone then the whole era is going to fade away. It's just going to disappear for all practical intents and purposes. Yes, some of the music will still be played, but when it's played it will just be "a song." There will be no associations in the minds of the listeners.

Yes it's a sad thought for those of us that grew up in that era and remember how important it was and how dominant it was. Not meaning to be a downer, but it's an interesting thing to ponder. The Sixties and Seventies are going to disappear like the proverbial VCR.

Re: When will Rock and the nostalgia for the Sixties and Seventies end?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 03:34

It will never end. It is music history that helped shape a cultural revolution. Hundreds of years from now it will still be studies and analyzed much like studying Beethoven and Chopin.

Date: August 31, 2020 03:44

whitem8
It will never end. It is music history that helped shape a cultural revolution. Hundreds of years from now it will still be studies and analyzed much like studying Beethoven and Chopin.

But I am not referring to the people studying the history of music. For example, take the music from the 1940s. I can relate to Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, Cab Calloway, a few others. But for a lot of mainstream and very popular musical acts from the 1940s my mind is a complete blank.

So that's what I am saying. For the vast majority of people, in 10 years the stuff that we talk about here every day will draw a complete blank.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:03

Pretty soon, unfortunately. I recently looked at the Top 20 songs and didn't know a single one - in fact, I had only heard of a few of the artists < using that word liberally.

BTW, I am pretty open minded toward music and like a number of new artists - mostly Americana type acts - Jason Isbell, Brent Cobb, Todd Snider, Sturgell Simpson, etc.

Rap pretty much sucks

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:12

Vlassic Rawk stations will be around for a little while. I'm recently 50 years old. A little bit to my chagrin, I listen to classic rock radio here and there and I'm generally dulled by the constant 20 songs or whatever that are played most of the time: every now and then I hear something I actually like but overall it's just stupid.

The problem is there isn't a whole lot to choose from that's, for me, good music, so I tend to gravitate back to the classic rock station where I can hear Zep, Beatles, Stones, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Queen, Bowie, Bruce, Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath, The Who etc. I do listen to the rather silly old country music station and some of that stuff from the 1970s is utterly awful and it blows my mind they were hits but that usually lasts about 10 minutes.

I have not heard a "New" country ie since the 1990s radio station and if there is one I don't know what it is nor have I ever sought it out.

The hip-hop and rap stations bore me: practically nothing is tuneful or it's just dramatic moaning.

I listen to local talk radio more than anything. There is a station that plays the iHeart Radio... show and it's one of the dumbest things I've ever listened to.

My now recent ex-girlfriend, who is 3 weeks older than me, listens to Alexa and somehow she knows a majority of the new/recent trendy songs because Amazon plays a plethora of eras and genres and it really blows my mind how much she's familiar with.

I've done enough driving around recently and at a red light I'll flip through whatever and NO ONE AROUND EVER is listening to anything I can listen to on FM radio. They're either on their phones, listening with their phones or have satellite radio.

I've not bothered to look to see what the numbers are for satellite radio vs FM radio but as long as advertisers are willing to pay those stations will continue.

Certainly there will be a downfall of listeners as the generation before me, my generation and the generation below me dies off or finds something else. I know kids in their 20s that have been exposed to the Stones etc but they don't seek them out, they're more into whatever the contemporary current music trends are. It won't be a surprise that when McCartney dies there will be a ton of Beatles and Wings being played for about a month. The same with everyone else.

It won't last.

If "nobody" is listening I guess it doesn't matter since money is being made because I'm going to guess there is zero accurate ways to truly find out who's listening. It will probably be the last thing in the entire music industry of consumption to go dead but it will very likely happen, or at least begin, in the next 20 years.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 08:44

When WE are all gone!

Rod

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: August 31, 2020 08:51

Interesting topic.

Rap, Hip Hop & R&B (the modern version/definition) has expedited the impending "drowning" of our golden era of music ~'60-'80, could go as far as '84 (Stevie Ray Vaughan, U2, Van Halen, Rush) etc. Guns & Roses, Nirvana & Muse weren't even around then, so there were still bands to carry the torch, among others. I wonder if those 3 genres would've gone mainstream so quickly & with as much impact had Steven Tyler & Aerosmith not done a duet with Run DMC on 'Walk This Way' in '84/85.

That being said, in 2010 iirc, Walmart started selling Rockband (The Beatles) video game & in doing so introduced them to the millenials/zillenials.

I was at the store the other day & 2 young girls, ~20 yrs. old, were wearing Beatles t-shirts. 1 was wearing it because her new BF gave it to her, but couldn't name 1 song or album. The other was a fan, but hadn't heard of The Rolling Stones & never heard Satisfaction, couldn't name songs/albums. I gave her pointers on what bands to check out etc & she was grateful. I always try to make it a point to talk to these kids if possible & let me know there's other great music they've never had exposure to. Here in North Florida (near the beach), Jimi Hendrix has a big following among the surfer community.

The exception is musicians, especially guitarists, like my 27 yr. old nephew. He's very good & loves classic rock, with Zappa being his favorite...now if I could only get through to my 32 yr. old niece.

I think a big part of the clash of generations happening in the US (& possibly other countries), is due to our taste in good music vs. the mainstream (C)rap kids listen to now, that's really all they know, they're programmed sheeple. Systematically dumbed down. Hip Hop & R&B are included in that subterfuge.

I'm truly grateful that God gave me the gift of classic rock even though the Earth is 5b? years old, we all existed in the best time for music. We could've been born during the Jurassic period or similar, hunting pterodactyl eggs for omelettes, but instead we're jamming to the Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, The Who, Yes & others.

I think ~20 more years max, before it really is virtually dead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 08:54 by KevinM.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:38

The Rock of the sixties and seventies will be viewed as we view the Impressionists, an extraordinary time that produced incredible, varied work. It was an explosion we lived through. There is no such movement in art of any kind to match it. But there weren't many movements that came after the Impressionists either.

We see Van Gogh's paintings as something almost other worldly. They will listen to Hendrix a hundred years from now and still their jaws will drop. A lot of the music will indeed fall away, but there is so much of it that won't.

Much as we still have a fascination for the 1920s, public curiosity will bring the 60s back time and time again. Revolutionary times do that. The 80s onward are dull by comparison, including most of rap.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:57

it's an easy equation. It will die out in the same pace its public dies out. It has already faded quite a bit.
But that is the case with all music. Or other phenomena. Nothing to mourn about really. It's time passing. Nothing else.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 31, 2020 15:39

In the US it certainly seems that advertisers are using many classic and not-so-classic 60s and 70s rock tunes for their TV commercials. And these are for products aimed at younger audiences, not Boomers.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 18:48 by HouseBoyKnows.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 15:45

It will never end. The Beatles have been broken up since 1970 and they still are top sellers and cultural icons. The stones are still a huge concert draw. years from now people will still be collecting their music and listening to it. Whole new generations of kids are getting turned on to retro music like the stones, the Beatles, the who, and zeppelin. It will continue forever.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 31, 2020 18:19

The music will remain and always be listened to, but the nostalgia will end with the end of the generation from the sixties and seventies. I can only be nostalgic about things that were in my life. I cannot be nostalgic about the big band era, but my parents were. It was the music of their generation. I love big band music, but it is not because of nostalgia, it is a music preference. But when I hear a song from the sixties or seventies, I become nostalgic in that it takes me back to a time in my life that I remember fondly.

Yes, much of the music is timeless. But when the last of my generation is finally laid to rest, the nostalgia will come to an end, though the music will live on.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:16

DaveG
The music will remain and always be listened to, but the nostalgia will end with the end of the generation from the sixties and seventies. I can only be nostalgic about things that were in my life. I cannot be nostalgic about the big band era, but my parents were. It was the music of their generation. I love big band music, but it is not because of nostalgia, it is a music preference. But when I hear a song from the sixties or seventies, I become nostalgic in that it takes me back to a time in my life that I remember fondly.

Yes, much of the music is timeless. But when the last of my generation is finally laid to rest, the nostalgia will come to an end, though the music will live on.

Very well stated, Dave.
Disagree slightly with it ending with the last of our generation though.

Many from younger generations could have nostalgia for the band for decades to come. Couple of my kids for example, getting LD pit tickets last year and being blown away, seeing them on the Imax screens etc as young kids, Stones music dominating the house and events throughout their childhoods.. etc.

The way they've been touring and the latter releases, including upcoming ones, could help keep the nostalgia aspect going for some decades after us boomers are long gone cool smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:18

I think COVID-19 will reek havoc on the entire music industry . Save for the diehards , I think the whole industry is on serious life support .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:22

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and even then The Beatles will continue to be popular long after the rest are forgotten.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:37

What a challenging issue! No energy to reflect now, but I enjoy very much the takes here, thank you!

- Doxa

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 31, 2020 20:05

MisterDDDD
DaveG

Very well stated, Dave.
Disagree slightly with it ending with the last of our generation though.

Many from younger generations could have nostalgia for the band for decades to come. Couple of my kids for example, getting LD pit tickets last year and being blown away, seeing them on the Imax screens etc as young kids, Stones music dominating the house and events throughout their childhoods.. etc.

The way they've been touring and the latter releases, including upcoming ones, could help keep the nostalgia aspect going for some decades after us boomers are long gone cool smiley

Great point Mike, and I’m glad to see so many young people finding the Stones, Beatles, etc. They may very well be nostalgic about the music of the sixties and seventies many years from now.
For me, the nostalgia goes a bit deeper. It is tied to the radio AirPlay from back then. If you saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, you heard the jingle and dj’s from 93 KHJ in L.A. THAT took me back! The nostalgia was more than the music, it was the whole scene to which the songs were connected.

Hope all is well up in Bellingham!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 31, 2020 21:39

MileHigh
If you watch music reaction videos on YouTube the average thirty-something reactor only knows one or two songs from big bands from pre-1980. The average twenty-something reviewer might not have even heard a single Beatles or Rolling Stones song before they take a listen. Many of them have never even heard of the Rolling Stones.

So when does it all truly feel like a bygone era? Granted YouTube has given the Sixties and Seventies a bit of a second life. But forget about YouTube and think about the common popular culture.

I think it's going to be relegated to the history books within about 10 years. When our favourite band members pass on, and the two remaining Beatles, the remaining members of Led Zeppelin, etc, when they are all gone then the whole era is going to fade away. It's just going to disappear for all practical intents and purposes. Yes, some of the music will still be played, but when it's played it will just be "a song." There will be no associations in the minds of the listeners.

Yes it's a sad thought for those of us that grew up in that era and remember how important it was and how dominant it was. Not meaning to be a downer, but it's an interesting thing to ponder. The Sixties and Seventies are going to disappear like the proverbial VCR.

the problem ist not so much that they (the band and musician die, the problem is rather that the generation that was raised with or rather by rock music is dying/fading away.
For example: the death of Jim Morrision or Jimi Hendrix didn't kill their music. They are still being remembered by people who are now in their fifties although Morrission and Hendrix died when these people were just children

Date: August 31, 2020 22:50

It won’t die but it will fade away a bit more, which is shameful because it was a great era. Speaking of which I didn’t even know the MTV VMAs were last night. All the news headlines I read today about the show were regarding what everyone was wearing.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 23:17

sadly my kids generation dont have the same notion for going back a generation to discover real great music, but if they did they could carry the torch just a little bit longer. its up to us to pester them into understanding the best music ever was recorded between the mid 60,s and the mid 80,s. personally i think what came out of the time period 1966-69 was the creative force and inspiration behind all the good stuff that came after.

hip hop and rap which started around the 80,s as a commercial source was the begining of the end of what music once was.

you could say the same about films, and tv, comedy etc having thier heyday and then what came after wasnt so good. but people tend to view the past from a certain narative and as they didnt experience it they only say what they have heard or read.

for me with music the narative has always been beatles driven, always the greatest rock band, always the good guys, stones the bad guys etc, the real truth is well hidden and always will be regarding how people view the past.

i can imagine in about 200 years, if the human race is still going, some teenager saying, is that right dad, that in the 1960,s they were sending men to the moon, and singing lots of songs and eventually a virus came along and killed all the worlds poor population. and thats not entirely true as well, history distorts reality and as for how people see the golden generation of music in the future, i just hope they can find the interest enough to revitalize what we once had.

we still have youtube, dvd,s, cd,s, all other forms of media so i hope the interest can go on a bit longer.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 23:38

There have been many "brilliant" profetes since the end of WW2 and the rise of Rock 'n' Roll. So far they've all been wrong. The thing with music is that it's all somehow interconnected. Those who make today's "new" music have found inspiration from music/musicians from the past. The past can be 10 years ago but just as well 60 years ago. People not only listen to music but also talk about it and then the (any) past surfaces. The past fading away? Such a thing doesn't excist. When talking about the The Rolling Stones or the Beatles for that matter, the Buddy Hollies, Elvis Presleys, Chuck Berrys, etc., etc., automatically surface. Rap already existed in the 1920s, country, blues, they go even further back. Nothing fades away. My grandchildren talk with there friends (among other things) about ... music. And yes, names of dad's or granddad's heros likes Beatles, Stones, pass in review. Other grandchildren talk about their funny grandparents who like Hendrixs, U2 or Zeppelin, and so on. I remember my grandfather taking about "his" pre-war music of 25 years before I was born, putting a heavy wax LP on his pathofone (I wish I had that machine).
Nothing fades away unless that big meteorite arrives before the human race has made the all important jump into space.
smileys with beer

Date: September 1, 2020 00:06

In my generation, for quick information you looked up stuff in an encyclopedia. For more information, you went to the library and searched through the subject/title card catalog. You know those little drawers that had index cards showing you what books there were in the library?

In 2030, people will search online to find out what Rock music was or who the Rolling Stones were. But the feeling will be more or less the same. Just some stuff in an online encyclopedia.

Sigh...

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 01:26

If the music wasn’t so good and relevant at the moment.

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 01:27 by rattler2004.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 02:14

I don't want to judge current pop or rock - call it what you want.

Popular music is made by and for young people.

Ok right , when I switch the radio on I regularly say "what that sh!t" and can't stand some of the modern production trick but I am an old fart now.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 1, 2020 02:33

When the people who actually lived the times die off, it'll be more like 1930s jazz nostalgia or something, more like a niche thing
I see a lot of kids walking around with Stones and Beatles t-shirts but I wonder if they're able to name a song
The tongue logo will live on in popularity, the music, not so much with the youth, unless a DJ remixes Miss You for a new generation

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 1, 2020 03:23

First book I have read in two years --- Check out "Remain in Love" by Chris Frantz. Him describing the downtown music scene/early Seventies/ CBGBs etc are priceless. An intimate book written by him with no ghostwriter. He gets his licks in vs David Byrne at least 25 times. He says twice that Byrne is high functioning "on the spectrum".... Autism spectrum of course though Chris is polite so the word autism is not in the book. I was surprised that Chris and Tina's Tom Tom Club records sold more than Talking Heads.

Lou Reed and John Cale are in the book. Warhol too.

Also great accounts of the early tours for Talking Heads. Jagger makes one appearance in the book, muttering some gay nonsense at the CBGBs bar. Jag sitting all by his lonesome and Chris did not approach him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 03:24 by triceratops.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 1, 2020 04:52

NilsHolgersson
When the people who actually lived the times die off, it'll be more like 1930s jazz nostalgia or something, more like a niche thing
I see a lot of kids walking around with Stones and Beatles t-shirts but I wonder if they're able to name a song
The tongue logo will live on in popularity, the music, not so much with the youth, unless a DJ remixes Miss You for a new generation[/quote

Agreed
My teen daughter wears a Stones T-shirt and I required her to learn the three guitarists other than Keith!

Posted by: Amyl Nitrate ()
Date: September 1, 2020 04:58

If you like this discussion, you will love this: Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?

Date: September 1, 2020 05:18

Just some thoughts about differential time and available personal time in this day and age. Right now the Seventies are between 40 and 50 years ago.

So, if I place my young self in 1975 all excited about seeing the Rolling Stones for the first time, then the "Seventies" are between 1925 and 1935. What did I know about music between 1925 and 1935? Absolutely nothing. Did I ever think about musical acts from that era? Absolutely not.

The Seventies are truly ancient history for younger people. And with so many options for consuming media in the Information Age, the Sixties and Seventies and Beatles and Rolling Stones will be squeezed out. Some people say that the availability will keep the relevance going on forever because all of that great stuff is so accessible. But I would suggest that will only be the case for a narrow niche of people. There are only so many hours in a day. 60s and 70s pop culture and Rock music and culture is going to be squeezed out.

There are millions of kids that play Fortnite and other games every single day and they burn lots and lots of hours. That's an example of the squeeze-out right there. They won't even know who Bob Dylan is because they spent 5000 hours playing Fortnite while they were growing up.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2020 05:19

Kids etc do and will find the 1960s and 1970s music - but it will not ever have the impact that it had and as a whole it will die off. That's how I understand the question.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home