Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Mick and cocaine
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 30, 2020 20:13

Heavy Cocaine use does have a connection to heart disease. Particularly for post-menopausal women. The lack of estrogen production, compounded by already weakened heart function can prove fatal. This has been cited in the deaths of Donna Summer and Whitney Houston. Not as much of a factor for our boys, but still a factor. Just ask Len Bias’ family.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 30, 2020 20:18

Does anyone remember the interview a while back, but during the late era, where mick notices something on the floor next to his chair, picks it up, smells it, determines its hash, smiles and says "finders keepers!".

I want to say late 90s?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 30, 2020 20:34

Big Al
Mick evidently lives an incredibly health-conscious lifestyle. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to perform in such a way, otherwise. He probably adheres to a strict calorie-deficit diet. Although he’s not teetotal, I’m sure he drinks very little. He probably dabbled with cocaine socially, but as he seemingly loves to be rampant into his 70’s, I’m sure he’s very aware that cocaine will severely hinder his sex life!

From what I remember via Bill German's book "Under Their Thumb" during the time that he was documenting their exploits during the 1980's, German noted a couple instances when Jagger was using cocaine, particularly one incident described as a coke filled rage in which Jagger lit into German for something Bill wrote about him that Jagger didn't agree with (I'm just going from memory here so you would have to read his book for specific details).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 20:39 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 30, 2020 20:52

I seriously doubt any Stone is taking drugs these days. I think exercise, healthy food, a good night's sleep and a Flintstones multi-vitamin and aspirin is their agenda these days.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 30, 2020 22:09

Javadave
Heavy Cocaine use does have a connection to heart disease. Particularly for post-menopausal women. The lack of estrogen production, compounded by already weakened heart function can prove fatal. This has been cited in the deaths of Donna Summer and Whitney Houston. Not as much of a factor for our boys, but still a factor. Just ask Len Bias’ family.

I forgot about Len Bias. You are right

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2020 01:32

Horrible to watch that, Schillid. Coke jaw? It certainly looks like that. What a mess that SNL performance was.
A coke fest with John Belushi and Jagger. Of course Belushi only lived to be 33.

(3.35)

[www.youtube.com]

Some news regarding Belushi's death. Apparently he snorted cocaine with Robert De Niro and Robin Williams
just hours before his death in 1982:

[nypost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 01:43 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 31, 2020 02:23

Redhotcarpet
Testify
I remember very well an interview with Jerry Hall,I think in the mid 80s, where he tells how difficult it was to convince Mick to get rid of drugs, I guess he was referring to cocaine, but possible that he also used amphetamines.

No that was heroin. I dont think they even considered cocaine as a hard drug.
yes, yes it may be ... I don't remember exactly what he was referring to.
However in my opinion he stopped at the end of the 80s, there are images that portray him a lot done on his solo tour of '88, but I think at that time he used amphetamines for live concerts.
As for health, well! We are not all made the same and luck is also an important factor. I know people who have used everything and still use it despite the age of 60, others that I have lost along the way, still others who have never smoked a cigarette and are gone.
That's life....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 03:39

Yup laxative cutting sucks. I know in Caracas in the late nineties the coke I got there was crystal flakes, pinkish uncut. No poop just ring a linga Ching sham.

Date: August 31, 2020 03:39

I'm sure most the stones still smoke the weed.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 31, 2020 03:51

whitem8

I kind of doubt that. Tons of people wean themselves off of weed when they get older. It's not fun anymore to get high on weed. It's boring, makes you listless, and puts you to sleep. It's just becomes an unwanted fog in your brain. Sometimes it causes really nasty headaches too.

It's certainly not like that when you are 18 though.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:00

MileHigh, i would contest all of that. Sounds like you are smoking the wrong strains, or just don't know.

jb

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:25

jbwelda
MileHigh, i would contest all of that. Sounds like you are smoking the wrong strains, or just don't know.

jb

I stopped about seven years ago for the reasons mentioned. Plus it was hard on my lungs. In retrospect, for me personally, I should have stopped 30 years ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:46

That '94 interview. The reporter, Ed Bradley I believe, asked Mick about drugs. Mick said something to the effect that drugs were bad for him and that he quit. Ed asked him how long it took for him to figure that out. Mick looked at the camera, smiled, and said, "About twenty five years."

I get the feeling he started slowing down to begin with, knowing he couldn't put his body through coke and be good on stage. He also dropped cigarettes at some point. He is often seen with a cigarette in the 80s.

I've felt he was a cautious user. He certainly had Brian and Keith to remind him of where excess leads to. And he was certainly aware of his body, and what its limits were, growing up with a father who was a physical education instructor. I think he got bored with it. You can outgrow certain drugs. Coke gets to be rather pointless, unless you like gnashing your teeth and doing crossword puzzles at dawn.

Date: August 31, 2020 10:10

<He is often seen with a cigarette in the 80s.>

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure he quit in the 70s already.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2020 11:17

DandelionPowderman

I’m sure he must’ve quit at some point between the 1978 and ‘81 tours. I’ve certainly never seen a picture of Mick smoking after around 1978.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 31, 2020 13:12

Shott
Tony Sanchez book has some discussion of it. I read somewhere that what woke Mick up was when Elvis died in 77. That sounds about right.

Yes but that would be heroin not cocaine. In some bio there is a specific date when Mick OD:d and was rushed to hospital in early 1976. No idea if it’s true but that stuff can happen even to guys like Jagger.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 31, 2020 13:13

Besides grabbing ronnies cigarette on stage as part of the act I think jagger was not even smoking regularly by the 81 tour

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 31, 2020 13:42

Snooze , wake me when we have something to talk about .

Date: August 31, 2020 14:33

Isnt Jagger primarily an athlete who used drugs to relax and/or improve his skills as a performer, star, writer and producer? Periodically he went too far without completely giving up control. He never gained weight. Not once.

Date: August 31, 2020 14:34

Neither did Ronnie. smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2020 14:43

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

I’m sure he must’ve quit at some point between the 1978 and ‘81 tours. I’ve certainly never seen a picture of Mick smoking after around 1978.

That's what I thought, too.

Date: August 31, 2020 15:07

Redhotcarpet

Mick Taylor is the only Stone who gained weight.

Date: August 31, 2020 15:14

TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet

Well...

Thomas Peter / Reuters

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 31, 2020 15:21

photo : Richard Aaron
NYC 1977... must have been at the LYL release party,if I'm not wrong.
After that it's hard to find any pictures Jagger smoking in public,
beside on stage...isn't there a scene at Live In Texas '78 when he grabs
a cigarette from Ronnie ? Maybe I'm mixing it up...

Date: August 31, 2020 15:35

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet

Well...

Thomas Peter / Reuters

Not only the belly. Substantial I mean, and at a younger age.

Date: August 31, 2020 15:43

MileHigh
whitem8

I kind of doubt that. Tons of people wean themselves off of weed when they get older. It's not fun anymore to get high on weed. It's boring, makes you listless, and puts you to sleep. It's just becomes an unwanted fog in your brain. Sometimes it causes really nasty headaches too.

It's certainly not like that when you are 18 though.
Well a lot of older people are still smoking tons of weed. And in Michigan where it is legal now a lot of older people are smoking it for the first time and loving it. Depends on the strain you get too. I don’t think the stones even consider weed a drug it’s such a part of their life. Keith is always smoking pot for sure! I have no doubt Mick does too occasionally. Ronnie probably does a lot as well. Not sure about Charlie though.

Date: August 31, 2020 15:55

Ron Wood very likely stays away from any kind of smoke. He got away with it.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 31, 2020 15:58

Cooltoplady
Javadave

I forgot about Len Bias. You are right

The Len Bias event scared me away from ever doing it.

Date: August 31, 2020 16:30

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet

Well...

Thomas Peter / Reuters

Not only the belly. Substantial I mean, and at a younger age.

Write that, then! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 31, 2020 16:47

Bill Wyman looks heavier now than when he left the band.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home