Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Mick and cocaine
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:58

I'm not a doctor but I wonder what decades of drug use does to your heart or other organs. We have seen cases of early deaths among athletes who used doping.
I don't know about long term medicine implications of cocaine use though. I'm sure there must be some...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 30, 2020 01:09

SNL 1978 Rehearsal ...
Check out Mick at ~3:35 ...
"Coke Jaw" ?

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2020 01:21

MOJO 322 ---- September 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 30, 2020 01:22

When the Stones were hired to perform a private show for the Pepsi people. Mick said to the crowd "I did coke for 20 years,...But now I do Pepsi"....lol

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 30, 2020 01:50

Tony Sanchez book has some discussion of it. I read somewhere that what woke Mick up was when Elvis died in 77. That sounds about right.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 30, 2020 02:01

Mick talked a lot about drugs in that High Times cover issue many moons ago. I do remember he said cocaine was deabilitating and didn't like it. I don't buy Jerry Hall's story of him smoking heroin at all. My guess is Mick liked the odd line of coke before going on stage and dull after show parties. He hated the drug people. Plus he was addicted to sex and sex and sex and sex!!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 30, 2020 02:38

Stoneage
I'm not a doctor but I wonder what decades of drug use does to your heart or other organs. We have seen cases of early deaths among athletes who used doping.
I don't know about long term medicine implications of cocaine use though. I'm sure there must be some...

I’ve known several people who have succumbed to excessive drug use at an early age.One guy I know aged 37 had a heart attack two months ago due to heavy coke consumption.

Nate

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:21

Things have been going so well Mick’s probably in rehab tonight...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:32

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:36

Stoneage

Smart post Stoneage. You are right.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:48

After watching Ronnie freebase thousands of dollars of coke a week, Mick probably quit right there and then.
A snort here and there is one thing, but getting out the freebase/crack making kit took it all to another level. Yet somehow, miraculously and thankfullly, Ronnie survived it all.
David Crosby is another example of someone whose life went to hell because of coke and other drugs - ended up in jail and losing his liver.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 30, 2020 04:01

Gregory Isaacs.

jb

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 06:04

Mick was partying so hard these two days Andy Warhol saw him he must have been carrying a thyrsus. You could say Mick had a very merry Christmas:

From THE ANDY WARHOL DIARIES (p. 11 in the hardcover edition):

December 24, 1976:

“Went with Jed to Fred’s Christmas dinner at 1342 Lexington…

“Mick Jagger was there and he was in a good mood, he asked me what I thought of `A Star is Born’ and I told him and he said that he was so happy he’d turned it down, that he didn’t want to play a has-been rock singer, even for the million they offered him. Mick was asking for coke and finally got some from Anselmino. Fred’s housekeeper Hazel made turkey and ham and brussels sprouts. Paloma Picasso and her entourage were there.”

December 25, 1976:

“Went out to Westbury to C.Z. Guest’s for lunch. It started to snow a little…Said thanks and left to go home and get ready for the Jaggers’…Went up to East 72nd. We were one of the first to arrive…

“Mick sat down next to Bob Colacello and put his arm around him and offered him a pick-me-up, and Bob said, `Why yes, I am rather tired,’ and just as he was about to get it, Yoko and John Lennon walked in and Mick was so excited to see them that he ran over with the spoon that he was about to put under Bob’s nose and put it under John Lennon’s.

“Halston and Loulou de la Falaise put a lot of the pick-me-up in a covered dish on the coffee table and when someone they liked would sit down they’d tell them, `Lift it up and get a surprise.’ Paloma Picasso was there. Jay Johnson brought Delia Doherty. The dinner was terrific. Mick and Bianca forgot to bring out the dessert, though.”

Date: August 30, 2020 06:07

Hampton 81 ..... had ta be ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 30, 2020 06:47

I’m sure Mick has regrets for some past behavior. He is a much different person
today.

Date: August 30, 2020 07:25

Regrets ... Dont we all ....
pissed I didnt get up ta more mischief ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:34

Ah youngsters... (cough cough). grinning smiley

You have to remember that in the 70's when coke became trendy it was considered as the miracle stuff. It'd give you a boost in creativity and energy, it would make you work longer and socially you'd be sparkling!

And it was NOT addictive! Well that's what people thought.

My guess is, by the early 80's when coke started to make serious damage (it almost killed Marty Scorcese) super-sly Mick realized it was time to back down.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 30, 2020 14:44

well, obviously Jagger adopted a quite healthy life style early on (at least relative early for rock stars)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 30, 2020 14:47

dcba
My guess is, by the early 80's when coke started to make serious damage (it almost killed Marty Scorcese) super-sly Mick realized it was time to back down.

Thank God Mick was sly enough - i.e., smart enough - to lay off the stuff that's killed, or almost killed, many other greats. Bowie looks like he came pretty close in this interview.

I'm no doctor but I wonder if Mick's recent heart valve surgery was somehow connected with the cocaine use, even though it was so long ago.

Drew

Date: August 30, 2020 15:30

drewmaster
dcba

Thank God Mick was sly enough - i.e., smart enough - to lay off the stuff that's killed, or almost killed, many other greats. Bowie looks like he came pretty close in this interview.

I'm no doctor but I wonder if Mick's recent heart valve surgery was somehow connected with the cocaine use, even though it was so long ago.

Drew

Merely stress I think. He had to deal with serious issues in his life. smoking smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 30, 2020 15:41

Keith had his Salt tablets smoking smiley
did Mick have 'em too?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2020 16:00

dcba
Stoneage
Strange thing they have all survived it. Usually drugs takes its toll.

They were as cautious as one can possibly be. They never took "street grade" stuff.

Remember the interview where Keith said he would systematically throw away anything given to him by fans. Like "hey man thank you!!!" then flush it down the John.
Keef didn't want to end like Hendrix who would just swallow or smoke anything.

I guess maybe the paranoia from the drugs in this case was a positive outcome!

Date: August 30, 2020 16:06

drewmaster
Bowie looks like he came pretty close in this interview.

Drew

Around the 4.00 mark Bowie really acts and looks like Keith in the early 80's...
grinning smiley eye popping smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 16:25

Cocaine...all in my brain...

Well cocaine use had some intense implications for folks who are over 30. My brother recently had a brain bleed from high blood pressure and cocaine use. I am sure after Keiths coconut tree adventure he was advised to stay away from it because of the higher risk of a brain bleed and strokes.

No doubt from so many accounts Mick was a voracious coke user. Him and Bowie reportedly had a lot of fun with each other doing blow and blowing.

Cocain causes high blood pressure. Puts immense strain on your kidneys. And raises the risk of a brain bleed. Long term use increases risk of stroke, heart attack and depression.

Date: August 30, 2020 16:53

whitem8

Cocain causes high blood pressure. Puts immense strain on your kidneys. And raises the risk of a brain bleed. Long term use increases risk of stroke, heart attack and depression.

But it's a wonderful laxative!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 30, 2020 17:39

Testify
I remember very well an interview with Jerry Hall,I think in the mid 80s, where he tells how difficult it was to convince Mick to get rid of drugs, I guess he was referring to cocaine, but possible that he also used amphetamines.

No that was heroin. I dont think they even considered cocaine as a hard drug.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 30, 2020 17:41

Mick evidently lives an incredibly health-conscious lifestyle. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to perform in such a way, otherwise. He probably adheres to a strict calorie-deficit diet. Although he’s not teetotal, I’m sure he drinks very little. He probably dabbled with cocaine socially, but as he seemingly loves to be rampant into his 70’s, I’m sure he’s very aware that cocaine will severely hinder his sex life!

Date: August 30, 2020 18:09

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 30, 2020 18:57

My point, exactly: a half-pint of Guinness. He’s very aware, is our Mick.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 30, 2020 19:25

Its the lactose often used to cut coke that causes the poopy effect. On its own it is not a laxative. The reason some get confused is the tendency amongst hard core users to go hide in the loo where they don't have to share.

I am often astounded by what I read here. Seems a lot here think they are talking about the Boy Scouts. At least a couple of these Scouts based up all the blow they could get their hands on whenever they could get their hands on it.

These are words of wisdom:

>Regrets ... Dont we all ....
>pissed I didnt get up ta more mischief ...

Personally I spent most of my one time fortune on drugs and women, I regret that I wasted the remainder.

You only live once.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 20:12 by jbwelda.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home