Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mick and cocaine
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 29, 2020 18:08

Obviously a ton has been written about Keith's relationship with heroine, but Mick's cocaine usage is far less documented. Any details out there? For example, when did he first use it? When (if at all) was he a regular/heavy user? When did he stop?

Drew

Re: Mick and cocaine
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2020 18:20

Documented? How are we supposed to know this?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 29, 2020 18:32

The only "document" that I can remember seeing is in "@#$%& Blues", the movie.
There is a scene where Mick reaches in a small box with the blade of a knife then picks up some powder with the tip of the blade and he sniffs it. Don't know what type of blow that was.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 29, 2020 18:34

I can't imagine that Jagger took any drugs after 1980 or drank anything but water…

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: August 29, 2020 18:35

I think it is relatively common knowledge that he was regularly using coke from the early 70’s to the late 80’s. He was flying pretty high during the Japanese solo tour in 88.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 29, 2020 19:08

Didnt Mick say in the 94 Sixty Minutes interview he had finally quit drugs? I assumed he was talking about Coke.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-29 20:34 by snorton.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 29, 2020 19:23

What? Mick Jagger using drugs? Oh, please, say its not so.

jb

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 29, 2020 19:41

In the 70's and 80's they all did it. There was even a cover story in Time Magazine about it. How wrong they were. Luckily Mick came out the other side.

[content.time.com]
[content.time.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 29, 2020 19:53

rollmops
The only "document" that I can remember seeing is in "@#$%& Blues", the movie.
There is a scene where Mick reaches in a small box with the blade of a knife then picks up some powder with the tip of the blade and he sniffs it. Don't know what type of blow that was.
Rockandroll,
Mops

This is in crossfire hurricane also I think.

Date: August 29, 2020 20:20

I think some of their songs document their feelings about drugs enough they don't need anything else written about it.

In terms of Mick quitting drink I remember in Houston in 1981 they did shots of Tequila and Mick commented about it. So he must have quit sometime afterwards.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 29, 2020 20:21

slewan
I can't imagine that Jagger took any drugs after 1980 or drank anything but water…

You're not serious?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 29, 2020 20:43

I recall him saying that it took him 25 years to learn that drugs were not a good thing for him. I'm not sure what specifically he was referring to.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 29, 2020 20:56

Things seemed kinds speeded up on the 1981 tour........

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 29, 2020 21:04

Who cares?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 29, 2020 21:12

Cooltoplady
slewan

You're not serious?

beside that he also might occasionally tea – I am serious

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 29, 2020 21:13

No one on earth should be subject to criticism when shared by the accuser!!!

I think baseless attacks should be dismissed by this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-29 21:18 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 29, 2020 21:57

slewan
Cooltoplady
slewan

You're not serious?

Mick has said talked about drinking beer many many times. Up until recently. He looked pretty messed up in 81'82" also. And if you dont think Mick wasn't still using drugs look at his solo tour from 88. Also there are many pics of drinks in Micks hands from 80 on.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 29, 2020 22:10

I always understand and remember Mick said that he never did heavy drugs like heroine or stopped after the first time....

Date: August 29, 2020 22:23

Cooltoplady
slewan
Cooltoplady
slewan

You're not serious?

Mick has said talked about drinking beer many many times. Up until recently. He looked pretty messed up in 81'82" also. And if you dont think Mick wasn't still using drugs look at his solo tour from 88. Also there are many pics of drinks in Micks hands from 80 on.

There are pics of drinks in Mick's hands as recent as last year.

BTW, I remember reading an interview with Mick where he said that he did coke before an ER press conference. That was in a book, too. Can't remember which one.

The 60 minutes interview was revealing. He said he had being doing drugs much longer than many fans thought.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 29, 2020 23:30

Chris Fountain
No one on earth should be subject to criticism when shared by the accuser!!!

I think baseless attacks should be dismissed by this forum.

I haven't read a single 'attack' in this thread, baseless or otherwise. Just a question and a few differing answers.

What are you talking about?

Date: August 29, 2020 23:33

I remember when they were frisked in the customs before the Gothenburg gig in June 1982. Bill Wyman said it was silly and that they had stopped doing drugs in 70s and were all clean now.
Look at me, he said. I'm drinking tea now...

Date: August 29, 2020 23:44

Strange thing they have all survived it. Usually drugs takes its toll. There are many examples of that in the music business. Either suddenly (overdose) or in the long term due to poor health.
The net is full of jokes about Keith surviving everything. Like a cat with nine lives...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 29, 2020 23:50

Stoneage
Strange thing they have all survived it. Usually drugs takes its toll.

They were as cautious as one can possibly be. They never took "street grade" stuff.

Remember the interview where Keith said he would systematically throw away anything given to him by fans. Like "hey man thank you!!!" then flush it down the John.
Keef didn't want to end like Hendrix who would just swallow or smoke anything.

Date: August 29, 2020 23:50

Of course Jagger did quite some cocaine, but he also knew when to reject it/ was in control. He took full responsibility about business. I respect that.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 29, 2020 23:53

I remember very well an interview with Jerry Hall,I think in the mid 80s, where he tells how difficult it was to convince Mick to get rid of drugs, I guess he was referring to cocaine, but possible that he also used amphetamines.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:00

ultimaterocker
I think it is relatively common knowledge that he was regularly using coke from the early 70’s to the late 80’s. He was flying pretty high during the Japanese solo tour in 88.
On the 88 solo tour it was actually quite evident!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:14

I remember reading something in Greenfield's "Stones Touring Party" about Mick feeling shattered af one of the 1972 concerts and telling that he couldn't go on like that. My guess is that moment must have been the turning point and that from there on he started to work on improving his physical condition. It may have taken some time, but it worked out very well as many could experience 47 years down the road during the 2019 tour, even undergoing surgery before starting that tour.

Date: August 30, 2020 00:21

Testify
I remember very well an interview with Jerry Hall,I think in the mid 80s, where he tells how difficult it was to convince Mick to get rid of drugs, I guess he was referring to cocaine, but possible that he also used amphetamines.

As far as I read it Hall was disgusted by the fact that Jagger was smoking cigarettes with heroine. She didn't want anything to with him until he quit.So he did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 00:21 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:35

Bill Wyman had his tongue firmly in cheek when he made that remark.

This is the Rolling Stones we are talking about. And from what I have heard, there were times when Keef was not above walking around NYC trying to score on the street. Its the reality of being a junkie, Rolling Stone or not. It gets desperate.

And realize pretty much anything you read has been sanitized, unless its specifically for the shock value. No one is going to go around admitting to the true extent of the reality. Like Wyman saying oh we were all clean by the 70s. What do you expect him to say? He has to cross an international border later that day and every day. Keith learned early that wearing a button that says "Things Go Better With Coke" or something doesn't work out very well for very long, especially not in airports or anywhere in public for that matter.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:42

.......... all down the line ........

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50