Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
whats the best stones vinyl to have
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 27, 2020 13:23

while always updating my cd and dvd collection and having come to a long standing conclusion that not only is it expensive as a stones fan but also a journey i might never conclude especially due to the fact the stones are always releasing something from the vaults in various formats and that they have a very complicated discography, but its an aim im going to stick with anyway.

but recently i was looking at my scant stones vinyl collection, mainly bought in the late 80,s of various remastered vinyl of studio albums from out of our heads up to steel wheels and also metamorphosis, gimme shelter, rolled gold, solid rock and slow rollers i realize i need to not only fill in the gaps, add in the newer stuff also and update to a more modern format.

was looking at various box collections from 1963-1969 mono recordings, also 1971 to 2016 box set and also toying with the idea of just buying individually which could include the updated remastered 2020 versions of various studio albums as well.

the box sets are very expensive though and with the vaults still to be concluded in vinyl was wondering if its worth the cost,

i mean its not easy to update a stones collection without much duplication, so wondering what everyone else does and cheers for any suggestions put forward.

Re: whats the best stones vinyl to have
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 27, 2020 13:28

The mono box.
That's wonderful.

Date: August 27, 2020 13:33

Get the stuff you're missing off Discogs.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:12

If I were going to buy vinyl albums I would
proceed as follows, however I already have
all of the following on vinyl:

If buying 3 vinyl albums:
1. Let It Bleed
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Exile On Main Street

If buying 4 vinyl albums, then add:
4. Beggars Banquet

If buying 7 vinyl albums, then add:
5. Some Girls
6. Emotional Rescue
7. Tattoo You

If buying 8 vinyl albums, then add:
8. Steel Wheels

If buying more than 8 vinyl albums, then start picking
albums from very early in their career.

Note that the two most important live albums
in my opinion would be:
– Get Yer Ya Yas Out
– Still Life

Other:
– Stripped

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-27 17:45 by Chacho.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:22

Anything round and black

Rod

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 27, 2020 18:27

I would look for original release Decca (early years) and UK Rolling Stones Records releases. Anything other than original releases tend to be compromised in one way or another. Plenty of original releases still around for reasonable money if you look and be patient.

jb

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 27, 2020 18:29

I have just one vinyl: The Five by five Ep from 1964. smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 27, 2020 19:09

Bjorn
I have just one vinyl: The Five by five Ep from 1964. smiling smiley

I have that, too. Must’ve payed around £10 for it. Sleeve is a little worn and there’s a few surface scratches on the vinyl. Plays nicely enough, however. A nice record for the collection. Without Five by Five, there’d be no 12x5; considering the Stones’ second U.S. LP is based around it. It’s worth looking out for the Rolling Stones (EP) and the Got Live If You Want It! (EP), too. It’s a little surprising there were not more U.K. EP’s considering how huge the format was in the U.K. and across Europe. The American youth could afford LP’s, of course!

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: August 28, 2020 00:59

Hello,

I have a lot of Rolling Stones on vinyl, what can I say, buy all that you can. I grow up in the vinyl era.

I started buying vinyls at the old www.cdnow.com when almost nobody care about vinyls. The only vinyls you could buy at that time were the few that they have in stock, vinyls were new but not new editions as today. At that time I could purchase many of the 60 era.

bye
Fernando

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: August 28, 2020 03:03

All the studio LP's US and/or UK (if feasible) from '64's England's Newest Hitmakers through '83's Undercover.

If you can find it get the TSMR (with the psychedelic cover), BB (bathroom graffiti) & SF (with real zipper cover).

Live:
Got Live If You Want It
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Love You Live
Still Life
Gimme Shelter

Compilation:
Metamorphosis
Flowers
Hot Rocks
Big Hits & Fazed Cookies
Through The Past Darkly
High Tide & Green Grass (Bird's Eye lens cover)
Solid Rock
Rewind
Sucking In the 70's
Made In The Shade
...among others. you really can't go wrong with the official Stones comp's.

*Singles Collection: The London Years 4LP boxset

RS- WIki Discography

5X5 EP is a solid add.

On Air (live at the BBC)

Good luck.

Date: August 28, 2020 03:31

I have both Sticky Fingers and Some Girls MFSL Original Master Discs and they are absolutely the best sounding vinyl I have heard.
Although technology probably prevented some of the very early 1960's albums from sounding as good, t least at the time these albums were released. I think I have had them since the early 1980's.

I still have a copy of each still sealed. I went to CD's soon after I bought the albums and at that time is listened to CD's out of convenience unlike today where I prefer vinyl.

Perhaps there are others on here who know the technical side of why these albums have the sound they have. They just seem to have a better feel than some of the rereleases I have heard on vinyl.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2020 03:40

I have both Sticky Fingers and Some Girls MFSL Original Master Discs

Hey Yeah I got dem both plus from memory two
test pressing of Some Girls MFSL ....

And the MFSL 11 album box ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2020 03:43

Theres about three of the 11 album MSLF
for sale ranging from around a grand up to five G ......

[www.ebay.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2020 03:44

Looks like ya gonna be livin' on
fresh air and mince meat buttons ....hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 03:45 by Rockman.

Date: August 28, 2020 03:47

Rockman
I have both Sticky Fingers and Some Girls MFSL Original Master Discs

Hey Yeah I got dem both plus from memory two
test pressing of Some Girls MFSL ....

And the MFSL 11 album box ....

I also have one of the Dark Side of the Moon MFSL UHQR copies only 5000 made and the sound is 10 times better than on official release.

Date: August 28, 2020 03:53

watch out for those sticky fingers LPs with the zipper, that zipper is a record killer. Will leave an indent in your record where it presses against it. Best to put the zipper down so it will indent the label and not the playing surface, or store it so it doesnt get pressed on by other records. If buying used look at record before paying because most by now are damaged or ruined by that zipper.

jb

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 28, 2020 11:29

In my opinion, the vinyl records one should have are the entire US and UK discogrpahies. Nothing else, nothing more. I can say so after 40+ years of record collecting and after having spent a lot after 'useless' pressings from almost every place of the planet. A British group that invaded the USA: this is what we're talking about. That said, I do buy records coming from Canada and Ireland because stricktly connected to the Countries I collect. Multiple copies? Yes, of course...
My personal point of view, obviously!

Date: August 28, 2020 11:30

KevinM
All the studio LP's US and/or UK (if feasible) from '64's England's Newest Hitmakers through '83's Undercover.

If you can find it get the TSMR (with the psychedelic cover), BB (bathroom graffiti) & SF (with real zipper cover).

Live:
Got Live If You Want It
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Love You Live
Still Life
Gimme Shelter

Compilation:
Metamorphosis
Flowers
Hot Rocks
Big Hits & Fazed Cookies
Through The Past Darkly
Solid Rock
Rewind
Sucking In the 70's
Made In The Shade

RS- WIki Discography

5X5 EP is a solid add.

On Air (live at the BBC)

Good luck.

Gimme Shelter is tracks from GLIYWI.

Date: August 28, 2020 12:27

DandelionPowderman
KevinM

Live:
Got Live If You Want It
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Love You Live
Still Life
Gimme Shelter

Compilation:
Metamorphosis
Flowers
Hot Rocks
Big Hits & Fazed Cookies
Through The Past Darkly
Solid Rock
Rewind
Sucking In the 70's
Made In The Shade

RS- WIki Discography

5X5 EP is a solid add.

On Air (live at the BBC)

Good luck.

Gimme Shelter is tracks from GLIYWI.

I have 2 completely different LP's with some overlap of songs. I don't know if the overlapped versions are the same as I haven't listened to either since the early 1980's. There are 6 songs highlighted below, that aren't on GS.

GLIYWI: (London '66), recordings from 63-66

Side 1
1. "Under My Thumb" 2:46
2. "Get Off of My Cloud" 2:54
3. "Lady Jane" 3:05
4. "Not Fade Away" (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin) 2:00
5. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Otis Redding/Jerry Butler) 2:53
6. "Fortune Teller" (Naomi Neville) 2:09

Side 2
1. "The Last Time" 3:09
2. "19th Nervous Breakdown" 3:24

3. "Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade) 2:49
4. "I'm Alright" (Ellas McDaniel) 2:21
5. "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?" 2:16
6. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" 3:45

Versus... RS - Gimme Shelter (live LP, Decca)

Side 1

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Love in Vain" (Robert Johnson)
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"

Side 2

"Under My Thumb"
"Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade)
"I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Otis Redding, Jerry Butler)
"Fortune Teller" (Naomi Neville)
"Lady Jane"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 12:36 by KevinM.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: August 28, 2020 13:51

For vinyl audiophiles there is one clear winner for sheer sound quality. Aftermath. Obviously hunt out a proper original vinyl version, ie pre digital rubbish!!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 28, 2020 15:54

Buy every record ... it's always the Stones

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 28, 2020 18:37

Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)

The original one with the great folder.

That was the first Stones LP I got. Was a Christmas Present from my parents.
Still have the original folder. The disc is long worn out. But I bought several
new vinyl version of it without the folder.

Date: August 28, 2020 19:12

Gimme Shelter, wasnt that a straight compilation lifted off GLIYWI (one side) and GYYYO (the other side) with the exception of the title track. I don't have the record...is the song GS the studio version, the live cut from the movie soundtrack, or something else? I never bought the record because it just seemed like a redundant rip off to me. And its funny, they used the two tracks from GLIYWI that are studio tracks with phony audience sounds mixed in (in one of the two channels if I remember right).

jb

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 28, 2020 20:17

Steel Wheels was the last Stones Lp I bought. Great joy, and all of that, but two years later I sold my vinyl collection. I thought that the CD had come to stay, and that there was no way going back on that matter. That´s life - you live and learn. But luckily I saved my Five by five Ep. Hopefully CD:s will be worth millions in the future... cool smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 28, 2020 20:41

I have never really been a collector of the Stones vinyl, preferring everything on CD, and even there I do have plenty enough holes to plug these days. However, I have in more recent years added to the vinyl collection. For instance, I bought LIAGT on orange vinyl; have the 12" of Satisfaction released a few years back; the 50th anniv of Beggars; and the rerelease of the Spanish Sticky Fingers from a few years back. There are vinyl boxsets that I have, too. I have also thought about building out the vinyl collection starting with the Vault releases. The problem is that they are so dam expensive! Roughly $50 for something I will never even open let alone listen to, and my 2nd wife does NOT understand/appreciate my need for any physical copies of anything - movies, music, books, etc. So, that makes things a bit harder, too. I would like to have the complete Sticky Fingers collection on Vinyl - original, Spanish, Vault, and Russian.

All that being said, I think I'd first get the unedited vinyl version of Live Licks!!!! >grinning smiley<eye rolling smileydrinking smileyhot smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 28, 2020 21:10

Living in a ghost town – since I have only two Stones vinyls (the other one is She's A Rainbow (live from Paris)

Date: August 28, 2020 22:57

VoodooLounge13
I have never really been a collector of the Stones vinyl, preferring everything on CD, and even there I do have plenty enough holes to plug these days. However, I have in more recent years added to the vinyl collection. For instance, I bought LIAGT on orange vinyl; have the 12" of Satisfaction released a few years back; the 50th anniv of Beggars; and the rerelease of the Spanish Sticky Fingers from a few years back. There are vinyl boxsets that I have, too. I have also thought about building out the vinyl collection starting with the Vault releases. The problem is that they are so dam expensive! Roughly $50 for something I will never even open let alone listen to, and my 2nd wife does NOT understand/appreciate my need for any physical copies of anything - movies, music, books, etc. So, that makes things a bit harder, too. I would like to have the complete Sticky Fingers collection on Vinyl - original, Spanish, Vault, and Russian.

All that being said, I think I'd first get the unedited vinyl version of Live Licks!!!! >grinning smiley<eye rolling smileydrinking smileyhot smiley

This is the exact reason my first marriage ended. I just had to tell her I loved the Stones more!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 29, 2020 22:04

georgemcdonnell314
VoodooLounge13

This is the exact reason my first marriage ended. I just had to tell her I loved the Stones more!

Right??!! I feel like there needs to be some semblance of understanding here with this!!!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 30, 2020 08:14

Get the latest reissues on vinyl, ie the 'half speed mastered' ones. I've just got ABB from this series and it sounds quite good.

If you have more time hunt for some late 70's reissues, they sound great and are usually cheap. That's how I built my own collection.

Date: August 30, 2020 08:58

VoodooLounge13
georgemcdonnell314
VoodooLounge13

Right??!! I feel like there needs to be some semblance of understanding here with this!!!

I like how you refer to your current wife as "my 2nd wife", this made me laugh.

Sorry she doesn't "get it". Maybe you can think of something that she "has to have" in physical form, but is cheaper/easier etc. in digital form? Maybe try telling her the (sealed) LP's are likely to go up in value, so it's more of an investment vs. hobby. Or, if she wears make-up, suggest cheaper make-up vs. the (way overpriced) more expensive crap. Or regular but decent clothes, instead of high-end stuff? Or, just be happy you're not spending it on gambling, drugs & alcohol, other women, useless crap etc. Just a few suggestions, hope it helps. smiling smiley

Disclaimer: I'm not a marriage counselor, nor do I "identify" as one (as the millenials say). Hoping she comes around on the LP's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 08:59 by KevinM.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home