Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: OT- Van Morrison launches a campaign to “save live music”
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 26, 2020 12:05

Chris Fountain
My State of Florida has lifted all restrictions as of Friday. I'm still practicing safe guidelines. Also I refuse to go to a Diner any time soon.

I haven't ventured to a restaurant as of yet. However, my few visits to the pub have gone reasonably well. There is social distancing and table service. I, personally, have no fears. Actually, unless sat at the table, it's now mandatory to wear a face-covering inside the premises; doubly safe!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 12, 2020 01:37

longlongwinter
200k is a lot yes but they label so many deaths with 'Covid' even if they had cancer or many other deadly illnesses. The flu and many other things cause a lot of death yearly yet we never shut down everything for them. Even the CDC just released survival rates for those infected with Covid in the US- it's 99.5% for all under 70 and 94.5% for those over 70. You have a better chance dying of cancer or a heart attack. Wake up, you're being played

So tell me how many hospital ICUs have you visited? How many mortuaries have you visited. THIS IS NOT THE FLU! It is 2-5 times more lethal than the flu. I have numerous friends who have lost family, and I have family who have lost loved ones. I have gone to help counsel front line health care workers in the hospital and you insult every one of them who are working tirelessly to keep idiots like you safe. You must be brainwashed and part of some cult. I urge you to go to your local hospital and talk with them. Talk to mortuary owners. THIS IS NOT FAKE NOR IS IT BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION. You are fake and blown out of proportion.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 12, 2020 08:47

Hey Van, how's this working out for ya?

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2020 08:54

Has that pathetic POS shut up finally?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 27, 2020 17:58

Sorry to see Clapton join Van in this..

Music Legends Eric Clapton, Van Morrison Team for Anti-Lockdown Single ‘Stand and Deliver

Music legends Van Morrison and Eric Clapton have announced a new single, “Stand and Deliver,” in support of Morrison’s Save Live Music campaign. The blues track was written by Morrison and is performed by Clapton.

Morrison, best known for songs like “Brown Eyed Girl,” “Domino” and “Wild Night,” as well as seminal albums “Moondance” and “Astral Weeks,” released three songs protesting the U.K. lockdown over September and October, titled “Born To Be Free,” “As I Walked Out” and “No More Lockdown.”

Proceeds from “Stand and Deliver” will go to the Morrison’s Lockdown Financial Hardship Fund, which helps musicians facing difficulties as a result of the coronavirus and resulting lockdown measures.

Clapton — the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — called the dearth of live events due to lockdown restrictions “deeply upsetting.”

“There are many of us who support Van and his endeavors to save live music; he is an inspiration,” Clapton said. “We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess. The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover.”
[variety.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 27, 2020 18:41

^ Agreed

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 27, 2020 18:41

MisterDDDD
Sorry to see Clapton join Van in this..

Music Legends Eric Clapton, Van Morrison Team for Anti-Lockdown Single ‘Stand and Deliver

Music legends Van Morrison and Eric Clapton have announced a new single, “Stand and Deliver,” in support of Morrison’s Save Live Music campaign. The blues track was written by Morrison and is performed by Clapton.

Morrison, best known for songs like “Brown Eyed Girl,” “Domino” and “Wild Night,” as well as seminal albums “Moondance” and “Astral Weeks,” released three songs protesting the U.K. lockdown over September and October, titled “Born To Be Free,” “As I Walked Out” and “No More Lockdown.”

Proceeds from “Stand and Deliver” will go to the Morrison’s Lockdown Financial Hardship Fund, which helps musicians facing difficulties as a result of the coronavirus and resulting lockdown measures.

Clapton — the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — called the dearth of live events due to lockdown restrictions “deeply upsetting.”

“There are many of us who support Van and his endeavors to save live music; he is an inspiration,” Clapton said. “We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess. The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover.”
[variety.com]

Oh man...ugh. Sorry to see it, too.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 27, 2020 19:47

As long as they are working sensibly I am not sorry but very glad to read this. Live music is one of the greatest gifts of mankind and needs to saved. Of course this virus is very dangerous, and getting it under control is the priority at the moment. Yet musicians have the right (and maybe the duty) to think about the future. It is not smart to wish anybody who wants to get together with others a bullet or a stick. Do not get me wrong please, responsible behaviour in the times of a pandemic is important and matter of respect.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 28, 2020 07:04

windmelody
As long as they are working sensibly I am not sorry but very glad to read this. Live music is one of the greatest gifts of mankind and needs to saved....

Agree! Living like hermits is basically being dead anyway.

Date: November 28, 2020 18:48

LeonidP
windmelody
As long as they are working sensibly I am not sorry but very glad to read this. Live music is one of the greatest gifts of mankind and needs to saved....

When you are dead, let us know if its the same. In 6 months things will be better hopefully. If the choice is going out catching it and dying in the next 45 days or being careful, staying in through the winter and being able to live a normal life after the winter I would surely choose the latter.

Life music does need to be saved and supported but allowing packed indoor venues and spreading a virus that kills people is just foolish IMHO. If Van or Clapton catch Covid at a show there is a high probability they will be doing a collaboration with John Prine, Toots Hibbart, Ellis Marsalis, Adam Schlesinger who are artists I have seen who died of Covid.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 28, 2020 19:05

Read this today on twitter:

"Least-interesting member of every band he was ever in; wrote maybe six good songs in 50 years; was knighted for being the Pat Boone of blues guitar; supported—and still defends—Enoch Powell; turned family tragedy into a career move; made the worst electronica cash-in of all time."

I pretty much agree.

Date: November 28, 2020 19:56

Yeah, he's taking a beating on social media, as Van did.
All for efforts to "save live music", but so many other ways to help that cause rather than protesting lockdowns etc.

Especially short sighted at this stage of the pandemic with a vaccine on the horizon.
Just plain stupid, and will negatively affect their career and legacy permanently.

Date: November 28, 2020 20:05

daspyknows
LeonidP
windmelody

When you are dead, let us know if its the same. In 6 months things will be better hopefully. If the choice is going out catching it and dying in the next 45 days or being careful, staying in through the winter and being able to live a normal life after the winter I would surely choose the latter.

Life music does need to be saved and supported but allowing packed indoor venues and spreading a virus that kills people is just foolish IMHO. If Van or Clapton catch Covid at a show there is a high probability they will be doing a collaboration with John Prine, Toots Hibbart, Ellis Marsalis, Adam Schlesinger who are artists I have seen who died of Covid.

Dear Sir, I am not dead yet, and I did not write that one should allow packed indoor venues. Being careful and respectful is extremely important, saving lives is as important, avoiding hysteria is important as well.

Date: November 28, 2020 20:59

windmelody

Dear Sir, I am not dead yet, and I did not write that one should allow packed indoor venues. Being careful and respectful is extremely important, saving lives is as important, avoiding hysteria is important as well.

You didn't and it wasn't directed at you. Have you caught it? If you have not you lack the perspective of personal experience. Avoiding hysteria is important but when avoiding hysteria is the analogy of dismissing this pandemic as a real public health crisis then maybe some hysteria is necessary. Thousands of preventable deaths per day are happening in places where people are disregarding the public health recommendations and many survivors have long term or permanent damage to their health.

Date: November 28, 2020 21:05

daspyknows
windmelody

You didn't and it wasn't directed at you. Have you caught it? If you have not you lack the perspective of personal experience. Avoiding hysteria is important but when avoiding hysteria is the analogy of dismissing this pandemic as a real public health crisis then maybe some hysteria is necessary. Thousands of preventable deaths per day are happening in places where people are disregarding the public health recommendations and many survivors have long term or permanent damage to their health.

Of course I agree with you, this is a crisis. I did not catch it yet, I am glad you survived it and I hope you have made a full recovery. Good luck to you, Sir!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 11:14 by windmelody.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: November 28, 2020 23:11

MisterDDDD
All for efforts to "save live music", but so many other ways to help that cause rather than protesting lockdowns etc.

Especially short sighted at this stage of the pandemic with a vaccine on the horizon.
Just plain stupid, and will negatively affect their career and legacy permanently.

Why so much negativity? If you are too scared of this whole thing, fine, stay home, but don't put down others in their struggle to go ahead and put some perspective to it.
I can't see either Vans or Erics legacy being affected. Why would it? Because some cynical, short sighted fans on a Stones forum say so?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 28, 2020 23:30

The media is drudging up Clapton's unfortunate "Keep England White" remarks from long ago, as if that has anything to do with his apparent blasphemous alliance with Morrison. He's trying to help out unemployed music people while trying to prevent the death of live music but somehow that's a bad thing and Clapton needs to be canceled for bucking the tide. My own feeling, unpopular as it is in these parts, is open things up strategically and thoughtfully. But this has gone on far too long. And I for one won't be taking any vaccine.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2020 23:43

I'll always appreciate Eric and Van's music just as I always have in the past - most of it anyways.
But some of us are able to separate their idiocy and their art, while evidently others aren't able to.

When I hear Clapton shredding a classic blues lick will I suddenly think of his ignorant stance on corona restrictions?
Of course not, but I might think of the funny "Pat Boone of blues guitar" label he was given on twitter lol.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 29, 2020 01:03

Hairball
I'll always appreciate Eric and Van's music just as I always have in the past - most of it anyways.
But some of us are able to separate their idiocy and their art, while evidently others aren't able to.

When I hear Clapton shredding a classic blues lick will I suddenly think of his ignorant stance on corona restrictions?
Of course not, but I might think of the funny "Pat Boone of blues guitar" label he was given on twitter lol.

Little Richard's excoriation of Pat Boone's "Tutti Frutti" is classic.

Date: November 29, 2020 02:49

calipachangero
MisterDDDD

Why so much negativity? If you are too scared of this whole thing, fine, stay home, but don't put down others in their struggle to go ahead and put some perspective to it.
I can't see either Vans or Erics legacy being affected. Why would it? Because some cynical, short sighted fans on a Stones forum say so?

Calling I short-sighted and stupid is not really "so much" negativity as it plain truth.
Again, even if I agreed with their stance, no other word for it than stupid.

Help the artists, help the venues, come out with music that benefits both, do fundraisers etc., but to come out with an "anti-lockdown" stance, at this point (or any)of the pandemic, borders on crazy.
Basically willing to put people in harms way, where there is no real need to. Damn shame, really.

Can't take away any of the great music or accomplishments from these legends, and I will still enjoy what's out there, but going forward I wouldn't $upport either.
Lost a lot of respect from fans, by having no respect for them or others imo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2020 03:25

bleedingman
The media is drudging up Clapton's unfortunate "Keep England White" remarks from long ago, as if that has anything to do with his apparent blasphemous alliance with Morrison. He's trying to help out unemployed music people while trying to prevent the death of live music but somehow that's a bad thing and Clapton needs to be canceled for bucking the tide. My own feeling, unpopular as it is in these parts, is open things up strategically and thoughtfully. But this has gone on far too long. And I for one won't be taking any vaccine.

So if it comes down to you getting the virus several times and having permanent organ damage or, I dunno, dying, you won't get the vaccine?

That's kind of smart.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 29, 2020 05:58

daspyknows
LeonidP
windmelody

6 months? For one thing, that seems unlikely, even w/ a vaccine i see it taking longer (of course i could be wrong). I can totally seeing the press report the few cases that will certainly result in bad-side effects, minimal as they may be, and exaggerate them so that many will be paranoid about taking the vaccine.

And another thing, the press is certainly going to blow out of proportion the next deadly virus, flu strain, whatever it may be, and now that people are used to this, they are going to say "we have to quarantine!". I'm not prepared to spend the rest of my life alone in my home. We are all getting older, I'm not even prepared to spare 5% of my time left alone.

Be safe? Sure! ... Isolate? Not a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 05:59 by LeonidP.

Date: November 29, 2020 06:13

^ Tell me how you are going to be safe. This I've got to hear.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 29, 2020 11:23

bleedingman
The media is drudging up Clapton's unfortunate "Keep England White" remarks from long ago,

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands … So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white … The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f*cking Jamaicans don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man … This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f*ck’s sake? … Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!”

Unfortunate...

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 29, 2020 17:33

BowieStone
bleedingman
The media is drudging up Clapton's unfortunate "Keep England White" remarks from long ago,

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands … So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white … The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f*cking Jamaicans don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man … This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f*ck’s sake? … Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!”

Unfortunate...

I am an avid fan of Clapton — have seen him more than 100 times for over forty-five years. That does not mean I accept everything he does or says. The infamous racial rant and support for Enoch Powell being one example, obviously.

However, in regard to his derogatory remarks above, which have been quoted a number of times and widespread through the internet, I have been intrigued by one persistent question that has to be answered — whose credit is the transcription of this for?

It would be safe to assume that, to write down a statement of this length as exactly spoken on stage as possible, the transcriber surely needs the audio-recorded document made by either a member of the touring team or someone among the audience. *Strangely enough, I’ve never come across the existence of a live tape or a vinyl/CD bootleg from that night (Odeon Theatre, Birmingham, August 5, 1976). Under such circumstances, I can’t help but wonder who did the transcribing job and how.

There is no doubt that Clapton made a racial remark and announced a support for Enoch Powell there and then — even he admits that albeit in an ambiguous manner (e.g. “I was a semi-racist.”). However, to deal with such a sensitive matter as this case, evidence of recorded form is essential for an exact copy of what was articulated on the site. If in case the transcriber did the job without the recorded document, in what way did he or she manage to do it?

I have searched and googled the matter for a number of years, but so far failed to find the origin of the primary source, who typed out the notorious quote in the first place and where the responsibility for the wording of this statement lies. I know the music paper Sounds gave it a sizable coverage back then although I haven’t obtained the original copy.

If anybody has information as regards above, I would be grateful for the enlightenment.

As for his support for the anti-lockdown...well, I said in the beginning, I don’t accept everything he does or says.

*Marc Roberty’s Book, Eric Clapton Day By Day: The Early Years, 1963-1982, publishes the setlist of the day, which may imply the existence of a live tape circulated in the closed circle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 19:35 by RisingStone.

Date: November 29, 2020 20:12

RisingStone
I am an avid fan of Clapton — have seen him more than 100 times for over forty-five years. That does not mean I accept everything he does or says. The infamous racial rant and support for Enoch Powell being one example, obviously.

However, in regard to his derogatory remarks above, which have been quoted a number of times and widespread through the internet, I have been intrigued by one persistent question that has to be answered — whose credit is the transcription of this for?

It would be safe to assume that, to write down a statement of this length as exactly spoken on stage as possible, the transcriber surely needs the audio-recorded document made by either a member of the touring team or someone among the audience. *Strangely enough, I’ve never come across the existence of a live tape or a vinyl/CD bootleg from that night (Odeon Theatre, Birmingham, August 5, 1976). Under such circumstances, I can’t help but wonder who did the transcribing job and how.

There is no doubt that Clapton made a racial remark and announced a support for Enoch Powell there and then — even he admits that albeit in an ambiguous manner (e.g. “I was a semi-racist.”). However, to deal with such a sensitive matter as this case, evidence of recorded form is essential for an exact copy of what was articulated on the site. If in case the transcriber did the job without the recorded document, in what way did he or she manage to do it?

I have searched and googled the matter for a number of years, but so far failed to find the origin of the primary source, who typed out the notorious quote in the first place and where the responsibility for the wording of this statement lies. I know the music paper Sounds gave it a sizable coverage back then although I haven’t obtained the original copy.

If anybody has information as regards above, I would be grateful for the enlightenment.

As for his support for the anti-lockdown...well, I said in the beginning, I don’t accept everything he does or says.

*Marc Roberty’s Book, Eric Clapton Day By Day: The Early Years, 1963-1982, publishes the setlist of the day, which may imply the existence of a live tape circulated in the closed circle.

Never an avid fan, so not so hard for me to accept the reality of his comments.
I believe you likely are putting up much more of a dispute over them than he ever has. He has acknowledged it, apologized for it, and tried to explain/rationalize it even.
He claims he was a different person then, and was deep in the throws of his alcoholism.

Fine by me, people and times change, not going to hold it against him, but when you take another public stance that's offensive and contrary to most, well.. people are going to add them together.
A shame, really.

Not seen the "Life In Twelve Bars" doc about him before, but looks good.
In it he acknowledges the incident(s),

Eric Clapton opens up – even on his bizarre racist period
Lili Zanuck’s documentary doesn’t shy away from the musician’s darkest days
[www.irishtimes.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 29, 2020 22:29

MisterDDDD

Never an avid fan, so not so hard for me to accept the reality of his comments.
I believe you likely are putting up much more of a dispute over them than he ever has. He has acknowledged it, apologized for it, and tried to explain/rationalize it even.
He claims he was a different person then, and was deep in the throws of his alcoholism.

Fine by me, people and times change, not going to hold it against him, but when you take another public stance that's offensive and contrary to most, well.. people are going to add them together.
A shame, really.

Not seen the "Life In Twelve Bars" doc about him before, but looks good.
In it he acknowledges the incident(s),

Eric Clapton opens up – even on his bizarre racist period
Lili Zanuck’s documentary doesn’t shy away from the musician’s darkest days
[www.irishtimes.com]

“I was a semi-racist” is a quote from A Life In 12 Bars. The film mentions the Birmingham incident, but doesn’t capture the moment directly.

I don’t deny Clapton made a racist remark. He did for sure.
I’m not talking about what he did. I’m questioning how he did.

He may have made that disgusting statement, every word as intact as quoted and spread through the internet. If the recording of the show including that portion becomes available to a wider public, the truth will be brought to light without any doubt. Even a most ardent fan would have to accept it no matter how hard it is then — what else can one do?

All I want is fairness. To judge a person, do it fairly.
Remember, “12 Angry Men”?

Date: November 29, 2020 22:54

Eric Clapton might have made a mistake decades ago, he apologized, but blaming him nowadays is inappropriate.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 29, 2020 23:25

The woke left will never accept an apology or excuse for something you said or did years ago, they'll want to ban you forever.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 29, 2020 23:57

I don’t know the date of the concert he made this statement, but he was echoing the sentiments of those supporting the National Front in the U.K. There was a period in the 1970’s when they garnered substantial support in areas of high, ethic immigration; like Leicester.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home