Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: OT- Van Morrison launches a campaign to “save live music”
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2020 22:54

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Sir Ivan is a very religious man. He believes in faith foremost. Which means he dismisses reason to a point. Listen to his, especially latter day, lyrics and you would understand.
In Sir Ivan's case I tend to overlook this agenda because he is such a great artist and poet. And great artists are sometimes flawed. Like the rest of us...

I think you mean 'Sir George Ivan'? smiling smiley

Strange. How awkward. Does he have two first names? By the way, I see now that Bill Perks Jr. is a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE).
There you go. Or is Wikipedia wrong here?

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:30

video: [www.bbc.com] umm- new Van stuff

Date: September 18, 2020 17:39

video: [www.bbc.com] some new van news-hope this one works. lol.

Date: September 18, 2020 17:45

mrjones
video: [www.bbc.com] umm- new Van stuff
Sorry put wrong url on here!!! Don't click on this.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:48

Van Morrison to Release Protest Songs Against Covid-19 Lockdown
Northern Ireland health minister says new songs are “dangerous”

Van Morrison accuses the U.K. government of “taking our freedom” in three new songs bashing the worldwide lockdown to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

In “No More Lockdown,” the most on-the-nose of the three tracks, Morrison plainly lays out his thoughts: “No more lockdown/No more government overreach/No more fascist bullies/Disturbing our peace/No more taking of our freedom/And our God-given rights/Pretending it’s for our safety/When it’s really to enslave.”

In another song, according to the BBC, Morrison references a widely shared Facebook post of a screenshot from the U.K. government’s website, stating that “Covid-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the U.K.” While it is true that Covid-19 currently does not meet the criteria for an HCID in the U.K., it is still highly infectious the world over, with a possibility of a second national lockdown in the U.K. on the horizon, according to the BBC.

Northern Ireland’s health minister Robin Swann has referred to the new trio of Morrison songs as “dangerous,” telling the BBC: “I don’t know where he gets his facts. I know where the emotions are on this, but I will say that sort of messaging is dangerous.”
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 18, 2020 18:48

Makes me sad to say but Van has reached COVIDIOT status. I will still listen to his music but not the songs talked about in the above post. I wonder if he still drinks a lot. His rhetoric sure sounds like people I know who tend to live in bars.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:20

Cuckoo Cuckoo Cuckoo

HEY YOU KIDS, GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!

I would say he has been living in bars for fifty years now. Or perhaps in a basement room with a needle and a spoon.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 19:38 by jbwelda.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:31

Van, Have you got insurance in order to tour ? Will you cover all the expenses incurred from the Pandemic ? in order to perform and tour live ? Have you or will you be able to operate legally ? Do you have a band or musicians to perform with you ? Do you have support acts booked ?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:36

Doesn't bother me. This grade of confusion is often the sign of a true artist. A true artist aging, I might say...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:38

MisterDDDD
Van Morrison to Release Protest Songs Against Covid-19 Lockdown
Northern Ireland health minister says new songs are “dangerous”

Van Morrison accuses the U.K. government of “taking our freedom” in three new songs bashing the worldwide lockdown to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

In “No More Lockdown,” the most on-the-nose of the three tracks, Morrison plainly lays out his thoughts: “No more lockdown/No more government overreach/No more fascist bullies/Disturbing our peace/No more taking of our freedom/And our God-given rights/Pretending it’s for our safety/When it’s really to enslave.”

In another song, according to the BBC, Morrison references a widely shared Facebook post of a screenshot from the U.K. government’s website, stating that “Covid-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the U.K.” While it is true that Covid-19 currently does not meet the criteria for an HCID in the U.K., it is still highly infectious the world over, with a possibility of a second national lockdown in the U.K. on the horizon, according to the BBC.

Northern Ireland’s health minister Robin Swann has referred to the new trio of Morrison songs as “dangerous,” telling the BBC: “I don’t know where he gets his facts. I know where the emotions are on this, but I will say that sort of messaging is dangerous.”
[www.rollingstone.com]

'Dangerous' to offer an alternative.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:40

I have seen Van before but will never buy another $250 ticket to see him again. If he has such a blatant disregard for the health of his fans he doesn't need or deserve my money. Let the Covidiots go, catch it and die.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 18, 2020 19:41

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs

Not a bad cereal but high in Corn Syrup Fructose -which leads to
multiple health problems.

Total was my cereal of choice and Fiber One!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 18, 2020 22:03

Musicians in Nashville are most likely going to file a class action lawsuit against the mayor, who blatantly lied to the public and inflated transmission rates in bars and restaurants. The evidence is plain and clear. I doubt he's the only one guilty of this:
[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 18, 2020 22:46

daspyknows
Let the Covidiots go, catch it and die.

You’re talking out of your arse, but if the average age of Morrison’s fans is around 82-years-old, I concede, you may have a point.

No, I don’t suspect it is the right time to reopen completely and have mass-gathering events, but let’s have some perspective here, please.

Date: September 18, 2020 23:02

Big Al
daspyknows

You’re talking out of your arse, but if the average age of Morrison’s fans is around 82-years-old, I concede, you may have a point.

No, I don’t suspect it is the right time to reopen completely and have mass-gathering events, but let’s have some perspective here, please.

Wow an expert on the topic. If people like you want to go out and take those risks then you deserve whatever happens. If you really think the only people who are dying are people in their 80's then go for it.

Date: September 18, 2020 23:15

Except that then you give it to everyone else.

Its a paradox, but that's better than a pair of docs. Ha ha ha. Even Van, excuse me, Ivan, wouldn't laugh at that one.

He needs some attention.

$250, seriously? I recall turning down an offer to see him at Sweetwater for like five dollars. Never regretted it after seeing him one other time locally. Most boring bs I had endured in years. His songs are of course good to great, but his stage presence, or lack thereof, killed it completely, along with the looney tunes arrangements. He was like some OCD mental case. And this was in the 70s. Can't imagine its gotten a whole lot better, and news like this current does nothing to dispel that notion.

jb

Date: September 19, 2020 00:43

daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows

Wow an expert on the topic. If people like you want to go out and take those risks then you deserve whatever happens. If you really think the only people who are dying are people in their 80's then go for it.

I am aware that younger people have passed away, yes. However, statistically, very, very few. Going by the death certificates I’ve seen - my line of work - the vast majority had dates-of-birth raging from the 1930’s-50’s; most of whom had underlying health-conditions.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:04

bleedingman
Musicians in Nashville are most likely going to file a class action lawsuit against the mayor, who blatantly lied to the public and inflated transmission rates in bars and restaurants. The evidence is plain and clear. I doubt he's the only one guilty of this:
[news.yahoo.com]

The National Review isn't exactly a neutral source, and all the Nashville musicians I know are certainly not going to be filing any lawsuits, given that they're responsible people who support all the necessary precautions.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:42

Aquamarine
bleedingman
[news.yahoo.com]

The National Review isn't exactly a neutral source, and all the Nashville musicians I know are certainly not going to be filing any lawsuits, given that they're responsible people who support all the necessary precautions.

Hopefully we'll find out how accurate this report is. Many musicians who have been affected by this are discussing legal reparations. To be continued...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:53

bleedingman
Aquamarine
bleedingman
[news.yahoo.com]

Hopefully we'll find out how accurate this report is. Many musicians who have been affected by this are discussing legal reparations. To be continued...

Roseanne Cash has been linking her daughter Chelsea's petition to close down the bars/live music venues etc in downtown Nashville for a while, including recently. Must be something not "responsible" going on for Johnny's granddaughter to get involved cool smiley

"Outside of the bars, the streets are packed with maskless people, ignoring mandates. Party buses continue to run, ignoring mandates. If you look at the heat map, published by the mayor himself, you will see that most of the cases are coming from downtown.
Closing at 10 pm is not helping. COVID does not care if it is 9 pm or 1 am."
[www.change.org]

And yikes!! The current covid rate for Nashville is through the roof!
"Over the last week, Tennessee has averaged 1,403 new confirmed cases per day (20.5 for every 100,000 residents). Over the next year, this translates to around 510,000 cases and an estimated 2,600,000 infections (37.5% of the population). Last updated 9/18/2020."
[covidactnow.org]

Date: September 19, 2020 01:55

Big Al
daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows

I am aware that younger people have passed away, yes. However, statistically, very, very few. Going by the death certificates I’ve seen - my line of work - the vast majority had dates-of-birth raging from the 1930’s-50’s; most of whom had underlying health-conditions.

Statistically most people who die of anything except for drug overdoses and accidents are more like to have been born in the 30's-50's than younger so what does that actually prove. Covid deaths are highly preventable if precautions are taken. Why aren't older people dying at similar rates in Canada? Can you explain that or are you just talking out of your arse?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 19, 2020 05:53

Funny, notwithstanding the Covid stuff that a guy who doesn't seem to give a s#!t when he performs is concerned about preserving that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2020 06:08

Via Rock Cellar Magazine

Van Morrison Doubles Down, Plans to Release Three ‘Protest Songs Against Lockdown’ Beginning 9/25
Rock Cellar Magazine Staff on September 18, 2020

In late August, Van Morrison made headlines for a charged essay entitled Save Live Music. In the essay, the Irish singer/songwriter issued a passionate plea to his fellow artists and musicians to eschew the “new reality” of socially distanced concert performances and strict regulations in place, and it reads like a reaction to his own upcoming socially distant performances at a few venues in Europe and the U.K.

The news made waves for obvious reasons, as his words struck a nerve with those on all sides of the issue — and he’s since doubled down on his hard stance, announcing a trio of new songs, or “protest songs against lockdown,” as his official site puts it: Born To Be Free, As I Walked Out, and No More Lockdown are songs of protest which question the measures the Government has put in place. Morrison makes it clear in his new songs how unhappy he is with the way the Government has taken away personal freedoms.

Morrison says: “I’m not telling people what to do or think, the government is doing a great job of that already. It’s about freedom of choice, I believe people should have the right to think for themselves.”
The first song, “Born to Be Free,” will be released on Sept. 25, with the other two following in the weeks ahead.

More. > VAN

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: September 19, 2020 09:26

Love Van’s music but the best way these multi-millionaire artists could save live music is to donate some of their considerable wealth to a national venues fund and not only waffle.

Cheers
SonicD

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2020 14:10

Aquamarine
bleedingman
[news.yahoo.com]

Well, seemingly some of Nashville musicians have that Van Morrison spirit... The angry old man is not alone. But from the base of that linked article I get the impression of 'gotcha' moment, which offers a technical excuse to propagate own stance.

But as far as the stance relies on the statistical fact that no much corona cases in bars, restaurants, nightclubs etc. in Tennessee, well, that seems to contradict with the experiences and data all over the world (and, well, if we are honest, with common sense too). Especially now when the virus is making a 'come back' in Europe, even here in North, it is exactly those places that are worst spreading it. Well, if that is true what the stance claims, then we can only conclude that:
(a) the bars and restaurants (etc.) in Tennessee are exceptional among similar places in the world: they are immune to spreading the virus. Some call this a miracle.
(b) The good people of Tennessee are so much smarter and responsible that they behave the way no one else in the world does in bars and restaurants (etc.) that the virus won't spread. Some might call this a miracle too.

All I can say that to make the argument sound (in order to support the stance and the possible court case) miracles indeed need to happen in Tennessee.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 14:22 by Doxa.

Date: September 19, 2020 17:12

daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows

Statistically most people who die of anything except for drug overdoses and accidents are more like to have been born in the 30's-50's than younger so what does that actually prove. Covid deaths are highly preventable if precautions are taken. Why aren't older people dying at similar rates in Canada? Can you explain that or are you just talking out of your arse?

If you contract covid, what precautions can one take to avoid death? It’s down to general health, age, etc. If you have a weakened immune system, you could be in trouble, potentially. The reason the elderly make-up - by far - the fatality-rate, is because they fit that demographic. So, tell me: in Canada, are as many thirty-year-old’s dying as the elderly inhabitants?

Date: September 19, 2020 18:11

Big Al
daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows
Big Al
daspyknows

If you contract covid, what precautions can one take to avoid death? It’s down to general health, age, etc. If you have a weakened immune system, you could be in trouble, potentially. The reason the elderly make-up - by far - the fatality-rate, is because they fit that demographic. So, tell me: in Canada, are as many thirty-year-old’s dying as the elderly inhabitants?

People are no longer dying of Covid in Canada. A few a day at most because they don't do stupid stuff like many Americans seem to do. Its 10 a day versus one of the 3 leading causes of death in the US. Sounds like you are an advocate of eugenics or think the solutions would be something like the movie Soylent Green. Kill the old people off. If others die in the process, oh well.

Date: September 19, 2020 18:36

>People are no longer dying of Covid in Canada.

>A few a day at most

Would probably be better for your case if you settled on a story. Either they are dying or they are not..."no longer dying" is not equivalent to "a few a day at most". That distinction is particularly important if you happen to be one of the "few".

jb

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 19, 2020 20:12

The story to which bleedingman linked about the mayor of Nashville supposedly covering up statistics on transmission rates in bars was based on a Fox News story. The Fox News story was FALSE and has been retracted.
[www.tennessean.com]

bleedingman
[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 22:54 by bam.

Date: September 20, 2020 00:41

Thank you Bam. Thats why they call it Faux News.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home