Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Stones at The Concert for Bangladesh
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 25, 2020 18:00

I read that John Lennon was going to play at the Concert for Bangladesh,but when George would not allow Yoko on stage with him ,John cancelled.Paul I think was fighting with the others at the time over Apple.I also read George wanted Mick to play as well, but I think the Stones were recording Exile in France at the time.But it would have been the greatest two shows tohave the three Beatles,Stones and Dylan together at the same concert when they were all at close to their peak.

Re: OT: The Stones at The Concert for Bangladesh
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 25, 2020 18:09

Having all these folks together for the show would have been something. Am curious about the "three Beatles". I was and am under the impression that The Beatles were a four person group.

Date: August 25, 2020 18:10

Paul was not going to be there.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 25, 2020 18:32

First: This thread title is most misleading.

Second: Why OT if it was about the Rolling Stones? But it's not about the Stones, instead it is about the absence of the Stones. If they were at Nellcote at that time, it logically means that at that particular time they were not only absent from the Concert for Bangladesh but just as well absent from any other event and place in the whole world.

Third: The three beatles?

Finally, somehow funny, at least a bit.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2020 21:15

I remember reading something about Leon wanting to end his Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood medley by surprising everyone with having Mick jump over the amps and join him for the final chorus of JJF.

Just an idea that was thrown out... some wishful thinking on Leon's part.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 26, 2020 00:18

I can't remember the Stones did any charity concerts in the early day's (except the Nicaragua Benefit concert but that was because Bianca was from Nicaragua) guess Keith wasn't into these things.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 26, 2020 00:42

I never heard the Yoko thing before but I guess it could have happened that way. It was always my understanding that John was elsewhere and simply couldn't get there in time. Same with Paul I guess.

Date: August 26, 2020 04:01

According to Wikipedia and This Day in Music .com, John agreed to play ,with the stipulation Yoko would not.But then Yoko complained to John about this,and John then decided not to appear.Paul was asked to play by George but turned him down.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: August 26, 2020 04:50

NICOS
I can't remember the Stones did any charity concerts in the early day's (except the Nicaragua Benefit concert but that was because Bianca was from Nicaragua) guess Keith wasn't into these things.

Busted in Toronto '77...

"Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones was convicted in 1978 of heroin possession. His sentence? Playing a benefit concert for the CNIB in Toronto. The concert ended up taking place in Oshawa on April 22, 1979."...benefit for the Blind.

The rest of the Stones joined him for 10 out of a 18 song set.

Ketih Richards 1979 Benefit Concert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-26 04:57 by KevinM.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 26, 2020 06:25

Taylor1
According to Wikipedia and This Day in Music .com, John agreed to play ,with the stipulation Yoko would not.But then Yoko complained to John about this,and John then decided not to appear.Paul was asked to play by George but turned him down.

Yeah, thats always the story I've heard. George asked all Beatles. Obviously Ringo showed, Paul declined although George never actually thought he'd say yes. And John actually said yes but it was a clear stipulation from George no Yoko, and John initially agreed to it. Then the rest that he spoke to Yoko, she was furious and John was like "sorry bud, I really would like to." Hard to tell whether its true or not, cause it sounds so John and I believe it but thats why it could be bull. Either way, its the story I've always heard.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 26, 2020 07:15

Paul later said, “I thought, `We just broke up, why get back together so soon?’”

After Yoko kept John back because she wouldn’t be on stage, Allen Klein later said something like, “I knew then who wore the pants in that family.” The helping the canaille was less important than her ego.

A Yoko biography I read said that, when she was a kid in Japan, her class would put on plays. And Yoko would often find something wrong with a play, when she would argue for this and against that. And just incidentally these plays’ flaws would disappear once she had the lead role (that she hadn’t had prior).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 26, 2020 07:57

In fairness to Paul, he's not wrong. And honestly, a Beatles reunion, or anything more than just George and Ringo, would have probably overshadowed the event. IMO Bangladesh has always worked because George stepped up and had to shine, and did it brilliantly, while orchestrating a group of his friends who gave him no trouble (besides Clapton who was practically dead at that point and they booked every flight for him to come and he kept skipping them) for a good cause. I truly can't imagine the event going differently without truly taking away from what the night was, and what I've always thought it meant in the story of George Harrison. His walking out to Wah Wah with a kind of look like "well, here goes nothing" and absolutely @#$%& killing it all night has always been the personification of George to me.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 26, 2020 12:40

Everybody knows I love The Rolling Stones .... but this was for charity

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-26 23:00 by midimannz.

Posted by: HTD ()
Date: September 1, 2020 20:56

Lennon refusing to perform without letting Yoko squeal on stage is in Philip Norman's biography, "John Lennon: The Life" and in his McCartney biography, "Paul McCartney". It's also in Richard White's book, "Come Together: Lennon and McCartney in the Seventies". Norman's are well researched. Whether White got his info from Norman's books, I don't know.

I for one thank God George Harrison did it. Just a listen to "Live Peace In Toronto 1969" tells you why.

Duck

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 1, 2020 21:30

Is the line that Lennon wrote about Paul in "How Do You Sleep?" (released that same year) that goes:

"Jump when your momma tell you anything."

the most unintentionally ironic thing ever written?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 1, 2020 23:53

KevinM
NICOS

Busted in Toronto '77...

"Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones was convicted in 1978 of heroin possession. His sentence? Playing a benefit concert for the CNIB in Toronto. The concert ended up taking place in Oshawa on April 22, 1979."...benefit for the Blind.

The rest of the Stones joined him for 10 out of a 18 song set.

Ketih Richards 1979 Benefit Concert

"The guitarist's sentence is to perform a charity concert for the Canadian National Institute for the Blind."
Guess this was not voluntarily

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 2, 2020 01:00

Mr Lennon was a master of irony. Unintentionally, mostly. The whole "give peace a chance" thing was amongst the most ironic musical concepts ever, imo.

Actually I think the first side of Live Peace in Toronto was one of, if not the, best thing Lennon ever recorded, outside of the Beatles. Of course, that is balanced by the second side, down to about an overall average 0 score. Pity. Even Eric Clapton was rolling his eyes.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home