Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Changing bridge plate and Saddles on 5 string open G Tele
Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: September 2, 2020 19:46

WHOA.....! To the Dan Armstrong plexi!!!!
Ah...a Marshall guy , like myself. Yes I have read about the versatility in tone of the 2555X.
That's a monster rig!
Congratz!
One presumes you ain't playing in your basement! lol
I'm looking into amp kits now for the Fender 5E3 circuit amp.
As mentioned am switching out the Tele from Steel bridge plate and saddles to brass. Uncertain to how that will translate thru the Marshall and that's why I'm looking into Fender.
Thanks for sharing The Greek
BP

Date: September 2, 2020 19:58

Mathijs

Keith's Micawbre received a brass bridge because it was the most modern thing to do, stuck brass things to your guitar. And apparently it was the only bridge available when they wanted to replace the old bridge in 1981.

Mathijs

Surely you're not suggesting that Keith's tech was going for fashion as opposed to sonic nuance ?!!! lol
BP

Date: September 2, 2020 20:10

So have we ( or me!) arrived at the conclusion that Keith essentially had no input or inkling about putting a Lap steel pup in the bridge position and the brass hardware?
That Keith's and the Stones iconic sound was actually cobbled together by guitar techs!! lol
Funny that!
However upon further inspection considering that a record producer is essentially responsible for how a band/song sounds I guess it's not a stretch to consider that a guitar tech would be responsible for how a guitarist sounds.
Those were early times though. Now a days guitarists are hands on to the extreme and more than likely DIY and craft the sound they want themselves.
BP

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 2, 2020 20:13

banditpanda
WHOA.....! To the Dan Armstrong plexi!!!!
Ah...a Marshall guy , like myself. Yes I have read about the versatility in tone of the 2555X.
That's a monster rig!
Congratz!
One presumes you ain't playing in your basement! lol
I'm looking into amp kits now for the Fender 5E3 circuit amp.
As mentioned am switching out the Tele from Steel bridge plate and saddles to brass. Uncertain to how that will translate thru the Marshall and that's why I'm looking into Fender.
Thanks for sharing The Greek
BP
You are very welcome . No basement for me as that's not my type of environment . Took me forever and a half to get there , where I actually like my tone . I was always a Les Paul guy , who enjoyed the Fender flavors as well .When I was a kid my first electric was a Les Paul and a kid that I use to play with had a Stratocaster and we were always trading until his parents brought back my Les Paul and took there kids Stratocaster back home with them . Funny about his CBS Fender Stratocaster was in the early 80's he traded it in to the local mom and pop shop for a BC Rich guitar that had the sort of Flying V style body with the Gibson 3 on 3 headstock design for the gears and a maple neck with a rosewood board .It's funny how disgusted his parents were back then when they would hand my Les Paul back to me . So of course I then had to get a Stratocaster and then a few years after that the Telecaster , which I always thought of as being butt ugly , but then Keith Richards playing a Telecaster made me want one and it totally blew my mind away that the Telecaster sounded better than a Stratocaster . Even though Jimi Hendrix was known for playing Stratocasters and we were always trying to copy him when we were kids and we had those Big Muff Distortion pedals thru our Silverface Fender Twin Reverbs ( those amps set on 10 would have the cops ringing our doorbell all the time , and the one cop who would always come to the house and would say "what are you kids doing ?" and we would say just playing our guitars and he would warn us that he didn't want to come back over for the same thing ! ) that would not break up and distort the way we wanted them to , so hence the Big Muff Distortion Pedals . So it was required to have both flavors to cover the territory of Les Paul's with humbucking pickups and Fender guitars with the single coil pickups . I would like to hear more about your 5E3 build as that is a classic circuit . You can probably tell that this is fun stuff !

Date: September 3, 2020 00:34

Well as I mentioned am researching now.
This what I am currently looking at:

[www.trinityamps.com]
BP

Date: September 3, 2020 13:39

banditpanda
Mathijs

Keith's Micawbre received a brass bridge because it was the most modern thing to do, stuck brass things to your guitar. And apparently it was the only bridge available when they wanted to replace the old bridge in 1981.

Mathijs

Surely you're not suggesting that Keith's tech was going for fashion as opposed to sonic nuance ?!!! lol
BP
Mathijs is right . Here is why - back then the market for spare /replacement parts was not like today where it's a buyers market like going to the swap meet in Southern California . Besides getting lucky and finding gutted out parts from Fenders or Gibson's you had to use what was available ( bridge ) Then you mentioned the Lap steel pickup and I think Keith has the ears to know what kind of "sound" he was looking for and probably tried out different pickups that Alan Rogan his then guitar tech in 1981 procured for him unless Keith was gutting them out from instruments from the Stones warehouse of musical goodies . I believe it was born out of wanting to upgrade to get the desired sonic abilities that Keith sought out at the time . People that have worked for Keith over the years know his taste and what he likes in his six strings and who wouldn't want to please Keith ? I also think that Keith was not one for whimsical adventures as far as his guitars and his "sound/tone" I think someone of Keith's abilities and stature command attention as far as his musical needs goes . Keith could write books and teach master classes at University in tone , guitars, and amps . The guitar tech that I have been working with the last 5 years knows what I like in my guitars and how to set them up for and make them work for me and my needs . I just have to supply him with the parts and the instruments and he knows how to do the rest and it sure is nice that he gets me and it is less communicating that I have to do or explain to him what I want . That certainly is a nice thing . I don't have the luxury of Keith where his guys ( Pierre ) seek out musical equipment for him , I have to do the leg work on that . At the same time that is a lot of fun as well - the hunt ! COVID-19 has thrown a monkey wrench into the mix where I am still getting work done but not at the same frequency as prior to the pandemic .

Date: September 4, 2020 13:44

banditpanda
Well as I mentioned am researching now.
This what I am currently looking at:

[www.trinityamps.com]
BP
So I just looked at this and looks like it's a fun project . So the customer would then assemble the kit ? From reading the description it looks like it is good quality , for a good price . Please keep us informed as you go thru this process as I am interested .

Date: September 16, 2020 17:02

Have abandoned that project because for the same price of just the guts of the Trinity kit I can get a brand new Fender Pro Junior IV !
BP

Date: September 16, 2020 18:13

banditpanda
Have abandoned that project because for the same price of just the guts of the Trinity kit I can get a brand new Fender Pro Junior IV !
BP
It all works out in the end for making music which is the most fun .

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home