Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Any Cheap Trick Fans Here?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 22, 2020 19:03

You can fool some people some of the time...

jb

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 22, 2020 19:28

jb, are you Bun E. Carlos? So much anger ..... LOL

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 22, 2020 20:03

I like a good cheap trick!

This one's a favorite ... too funny ... only 15 cents

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 22, 2020 21:37

I love "Surrender"

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 22, 2020 23:17

Studio version. Past their prime but feisty!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 22, 2020 23:38

Being from Wisconsin, I've seen CT dozens of times over the years in all types of venues, large and small. They are always entertaining. Back in college, I often walked past Bun E. Carlos on the way to campus(where I had classes with Joan Cusack) and he always waved hello.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 23, 2020 01:47

One of my favourite scenes from Fast Times at Ridgemont High is when Mike Damone is at school at the bleachers trying to scalp the Cheap Trick tickets to the girl:

"Can you honestly tell me that you forgot. Forgot the magnetism of Robin Zander or the charisma of Rick Neilsen?"
"That's kids stuff"
"Kids stuff? What about the tunes? I Want You To Want Me. The Dream Police da da da da da da da da. Your mommy's alright, your daddy's alright, they just seem a little bit weird, surrender..."

Then Stacey Hamilton interrupts them and informs Mike she's pregnant.

One of my favourite movies!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 23, 2020 03:58

Consider me "fooled"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 23, 2020 04:38

Elmo Lewis
RisingStone
Cheap Trick At Budokan not only elevated the group to stardom but also made the Budokan world famous and one of the most celebrated, iconic rock venues of all. However, the bulk of this album is actually from the Koseinenkin Kaikan (a 2,400 seater), Osaka, April 27, 1978, the previous date to the Budokan shows (April 28 and 30). The story goes that the producer found the tapes recorded at the Budokan unusable for the most part for some technical reason therefore opted for the Osaka recording, supposedly prepared for the backup. It has been no secret from the day it was released, but my general impression is that both record company and journalists have deliberately avoided mentioning this fact as much as possible to this day, presumably to keep the prestige that is attached to the album and the venue. I have never come across a track-by-track recording credit (the date and the venue on each track) anywhere, even in an “in-depth” feature of the album in a music magazine. Ever.

I have the "Budokan: The Complete Concert"CDs, but am not sure where/when it was recorded. Same version of the songs from the original album and Ric even mentions Budokan as they're headed to the stage. We may never know.

There are some tracks that were recorded at the Budokan for sure. For instance, Ain’t That A Shame was not played in Osaka hence from either one of the Tokyo shows.
The exact ratio of the takes chosen for the release between the Osaka and Tokyo shows is still unclear after all these years, which is frustrating. Over the years, though, I have come across a number of comments on the internet or elsewhere that the majority if not all of the ten tracks selected for the original At Budokan album is from the Koseinenkin Kaikan.
At least one thing is clear — I Want You To Want Me, the performance that contains the most iconic moment of the album, that collective shout of “cryin’, cryin’, cryin’” from the Japanese young girls, is a take from the Koseinenkin Kaikan not Budokan.

[producelikeapro.com]

[www.mixonline.com]

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 05:28 by RisingStone.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 23, 2020 07:17

schillid
I like a good cheap trick!

This one's a favorite ... too funny ... only 15 cents

go for the x-ray glasses instead!

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: August 23, 2020 08:58

I saw them at the El Mocambo in the late 70s. I played their first three albums quite a bit. Fave track “Mandocello.”

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 23, 2020 19:16

schillid
[Onion gum is] a favorite ... too funny ... only 15 cents

treaclefingers

That's a GREAT cheap trick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 19:16 by schillid.

Date: August 24, 2020 01:27

schillid
schillid
[Onion gum is] a favorite ... too funny ... only 15 cents

treaclefingers

That's a GREAT cheap trick!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Lucab12 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:56

I am actually working on a book on Budokan at 45 and spoke to Bruce Dickinson who produced the complete one and also who helped sell the import at Harvard Coop in Boston. Also chatted with Eric Hurwitz who wrote that Mixonline piece. Youre right that Jack Douglas says its Osaka not Budokan. There is no romance in Cheap Trick at Osaka, he says.
[producelikeapro.com]

I'd love to solicit anyones thoughts since I am trying to collect as many perspectives as possible on the impact, legacy etc of the album

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 8, 2022 17:09

Wow, all my years of being a Trick fan and I didn't know that. I bought the import LP when it was just released. It was a special time in Rock And Roll history.

Date: April 8, 2022 17:27

DGA35
Was a big fan during Budokan/Dream Police era. Don't like the fact that Bun E Carlos is no longer with them. Was actually supposed to see them on May 1 opening for ZZ Top in Abbotsford near Vancouver.

Ha, I still have the Dream Police album from '79 I think.

Date: April 8, 2022 17:28

leteyer
I love "Surrender"

yes, great tune.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 8, 2022 19:02

I always loved the band but was put off by the horrible way they treated Bun E. Carlos so Rick's son could be the drummer. There's more to it than that but evidently you don't want to cross Robin.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 8, 2022 19:12

One of my favorite bands, seen them maybe 15 times,

I thought they were better than ZZ Top in the tour they did together a few years ago (and I've seen ZZ maybe 6 times).

Still sound great and put on a great show. Though take ear plugs, still one of the loudest bands out there.

Date: April 8, 2022 20:29

treaclefingers
DGA35
Was a big fan during Budokan/Dream Police era. Don't like the fact that Bun E Carlos is no longer with them. Was actually supposed to see them on May 1 opening for ZZ Top in Abbotsford near Vancouver.

Still have my Budokan and Dream Police albums! Well, after 2 covid delays, I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks in Abbotsford opening for ZZ. Then I'll be seeing them again in June when they open for Rod Stewart in Vancouver!

Date: April 8, 2022 21:29

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

Still have my Budokan and Dream Police albums! Well, after 2 covid delays, I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks in Abbotsford opening for ZZ. Then I'll be seeing them again in June when they open for Rod Stewart in Vancouver!

That's great. I've seen these shows come up in my feed but just didn't feel motivated to pull the trigger. A little over a week ago Santana tix were all half price at Abbotsford. Thought about it but again didn't pull the trigger. I saw him in 2018 I think, and that felt just about fine.

Not sure what will get me out of my rocking chair to rock.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 10, 2022 12:35

treaclefingers

I recall you are based in the Vancouver area that was skipped by the Stones due to Covid last year. There are several shows I would consider with ZZ Top and the 80s metal feast on Sept02 as my favourites.

Saturday 16 April 2022: Alice Cooper and Buckcherry, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Saturday 23 April 2022: ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, and Marquise Knox, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Thursday 12 May 2022: James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and Jackson Browne, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Friday 10 June 2022: Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 12 June 2022: Primus and Black Mountain, Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 03 July 2022: The Circle Jerks and 7Seconds, Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 17 July 2022: The Black Crowes, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Monday 29 August 2022: Alicia Keys, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Friday 02 September 2022: Line-up: Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Poison, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 10, 2022 14:27

I'll see them in Montreal next September as they will open for Rod Stewart.

Date: April 10, 2022 14:34

daniel t
I'll see them in Montreal next September as they will open for Rod Stewart.

I hope to catch that show in Jacksonville.

Date: April 11, 2022 05:41

skytrench
treaclefingers

I recall you are based in the Vancouver area that was skipped by the Stones due to Covid last year. There are several shows I would consider with ZZ Top and the 80s metal feast on Sept02 as my favourites.

Saturday 16 April 2022: Alice Cooper and Buckcherry, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Saturday 23 April 2022: ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, and Marquise Knox, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Thursday 12 May 2022: James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and Jackson Browne, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Friday 10 June 2022: Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 12 June 2022: Primus and Black Mountain, Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 03 July 2022: The Circle Jerks and 7Seconds, Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sunday 17 July 2022: The Black Crowes, Abbotsford Centre, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Monday 29 August 2022: Alicia Keys, Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Friday 02 September 2022: Line-up: Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Poison, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hey Skytrench, are you going to all these? I'm going to Alice, ZZ and Rod from this list. Also Killers in late August and Elton again in October. Still on the fence about Motley. Seen all the bands, lots of tickets still available. Just don't know if I want to sit through a 7 hour concert.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 11, 2022 11:48

DGA35
Hey Skytrench, are you going to all these? I'm going to Alice, ZZ and Rod from this list. Also Killers in late August and Elton again in October. Still on the fence about Motley. Seen all the bands, lots of tickets still available. Just don't know if I want to sit through a 7 hour concert.

Unfortunately no, since I live in Europe. Looks like you've got some good shows lines up! Yes, 7 hours is long. A good chance to catch several of acts though and hopefully some of them are rocking it that day. I don't know how nice the facilities at the stadium are and if one can roam around during the less interesting periods.

Posted by: Lucab12 ()
Date: June 2, 2023 01:03

Actually, Bun E Carlos has suggested that the album is equally the two Budo shows and the one Osaka. Jack Douglas talks a lot of nonesense

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 2, 2023 01:17

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 2, 2023 03:41

Their recent limited edition set "Live at the Whisky 1977" is fantastic!

Date: June 2, 2023 04:32

roryfaninva

Great song - very Whoish

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home