Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: A Song For Joe - Celebrating The Birthday Of Joe Strummer, August 21
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 19, 2020 04:22

Re: OT: A Song For Joe - Celebrating The Birthday Of Joe Strummer, August 21
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 19, 2020 04:55

I remain one of his #1 fans. I only recently got into some of his Mescaleros. Streetcore and Rock Art & the X Ray Style are both great releases very reminiscent of the Clash but distinctive enough to stand alone. Have that benefit two record set that is great too, and the multi disk compilation Joe Strummer 001 was well worth buying too. All have a signature sound to them, especially heavy on the reggae vibe.

jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:23

He's been gone how long now? Cancer? Sure way too young.

Before the first Bay Area appearance of the Clash when i was a student at Berkeley, I happened upon him and the drummer (? name?) in Tower Records in Berkeley and took pics and got autographs. I think that's the time when they played the Kezar Pavilion in Golden Gate Park. My indelible impression and memory of that show is how hard they, and Joe in particular, played that night and the body language and look on his face, like he just MEANT IT with all of his being. Very intense, more than I've ever seen before or since on a rock n roll stage.

plexi

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 19, 2020 07:24

timbernardis

Before the first Bay Area appearance of the Clash when i was a student at Berkeley, I happened upon him and the drummer (? name?)

Nicky (Topper) Headon

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 19, 2020 08:24

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 19, 2020 14:23

I bet Bruce does London Calling. Train in Vain would be nice to hear although Mick Jones sings that one.

Date: August 19, 2020 16:16

I guess "Rock the Casbah" is out of the question?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 19, 2020 16:29

By all accounts a super nice guy. He died of a heart attack not cancer.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 19, 2020 17:02

Somebody will perform Rock The Casbah, perhaps DJ Scratchy?

Bob Weir has sung Train In Vain with Furthur, but is more likely to reprise his collaboration with Jesse Malin on Death And Glory. Here is the version they performed at Weir’s TRI Studios in 2015:

[m.youtube.com]

Joe was a good man. I got to meet him a couple of months before his passing when the Mescaleros did an instore performance at the Tower Records on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.

After the show they queued the crowd back up outside and Joe patiently greeted one and all and signed various things. People had brought old albums, photos and framed magazine covers. I had just found out about the show that afternoon and hadn’t thought to bring anything for him to sign.

While waiting in line, I thumbed through a copy of that days L.A. Times, as I recalled that the band had chosen the name The Clash because it was the word they most often saw in the papers. No luck finding a headline with “clash” in it, but there was a photo of a large group of refugees in Kashmir walking down a road carrying their worldly possessions on their heads. I wrote some lyrics from “Something About England” and “Rock The Casbah” over the photo, “They say the immigrants steal the hubcaps of respected gentlemen...but...Shareef don’t like it!!!”, with a circle around the A in “Shareef”, and asked Joe if he would mind signing it. He looked at it for a moment and said, “that’s that trouble they’re having in Kashmir, eh?”, and then he signed it.

It was hard to comprehend he was gone a few short months later. He had seemed so at peace with himself, and the Mescaleros had sounded great and put on a memorable performance. It felt like he was just getting started again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-19 17:08 by Javadave.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 19, 2020 17:03

This will be well worth the time. The Jones Strummer team up was a dream...

Date: August 19, 2020 17:16

Javadave
Somebody will perform Rock The Casbah, perhaps DJ Scratchy?

Bob Weir has sung Train In Vain with Furthur, but is more likely to reprise his collaboration with Jesse Malin on Death And Glory. Here is the version they performed at Weir’s TRI Studios in 2015:

[m.youtube.com]

Joe was a good man. I got to meet him a couple of months before his passing when the Mescaleros did an instore performance at the Tower Records on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.

After the show they queued the crowd back up outside and Joe patiently greeted one and all and signed various things. People had brought old albums, photos and framed magazine covers. I had just found out about the show that afternoon and hadn’t thought to bring anything for him to sign.

While waiting in line, I thumbed through a copy of that days L.A. Times, as I recalled that the band had chosen the name The Clash because it was the word they most often saw in the papers. No luck finding a headline with “clash” in it, but there was a photo of a large group of refugees in Kashmir walking down a road carrying their worldly possessions on their heads. I wrote some lyrics from “Something About England” and “Rock The Casbah” over the photo, “They say the immigrants steal the hubcaps of respected gentlemen...but...Shareef don’t like it!!!”, with a circle around the A in “Shareef”, and asked Joe if he would mind signing it. He looked at it for a moment and said, “that’s that trouble they’re having in Kashmir, eh?”, and then he signed it.

It was hard to comprehend he was gone a few short months later. He had seemed so at peace with himself, and the Mescaleros had sounded great and put on a memorable performance. It felt like he was just getting started again.

Great Read!!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 19, 2020 17:31

One of the best!

It's a Rockin' World

And w/ the Pogues, I fought the Law:

I Fought the Law, w/ Pogues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-19 17:34 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 19:41

One of the greatest of all times, gone way too early, but never forgotten.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2020 20:06

The Clash were amongst my favorite top bands late '70's-early '80's - from seeing them live at the Santa Monica Civic, and then open for the Who a couple years later at the L.a. Coliseum,
and finally, seeing them at gigantic 3 day outdoor US Festival 83 (their last show ever with Mick Jones) where they headlined the first night...for me, easily the highlight of the entire festival.
Each and every time the shows were fully packed 100% with energy overload, and balanced on the egde between chaos and cohesion from start to finish...always fantastic...
It was shocking and sad when Joe passed away...only 50 years old...strange to think he'd be 68...what a damn shame...looking forward to this live stream...most of it anyways.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 20:36

Wasn't a huge Clash fan back in the day but I had London Calling. Remember seeing them on Saturday Night Live when Ron Howard was the host. They sang Should I Stay or Should I Go and Go Straight To Hell, which I really liked. Ended up buying a 12 inch single of that song.
I remember back in the mid 80s when the band had broken up, I believe there were 3 versions of The Clash touring, Joe's version, Mick's version and Topper's version.

Date: August 19, 2020 20:42

BTW who is televising this event?

Date: August 19, 2020 20:45

Joe continued on with "The Clash" with several replacement members for several years (and a decision which he later regretted) - but the last album made by this diluted version was easily their worst.
Mick Jones never continued as "The Clash" in any way, shape, or form - he went on to form Big Audio Dynamite.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 19, 2020 20:51

LOVED Jpe Strummer ! Loved the Clash !

Date: August 19, 2020 20:53

London Calling Album Cover could rank as the best ever- not saying it is but very iconic just the same.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 19, 2020 21:19

loog droog
timbernardis

Before the first Bay Area appearance of the Clash when i was a student at Berkeley, I happened upon him and the drummer (? name?)

Nicky (Topper) Headon

People have mentioned Mick Jones, that's who was with him.

plexi

Date: August 19, 2020 22:17

The Clash stayed at my friends' squat sort of thing in Sacramento for a day or two, the Stucco Factory it was called before and after their local performance and a couple in San Francisco. I was asked to assemble a reggae tape for them to play before their performances and Mikey Dread was pretty impressed with it he said. I went over there after their performance at Memorial Auditorium and hung out for a while. I know Strummer and Simenon were there but dont know about Mick Jones, didnt see him. and Topper was out scoring junk apparently. But I had a good talk with Strummer and Mikey Dread that evening. Joe was supposed to come by my radio show the next day but he never made it. Sure wish he had, but he was being pulled in ten directions it seemed so it was understandable he did not.

jb

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 20, 2020 07:43

jbwelda
The Clash stayed at my friends' squat sort of thing in Sacramento for a day or two, the Stucco Factory it was called before and after their local performance and a couple in San Francisco. I was asked to assemble a reggae tape for them to play before their performances and Mikey Dread was pretty impressed with it he said. I went over there after their performance at Memorial Auditorium and hung out for a while. I know Strummer and Simenon were there but dont know about Mick Jones, didnt see him. and Topper was out scoring junk apparently. But I had a good talk with Strummer and Mikey Dread that evening. Joe was supposed to come by my radio show the next day but he never made it. Sure wish he had, but he was being pulled in ten directions it seemed so it was understandable he did not.

jb

Was this in 82, when they played Sacramento between the 2 nights in Oakland opening for the WHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 19:26 by snorton.

Date: August 20, 2020 07:58

If you mean the Who, yeah I believe that is right, not sure but makes sense. I think they actually played my tape before their set too. A brief brush with stardom. Did you go to those shows?

In Sacramento they literally blew the doors off the place, the old Memorial Auditorium, way too loud, like they were forcing the echo of the place out of the building. I remember my ears ringing for days after that one. Seems to me they played somewhere else in the bay area right before or after that too, because I seem to remember thinking they sounded a lot better there than in Sacramento.

I know I didn't go to the Who shows, which must have been at the Coloseum, and outdoors?

jb

Date: August 21, 2020 17:57

Date: August 22, 2020 06:00

Well...missed the live stream earlier today, but just watched the opening including that performance of Police on My Back by Joe and the Mescaleros that starts right at the 5:00 minute mark.
One of his last performances...wow...an unrelenting and ferocious wave of energy...good old Joe never just never slowed down...not sure I want to watch any more of the tributes after that,
but might zip through a few some other time. Instead, think I'm gonna revisit The Clash: Westway to the World ...haven't seen since it in many years, recommended...thumbs up

Date: August 22, 2020 17:01

Bob Weir told a great story about meeting Joe in Philadelphia in 1984. Joe was eager to talk about Pigpen.

Image courtesy of [www.njarts.net]

Date: August 22, 2020 19:11

Pigpen was the heart and soul of the Grateful Dead. When he left/died, they lost a lot that they never recovered. Mr Strummer was very perceptive in his interest in the man.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home