Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wild Thing: The Short, Spellbinding Life of Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 17, 2020 18:08

New book on Hendrix to be released on 9/15/2020

According to the spin- another talented and tortured artist:

Jimi Hendrix’s father never showed him any love until he was dead, reveals biographer PHILIP NORMAN

[diazhub.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 22:18 by Sighunt.

Re: Wild Thing: The Short, Spellbinding Life of Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 18, 2020 07:06

Sighunt

Jimi Hendrix’s father never showed him any love until he was dead, reveals biographer PHILIP NORMAN

[diazhub.com]

And then attempted to suck every dollar he could from Jimi's estate.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 18, 2020 07:12

StonedAsiaExile
Sighunt

[diazhub.com]

And then attempted to suck every dollar he could from Jimi's estate.

Isn't that the sad truth?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2020 07:46

what more is there ta tell ..... ??????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2020 10:13

Please. What is left to say? Who is left to interview? Leon? Janie? No one was there when Jimi was growing up but his father and he.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 30, 2020 16:20

I really like Philip Norman's work; he goes back a long way. But how long can you pick over the bones of this long-dead musician. Everything has already been said, and then some...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 30, 2020 17:12

Bliss
I really like Philip Norman's work; he goes back a long way. But how long can you pick over the bones of this long-dead musician. Everything has already been said, and then some...

I hear you. And I think this starts to be the same thing for all of these legendary old guard rock artists, being alive or not. Among them, our own heroes. No matter how much I enjoyed them in the past, personally I stopped reading these biographies ages ago, The Stones being a guilty pleasure, though. I especially draw the line with Dylan - nowadays I am only interested in his art alone: his recorded stuff and live performances, with some occasional interview he chooses to do.

It could be that some interesting new detail or even perspective, can be found, for example, in the case of Hendrix, but to read a whole book for that - which still goes along the familiar, many times told lines - please...

- Doxa

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 30, 2020 19:34

I would like to read more about his career before "hitting it big". He backed a lot of musicians and was in a lot of touring bands before anyone had ever heard of him.

jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:50

The last Hendrix biography I read was 'Room Full of Mirrors' by Charles Cross. It was pretty thorough. Covered the early days, as much as they could be covered. I don't know what else there would be to go over. I wouldn't mind reading a long magazine article on what happened after he died. His mysterious manager who also croaked. His sister, who he met once? Janie. And how she and Al wrested control of Jimi's estate from Warner Brothers.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 1, 2020 15:45

One thing is sure : Jimi is the unluckiest man in 20th century show-biz : when he was alive he was surrounded with a-holes and vultures (Mike Jeffries or Ed Chalpin, the Ppx label guy who signed him in exchange of the "princely" advance of... one dollar).

Dead, his estate is in the hands of... a-holes and vultures.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 1, 2020 16:07

dcba
One thing is sure : Jimi is the unluckiest man in 20th century show-biz : when he was alive he was surrounded with a-holes and vultures (Mike Jeffries or Ed Chalpin, the Ppx label guy who signed him in exchange of the "princely" advance of... one dollar).

Dead, his estate is in the hands of... a-holes and vultures.

Except he was Ronnie Wood's roommate.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 2, 2020 02:51

24FPS
Please. What is left to say?

Bliss
But how long can you pick over the bones of this long-dead musician. Everything has already been said, and then some...

Speaking of that...

The legend goes that, according to Chas Chandler, the catalyst that Jimi accepted his future manager’s persuasion to move over from New York to London was that he was hoping to meet Eric Clapton in person. One thing I am intrigued by this anecdote is, had Jimi actually heard Eric’s recorded performance — Eric had not set foot on the American soil at this point — before he left the U.S?

Jimi flew out to Britain in late September, 1966. The U.S. output Eric had received by then were just three LP’s — The Yardbirds’ For Your Love (release date: July, 1965) and Having A Rave Up With The Yardbirds (release date: November, 1965) as well as What’s Shakin’, a compilation album (release date: June, 1966). Of which, the former two titles are culled from the band’s British release up to that point, half-Clapton, half-Beck-era material, and the latter contains three tracks by The Powerhouse, a tentative studio unit put together for the recording. The definitive Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton album (AKA ‘Beano’ album) was released in Britain in July, 1966, but it had to wait until March 1967 for its stateside release.

In all honesty, I don’t think Jimi would have been impressed by Eric’s playing from the then available records so much so that he was dying to see this obscure (on that side of the pond, at least) guitar player across the ocean, even if he heard it at all. Technically speaking, it is probable that an import copy of the Beano album may have been around at some selected record shops in Manhattan. But given the timeframe — he had barely two months to go before leaving his home country — and considering his financial circumstances (he was skint, a poor musician who lived from hand to mouth to make ends to meet), it is safe to assume there was a very slim chance if at all that he spent on a pricy import copy of the rather niche record.

My take is that Jimi heard the name of Eric Clapton from the tourists from Britain, including musicians and their wives and girlfriends, e.g. Linda Keith, who visited Cafe Wha’ to see his performance, which aroused interest in him. He hadn’t necessarily been impressed by Eric’s play.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 20, 2020 13:37

What do you think folks — had Jimi actually heard the ‘Beano’ album before he left New York to relocate to London? As I posted above, I doubt it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home