Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Plane CONCORDE - Anyone of the Stones flew in the Concorde?
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:55

i never understood why concorde was not fuel efficient compared to aircraft which flew lower, and slower in airspace which gave a plane more drag, that is why concorde never became the plane it was designed to be, it was an engineering marvel but a commercial disaster in the long run, should never had been scrapped though.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: August 18, 2020 04:42

buttons67
i never understood why concorde was not fuel efficient compared to aircraft which flew lower, and slower in airspace which gave a plane more drag, that is why concorde never became the plane it was designed to be, it was an engineering marvel but a commercial disaster in the long run, should never had been scrapped though.

A couple of things to consider when comparing the Concorde (supersonic) to a Boeing 767 (sub-sonic):

Visually, the structure/airframe design is totally different.
The Concorde shape is that of a high speed, low lift airplane. Not much room for cargo, and the max passenger configuration was only slightly over 100. This airplane was built to fly fast, not to haul cargo.
The 767 is built differently. It is a much more high lift design with room for lots of cargo and nearly 300 passengers. This airplane was designed to be a money maker - good fuel economy while hauling large loads.

The Concorde flew at speeds above the speed of sound. The 767 cannot exceed the speed of sound. The laws of physics change when you exceed the speed of sound. The jet engines for the Concorde are considerably different than 767 engines because of this. The 767 engines are fuel efficient, high bypass, fan engines which cannot be used on a supersonic plane. The Concorde engines were pure jet engines, inefficient but high power. There a lot of challenges with supersonic jet engines - shockwave compression and that kind of stuff.

Comparing the Concorde against a 767 is like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruit, yet very different.
In the automobile world, the Concorde is the Ferrari while the 767 is the Honda mini-van.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 18, 2020 04:46

Although, I thankfully lived nowhere near the flight path. I heard the noise first hand while stuck in traffic on the belt parkway. It was an extremely violent unbearable noise. My heart went out to the people who were subjected to it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 18, 2020 07:10

cmc

The laws of physics change when you exceed the speed of sound.

Maybe better put that the laws of physics that apply change when you exceed the speed of sound.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 18, 2020 07:13

MisterO
Although, I thankfully lived nowhere near the flight path. I heard the noise first hand while stuck in traffic on the belt parkway. It was an extremely violent unbearable noise. My heart went out to the people who were subjected to it.

It was noisy. I lived near Bristol in the UK for some years that was under the flightpath out of Heathrow - although it was about 100 miles West. By that time Concorde was really high and moving very fast.

Each day it would take off at (I think) 10:45am and fly over us at 10:55am - we'd see it as a tiny white trianlge in the sky and then we'd hear the noise from the engines.

I was also at Filton (where the UK ones were serviced) when it took off from there for some reason. That was loud.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: August 18, 2020 12:01

I have a memory of Concorde and a RS concert all rolled into one -

I was at the Twickenham concert 24th August 2003. We were waiting, in the beautiful evening sun, for the show to start, when Concorde flew over. It’s withdrawal from service had recently been announced. So the crowd gave an almighty cheer, even a standing ovation from many.

Anyone else remember that moment?

Date: August 18, 2020 13:58

I was fortunate enough to fly on Concorde a few times. A roundtrip to Washington Dulles in 1981 and a roundtrip to JFK about 10 years later. The New York trip was a day return, however things didn't quite work out as planned. We were taxiing out to the runway at Heathrow and I was thinking this was taking a long time. Then came the announcement from the Captain in a very calm and professional 'British Airways' way : "Ladies and Gentlemen, some of you may have noticed we are returning to the terminal building and are being accompanied by two fire engines. I can assure you there is nothing to worry about, but we have detected a potential fault in our braking system which needs to be checked to ensure all is ok. Whilst this would not be a problem for our take off here at Heathrow, we do not want any difficulties upon landing at Kennedy"!

In the end, we duly took off and had less than an hour in New York before boarding the return flight. There was a raised eyebrow from the usually stoney faced customs official when he asked "How long do you intend to stay in the United States?" and I replied "about one hour"!

Date: August 18, 2020 14:29

Fantastic machine, but you wouldn't get me in there for a 100.000 dollars. confused smiley

Concorde's first flight 1969.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 18, 2020 15:14

Massimo68
Paris CDG Airport (1986? 1987?), Keith with an Air France Concorde travel kit :

This picture is from The Pathé-Marconi studios, not CDG airport.

edit : Photo taken by François Dumond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 18:47 by LiveAtHidepark.

Date: August 18, 2020 15:35

JMARCOU

Please Hervé,post your "1985-05-21 - #20 - Pellicule 8".In fact it is my favorite
pic of Keith off stage.

Just talked on the phone with Hervé. He can't post the picture, he have been banned since a long time now and he never tried to register again.

Anyway here is the picture :

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: August 18, 2020 15:43

CaptainCorella
cmc

The laws of physics change when you exceed the speed of sound.

Maybe better put that the laws of physics that apply change when you exceed the speed of sound.

Airflow. The following excerpt mentions the “inlet” which is the very front of the jet engine.

“The inlet’s job is complicated by the fact that air moving supersonically behaves differently from subsonic air. An aircraft flying subsonically pushes through the air ahead of it, with each molecule of air having plenty of time to pass over its wings and fuselage. But as an airplane approaches Mach 1, it compresses the air ahead of it into shock waves—bands of air radiating from the airplane that are much hotter and denser than the ambient air.”
[www.airspacemag.com]

That paragraph says it well without too much detail. Airflow changes at supersonic speeds.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 18, 2020 15:49

Is that Blue Lena Keith is about to enter?

LiveAtHidepark

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 15:56

dead.flowers

LiveAtHidepark

It must be. He had it for years. Look, it's right hand drive. There was some brilliant footage on youtube for a while showing them all arriving and departing for Dirty Work Recording sessions in Paris in spring/Summer 1985. Keith had an old Rolls Royce then and had his dad with him. It was later deleted though. Ronnie and Jo were in a Peugeot 205 grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 16:08 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 18, 2020 16:19

It must be. He had it for years. Look, it's right hand drive.

Yes, all looks S3 Continental Flying Spur, the hood ornament also Bentley. And, the side mirror seems to be removed from the side window to the fender (not visible here), as Keith had it done before.

There was some brilliant footage on youtube for a while showing them all arriving and departing for Dirty Work Recording sessions in Paris in spring/Summer 1985. Keith had an old Rolls Royce then and had his dad with him. It was later deleted though. Ronnie and Jo were in a Peugeot 205 grinning smiley

I remember that video. Good one. Pity that it's gone now.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 18, 2020 17:06

dead.flowers
Air France Concorde travel kit?

Cigarette, bandana and keffiyeh, right?

Massimo68
Paris CDG Airport (1986? 1987?), Keith with an Air France Concorde travel kit :

I love this photo...very rock and roll bohemian.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 18, 2020 17:17

What was the Concorde flight time between Heathrow and Gatwick?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 18, 2020 18:05

ryanpow

I think you get to Heathrow before you left Gatwick, but going in the other direction you arrive the next day.

Or something like that.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:18

ChrisL
ryanpow

I think you get to Heathrow before you left Gatwick, but going in the other direction you arrive the next day.

Or something like that.

That sounds about right.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 18, 2020 20:23

I heard they had some GRAPE JAM on the Concord!

Date: August 18, 2020 21:55

grzegorz67
dead.flowers

LiveAtHidepark

It must be. He had it for years. Look, it's right hand drive. There was some brilliant footage on youtube for a while showing them all arriving and departing for Dirty Work Recording sessions in Paris in spring/Summer 1985. Keith had an old Rolls Royce then and had his dad with him. It was later deleted though. Ronnie and Jo were in a Peugeot 205 grinning smiley

This Bentley - pictured by HP in June 1985

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home