Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Plane CONCORDE - Anyone of the Stones flew in the Concorde?
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 10:33

Yesterday i saw a film documentary about the plane Concorde.

Does anyone know whether the Stones or one of them flew in the Concorde.

Thx.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 10:35 by satisfaction2.

Re: Plane CONCORDE - Anyone of the Stones flew in the Concorde?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2020 10:43

From memory I'm sure I read
an article somewhere that Mick
was on a Concorde from London to New York ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 17, 2020 11:04

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: August 17, 2020 11:15

Many times i guess.

It was fast : you could do Paris-NYC-Paris in a day working some hours in New York

But the seats were very uncomfortable.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 17, 2020 11:15

Yep, read this

[metro.co.uk]

and this

[nypost.com]

Or

[www.alamy.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 11:18 by SKILLS.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 11:58

Way back in 1997 I travelled a lot to the USA for work. One day the airline company offered me a special deal. If I would change my direct Amsterdam-New York flight to AMS-Paris-NY they'd put me on the Concorde for the Paris-NY part. Same price.
Despite that high speed flight the switching planes part would altogether take almost three hours more than the direct flight so .... I declined the offer.
Missed a piece of history, but, as marclaff mentions, apparently the seats were not so comfortable. At least "my" 747 upper deck A77 seat (had that one many times) was very comfortable. Once I didn't recognize Isabella Rossellini (D77), I thought she was a nanny for a young boy next to her. Aaagggh.
smileys with beer

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: August 17, 2020 12:57

I saw many times Mick or Keith with nice leather lugages stamped CONCORDE.
Here a pic 1985.
[www.cjoint.com]

Please Hervé,post your "1985-05-21 - #20 - Pellicule 8".In fact it is my favorite
pic of Keith off stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 12:57 by JMARCOU.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 13:39

Paris CDG Airport (1986? 1987?), Keith with an Air France Concorde travel kit :

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 17, 2020 14:35

SKILLS
[www.alamy.com]

Who are the other persons in that pic?

Far right: A nanny?

Left: Karis and Jade? And who's the baby on Karis' arm?

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 17, 2020 14:41

Air France Concorde travel kit?

Cigarette, bandana and keffiyeh, right?

Massimo68
Paris CDG Airport (1986? 1987?), Keith with an Air France Concorde travel kit :

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 17, 2020 14:58

Damn, Keef looks rough... Very rarely we see him unshaved, so I guess there've been some.. hmm... interesting nights behind.. Probably not the best moment to take a Concorde ride either... tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 17, 2020 15:26

I have an interesting personal story here.

My dad flew back and forth to London several times on the Concorde in the 70s and 80s. He loved telling me the story about how he met MJ in the Concorde lounge when they were both checking out the liquor and pre-flight buffet. He told Mick that his son was a big fan and he was cordial. My Dad also remarked at how "little" he was and that he had a woman with him. He also saw him briefly on the plane. I think it was at the JFK lounge but good old Dad is no longer around to confirm location or date.

HBK

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 17, 2020 20:43

Concorde was such a stunning aeroplane and way ahead of it’s time in terms of technology.Unfortunately the tragic accident in Paris led to the entire fleet being grounded for a time but it was the events of September 11th the following year which made it commercially unviable going forward.
The Concorde room lounge at Heathrow which is still in use today does have some actual seats from the aircraft but indeed they are not particularly comfortable and certainly would not qualify as a first class seat at today’s standards.
Sadly now due to the Coronavirus crisis BA have in the last week announced the early and immediate retirement of their entire fleet of 747 Jumbo jets another truly iconic aircraft.

Let’s all hope we see the Stones jet back in the sky again sometime.

Nate

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-17 20:47 by Nate.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 17, 2020 21:24

In the pre-show portion of the original pay-per-view for Atlantic City 12/19/89 ("Terrifying") when asked what was the highlight of the tour, Bill Wyman said "the Concorde home" cool smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 17, 2020 21:30

I remember reading years ago that Mick and Keith were on a Concorde flight
that experienced severe turbulence, the kind that rattles the pilots.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 21:46

How long did it take to fly London to New York via Concorde vs a regular jet?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 17, 2020 22:21

I think Ronnie was a frequent flyer on it

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: August 17, 2020 22:54

DGA35

3h15.
(the record is 2h53)

Actually, it takes 7h30 for an Airbus or a Boeing to reach JFK.

Date: August 17, 2020 23:14

Nate
Unfortunately the tragic accident in Paris led to the entire fleet being grounded for a time but it was the events of September 11th the following year which made it commercially unviable going forward.

True! There’s a very good Air Disasters episode on the accident. AD is usually on Discovery or the Nat Geo channel.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 17, 2020 23:27

I have a flight certificate of Ronnie’s somewhere... there is also a luggage tag in Bill’s auction.

Date: August 17, 2020 23:29

Massimo68
DGA35

3h15.
(the record is 2h53)

Actually, it takes 7h30 for an Airbus or a Boeing to reach JFK.

As well as flying much quicker than regular jets Concorde also flew at a significantly higher cruising altitude of 56,000ft versus the typical cruising altitude of 40,000ft on a regular jet.Concorde also sometimes served other locations but primarily it was used on the Heathrow - JFK Route as it was and still is the most profitable commercial route in aviation and people were willing to pay big money to cut the flight time by more than half.

Nate

Date: August 17, 2020 23:54

There is a guy from here in the U.K. who holds an astonishing record of being Concordes most frequent flyer with 718 flights onboard Concorde and all of those 718 flights in his preferred seat 9A.
At the peak of his travelling he would make at least two return trips from London to New York a week.

Nate

Date: August 18, 2020 00:22

Nate
There is a guy from here in the U.K. who holds an astonishing record of being Concordes most frequent flyer with 718 flights onboard Concorde and all of those 718 flights in his preferred seat 9A.
At the peak of his travelling he would make at least two return trips from London to New York a week.

Nate

Did you see the Concorde docu? He was interviewed in it, I believe.

Date: August 18, 2020 00:46

DandelionPowderman
Nate

Nate

Did you see the Concorde docu? He was interviewed in it, I believe.

I’ve seen a few documentaries about Concorde but don’t recall seeing him interviewed I will take a look for it on YouTube.
His name is Fred Finn and he also holds the record for most miles flown with 15 million miles of worldwide travel under his belt to put that into perspective that is the equivalent of flying 750 return trips from the U.K. to Australia.
He has also visited Africa over 600 times.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 01:03

Concorde was a very advanced aircraft for its time but for environmental reasons, I cannot see another like it ever being produced. Its carbon footprint per passenger was astronomical although such concerns weren’t part of mainstream thinking back then.

In terms of sales, it was a commercial disaster. Only 14 ever flew in commercial service and no-one bought any apart from British Airways and Air France, who were and are the national flag carrier airlines of the 2 countries who collaborated in building it. When it was introduced, I seem to remember huge protests by locals complaining about the noise outside JFK.

To give it a Rolling Stones context, I remember reading a story that Mick and Keith were traveling together on it in around 1996 (during production of Btcool smiley when there was some kind of problem and it had to double back and return to London. Seemingly Keith looked out the window and said, “That’s funny, I’ve never flown over Iceland twice before!”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 01:08 by grzegorz67.

Date: August 18, 2020 01:20

There are several projects currently running to produce a new commercial supersonic jet.
If successful it will be much more fuel efficient than Concorde was.

Nate

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2020 01:27

GIANT rubber bands ..... but whos gonna wind them .... ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 01:38

Nate
There are several projects currently running to produce a new commercial supersonic jet.
If successful it will be much more fuel efficient than Concorde was.

Nate

But still have a horrendous carbon footprint. Just less horrendous than Concorde’s was. Even so it will be many years before it’s viable. Commercial aviation of all kinds has a few years in the doldrums ahead of it which is bad for it but good for the planet. There are hundreds of mothballed commercial aircraft lying idle all over the World.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:28

A British Airways Concorde flew into Dayton International Airport around 85-86 I think, not sure... can't remember a reason other than promotion of the aircraft? No idea why it would have come in... doubt there were passengers but who knows?

My Dad and I went down that evening, as they had parked it on the NE corner of the airport, well away from the terminal, at a private aviation company. The public was allowed to come and get pix, so we did, they're buried somewhere in the mid-80s portion of my collection! Haha!

The next day at work in Piqua, OH, a town about 20 miles directly north of DAY, I heard a roar and realized it had to be the Concorde. Sure enough, it came over Piqua, and I can understand where the locals in Queens would take notice... a totally unique sound to anything I had heard in the skies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 04:05 by TKinOH.

Date: August 18, 2020 03:42

We were living just outside Washington DC and could see the Concorde landing at Dulles International. In fact it was such a popular site for people to see when it was landing that they use to post the time it would land on some of the news stations.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home