Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Pete Way of UFO
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 14, 2020 23:03

Just saw a report Pete Way of UFO has died. Posted on his website.

Pete Way Official (Facebook announcement)

Iconic bass player Pete Way founder of UFO, Waysted and, latterly, The Pete Way Band has died.

He sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago but fought hard until finally succumbing to those injuries at 11.35am BST today. His wife, Jenny, was at his side.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 22:53 by bv.

Re: O/T Pete Way
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 14, 2020 23:39

That first Fastway album he did with Fast Eddie Clark was really good too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2020 00:27

Sad.............via Ultimate Classic Rock

Founding UFO bassist Pete Way has died at the age of 69.

"He sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago," explains a post on Way's official Facebook page, "but fought hard until finally succumbing to those injuries at 11.35am BST today. His wife, Jenny, was at his side."

Way helped start UFO alongside singer Phil Mogg, guitarist Mick Bolton and drummer Andy Parker in 1968. He performed on their first 10 studio albums – from 1970's UFO 1 to 1982's Mechanix – before departing with the idea of forming Fastway with Motorhead guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clark. Label contract problems forced him to leave Fastway, however, before they could record their 1983 debut. Way formed his own band after a brief stint playing with his good friend Ozzy Osbourne on the Speak of the Devil tour. Waysted then served as the opening act for Osbourne's Bark at the Moon tour. He returned to UFO six years later, and ultimately served as their bass player for more than 30 years, before health issues forced him off the road prior to a tour in support of 2009's The Visitor. Way later cited UFO's highly regarded 1979 double live album Strangers in the Nights as the highlight of his time with the group. "That was a summary of many years on the road, many albums and it was very successful," he told AntiHero in 2019. "And it proved how good we were live." When asked in the same interview what he hoped his legacy would be, Way answered: "Well, I just love to play rock music, you know. I’m old now. I pretend I’m not old but you look back and you go, you can’t, sort of not count the years. I don’t know. I’ve had a unique opportunity to play with some very good people."

RIP PETE WAY

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 15, 2020 01:37

RIP.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 15, 2020 01:49

RIP Pete.

I knew who UFO was but they didn't achieve success in North America like others in the early 80s. I wasn't aware of the legal situation with Fastway. I saw them in Vancouver the summer of 83 when they opened for Iron Maiden and Saxon. A few months later I saw them again when they opened for AC/DC.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2020 02:59

While they were never massive here in the US, they made an impression and sort of peaked around '77-'79 with the Lights Out album followed by the live Strangers in the Night album.
Tunes such as Lights Out, Rock Bottom, Doctor Doctor, Only You Can Rock Me, Too Hot to Handle, and Love to Love were mainstays and in heavy rotation on my local L.A. FM rock radio stations in the mid-late '70's.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 15, 2020 03:09

TumblinDice76
That first Fastway album he did with Fast Eddie Clark was really good too.

Saw those guys open for AC/DC once, really good!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 15, 2020 07:31

Kovach-interesting note on the AC/DC tour with Fastway in '83. Durring their stop in my home town of Peoria,IL AC/DC cracked the Ceiling of the then 2 year old Peoria Civic Center while firing the cannons durring FTATR and were banned for life from the Peoria Civic Center. I'm sure you know where this story is heading...fast forward to the Rock or Bust tour and their is our mayor on tv and in the paper dressed as Angus begging AC/DC to come back and play Peoria. No go, a stadium band like AC/DC is WAY too big for our Civic Center now. Careful who you ban!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 15, 2020 11:00

I saw him with UFO in a good concert in 1998.

RIP Pete Way

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home